Farang Food Shops In Cr

dsys

In a recent post looking for cheese I found out about northern farms. There must be other shops I do not know about. Can we compile a list of shops that peope recommend for farang foods and thier locations? Would be really helpfull for newbies like me.

In a recent post looking for cheese I found out about northern farms. There must be other shops I do not know about. Can we compile a list of shops that peope recommend for farang foods and thier locations? Would be really helpfull for newbies like me.

Sorry only know about Northern Farm, Makro, Big C and a few smaller shops around town.

There are a few bakeries around but I have yet to find one that I like , most of them having soft, sweet bread.

Sorry only know about Northern Farm, Makro, Big C and a few smaller shops around town.

There are a few bakeries around but I have yet to find one that I like , most of them having soft, sweet bread.

That's about the extent of my knowledge as well.

I have a run to Chiang Mai once a month and usually pick up a few loaves of that dark bread from Carrefour and freeze them.

Actually I think Chiang Rai Farangs are pretty well provided for.

Edited by sceadugenga

I sure would like to find a wheaten scone or a nice crispy french loaf in Chiang Rai , it would go down well with the cheese.

Hamburger restaurant in Bandoo used to order wheaten bread from Chiang Mai, not sure if they still do, and Boo's place get it frozen occasionally.

There was some discussion in the food forum a while back about bread makers. You can get bread flour here and if you were a real bread fanatic I think this would be the way to go. I used to do it in another life but can't be bothered now.

Plenty of recipes on the 'net.

I buy my bread at Pascals place on the Main Road going south just before the market, opposite CockPit.

He has dark multigrain, korn bread, pumpernickel, rye, white bread, baquettes, ciabatta, focaccia and 200 other breads. Plus biscuites, cookies, tart-cakes etc etc etc.

102/7 Phaholyothin Road

0857 231 410

Nice guy and very good bread!!!

I buy my bread at Pascals place on the Main Road going south just before the market, opposite CockPit.

He has dark multigrain, korn bread, pumpernickel, rye, white bread, baquettes, ciabatta, focaccia and 200 other breads. Plus biscuites, cookies, tart-cakes etc etc etc.

102/7 Phaholyothin Road

0857 231 410

This is potentially the most welcome - and timely - info. I was on the point of buying a freezer purely to store bread I'd bring from Chiang Mai (I'm there now). I eat thai food quite happily as the predominant part of my diet, but for breakfast and cheese I do need some bread to my taste - and the soft, standard, english-type loaf isn't that. I'll try Pascal's as soon as I'm back in CR - in about 10 days. Hope he'll have something approximating to the sourdough loaf at Carrefour in CM.

Nice bakery called A&P along Paholyothin Road (near that almost 1 lane soi to Red Road No-tell Motel and the old airport). Pretty good stuff. (Opps! might be same reference to Pascal's shop...)

Farang food at the Northern Farm shop behind St. Peter Clinic (along super highway). But sausages are still cheaper from Macro.

Edited by toybits

Nice bakery called A&P along Paholyothin Road (near that almost 1 lane soi to Red Road No-tell Motel and the old airport). Pretty good stuff. (Opps! might be same reference to Pascal's shop...)

Farang food at the Northern Farm shop behind St. Peter Clinic (along super highway). But sausages are still cheaper from Macro.

On the rigth site of Da Vinci (Restaurant) is a little soi. There is a new shop with farang food.

Just went to TOPS (supermarket?) near Ha Yaek - which is located at that big building at the easternmost end of Thanalai Road. Quite surprised by what they have there. Danitas was cheaper there than at Northern Farms. Also had horseraddish sauce, lots of yummy stuff you would not be able to get from BigC. But the meat section needs beefing up.

Cinnamon buns at Lotus Bakery on the road where Tops has its wide doors by the open cooler (no good cheese)... B10!

but often they're out...

anyway, a much better price than A&P (admittedly good cooking there). The WiangKam Hotel has a 'bakery' but I've found nothing good there. Clelbrate by Ratchyotha Soi - ah, I forget... by PanJaPim where I sometimes have books made, and the soi to SangKongLuang Soi 6... west a bit from the SanKhongNoi 7-11, anyway, sometimes there's OK cake there...

Way down past nam Lat, in Huay PlaKan is a new Farang restaurant - Green House. Microwaved goolash, gut good.

out Doi Hang way are a couple Farang restaurants i haven't investigated, and Family something out towards the Sports Stadium has great baby-back-ribs (when available). Something like a cross between beef jerkey and ham is available at FashionTrade101/PurePower Internet just north of SiYeak Pratu Siri - and some good breads too!

Just went to TOPS (supermarket?) near Ha Yaek - which is located at that big building at the easternmost end of Thanalai Road. Quite surprised by what they have there. Danitas was cheaper there than at Northern Farms. Also had horseraddish sauce, lots of yummy stuff you would not be able to get from BigC. But the meat section needs beefing up.

What I like about Tops is it opens early. If I drop someone at the airport for one of the early flights I can go there instead of having to wait for Big C to open at 9am.

102/7 Phaholyothin Road

0857 231 410

Was is town yesterday so stopped by to check out Aom & Pascal (A&P). He gave us an extensive list of goodies that can be pre-ordered for later pickup. Didn't need bread yet but got a couple of sandwiches to eat on the drive home. Wife and I both enjoyed them a lot. Not exactly cheap but good and often you get what you pay for.

They are a nice young couple, with one in the oven, so could probably use our business.

I'll have to look this guy up. (Pascal).

I seem to have misplaced my Chiang Rai city map, is Main Road the Super Highway?

A baker with one in the oven?

Chortle.

Turn at the Mae Kon intersection towards town. Think that would be left for you. Look for Cockpit on the left side. They have a very big sign. You can't miss it. Stop there and look to your right. Small shop-house just across the street. I did a u-turn and parked in front of the shop just to their right.

Glad you appreciated the oven reference.

There are two TOPS markets in Chiang Rai. One is at the Edison shopping center near the night bazaar. The other one is near Ha Yaek. The one I'm referring to is the second one - near Ha Yaek. Come from the south going towards Ha Yaek, turn left at the Monument. and then again left on the next stop light. As you turn left, Tops would be inside a large building that also holds the HOT POT restaurant.

There are two TOPS markets in Chiang Rai. One is at the Edison shopping center near the night bazaar. The other one is near Ha Yaek. The one I'm referring to is the second one - near Ha Yaek. Come from the south going towards Ha Yaek, turn left at the Monument. and then again left on the next stop light. As you turn left, Tops would be inside a large building that also holds the HOT POT restaurant.

"Sponge" ,I was hoping it was a new Tesco,like the one on the road to Mae Sai

Tks anyway

:o Wiley Coyote

Edited by wileycoyote

I called in at A&P yesterday. I wasn't sure if I could find it so had already bought bread at Big C but still picked up a French stick and a plain white loaf. I froze the loaf and ate the French stick, with some cheese for lunch and then to assist in the consumption of some sausages and onions for dinner. I found it unusual, but still good. I'm more used to the baguette type bread you get in Lao. This had a soft crust and wholemeal type flour.

The shop was busy with a crowd eating outside but the staff were friendly and helpful. I noted they had pork sausages in the fridge and whole Edam cheese.

I'll definitely be back and will try the sausages next time. Anyone sampled them yet?

Edited by sceadugenga

I get my sausages from Macro. Much cheaper than Northern Farm.

The best (non bakery) is undoubtedly Northern Farms. Sausages and bacon by the kilo, and a good range of cheese. The new Tops Super (near hayaak) has a few farang friendly items, and a fair bakery.

Scea, I must have been there at the same time because there was a crowd outside as well, some of them were leaving when I came ( my reputation precedes me :o ). Seriously, it was around 10 am or so. Anyhow, he had the whole range of bread on display which pleased me since he has been a bit sketchy the past couple of weeks.

Whole grain, sourdough, baguettes, whole wheat, buns, foccacia and so on. I got whole grain buns and a foccacia. I had the same experience with the foccacia as you had with the baguette which is something I don't like. The crust should be hard and not soft. The whole grain is as usual the best bread he has in my opinion (except for perhaps the pumpernickel which I haven't tried yet).

Anyways, this forum is catching on lately when it comes to posts, that's fun.

Scea, I must have been there at the same time because there was a crowd outside as well, some of them were leaving when I came ( my reputation precedes me :D ). Seriously, it was around 10 am or so. Anyhow, he had the whole range of bread on display which pleased me since he has been a bit sketchy the past couple of weeks.

Whole grain, sourdough, baguettes, whole wheat, buns, foccacia and so on. I got whole grain buns and a foccacia. I had the same experience with the foccacia as you had with the baguette which is something I don't like. The crust should be hard and not soft. The whole grain is as usual the best bread he has in my opinion (except for perhaps the pumpernickel which I haven't tried yet).

I reckon I probably just missed you, I had to wait at Big C for the bank to open at 10am and pay my Internet so by the time I got the shopping in the car and went looking for the shop, it would have been around 10.30am.

I'll agree with you about the change in the forum, I know some weren't happy with the way things went but I watched a couple of newbies come and go after a couple of posts and the only reason I could put on it was that it wasn't a good atmosphere here. I openly admit I may have contributed to this but will be a good boy from now on. (Sceadugenga looks unsuccessfully for smiley with halo). Unless of course someone p!sses me off. :D:o

We've got a couple of new guys here now that look like becoming serious contributers and some of the older members are posting more regularly.

Scea, I must have been there at the same time because there was a crowd outside as well, some of them were leaving when I came ( my reputation precedes me :o ). Seriously, it was around 10 am or so. Anyhow, he had the whole range of bread on display which pleased me since he has been a bit sketchy the past couple of weeks.

Mr P must be reading TV.com. I picked up a French stick today, just as the girl was putting them in the display case, got home while it was still warm and enjoyed it in all it's wonderful crunchiness with some spreadable cheese a visitor left me this week. Superb! No wonder I'm so freaking fat.

Also picked up their catalogue, four or five pages of stuff that can be ordered the day before required... cheese cake... must have cheese cake...

Mr P must be reading TV.com. I picked up a French stick today, just as the girl was putting them in the display case, got home while it was still warm and enjoyed it in all it's wonderful crunchiness with some spreadable cheese a visitor left me this week. Superb! No wonder I'm so freaking fat.

Also picked up their catalogue, four or five pages of stuff that can be ordered the day before required... cheese cake... must have cheese cake...

I got that same list. Amazing isn't it? Anyway you sound like a happy camper. Your cheese cake fetish sounds scary, though.

I got that same list. Amazing isn't it? Anyway you sound like a happy camper. Your cheese cake fetish sounds scary, though.

I rarely eat sweets, my personal taste runs to cheese and crackers for desert but I am partial to a slice of cheese cake, particularly if it's the baked variety.

Speaking of cheeses my "frequent visitor" just left and gave me a variety if small cheeses (200gm wax sealed) including a King Island blue, one of the best in Australia. He also pointed out that I carve roast beef the wrong way but my bacon and eggs have improved.

Edited by sceadugenga