Travel Warning For Myanmar

george

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pathetic. Not even a statement demanding or requesting that the Myanmar gov't show restraint against the Buddhist monks who are displaying such bravery, and who today have been beaten with sticks, tear gassed, and potentially shot at. Restraint that would prevent an evacuation being neccessary. Disgusting.

I think one junta is normally not in the business of criticizing another junta..

True, although it is unlikely any Thai govt would do any different. Nor the Chinese who are arming them, nor the Indians or Russians. In fact there will be a deafening roar of indifference from Asean, perhaps hand the chairmanship over to the Burmese next time.

Money and politics of convenience matters, Burmese monks or civilians dying are irrelevant. I read another post criticising Bush for citing Burma. Like Bush or not, who else is raising their voice? The heartless, bigoted stupidity of such a post leaves me dumdfounded.

I just hope there will not be too many bodies in the streets, yet it is difficult to adopt an attitude of such optimism.

I Just got back from there.

Did a quick visa run via Mae Sot. Normally I just stay in the booth at the Myanmar end until they find my photo and details on their computer but this morning I thought...ahhh I'll have wee walk around and left my passport there as you must do.

As usual the shopping was crap so after about 20 min in the country I turned around.

There was no sense of tension or anything. Just the same as always but I'm following the news and I really feel concerned that lives could be lost again.

To the poster who thought that one Junta is like another........ you are so wrong.

I really don't think Thialand's army would shoot Monks.

I agree. I can never imagine Thai army shooting monks, as so many soldiers have served as monks during their youth or retirement, and for many other reasons.

Pathetic. Not even a statement demanding or requesting that the Myanmar gov't show restraint against the Buddhist monks who are displaying such bravery, and who today have been beaten with sticks, tear gassed, and potentially shot at. Restraint that would prevent an evacuation being neccessary. Disgusting.

I think one junta is normally not in the business of criticizing another junta..

True, although it is unlikely any Thai govt would do any different. Nor the Chinese who are arming them, nor the Indians or Russians. In fact there will be a deafening roar of indifference from Asean, perhaps hand the chairmanship over to the Burmese next time.

Money and politics of convenience matters, Burmese monks or civilians dying are irrelevant. I read another post criticising Bush for citing Burma. Like Bush or not, who else is raising their voice? The heartless, bigoted stupidity of such a post leaves me dumdfounded.

I just hope there will not be too many bodies in the streets, yet it is difficult to adopt an attitude of such optimism.

I agree. I can never imagine Thai army shooting monks, as so many soldiers have served as monks during their youth or retirement, and for many other reasons.
The cultural situations are more similar than one realises. As in Thailand many youths spend time in the monk hood as well.

Regards

The cultural situations are more similar than one realises. As in Thailand many youths spend time in the monk hood as well.

Regards

almost every family has a monk in there family ,thai soldiers would not harm a monk ,full stop ,but the masters that be in thailand are muslims :o

Thailand monitors Myanmar as situation worsens

BANGKOK: -- As escalating tensions in Myanmar attract world attention and the protests turn ugly and slide into violence, one protester has been reported killed and many injured, and the Thai authorities are closely monitoring the situation.

Thailand's neighbouring country to the West is in a deepening crisis as Myanmar's military leaders begin to crack down against protesters.

Security forces reportedly fired warning shots and tear gas into massive crowds of demonstrators in Myanmar's largest city, the former capital of Yangon, while forcing defiant Buddhist monks who led the rally into waiting trucks.

Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that the Royal Thai Government is monitoring closely the situation in Myanmar.

"As a fellow ASEAN member country and a close neighbour of Myanmar, we sincerely hope that there will be peace and national reconciliation in Myanmar", it said.

Myanmar's military junta is trying to stop the mass demonstrations led by monks marking the biggest challenge to the regime in 20 years.

Meanwhile, the Association of Thai Tour Operators (ATTO) chairman Thaksin Pillavast said 80 per cent of the tourists who earlier intended to visit had delayed their travel plans to wait and see the situation in Myanmar.

The crisis has started to pinch tourism business operators in Myanmar, particular tour agents, restaurants and five-star hotels which are mostly owned by Thai businesspeople, he said.

However, Mr. Thaksin said he personally believed that the crisis in Myanmar would hurt the tourism business for only a short period and that he is confident that the situation will return to normal very soon.

He said the Myanmar government informed travel agents and hotel chains that tourists could enter the country as normal and that the government will have the situation under control within 20 days.

--TNA 2007-09-26

Thai defence minister postpones visit to Burma after crackdown on protesters

BANGKOK: -- Defence Minister Gen Boonrod Somthat postponed his two-day official visit to Burma after Burmese junta cracked down on monk-led protesters.

The minister was initially scheduled to visit Burma on Thursday and would meet the junta's chairman Gen Than Shwe and deputy supreme commander Gen Maung Aye.

Ministry's spokesman Lt Gen Pitchanu Putchakarn said that the minister decided to delay his visit and he would go to Burma if the situation there returned to normal.

--The Nation 2007-09-26

The [Thai] minister was initially scheduled to visit Burma on Thursday and would meet the junta's chairman Gen Than Shwe and deputy supreme commander Gen Maung Aye.

--The Nation 2007-09-26

Frequent neighborly visits have been going on between the Burmese/Thai juntas over the last year.

...birds of a feather... :o

The [Thai] minister was initially scheduled to visit Burma on Thursday and would meet the junta's chairman Gen Than Shwe and deputy supreme commander Gen Maung Aye.

--The Nation 2007-09-26

Frequent neighborly visits have been going on between the Burmese/Thai juntas over the last year.

...birds of a feather... :o

Well said.Thank you !!!

It further alleged that businesses investing in Burma were not doing so for altruistic reasons, but because they were attracted by employment conditions that could be described as favourable to employers: normal salaries are less than 25p a day, unions are banned, there are limited health and safety laws, and the minimum working age is 13.

name and shame the companies that trade with the dreadful burmese junta

Back to Story - Help

At least four killed, 100 hurt in Myanmar crackdown 42 minutes ago

At least four people were killed and 100 injured Wednesday as Myanmar's security forces clamped down on anti-government protests led by Buddhist monks, according to officials and witnesses.

About 200 people were also arrested, as many as half of them Buddhist monks, as soldiers and police cracked down on tens of thousands of protesters who swept across Myanmar's commercial hub Yangon, according to witnesses and diplomats.

Myanmar officials said at least three monks were killed, including one who was shot as he tried to wrestle a gun away from a soldier. Two other monks were beaten to death, they told AFP.

A fourth person, who was not a monk, was dead on arrival at Yangon General Hospital with gunshot wounds, a hospital source said.

At least 100 others were injured, about half of them monks, according to a tally of witness accounts received from across Yangon.

About 200 people were arrested, according to witnesses. One western diplomat said that at least 100 Buddhist monks were among the arrests.

Monks have lead nine straight days of anti-government protests in Yangon and other cities around the country, but Wednesday was the first day that security forces tried to violently break up the crowds.

Police used batons and teargas, sometimes firing warning shots over the crowd to disperse the protesters.

But throughout the day, the protesters regrouped, returning to taunt the security forces and sometimes throwing rocks, with as many as 100,000 people in the streets around the city, according to witnesses.

AFP

Apparently China are holding back as they don't want to ruin their chances for next years olympics - so that's a sort of blessing in a way.

Is anyone actually going to go in and help the Burmese people, their leaders are quite obviously not going to give in easily. These monks are so brave, I pray for all of them and the people... :o:D:D

Apparently China are holding back as they don't want to ruin their chances for next years olympics - so that's a sort of blessing in a way.

China does not want a regime change - especially not to a democratic government

they have spent many years securing access to oil/gas reserves and a seaport - their own interests will be foremost in their minds.

As has India.

India does not consider Burma under its "sphere of influence" whereas China does. China has to modify its foreign policy to be actively interventionist to deal with this crisis. This is truly a test of China's statesmanship and whether it belongs as a world power.

The more pathetic aspect is that the Chicken Shitake mushroom Thai Sangha, totally dominated by certain political persuasions, will not speak out in support of their fellow monks practicing non-violent protest.

But hey, those Burmans and tribals are brown skin folk who just happened to be located in an area that has natural resources to be exploited, in this case by those white skinned Asians who have a mandate from heaven. And the Chinese have learned their lessons well from the white skinned Caucasians how to handle brown skin folk by catering to the needs of a miniscule military elite that has no qualms about killing its own to protect their tenuous positions.

Sonthi must be feeling very good. His best friends were after all very satisfied with him as he said when he left Than Shwe a few weeks ago. It is because of Thailand, India and foremost China that these kinds or criminals are still in power in Burma. A typical case of sam nam naa for all Thais who do business there.

Is anyone actually going to go in and help the Burmese people, their leaders are quite obviously not going to give in easily. These monks are so brave, I pray for all of them and the people... :o:D:D

Well said. These monks are incredibly brave and are the real hope for their country. Let's all hope against hope that they succeed and rescue the Burmese from these military barbarians who have been ruining the country for decades.

Well said. These monks are incredibly brave and are the real hope for their country. Let's all hope against hope that they succeed and rescue the Burmese from these military barbarians who have been ruining the country for decades.

I have a feeling that the monks will succeed. It has a similar feel to Europe around the time when the iron curtain fell and the puppet regimes in eastern europe came crashing down.

I pray for the courageous monks and people of Burma.

Sonthi must be feeling very good. His best friends were after all very satisfied with him as he said when he left Than Shwe a few weeks ago. It is because of Thailand, India and foremost China that these kinds or criminals are still in power in Burma. A typical case of sam nam naa for all Thais who do business there.

I think it is politic for the surrounding powers to keep a despotic junta in Burma because at least by comparison it makes them seem good, I mean imagine if Burma had a rapid return to democracy then the S.E asian spotlight would be shining squarely at Thailand.

I have a feeling that the monks will succeed. It has a similar feel to Europe around the time when the iron curtain fell and the puppet regimes in eastern europe came crashing down.

I pray for the courageous monks and people of Burma.

Yes let's hope we see the fall of the bamboo curtain this time

Wow... I hate to be a pessimist but, I can't see China or India stepping up to the plate here sadly :o

Look how China treats it's own commoners and protestors :/

I have a huge disdain for the American foreign policy and current government but if no one else is willing to lend a hand to such a valiant effort to combat oppression and attain the freedoms I take for granted every day then all the power to the Yanks and shame on the UN and shame on anyone who can turn a blind eye.

Money; the root of all evil.

Wow... I hate to be a pessimist but, I can't see China or India stepping up to the plate here sadly :o

Look how China treats it's own commoners and protestors :/

I have a huge disdain for the American foreign policy and current government but if no one else is willing to lend a hand to such a valiant effort to combat oppression and attain the freedoms I take for granted every day then all the power to the Yanks and shame on the UN and shame on anyone who can turn a blind eye.

Money; the root of all evil.

As usual, everyone has disdain for the US until it rescues their ass. Pathetic.

Edited by chinthee

In case no one has been keeping note, China has consistently blocked {even using the veto I seem to recall, [see below] in conjunction with Russia} serious actions against Burma. The SC meeting was scheduled for @ 17:00 GMT I believe. At the commencement of the year the above veto action was on the basis expounded by China's U.N. envoy Wang Guangya who said the U.N. Charter gave the SC authority only in the case of threats to international peace and security. 'Of course there are problems in Myanmar. But we believe these problems do not constitute a threat to regional or international peace and security..' he said. This should be read bearing in mind the fact that in September 2006 the Council agreed to focus on the situation inside Myanmar in a vote taken during a procedural meeting, in which no member’s vote has the power of veto.

12 January 2007 China and Russia today vetoed a draft resolution in the Security Council – the first use of multiple vetoes at the Council since 1989 – that had called on Myanmar to release all political prisoners, begin widespread dialogue and end its military attacks and human rights abuses against ethnic minorities.

Sponsored by the United States and the United Kingdom, the text received nine votes in favour, the necessary number for a majority. Those in favour were Belgium, France, Ghana, Italy, Panama, Peru, Slovakia, the UK and the US. But the permanent members China and Russia issued vetoes, and South Africa also voted against the resolution. There were three abstentions: Indonesia, Qatar and the Republic of the Congo.

U.N. News Centre Report

Regards

/edit time, clarification & U.N. Report//

Edited by A_Traveller

New York, 26 September 2007 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Myanmar

In response to the deteriorating situation in Myanmar, the Secretary-General is urgently dispatching his Special Envoy, Ibrahim Gambari, to the region. He calls on the senior leadership of the country to cooperate fully with this mission in order to take advantage of the willingness of the United Nations to assist in the process of national reconciliation through dialogue.

Noting reports of the use of force and of arrests and beatings, the Secretary-General calls again on authorities to exercise utmost restraint toward the peaceful demonstrations taking place, as such action can only undermine the prospects for peace, prosperity and stability in Myanmar.