Phra Pi Ganesh

Neeranam

I have a picture of Ganesh, the Hindu God, on my arm.

I am amazed with the no. of Thai people who admire this, and who think that Ganesh is Thai/buddhist.

Can anyone explain the Hindu and Buddhism "deities".

Actually, it amazing that Thai people sometimes forget that Lord Buddha was from India. Whenever a Thai person says anything negative about Indians, I remind them of this fact. :o

As you say, Lord Buddha taught the Dharma in India and Buddhism shares the same cosmology (i.e. the structure of the universe with its heavens and the different classes of beings) with Hinduism. Buddha regularly conversed with Hindu gods and they often popped down from their heavens to hear his sermons.

The Buddhist belief however (as taught by Lord Buddha) is that these deities are very powerful and helpful if appropriately supplicated within samsara, but they too are not enlightened. given that virtually all Thai Buddhists are aiming for better fortune in this lifetime followed by a better rebirth within samsara it is entirely reasonable to acknowedge the gods - be it ones that originate from India or those indigenous to Thailand.

Sri Ganesh represents removal of obstacles and is popularly worshipped before exams or weddings or any event that marks a new beginning.

Thanks for that response Andy.Buddha regularly conversed with Hindu gods and they often popped down from their heavens to hear his sermons.

That, I never knew.

Sri Ganesh represents removal of obstacles and is popularly worshipped before exams or weddings or any event that marks a new beginning.

He is also worshipped by those seeking good fortune, especially before the lottery and the start of a new business.

There is a connection with art, which I am not sure about.

I worship him as the remover of obstacles, as you said he is.