What Is Happening To Chiang Mai?

LOSer

Just returned to Chiang Mai after about a year. All the prices are going up. The bars are closing at midnight. All the farang teachers are on yaa baa and yaa yi. And there are lady boys everywhere. What the ###### is going on?

Possibly just your everyday cultural advancement and tourist infusion, I try to make it back to CM a couple of times a year to visit friends and it is getting worse every time and getting so that I hate the trip almost as much as I do my yearly trip to BKK.

Possibly just your everyday cultural advancement and tourist infusion, I try to make it back to CM a couple of times a year to visit friends and it is getting worse every time and getting so that I hate the trip almost as much as I do my yearly trip to BKK.

Well how do ya think I feel.

I live here :o

Just returned to Chiang Mai after about a year. All the prices are going up. The bars are closing at midnight. All the farang teachers are on yaa baa and yaa yi. And there are lady boys everywhere. What the ###### is going on?

So what is your point? Prices have been going up slowly for decades. That the bars are closed at midnight is a national change thanks to Mr. Toxin and is not specific to Chiang Mai. If you are hanging around, or just meeting, folks who are meth-amphetamine users, teachers or otherwise, then you have the problem that may need a change. And Chiang Mai, if not all of Thailand, as always had ladyboys everywhere. They may not be my cup of tea in the bedroom, but they usally make for great conversation and good friends.

Chiang Mai has changed. It has lots of Farangs around these days living there. It has large shopping malls as compared to when the ol' Tantraphan Department store was the largest retail concern in the north. It has several very large stores like Lotus and Mackro, and instead of having these huge old movie theatres it now has multi-plexes in the shopping malls. The long standing bad traffic situation is actually worse and does not dissipate between the rush hours. And it is becoming difficult to order up a bottle of Mae Khong in a restaurant. So there are changes if you get away from the bars on Loi Kroh, an area that has seen little change over the years.

Probabley just trying to spark some discussion.

Things have been changing some for the worse some for the better. The Thapae road area is getting rundown other areas are comming up. I don't think you can generlise and say everything is bad.

Good - Airport Plaza, new schools, upmarket night life.

Bad - Traffic, pollution, ?

Well how do ya think I feel.

I live here 

If so bad....Why??? :o