BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
stepenwolf1958

What Moe Says About The Contracts With Farangs?

Thank you for that PB.

"This is some interesting discussion. I hate to spoil it, but I can't resist.

If there is an English and a Thai contract, the Thai contract (and it's interpretation) take precedense over the English one."

That wasn't the question. See below.

"Aren't any contracts not written in Thai not legal?"

I think Ijustwannateach gave the correct answer for the question that was asked.

I also think Scott's answer would be right if that particular question was asked.

"...I worked at a public school in Thailand. That school paid me roughly 30K a month. I was teaching roughly the entire school, one period per week at a time, class-by-class. Each of the roughly 1000 students was paying an extra 1000B a month for the privilege (I later learned) for my presence. That's a cool million a month. In my books,..."

I've been in a similar situation at two different schools here. Each of them were charging the students 200 baht per term. Each school is different. You need to look at the community you're in. A lot of rural schools have kids going there that are not rich or even from medium income families.

I've never taught at a 'rich' school, but if I did, I'd follow advice like what PB and Southern dog gave.

Terry

Thank you for that PB.

"This is some interesting discussion. I hate to spoil it, but I can't resist.

If there is an English and a Thai contract, the Thai contract (and it's interpretation) take precedense over the English one."

That wasn't the question. See below.

"Aren't any contracts not written in Thai not legal?"

I think Ijustwannateach gave the correct answer for the question that was asked.

I also think Scott's answer would be right if that particular question was asked.

"...I worked at a public school in Thailand. That school paid me roughly 30K a month. I was teaching roughly the entire school, one period per week at a time, class-by-class. Each of the roughly 1000 students was paying an extra 1000B a month for the privilege (I later learned) for my presence. That's a cool million a month. In my books,..."

I've been in a similar situation at two different schools here. Each of them were charging the students 200 baht per term. Each school is different. You need to look at the community you're in. A lot of rural schools have kids going there that are not rich or even from medium income families.

I've never taught at a 'rich' school, but if I did, I'd follow advice like what PB and Southern dog gave.

Terry

What proceeds is a bunch of generalizations that DO NOT hold true universally but which are certainly the case in many a school in Thailand:

1) 90% of schools employ white people to make $$$ END OF STORY

2) If the school runs an MOE-approved program then everything is subsidized by the MOE. That means salaries, materials, etc. SO don't buy into the "we have no $$" bs.

3) Like someone noted, by in large, English progs exist to fund other programs/projects at school. Precious few schools actually invest any PROFIT in the actual English prog.

4) Find out how much your school charges the students. I GUARANTEE you'll be floored by the sum total. Take the school's revenue from the parents (excluding potential MOE contributions) and deduct every English teacher's (farang and thai) salary. Go ahead and factor in utilities and whatever scant resources your school may have accumulated. The final total, which is PURE PROFIT mind you, will shock you even more. Where does it go?? How many houses/cars has your director bought since arriving at your school?

5) Good rule of thumb when it comes to thai schools: the deeper you dig, the more disgusting everything becomes.

Edited by samsara

What proceeds is a bunch of generalizations that DO NOT hold true universally but which are certainly the case in many a school in Thailand:

1) 90% of schools employ white people to make $$$ END OF STORY

2) If the school runs an MOE-approved program then everything is subsidized by the MOE. That means salaries, materials, etc. SO don't buy into the "we have no $$" bs.

3) Like someone noted, by in large, English progs exist to fund other programs/projects at school. Precious few schools actually invest any PROFIT in the actual English prog.

4) Find out how much your school charges the students. I GUARANTEE you'll be floored by the sum total. Take the school's revenue from the parents (excluding potential MOE contributions) and deduct every English teacher's (farang and thai) salary. Go ahead and factor in utilities and whatever scant resources your school may have accumulated. The final total, which is PURE PROFIT mind you, will shock you even more. Where does it go?? How many houses/cars has your director bought since arriving at your school?

5) Good rule of thumb when it comes to thai schools: the deeper you dig, the more disgusting everything becomes.

Awesome post.

This is some interesting discussion. I hate to spoil it, but I can't resist.

If there is an English and a Thai contract, the Thai contract (and it's interpretation) take precedense over the English one.

Now, please continue. Sorry for the interruption.

I've also heard this is true- but it doesn't mean the English one isn't legal if there isn't a Thai one.

I've written this before, but it bears repeating: At some point in the past, I worked at a public school in Thailand. That school paid me roughly 30K a month. I was teaching roughly the entire school, one period per week at a time, class-by-class. Each of the roughly 1000 students was paying an extra 1000B a month for the privilege (I later learned) for my presence. That's a cool million a month. In my books, that makes 1,000,000-30,000 per month profit. I wonder where it went.

"Steven"

usually it's only 200-500 per term but same principle in the end: thai school rakes in the profit via some english "program".

my personal favorite when discussing the various nuances of a thai school's budget is when the school complains how it has to pay so much for such trivial and altogether nominal items such as electricity (when it doesnt even turn on the air but for 2 days a month!), water (ha), paper (haha), toner/ink (hahaha), and the guard (wow). sometimes its hard to decide which is more depressing: that they actually have the gall to say such things (and expect you to believe them!) or how so many resources are no doubt being siphoned off by someone (umm, the director et al) at the expense of everyone else at the school.

every country has problems in terms of its education system, but thailand may just take the cake.

btw, do read and reply with any info to my other topic cause id really like to get to the bottom of it. thx

What is awesome about "...a bunch of generalizations that DO NOT hold true universally..."?