Lao PDR - Visas, Residency Info.

technocracy

As I mentioned it in the 'where do you live outside of thailand' and the question was asked how do you get residency in the Lao PDR, I thought I'd just give a quick run down on the Lao visas.

Tourist Visas (B3) - Upon arrival now into Lao you receive a 1 month tourist visit for $35, this however is easily extended to 3 months but a visit to the immigration department (which is just off Lane Xang road not far from the morning market) in Vientiane. It will cost you $70 extra dollars for the 2 months. However unless you can speak Lao and read Lao you will need to go via a 'travel agent' since the forms are Lao only. These will want about $10 to do it - if they want more go talk to someone else!

There is no limit to the number of consecutive Tourist Visas for Laos. However just to note upon the expiry of an extended 3 month visa you must leave the country and return (if you want that is!) to get another visa. This is because when you extended your visa it's in the form of stamp with the specified number of days you extend it for, not a new visa.

Also as most will know your passport won't last long as the visa takes up a full page.

Business Visas/Work Permits (B2) - The Business visa is only available when you are sponsored by a company in Laos. It is valid for 12 months and can be extended for a further 24 months (3 year total). The cost will vary - if you are genuinely working for the company then obviously the company would pay, however, if you know people who has a company and they'll add you to there books then you will pay $x00 - the x will start at 5 and work upwards! It depends on who you know.

The initial set up of the visa is the expensive part you'll recieve an ID card and work permit - these take 15 days following your entry into Lao. You won't have you passport for these days.

To get them without having genuine work or relationships in Lao isn't easy but no impossible.

Residency - The holy grail eh! Well this takes a long time! Upto 2 years! You need to have a Lao spouse and there is a war and peace document that needs to be completed, obviously totally in Lao! They need about 15 pictures . . . I kid you not . . . and this document completed, you buy the document for 10,000kip from the Police Head office in Vientiane (just down the road for the Oz embassy). Basically the document then gets passed around every conceiveable government official you can imagine and finally would end up on the Foreign Ministers desk for final approval. It's not easy but not impossible - costs - to be honest I can't remember but they aren't that high or excessive.

There aint much choice - when it comes to visas in the Lao PDR!

:o

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You talk like this is all a big hassle, but compared to the hoop jumping you go through for Thai residency it looks amazingly simple.

What are officials like to deal with there?

Well the theory is that it is 'relatively' simple - but that unfortunately is where the Lao bureaucracy comes in and starts being a pain in the butt! As I've not been through it yet I can't fully comment - I do have all the paperwork and a year ago our intention was to get it submitted but in between building a house and the wife becoming pregnant it's kind of been set aside! I recently after much sitting around with finger in the backside finally sorted out my work permit.

In general you will undoubted end up paying tea money to numerous officials to get things done - they aren't a pain or obnoxious to deal with in the slightest though. For myself I know I can get thing speeded through the immigration side of things however the Government it where the family lacks contacts!

All officials I've dealt with in Lao even the police have always been polite and courteous - I don't think it's in there nature to be anything but. But that said if you want to be obnoxious and arrogant they'll make you life a misery and remove any possiblities of you ever getting a visa! As would be said manners cost nothing! :o

Something else - Bank Accounts - I've read with much amusement regards the cannot open bank account in Thailand thread.

In Lao you can walk into any bank with you passport and money to open the account and 10 minutes later you'll leave with an account. You can even give a hotel room number as your address!

All banks you can open Dollar, Baht and Kip accounts. However don't go expecting Internet banking and all the bells and whistles you would expect from western banks. Yes you can have a credit card and ATM card though, but living here you'll soon discover it's pretty much exclusively a cash culture.

Also for those from the UK - Lao PDR does NOT have a dual tax treaty with the UK so they IR has absolutely NO rights to look at your accounts (not that it concerns me since I am no longer a UK tax payer), but certain people (:D) might like this! If they ever get around to offering Internet Banking I am quite sure many people may suddenly like the idea of an account the Lao PDR! :o

What is ABM availability and reliability like, and do they issue Visa, and Mastercard or do they do other credit cards as well?

I guess you mean ATM :o In downtown Vientiane - they are sprouting up all over the place! Literally in the space of a year it has gone from one international ATM to around 30 or so. All take a full range of cards. Also in they are putting them in the other towns also (reading the bank news).

They issue both Visa and Mastercard, no other that I know of.

The good thing with Lao banks is there still have an old school way about them - you will regularly be served by the same people and they will help you where they can. The wife nearly always ends up jabbering for about 5 minutes or so about the baby etc.

That just the way it is here!

:D

As I mentioned it in the 'where do you live outside of thailand' and the question was asked how do you get residency in the Lao PDR, I thought I'd just give a quick run down on the Lao visas.

Tourist Visas (B3) - Upon arrival now into Lao you receive a 1 month tourist visit for $35, this however is easily extended to 3 months but a visit to the immigration department (which is just off Lane Xang road not far from the morning market) in Vientiane. It will cost you $70 extra dollars for the 2 months. However unless you can speak Lao and read Lao you will need to go via a 'travel agent' since the forms are Lao only. These will want about $10 to do it - if they want more go talk to someone else!

There is no limit to the number of consecutive Tourist Visas for Laos. However just to note upon the expiry of an extended 3 month visa you must leave the country and return (if you want that is!) to get another visa. This is because when you extended your visa it's in the form of stamp with the specified number of days you extend it for, not a new visa.

Also as most will know your passport won't last long as the visa takes up a full page.

Business Visas/Work Permits (B2) - The Business visa is only available when you are sponsored by a company in Laos. It is valid for 12 months and can be extended for a further 24 months (3 year total). The cost will vary - if you are genuinely working for the company then obviously the company would pay, however, if you know people who has a company and they'll add you to there books then you will pay $x00 - the x will start at 5 and work upwards! It depends on who you know.

The initial set up of the visa is the expensive part you'll recieve an ID card and work permit - these take 15 days following your entry into Lao. You won't have you passport for these days.

To get them without having genuine work or relationships in Lao isn't easy but no impossible.

Residency - The holy grail eh! Well this takes a long time! Upto 2 years! You need to have a Lao spouse and there is a war and peace document that needs to be completed, obviously totally in Lao! They need about 15 pictures . . . I kid you not . . . and this document completed, you buy the document for 10,000kip from the Police Head office in Vientiane (just down the road for the Oz embassy). Basically the document then gets passed around every conceiveable government official you can imagine and finally would end up on the Foreign Ministers desk for final approval. It's not easy but not impossible - costs - to be honest I can't remember but they aren't that high or excessive.

Do you know any foreigners who have been granted permanent residency?

Thanks. I'm the one that asked in the 'where do you live outside of thailand' post. Compared to Thailand it does seem much simpler. Always looking for a plan B. Living in a Roiet village, Laos wouldn't be a big change. Language, culture and environment pretty much the same.

:D Does the Lao PDR allow multiple wives? If not, plan B is out the window!

Thanks. I'm the one that asked in the 'where do you live outside of thailand' post. Compared to Thailand it does seem much simpler. Always looking for a plan B. Living in a Roiet village, Laos wouldn't be a big change. Language, culture and environment pretty much the same.

:D Does the Lao PDR allow multiple wives? If not, plan B is out the window!

No worries!

Plenty of mai noi about but not official ones . . . :o

Look what I've just discovered!

Off-shore Internet banking service at the Joint Development Bank in the Lao PDR (obviously not off-shore to me!)!

JBD Online

As they say on there site . . . You never actually need to visit us in person. :o

So now you locate your money in a country without dual tax treaties! A nods as good as a wink to blind man! :D

Residency - ......you buy the document for 10,000kip from the Police Head office in Vientiane (just down the road for the Oz embassy).

Looking at the cost of the PR docs.

10,000 Kip = 33 Baht = AUS$1.20 = USD 1.05

pretty steep :o

Residency - ......you buy the document for 10,000kip from the Police Head office in Vientiane (just down the road for the Oz embassy).

Looking at the cost of the PR docs.

10,000 Kip = 33 Baht = AUS$1.20 = USD 1.05

pretty steep :D

Actually the price was 25,000kip . . . so 80 odd baht ... I was thinking about this today .. .. also as all the others country visa threads have been pinned . . ahem :D:bah:

I did actually get mine at a discount . .. . since we bumped into a policeman who happened to have a copy just hanging around! :D:o

• 3 weeks later...

For nine years I been sharing some rural acerage here in Northernmost Thailand with two families - both are immigrants from Laos. Surely, the sweetest people all-around that I've had the pleasure to know.

Every year they travel back to the home village in the northernmost part - up by China - to re-connect with their people. Last time they went though, a Lao official showed up and told them not to hang out. Not sure why - but probably to discourage my friends from encouraging other Lao vilagers from splitting to go to Thailand.

My friends always ask me to go along on the trip, but I haven't swung it yet. However, they say there are some farang settling up there - marrying local gals, building nice houses, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
My friends always ask me to go along on the trip, but I haven't swung it yet. However, they say there are some farang settling up there - marrying local gals, building nice houses, etc.

Do it . . . you'll love it! :o

An update on the Residency side of things - I was told the other week by a family friend who arranges visas and such in Lao that residency now only take 6 months to process.

So it looks like my residency application might be made sooner rather than later! :D

• 2 months later...

As for banking, which banks would the 'old hands' in Vientiane consider to be 'safe'?

Also, how much as a fee do the ATMs (actually the banks) charge? If I withdraw

money from my Thailand savings account at a foreign ATM I am charged 100 baht

on the Thai side. Any idea how much it costs on top of that charged by the Lao counterpart?

Edited by 7

Technocracy, your explanations about the local banking sector already exceed what

is furnished by the latest 2007 editions of Lonely Planet Laos or Rough Guide Laos.

One of them insists there are no atm's in Laos. Bring traveller's checks or cash. Or it

may be possible to go in one of the larger banks which are BCEL? is that an acronym

for a French name? and some other large gov't bank where you can maybe get a cash

advance on a visa. Really, pitifully little information and I can't imagine carrying around

suitcases of Lao Kip is the most convenient thing to do. Would you venture a guess there

are also atm's in other major towns in Laos? and you can't change your Kip when leaving?

Edited by cali4995

Technocracy, your explanations about the local banking sector already exceed what

is furnished by the latest 2007 editions of Lonely Planet Laos or Rough Guide Laos.

One of them insists there are no atm's in Laos. Bring traveller's checks or cash. Or it

may be possible to go in one of the larger banks which are BCEL? is that an acronym

for a French name? and some other large gov't bank where you can maybe get a cash

advance on a visa. Really, pitifully little information and I can't imagine carrying around

suitcases of Lao Kip is the most convenient thing to do. Would you venture a guess there

are also atm's in other major towns in Laos? and you can't change your Kip when leaving?

Well I standby opinion that LP and RG are written by individuals who don't get any further than the temples and walk around with there eyes closed! :o

There is ATMs all over Vientiane and now most towns have them be it BCEL (Banque Pour Le Commerce Exterieur Lao), Phonsavanh Bank, Lao-Viet Bank, JDB (Joint Development Bank) and another one which I forget!

Even if the towns don't have an ATM there is branches of banks which will all do cash advance on Credit Card. Dollar & Baht is excepted in ANY town don't believe folk who'll tell you in smaller towns it isn't . .. . just in smaller towns you'll probably get a worse rate.

As for which banks are best well in all honesty the best exchange rates are pretty much always found at the BCEL bank also they have a direct SWIFT transfer capabilities. I transfer cash from my account in the IoM and it's there either next day or day after, SWIFTs out only cost $25 (which is about a 1/3 of the cost of my IoM bank!). The only thing they don't offer is internet banking . .. .

If you need any more proof of ATMs -

http://www.jdbbank.com/index.php?pageview=...map〈=en

http://www.phongsavanhbank.com/atm_location.php

http://www.bcellaos.com/atm_credit.php

The BCEL bank show on there site that it has one at each branch in Luang Prabang, Luang Namtha, Vang Vieng, Pakse, Savannahkhet, Oudomxay, Khammouane (Phonsavanh).

So like I say LP and RG in general talk <deleted> - I actually have offered my service to one of them to update there shockingly inaccurate book! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi "T" a couple of questions about living in Vientiane:

Rentals - small bugalow, townhouse or even guesthouse -what would be a ballpark monthly rate be?

Vehicles Car or motor bike any problem in owning one, even bringing one over from Thailand or is that a no no.

Edited by mijan24

Hi "T" a couple of questions about living in Vientiane:

Rentals - small bugalow, townhouse or even guesthouse -what would be a ballpark monthly rate be?

Vehicles Car or motor bike any problem in owning one, even bringing one over from Thailand or is that a no no.

Hi,

On the rental side the prices all depend on location and whose renting it. If it's a local that it'll be cheaper than if the falang is renting it - if it's next to the mekong expect a premium. Anywhere from $250 per month upwards to whatever size you want. But to be perfectly honest I don't know all that much about the rental side of things since being married to a Lao national we bought our land and build our own house and have never rented here.

Cars/motorbikes - bring it over from Thailand permanently is very difficult firstly due to driving on the opposite and secondly you'll have to pay import duty on the car. Owning cars and motorbikes isn't a problem - that is if you have a work permit if you're on a tourist visa . . . no can do.

Work permits are 'arrangeable' - although I have heard rumours of a new visa in Laos which allow westerns to have yearly, multi-entry, non working visa. I am awaiting confirmation about this visa and it's requirements if true Laos could suddenly become very attractive to many folks disenchanted with Thailand!

Once I hear more on the visa front I'll update you - like I say I don't know any details but I've heard they are supposedly available for around $400 per annum.

Technocracy, I plan on flying from Vientiane to Hanoi and back to Vientiane.

A travel agent in Vientiane gave me this advice: "If you make return-flight to Vientiane you have to ask double-visa on first arrival." Is this correct? Is the price less expensive than two single entry visas? Is there a "official" name for this "double-visa"? I will only be transiting through Vientiane.

Thanks in advance.

A travel agent in Vientiane gave me this advice: "If you make return-flight to Vientiane you have to ask double-visa on first arrival." Is this correct? Is the price less expensive than two single entry visas? Is there a "official" name for this "double-visa"? I will only be transiting through Vientiane.

Thanks in advance.

I've never heard of a 'double-visa' - in other words to my knowledge it doesn't exist. The only visa that are available in Lao PDR are what I've posted initially - also there is this possible yearly visa which I've not had chance to follow up as I've been busy. There has been no word of visa changes in the Vientiane Times either and if there was I guess they would have reported it.

I wonder if them mean getting 2 visas on your arrival in preparation so you don't have to wait in the queue at the airport to get your visa, I've never tried or heard of getting two visas however and I would imagine they'd give you strange looks if asked!

Also when you say transiting do you mean you are flying into Vientiane and then getting another flight out? I've never done this and as far as I am aware if you do this you still need a visa since the Wattay airport doesn't have a transit lounge any arrival must pass through immigration.

Thanks for the reply Technocracy.

I'll be entering Laos at the Friendship Bridge (I live in Udon), going straight to the airport and flying out to Hanoi the same day. Returning, it will be the same itinerary, only in reverse.

When I add up the cost plus the hassle factor. It is a lot easier to fly from Vientiane to Hanoi. If I flew out of Udon to Don Muang Airport, taxi, overnight in Bkk, taxi, new airport to Hanoi, return same thing...I figure it's two days travel, plus the hassle.

Thanks for the reply Technocracy.

I'll be entering Laos at the Friendship Bridge (I live in Udon), going straight to the airport and flying out to Hanoi the same day. Returning, it will be the same itinerary, only in reverse.

When I add up the cost plus the hassle factor. It is a lot easier to fly from Vientiane to Hanoi. If I flew out of Udon to Don Muang Airport, taxi, overnight in Bkk, taxi, new airport to Hanoi, return same thing...I figure it's two days travel, plus the hassle.

Get a visa on arrival at FB then another on the return to Wattay airport - fill out the paperwork youself (one simple form) and have 2 passport pics. Don't pay anyone to 'do your visa' it's simple at FB just go to the 3 white visa windows and they'll give you the forms - fill them out give them back with passport and payment - sit and wait.

One tip, get an extra visa form ready for you return so at Wattay you can just get straight in line and not have a huge wait.

Just make sure you have $ not baht as the price get hiked up for baht payment of visas.

• 1 month later...
Hi Technocracy,

What is the internet like in Lao?

What I mean is ADSL or Cable high speed internet at home?

Thanks...

Erm average at best! :o

Well that is unless you pay a huge amount of money for a fast link. ADSL is scarce due to a lack of phone lines and DSLAM for termination and when you can get it you'll get 128kbps for about $60 per month (if I remember rightly). There is other option available such as satellite but these are even more expensive. I personally use a wireless service with Planet Online Internet which is pretty good as you get a minimum of 256kbps and upto 1Meg - the downside is it is bandwidth limited you can either have 25Gb or 50Gb packages which are supposed to be yearly - but basically if you use the bandwidth then you have to pay again or if the 12 month comes around then it expires.

25Gb is $480 and 50Gb is $800.

If you want to know more there website is: http://www.planet.laopdr.com

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks in advance.

I saw today Laos has a Transit Visa: http://www.bkklaoembassy.com/consular%20se...information.htm

"* Maximum five days for stay (in Vientiane only).

* Proof of an entry visa and air ticket to the third country."

Which would defer the cost, and more importantly, for me anyway, the hassle of flying from Udon into Bangkok and connecting to say an international destination like Vietnam, Cambodia, or China.

I'm not sure of what other direct international routes go out of Vientiane?

I think the best thing will be to talk to the people at the Lao Consulate in Khon Kaen.

Also this: "All types of visas are issued for one entry and must be used within two months of issue date."

I couldn't find anything on the multiple entry, except them saying that Laos has one.