Lao PDR - Visas, Residency Info.

technocracy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Technocracy,

I been to Vientiane 4 time,of course to reniew the visa,but every time I spend a week in the city i quite enjoi this city.

My idea is to open an italian restaurant or take over an exsisting one any possible help in this direction.

Thanks Francesco

Hi Technocracy,

I been to Vientiane 4 time,of course to reniew the visa,but every time I spend a week in the city i quite enjoi this city.

My idea is to open an italian restaurant or take over an exsisting one any possible help in this direction.

Thanks Francesco

Well restaurants are perfectly feasible and there is several already and I know of a new Italian which will be opening above the Pimpaphone Minimart opposite Kop Jai Deu (mainly as I know the boss has ask someone I know to be the chef and he is considering if do it).

As for taking one over . . . it might be possible but the thing is in general it's the same as Thailand .. .. if they are trying to get out there must be a reason for it! The paper setting one up isn't huge - restaurants are easy in comparison to bars/nightclubs - they keep these to a minimum the ones that there is are usual owned by family of army generals or government official etc.

The most important thing like all cities is location . . the centre around the fountain and the mekong road is the area you need to be and obviously is the most expensive place in Vientiane.

Hi Technocracy,

Thanks Francesco

Well restaurants are perfectly feasible and there is several already and I know of a new Italian which will be opening above the Pimpaphone Minimart opposite Kop Jai Deu (mainly as I know the boss has ask someone I know to be the chef and he is considering if do it).

As for taking one over . . . it might be possible but the thing is in general it's the same as Thailand .. .. if they are trying to get out there must be a reason for it! The paper setting one up isn't huge - restaurants are easy in comparison to bars/nightclubs - they keep these to a minimum the ones that there is are usual owned by family of army generals or government official etc.

The most important thing like all cities is location . . the centre around the fountain and the mekong road is the area you need to be and obviously is the most expensive place in Vientiane.

Thank you Technocracy,as I'm chef my self, Please see the outcome if the person you know doesn't take the job maybe it will be a start for me in Vientiane. Thank you again Francesco :o

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Technocracy,

Thanks Francesco

Thank you Technocracy,as I'm chef my self, Please see the outcome if the person you know doesn't take the job maybe it will be a start for me in Vientiane. Thank you again Francesco :o

If I was you I'd just go and visit the Pimpaphone minimarket and enquire . . you never know .. .. as would be said if you don't ask you don't get!

• 3 months later...
For nine years I been sharing some rural acerage here in Northernmost Thailand with two families - both are immigrants from Laos. Surely, the sweetest people all-around that I've had the pleasure to know.

Every year they travel back to the home village in the northernmost part - up by China - to re-connect with their people. Last time they went though, a Lao official showed up and told them not to hang out. Not sure why - but probably to discourage my friends from encouraging other Lao vilagers from splitting to go to Thailand.

My friends always ask me to go along on the trip, but I haven't swung it yet. However, they say there are some farang settling up there - marrying local gals, building nice houses, etc.

be nice to read more. Where would i find more of this?

I've heard of numerous falangs settling in the more remote regions of Laos - I have to say whoever does it would be a stronger man than me! Although the ones I've heard of settling in Vang Vieng I can fully understand due to the tourist trade there and only 3 hours from Vientiane

You are talking about town with populations of no more than 50,000 people and have very very little in the way entertainment let alone shops or Internet for that matter. That said I really do like Xam Neua in the North East of Laos it has a really individual atmosphere - it's very much a one horse town having about 3 restaurants and the only shopping is the food market and an indoor market. It's also the minimum of 5 hours drive from any other towns - about 6 hours to Vietnam and 5 hours to Phonsavanh.

People think I am remote in Vientiane - but Vientiane is a thriving metropolis compare to the likes of Xam Neua and Phonsavanh etc.

Oh also for people who might be interested I now know people who can arrange a 12 month 'work' visa that is the equivalent of a spouse visa - the only rule attached is that you must leave Laos every month, but once you have the visa you don't need another. When I say leave Laos you can do a border run over to Nong Khai and come back you don't have to be out length of time.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Do the Lao banks pay interest to you?

Yes - they pay on a yearly basis, the % is dependant on the type of account and the currency (Kip, US$ or Baht).

BCEL now has Internet banking - although I don't know how much functionality it offers.

Last year they quoted me 10% interest if you pay in monthly deposits, is that true?

Do the Lao banks pay interest to you?

Yes - they pay on a yearly basis, the % is dependant on the type of account and the currency (Kip, US$ or Baht).

BCEL now has Internet banking - although I don't know how much functionality it offers.

Last year they quoted me 10% interest if you pay in monthly deposits, is that true?

Depends on the account - below is the details of their accounts:

Type of Account Interest Rates (%) / year

Current Account - - -

Saving Account 3 1.25 1.00

Time Deposit Account

3 Months 6 1.75 1.25

6 Months 8 2.50 2.00

12 Months 10 3.00 2.50

24 Months 14 4.50 4.00

Edit: That doesn't come out right . . .the 3 figures are for Kip, Dollar and Baht accounts so the Saving Account - has 3% for Kip, 1.25% for $ and 1% for Baht.

Edited by technocracy

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Technocracy!

Do you know anything about starting a company in Laos!

Easy, difficult or impossible?

Thinking about a smaller IT company and employ some of my girlfriends family!

/sunem

Sorry I ain't read thread for a long time . . well to be honest the IT side of things is pretty well tied up from by local companies - if you establish under the gf's name that things are easy if you want do it under yours then the application has to go the PM's office for approval.

Technocracy!

/sunem

Sorry I ain't read thread for a long time . . well to be honest the IT side of things is pretty well tied up from by local companies - if you establish under the gf's name that things are easy if you want do it under yours then the application has to go the PM's office for approval.

Can defenitly be done in my GF name!

And the work would be to handle updates on international websites. So I think I'll have a go later this year.

Hopefully gonna spend some time in Vientiane then!

/sunem

• 3 weeks later...
You talk like this is all a big hassle, but compared to the hoop jumping you go through for Thai residency it looks amazingly simple.

What are officials like to deal with there?

The situation in Lao is a big hussle no doubt ! Is cheeper to go in and out of the country every month then pay the agency ! just remenber that even if are angaged with a lao lady you cannot live under the same roof, you will be havy fined if no deported. only if you are married you can , this can take up to 2 years and oly after yo pay between 2 and 4 thousend usd. The system is a disgrace !

Technocracy!

/sunem

Is not easy, I have tried, what is the point when you cannot even share the same room with your girlfriend, even if you have the official engagement papers. You will be fined and deported ! only if you are married you can, after 2 years almost.

lao is very stright with the marriage procidings and it will not change. In thailand is much easy and so in vietnam. i lost a large ammont of money in Lao .

what an experiance !

be carfull. be smart !

Is not easy, I have tried, what is the point when you cannot even share the same room with your girlfriend, even if you have the official engagement papers. You will be fined and deported ! only if you are married you can, after 2 years almost.

lao is very stright with the marriage procidings and it will not change. In thailand is much easy and so in vietnam. i lost a large ammont of money in Lao .

what an experiance !

be carfull. be smart !

Official engagements papers?Can you explain,please?

Many people,some of them friends of mine,lost a lot of money in Thailand.They all had Thai girlfriends! :)

• 1 month later...

what an experiance !

be carfull. be smart !

Official engagements papers?Can you explain,please?

Many people,some of them friends of mine,lost a lot of money in Thailand.They all had Thai girlfriends! :)

Sounds like someone wasn't very discreet!

Abdulrahman .. .official engagement papers are essentially your intention to marry which must be witness and agreed/signed by the village head and the local friendly neighbourhood policeman. These are you first step to getting married after you have these you then have to go through several police interviews and many other forms will be completed along the way.

The point why you can't share a room with your girlfriend is a vain attempt to stop Laos from becoming a clone of Thailand! :D

• 3 months later...

Although it has been said in this thread that opening an account in a Lao bank is easy, I have a different experience.

A week ago I tried to open an account in BCEL (Savannakhet Branch), but couldn't. They said that one can have an account only if one worked in Laos. As a tourist, even a regular tourist, I'm just to use their ATMs with my Thai-card. No account in Laos.

Are the branches in Vientiane different, or "more lenient"?

Although it has been said in this thread that opening an account in a Lao bank is easy, I have a different experience.

A week ago I tried to open an account in BCEL (Savannakhet Branch), but couldn't. They said that one can have an account only if one worked in Laos. As a tourist, even a regular tourist, I'm just to use their ATMs with my Thai-card. No account in Laos.

It's possible that they have tightened up - there was a campaign to stop money laundering going on a year or so ago so maybe since then they've bought in this rule.

It was over 5 years ago when I opened my account so lots could of changed in that time. I just walked in and asked for an account and the just wanted see my passport and where I was staying.

Maybe try a different bank - the BCEL are probably the strictest!

If they ever catch up with the rest of the world and have online banking that'll do International transfers Laos could suddenly become a very popular off-shore banking location given they don't have dual tax treaties with numerous western countries! :)

• 3 weeks later...

It's possible that they have tightened up - there was a campaign to stop money laundering going on a year or so ago so maybe since then they've bought in this rule.

It was over 5 years ago when I opened my account so lots could of changed in that time. I just walked in and asked for an account and the just wanted see my passport and where I was staying.

Maybe try a different bank - the BCEL are probably the strictest!

If they ever catch up with the rest of the world and have online banking that'll do International transfers Laos could suddenly become a very popular off-shore banking location given they don't have dual tax treaties with numerous western countries! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
====clip===

Oh also for people who might be interested I now know people who can arrange a 12 month 'work' visa that is the equivalent of a spouse visa - the only rule attached is that you must leave Laos every month, but once you have the visa you don't need another. When I say leave Laos you can do a border run over to Nong Khai and come back you don't have to be out length of time.

T, I am giving some serious thought to retiring to Laos later this year. Loved Vientiane everytime I've been there. Do you have any visa updates to share with us? Or can you tell us about anyone using this 12-month visa method? It's pitfalls, if any? Doing the one-month visa with two extensions comes up to about $500 US a year. If one can do this all in one stroke, I'd still pay $500.

Thanks.

====clip===

T, I am giving some serious thought to retiring to Laos later this year. Loved Vientiane everytime I've been there. Do you have any visa updates to share with us? Or can you tell us about anyone using this 12-month visa method? It's pitfalls, if any? Doing the one-month visa with two extensions comes up to about $500 US a year. If one can do this all in one stroke, I'd still pay $500.

Thanks.

Well nothing has changed on the visa front. You only have two option for a 12 month visa - that is a 12 month Work Permit or the one I mention above.

Either way the basic cost for either of those visas is $200 if done direct with immigration and if you get someone to arrange one for you it should cost no more than an extra $100 fee.

Although I am no longer in Laos . . . . now in Singapore for the foreseeable future. But obviously have plenty of ties and connections back there . . . :)

• 4 weeks later...

I read the whole thread and I couldnt find the speficic answer I need, thought maybe you can help! :)

My parents want to retire in Vientiane. It WILL NOT be any problem at all for them because both are completely fluent in Lao, being that Lao is their first language.

They are both now currently US citizens, but both were born, raised in Lao, and are ethnically Lao. They left in the late 70's and they are not political enemies of the current government. lol

For a residency visa, you said they need a Lao spouse (for falang)...but would both my parents still qualify since Lao was their home for almost 30+ years. Would they be able to apply the moment they return to Lao?

Also I heard somewhere about some type of honorary Lao citizenship? Forgot where, maybe Vientiane times, it was a long while ago.

My last question would be, my mother wants to put her land (her inheritance from her father) into her name instead of it currently being held under her younger sister and brother.

Would residency visa or some type of honorary citizenship allow this? Is there any other way to allow her to finally put her land in her name?

• 2 weeks later...
I read the whole thread and I couldnt find the speficic answer I need, thought maybe you can help! :)

My parents want to retire in Vientiane. It WILL NOT be any problem at all for them because both are completely fluent in Lao, being that Lao is their first language.

They are both now currently US citizens, but both were born, raised in Lao, and are ethnically Lao. They left in the late 70's and they are not political enemies of the current government. lol

For a residency visa, you said they need a Lao spouse (for falang)...but would both my parents still qualify since Lao was their home for almost 30+ years. Would they be able to apply the moment they return to Lao?

Also I heard somewhere about some type of honorary Lao citizenship? Forgot where, maybe Vientiane times, it was a long while ago.

My last question would be, my mother wants to put her land (her inheritance from her father) into her name instead of it currently being held under her younger sister and brother.

Would residency visa or some type of honorary citizenship allow this? Is there any other way to allow her to finally put her land in her name?

Hi,

I heard that the Lao government is seriously taking in consideration the possiblity for ex Lao citizen to get back their Lao citizenship even if they have a new one (my wife would be in that case also) but I have no idea if and when this will be done.

Knowing the Lao time frame for doing anything most probably it will take some time but that would solve all of your parents problems (including the land ownership as only Lao nationals can own land).

Cheers.

Yeah, but hopefully it would be able to do dual citizenship. My parents refuse to give up their US citizenship - for monetary and medical reasons.

Yeah I know how the government works... they been working on the road to our farm on the river for over 15 years now... and its still not done. lmao.

Anyways - anyone know of any banks I can walk into and open an account with just a Visit Visa?

I tried Public Bank (a Malay bank) - no go. I needed a work permit or open joint with Lao citizen.

I was looking at ST bank. I think its still new, but my mother opened an account in January this year. Although I dunno if I trust them. :s

I have an SCB (Siam Commercial Bank) account from Chiangmai. You think they will let me open a SCB - Vientiane branch account without a work permit? Or even Bangkok Bank although I dont have a Thai account with them.

Edited by Yunnie

• 2 months later...

I've heard of numerous falangs settling in the more remote regions of Laos - I have to say whoever does it would be a stronger man than me! Although the ones I've heard of settling in Vang Vieng I can fully understand due to the tourist trade there and only 3 hours from Vientiane

You are talking about town with populations of no more than 50,000 people and have very very little in the way entertainment let alone shops or Internet for that matter. That said I really do like Xam Neua in the North East of Laos it has a really individual atmosphere - it's very much a one horse town having about 3 restaurants and the only shopping is the food market and an indoor market. It's also the minimum of 5 hours drive from any other towns - about 6 hours to Vietnam and 5 hours to Phonsavanh.

People think I am remote in Vientiane - but Vientiane is a thriving metropolis compare to the likes of Xam Neua and Phonsavanh etc.

Hi,

Do you know how much it costs to get a 12 month 'work' visa ? (and is it possible to get it without an official work ?)

The purpose for me is just to be able to go to Lao for few days every month without having to apply for a new visa every time I cross the border.

Thanks.