Controversial Paintings At Art Show

sbk

Painting 'not meant to offend'

An artist has defended a painting portraying a dog covered in the saffron robes of a Buddhist monk, the second of his works to incur the wrath of the National Buddhist Assembly.

Published on October 3, 2007

Anupong Chanthorn said his painting "Mha-Nut" was not intended to insult Buddhism, but rather reflect ongoing social problems the public should tackle.

The same artist also flirted with controversy with another painting called "Bhikku Sandan Ka" (monks with crow-like natures).

Both paintings are on show at the 53rd National Exhibition of Art at Silpakorn University's Sanam Chan Palace campus in Nakhon Pathom until October 30.

They have both won at the art contest, and the university has said it cannot withdraw those prizes.

Anupong explained that "Mha-Mut" reflected the reality he observed at many temples, where pieces of the saffron cloth disintegrated into rags scattered everywhere for temple dogs to huddle around.

"I don't wish to argue with the protesters. I just want them to view my art so they see that they reflect real social problems that I have seen with my own eyes," he said. "Such problems struck me deeply so I explained them in the paintings. These things happen in our society, but nobody steps up to solve them."

Anupong said he believed monks who had made in-depth studies of Lord Buddha's teachings would understand his intention and that those knowledgeable people would realise what he was trying to show society.

Yannawit Kunjaethong, acting deputy rector of the university, said he had seen "Mha-Nut" and he thought it reflected ongoing social problems.

He conceded many monks agreed with "Bhikku Sandan Ka", such as Phra Payom Kalayano of Wat Suan Kaew.

The protests and complaints stemmed from both sides having different views, he said, and they should discuss the matter to find common ground.

Yannawit said the university would listen to all opinions before drawing a conclusion and making an announcement.

The Nation