Transferring Money Out Of Thailand

I would like to transfer a fairly small amount of money out of my Thai bank account into a UK bank account. I have accounts with SCB and Bangkok bank and can use either for the transfer.

Is this easily done? What do I need to request to ensure that I get the best rate available?

Sorry if this has been answered before, I had a look around and saw the question asked in other threads but couldn't see a definitive answer.

Thanks...

Jon

In my experience, you can transfer up to Bht 1,000,000.00 in one transaction. The money must be converted to foreign currency (in your case, Sterling) prior to sending. Bangkok Bank will do this as I guess will all the other well known banks.

It would not be the least expensive option,but if time is against you but you have someone in the UK,you could send the money either by Western Union Money transfer, which is available in most of the Thai banks,plus its there in about ten minutes,not sure of the limits in Thailand though,there are restrictions,or Moneygram,via Siam commercial bank.

Both of these option are fast and reliable and avoid the boring conversations in banks.

Nick

I'm retired and have no work permit. I bank with Siam Commercial here in Thailand and Citibank in the US. I looked into different ways and none of them looked simple. I had Siam Commercial make a check out in US Dollars to Citibank. I wrote for deposit to account number XXXXX only and signed it. I then went to the Thai post office and sent it via EMS to my US bank. I had no problems at all.

Was told I need a wp to transfer money out or even to buy a draft. I was treated like a criminal trying to rob them.

I don't possess a w*rk permit, I am retired. But as I said it is my personal experience.

I too have always been asked to show my Work Permit when transferring money out. In fact it's been the case for the last 13 years I've been here.