Jump to content
BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Aussietraveller

Cambodia Visa

Recommended Posts

I was told you have to apply for the extension more than one week before the first 30 days runs out. Also they now recommend that you get the retirement visa & not the business visa. Otherwise they are assuming you will be planning to work in Cambodia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many travel agents can do this.

 

A lot of people use Lucky Moto

No. 413Eo, Preah Monivong (St. 93),

Phone: 023 220 988

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2018 at 9:19 PM, Sheryl said:

Many travel agents can do this.

 

A lot of people use Lucky Moto

No. 413Eo, Preah Monivong (St. 93),

Phone: 023 220 988

Would a retirement visa be available in Kep if I move there from Thailand?

 

Is health care of a similar standard to Thailand, I have AIA insurance.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. The visa has to be done in Phnom Penh. But there might be an agent in Kep who can arrange it for you, I don't know. But if so they'll have to physically send the passport to PP. No imm offices in provinces like there are in Thailand.

 

2. The answer "No" doesn't begin to do justice to the situation. The quality of health care is beyond abysmal and heakth care providers, in addition to a staggering level of incompetance, can be extremely unethical. I could tell you stories you would not believe.

 

Middle and upper class Cambodians go to Thailand or Viet Nam for health care, even for simple check ups. Even the poor do if they can scrape up the funds.

 

In addition to being of horrible quality the health care is costly. Government hospitals charge more than govt hospitals do in Thailand despite much lower incomes.

 

All that said, of such health care as is available in Cambodia, one of the best facilities is in Kampot provonce not far from Kep.

 

You want to be sure your health insurance will cover medi-vac to Thailand or Viet Nam (from Kep, VN will be closer, jyst a couple of hours trip). . If the insurer has any familiarity at all with Cambodia they will understand the necessity.

 

The big danger is if you are too ill to be moved or can't wait long enough.

 

 

 

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Changoverandout said:

Would a retirement visa be available in Kep if I move there from Thailand?

 

Is health care of a similar standard to Thailand, I have AIA insurance.

 

 

Retirement EXTENSION, ( not visa), is easy to do via an agent in Kampot, (i dont know any in Kep), or via an agent in PP.

You need be 55. no money needed to show in bank like Thailand. Cost apx $290

When u enter Camboida, request an ordinary visa ( $35) which is the one that can be extended for up to a year.

 

Health care on Cambodia LOL<,

as above, most travel to Thailand or Vietnam. Kep has a very small provincial hospital but even those in Kep go to Kampot

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two of the Kampot agents left town with the money they were given for visa extensions. They did leave the passports at least.

Better to go to P.P. yourself. If you take the morning Capitol bus from Kampot it stops in P.P. just around the corner from Lucky Lucky. Take Sorya bus back to Kep in the afternoon. Or D.I.Y..

Giantibis from Kampot will drop you at immigration office opposite the airport. It's easy and they are friendly though not with their handling of the passports. It takes about 10 days to get done. They will tell you the date for pick up. You need to go at least a week before your visa expires.

 

When Sheryl mentioned going to Vietnam for medical that does not include your nearby border crossing at Ha Tien. .Kampot has a German funded hospital with foreign doctors. Someone said it's ok. There is a Swiss doctor downtown. There is an acupuncturist also. But he seems to have the same office as a tattooist.

If you have health concerns you should live near an international airport.

Edited by my friend I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2018 at 10:37 AM, my friend I said:

Two of the Kampot agents left town with the money they were given for visa extensions. They did leave the passports at least.

Better to go to P.P. yourself. If you take the morning Capitol bus from Kampot it stops in P.P. just around the corner from Lucky Lucky. Take Sorya bus back to Kep in the afternoon. Or D.I.Y..

Giantibis from Kampot will drop you at immigration office opposite the airport. It's easy and they are friendly though not with their handling of the passports. It takes about 10 days to get done. They will tell you the date for pick up. You need to go at least a week before your visa expires.

 

When Sheryl mentioned going to Vietnam for medical that does not include your nearby border crossing at Ha Tien. .Kampot has a German funded hospital with foreign doctors. Someone said it's ok. There is a Swiss doctor downtown. There is an acupuncturist also. But he seems to have the same office as a tattooist. 

If you have health concerns you should live near an international airport. 

True but the Bangkok Hospital group operates 2 decent hospitals in Cambodia - the first one is the Royal Siem Reap hospital and the second is the newer Royal Phnom Penh hospital. Ironically, both hospitals are located on the same road as their respective airports. I understand that Royal Siem Reap hospital charges foreigners much more than locals. Possibly the same for Royal Phnom Penh hospital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports on these two hospitals are mixed and they have only a small number of doctors on staff (due to low utilization).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cambodian eVisa form is asking for :

 

"Surname (Please type 'NULL' if you don't have a surname)"

 

and then "Given Names".

 

Surname = my last name (i.e., family name)?

 

But then some people don't have a last name?

("Surname (Please type 'NULL' if you don't have a surname)")

 

Doing searches on "surname" but not sure what they're asking for.

 

Edited by JimmyJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vietnam eVisa form asks for:

 

"Surname"

 

"Givennames (s)" *As appears on your passport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Surname = last name, also sometimes teferred to as "family name"

There are cultures where people do not have last named

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

Thank you.

 

Just when you posted, I had checked my own Passport and found it uses "Surname" (last name) and "Given Names" (first/middle therefore), just as Cambodia and Vietnam do.

 

I had thought just a first name only was something for some entertainers like "Cher", "Charo", etc.

I always wrongly assumed that carrying on the family name was an ancient tradition that was done world wide, and that part had confused me.

Thanks for explaining.

Edited by JimmyJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The link in the OP was dead when I tried it just now. Maybe a new pinned thread would be appropriate given that the rules are all different, even if the link is not dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jerry921 said:

The link in the OP was dead when I tried it just now. Maybe a new pinned thread would be appropriate given that the rules are all different, even if the link is not dead.

 have edited the 1st post to have the correct link.

 

I have also remved posts with outdated info and some off topic posts.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...