Cambodia Visa

I was told you have to apply for the extension more than one week before the first 30 days runs out. Also they now recommend that you get the retirement visa & not the business visa. Otherwise they are assuming you will be planning to work in Cambodia.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

1. The visa has to be done in Phnom Penh. But there might be an agent in Kep who can arrange it for you, I don't know. But if so they'll have to physically send the passport to PP. No imm offices in provinces like there are in Thailand.

2. The answer "No" doesn't begin to do justice to the situation. The quality of health care is beyond abysmal and heakth care providers, in addition to a staggering level of incompetance, can be extremely unethical. I could tell you stories you would not believe.

Middle and upper class Cambodians go to Thailand or Viet Nam for health care, even for simple check ups. Even the poor do if they can scrape up the funds.

In addition to being of horrible quality the health care is costly. Government hospitals charge more than govt hospitals do in Thailand despite much lower incomes.

All that said, of such health care as is available in Cambodia, one of the best facilities is in Kampot provonce not far from Kep.

You want to be sure your health insurance will cover medi-vac to Thailand or Viet Nam (from Kep, VN will be closer, jyst a couple of hours trip). . If the insurer has any familiarity at all with Cambodia they will understand the necessity.

The big danger is if you are too ill to be moved or can't wait long enough.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Changoverandout said:

Would a retirement visa be available in Kep if I move there from Thailand?

Is health care of a similar standard to Thailand, I have AIA insurance.

Retirement EXTENSION, ( not visa), is easy to do via an agent in Kampot, (i dont know any in Kep), or via an agent in PP.

You need be 55. no money needed to show in bank like Thailand. Cost apx $290

When u enter Camboida, request an ordinary visa ( $35) which is the one that can be extended for up to a year.

Health care on Cambodia LOL<,

as above, most travel to Thailand or Vietnam. Kep has a very small provincial hospital but even those in Kep go to Kampot

Two of the Kampot agents left town with the money they were given for visa extensions. They did leave the passports at least.

Better to go to P.P. yourself. If you take the morning Capitol bus from Kampot it stops in P.P. just around the corner from Lucky Lucky. Take Sorya bus back to Kep in the afternoon. Or D.I.Y..

Giantibis from Kampot will drop you at immigration office opposite the airport. It's easy and they are friendly though not with their handling of the passports. It takes about 10 days to get done. They will tell you the date for pick up. You need to go at least a week before your visa expires.

When Sheryl mentioned going to Vietnam for medical that does not include your nearby border crossing at Ha Tien. .Kampot has a German funded hospital with foreign doctors. Someone said it's ok. There is a Swiss doctor downtown. There is an acupuncturist also. But he seems to have the same office as a tattooist.

If you have health concerns you should live near an international airport.

On 6/6/2018 at 10:37 AM, my friend I said:

Two of the Kampot agents left town with the money they were given for visa extensions. They did leave the passports at least.

Better to go to P.P. yourself. If you take the morning Capitol bus from Kampot it stops in P.P. just around the corner from Lucky Lucky. Take Sorya bus back to Kep in the afternoon. Or D.I.Y..

Giantibis from Kampot will drop you at immigration office opposite the airport. It's easy and they are friendly though not with their handling of the passports. It takes about 10 days to get done. They will tell you the date for pick up. You need to go at least a week before your visa expires.

When Sheryl mentioned going to Vietnam for medical that does not include your nearby border crossing at Ha Tien. .Kampot has a German funded hospital with foreign doctors. Someone said it's ok. There is a Swiss doctor downtown. There is an acupuncturist also. But he seems to have the same office as a tattooist. 

If you have health concerns you should live near an international airport. 

True but the Bangkok Hospital group operates 2 decent hospitals in Cambodia - the first one is the Royal Siem Reap hospital and the second is the newer Royal Phnom Penh hospital. Ironically, both hospitals are located on the same road as their respective airports. I understand that Royal Siem Reap hospital charges foreigners much more than locals. Possibly the same for Royal Phnom Penh hospital.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cambodian eVisa form is asking for :

"Surname (Please type 'NULL' if you don't have a surname)"

and then "Given Names".

Surname = my last name (i.e., family name)?

But then some people don't have a last name?

("Surname (Please type 'NULL' if you don't have a surname)")

Doing searches on "surname" but not sure what they're asking for.

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Surname = last name, also sometimes teferred to as "family name"

There are cultures where people do not have last named

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thank you.

Just when you posted, I had checked my own Passport and found it uses "Surname" (last name) and "Given Names" (first/middle therefore), just as Cambodia and Vietnam do.

I had thought just a first name only was something for some entertainers like "Cher", "Charo", etc.

I always wrongly assumed that carrying on the family name was an ancient tradition that was done world wide, and that part had confused me.

Thanks for explaining.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jerry921 said:

The link in the OP was dead when I tried it just now. Maybe a new pinned thread would be appropriate given that the rules are all different, even if the link is not dead.

have edited the 1st post to have the correct link.

I have also remved posts with outdated info and some off topic posts.

Update re business visas:

Cambodia now enforces its requirement that people working here have a work permit.  You can get an initial extension of stay on a business visa without a work permit (in order to give people time to look for work) but for subsequent extensions need to show a work permit.

So no longer as easy for long term stay as before.

If you are over 50/55 (conflicting info as to which) then you can get an extension of stay for retirement (ER visa) and that is currently quiet easy. Those under this age and not employed will find long stays more difficult.

There is not currently a category for extension based on marriage.

For both business and retirement extension need to enter on an E visa (NOT tourist visa) first.

• 1 year later...

We're thinking of going to Cambodia for a vacation when grandson is outta school in the spring. We'd like to drive our Thai car there and back, and we'd want to bring our two dogs there and back. Vet certificates to and fro I guess would be necessary if we could bring them. My grandson and wife are Thai (although she also has an American citizenship) Does grandson son need a passport? he'd be 11 then. Where would be the best crossing points in the south as we'd wanna go stay at a beach, to stay away from the smog. And of course a good b uncrowded beach area. thanks

Go thru the Khlong Yai crossing in Trat. Expect to pay some services charges on the Cambodian side. The road in Cambodia runs down to Koh Kong town. You will get to a four way crossing with a structure in the middle of the road after about 10 minutes. You turn left here for Koh Kong town but if you go straight you will get to some uncrowded beaches, one has a restaurant and very basic accommodation. Maybe better to stay in town.

Thais get a 4 week visa. Son needs a passport.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:04 PM, my friend I said:

Go thru the Khlong Yai crossing in Trat. Expect to pay some services charges on the Cambodian side. The road in Cambodia runs down to Koh Kong town. You will get to a four way crossing with a structure in the middle of the road after about 10 minutes. You turn left here for Koh Kong town but if you go straight you will get to some uncrowded beaches, one has a restaurant and very basic accommodation. Maybe better to stay in town.

Ty for info. Grandson is Thai

On 7/31/2019 at 9:04 AM, my friend I said:

Crossing at Hat Lek/koh kong you will be asked how long you stay an it cost ya 100 baht /day. Sometimes you need leave ur thai export document, sometimes ur blue book. You will be told you can only drive in koh kong province and u will be issued a red plastic plate to put on ur dash, I have driven all over Cambodia entering there. Roads are VERY Bad
EVERYONE needs passport, Thai's get 14 days visa free exempt entry, everyone else $30 for 30 days.
DONT drive in Shinoukville unless you want be stopped an made pay a fine

IF ur gong to Cambodia for the beach, i suggest, DONT > better value for ur money in Thailand, consider Koh Chang instead!!

Archived