Thai Buddhism And Disability

Gohonzon

About three years ago I had a road accident in Cambodia resulting in having to have my leg amputated.I was at that time considering entering a Wat with the possibility of ordination.From hospital in Cambodia I wrote to Phra Peter Pannapadipo (Phra Farang) asking whether being an amputee would in anyway disadvantage me in taking the yellow robe.It was quite hurtful to be informed that having a limb missing discluded me from the possibilityof ordination.Being informed that one must be whole in body (and mind) to become a monk in Thailand.I can find nothing in the Sutras to validify this,but only this-as Phra Peter informs me-it was layed down by the 1st Patriach.I have shared this experience with many other Buddhist (including a monk in Burma/Myamar) and all dispute-usually in horror-this apparent lack of compassion.Although I have now returned to another (Mahayana) practice,I still ponder as to why my disability should be discriminated against (?) in Thai Theravada Buddhism.Anyone?

Phra Peter really knows his stuff and goes by the book.

There is an old monk that lives near me with one leg. I dont know his story so, maybe he lost it after his ordination.

I do know that some temples are more lenient with ordination and Im sure you could find a temple in whitch to ordain.

Good luck, Paleface

Thanks Paleface.

As you say ,the disabled monk that you mention was probably ordained beforehand.It's not so much an issue to me as it was previously,and I'm now commited to another practice.However,I would still be interested if anyone could justify this quite bewildering form of discrimination in this modern age.That is,when the practicalities of being disabled are less severe than in times gone by.Best wishes.

However,I would still be interested if anyone could justify this quite bewildering form of discrimination in this modern age.That is,when the practicalities of being disabled are less severe than in times gone by.Best wishes.

Since it seems to be a literal interpretation of some old text, I wonder where they draw the line? A missing finger? Tooth removed? Tooth crowned? Circumcised...?

Interestingly enough I saw a programme on the Beeb where a Thai man had,had his penis severed and tied to a helium balloon,and let go, by his wife.It was never found again.True story.The outcome of all this is that he ordained as a monk-presumably without the missing part. :o

• 2 weeks later...
Interestingly enough I saw a programme on the Beeb where a Thai man had,had his penis severed and tied to a helium balloon,and let go, by his wife.It was never found again.True story.The outcome of all this is that he ordained as a monk-presumably without the missing part. :o

----> insert silly joke about him not being him no longer being whole in mind. <----