Fruits In Thai And English

snowleopard

Neeranam:

If pronounced incorrectly (with the K sound, instead of G, as in "gun"), the word will mean "a penis," in an extremely disapproving way.

Oh, I better be careful then!

Thought I got some funny looks in Lopburi when I shouted out "anyone want some penis!" :o

Does anyone know the English word for "ma-prang"?

according to my Thai dictionary it is a marian plum.

Thanks for that.

I have another fruit question.

I bought a yellow fruit from Doi Kam at the Airport last week.

I gave them to my wife at her restaurant and she asked me what they were called, I don't know the English and she(and her friends) don't know the Thai!

They are sort of a cross between a pear and a peppe to look at. Yellow, tasting like cucumber. The texture when cooked is like a potato a bit. They are great, whatever they are called, with melted butter.

• 1 month later...

Here are a few more fruits in Thai and English... :o

1.ส้มโอ "som ooh"=pomelo

2.ชมพู่ "chom-poo"=rose apple

3.น้อยหน้า "noi naa"=sugar apple

4.กระท้อน "gra-toon"=santol;sandorica

5.ละมุด "la-mot"=sapodilla

6.ทับทิม "tap-tim"=pomegranate

7.มะยม "ma-yom"=star gooseberry

8.มะเฟือง "ma-feu-ang"=carambola

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

rockmellon / cantalope cantaloupe

and honeydew the green cantalope?

and custard apple as I see they are in season now?

How many varietes of mango do they grow here in thailand?

in north queensland there are a few varieties grown. bowen mango,banana mango and my special favourite the strawberry mango.

I tried this one the other day, my friend said it was called 'dragonfruit'

The outside is weird, sorta like a dragon (?), the inside was white with tiny black seeds and it had a soft texture, nice stuff...

what's da thai word?

I reckon you're talking about แก้วมังกร "gaeow mang-gorn"! :o

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

Dragon fruit are most definately grown in Thailand.I bought three spikey stems at a roadside stall on the way to Phuket and have planted them in our garden near Udon not sure if they will fruit but are growing away ok so far.I have planted a very wide range of thai fruit trees to see how they do nearly all have thrived.

Dragon fruit are most definately grown in Thailand.I bought three spikey stems at a roadside stall on the way to Phuket and have planted them in our garden near Udon not sure if they will fruit but are growing away ok so far.I have planted a very wide range of thai fruit trees to see how they do nearly all have thrived.

They are grown in Thailand (my GFs aunt has a beautiful little plant in her back yard), but they are not native to Thailand.

My girlfriend says she started seeing them about five years ago, and they have become increasingly popular. She also assumed they were from China, so it's interesting to know they stem from America... GMOed?

:o

• 4 weeks later...
I bought some more of the fruit today, and asked the woman in the shop. It is called Fak Mo Hong.

On my recent weekly trip to the domestice airport in Bangkok I saw this fruit again in "Doi Chang" and they had the English name - crooked neck squash.

Amazing how helpful the shop assistants are, or maybe just tired of me asking them what the English word was.

They are great fried with garlic butter :o