Pay Rates - For Small Business

soundman

I have been asked many times what I pay my staff. Here is a condensed version.

Pls. Remember that minimum pay rates for labour vary from province to province.

Service station staff. - 150B per day (8 hour shift)

Service station cashier. - 8,000 per month (8 hour shift, 7 days per week usual, sometimes day on, day off 16 hour day - up to the cashiers)

Speaker Factory Labour - 150B per 8 hour day + OT.

Experienced however un-qualified "chang" - (builder or engineer) -240B - 320B per day (6 day week with avg 1.5 hrs OT at current loading percentages)

Dump truck driver - 5000B per month + per trip bonus on km's. (7 day week is the norm)

Motor Grader driver - 1000B per day. (on call)

Backhoe Driver - Same as Dump truck driver with slightly larger bonus.

Professional sound staff. 450B per day inc. accomadation & meal allowance. 1000B per day on setup & packup (work 24 hours per day on these days) - Usually get about 5 - 8 days work per month.

If anybody would like to share what they pay staff in their industry (manufacturing, hospitality, service, bars for eg.) pls. list them here.

Also, if anybody feels that being a farang employer forces them to pay higher rates than their Thai competitors, I would love to hear about that as well.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Hospitality Industry:

normal staff (no English): Baht 5,000/ month + share of Service Charge

staff with English: Baht 6,000/ month + share of Service Charge

12 hour shifts with possibility to take 1-2 hours off, if "nothing to do"

7 days a week in Season, off season 1 day off per week

try to recruit from Village and pay for English lessons

all staff have housing free and 3 meals a day free

Seppl :o

I'll give some pay rates of the factory I worked at for more than 5 years.

First though I must point out I am not a business owner / or self employed. However, I was employed by a family company for over 6 years to over see the building & opening to the eventual full running of a textile factory in a central provience outside of Bangkok.

The rates of pay for the construction staff were dealt with by the contractors & had nothing to do with me.

After completion of the factory building & installation of machines then we could start recruitment. The family already had a knitting factory in the Rangsit area & previously had problems with unions that nearly cost them the business (yes unions exist here & are strong ! ) After solving the problem the company removed in one day 99 people, all male staff. This then set the company policy of only employing female staff. Employing females even in traditional male roles was a revelation & personel problems disappeared over night.

At first the company had to introduce males into the new company along with females but problems started almost immediately with guys not being at their work station not attending work coming in drunk sneaking out to buy alcohol smoking etc etc. It took a few months but we removed the male staff one by one to where we had I would estimate 95% of the staff were female.

What's this got to do with rates of pay ?? Well, rates of pay outside of Bangkok Zone C, 140 BHT per day ( Unskilled ) Skilled, (Electrician, engineer etc) depending on experience & age 6000 - 10,000 BHT per month. Remember this is what the government deem as "Zone C" area & was minimum wage.

Employing females makes for a reliable & far less problematic work force & one that is willing to listen & learn as opposed to a male work force that continualy "challange" your authority & which treat the work place as a masculine play ground to see who's top dog.

I forgot to mention some 'perks' the staff enjoyed for loyalty & year on year service.

1, Transport, if needed, to & from work.

2, Free accommadation for staff outside a cetain radius. Water & electricity free.

3, Free meal at break time.

4, Attendance bonus (monthly)

5, Yearly bonus for those who complete a calendar year (usually 2 months pay)

Just to add that most of our staff have free accomodation if required as well.

Heck chavy, the unions would have a field day if gender was specified in a job description in England or Australia for that matter! :o

Soundman.

Your not wrong there. On the advertising board outside the factory specifically states females only & an age between 18 - 25 and no shorter than 1.50 m

Heck chavy, the unions would have a field day if gender was specified in a job description in England or Australia for that matter! :o

Soundman.

Your not wrong there. On the advertising board outside the factory specifically states females only & an age between 18 - 25 and no shorter than 1.50 m

Not to hijack an intelligent post (I'm thinking of moving to Chonburi with the wife and finding something for me to do business wise, small food or coffee or beer place) but my biggest concerns and questions are about what will be required of the crooked police and mafia? I can't imagine all these stories about bribes are not true... A farang face on a new storefront, what kind of things will I be concerned about?

Maybe I should go to work for someone else... :D I'm a plumber and building inspector in the states. Probably not much call for this type of instruction or service in thailand? Thanks guys. max.

p.s. yes, I'm looking up to you business owners! :D

Heck chavy, the unions would have a field day if gender was specified in a job description in England or Australia for that matter! :D

Soundman.

Not to hijack an intelligent post (I'm thinking of moving to Chonburi with the wife and finding something for me to do business wise, small food or coffee or beer place) but my biggest concerns and questions are about what will be required of the crooked police and mafia? I can't imagine all these stories about bribes are not true... A farang face on a new storefront, what kind of things will I be concerned about?

Maybe I should go to work for someone else... :D I'm a plumber and building inspector in the states. Probably not much call for this type of instruction or service in thailand? Thanks guys. max.

Max, you should maybe start an own thread with your questions

would be helpful for all

Seppl :o

I am sure you have told me before chavy, but my memory fails me.

Why a height requirement?

I am sure you have told me before chavy, but my memory fails me.

Why a height requirement?

The height requirement is because the port hole for the machine is at a certain height & also retreiveing the fabric end also required the operator to reach inside the machine. For health and safety reasons we did not want a small person stretching & struggling or reaching inside the machine with a foreign object like a pole or indeed anything that could damage the inside of the machine. Ok, we made platforms for operator comfort to reach up to the working area of the machine but you can only go so far practically.

Soundman.

Hi Max & welcome to the Thai Visa forum.

Just a word of advice about working in Thailand.

I've been working here with a valid work permit for 6 years. Although I have the "work" permit this only entitles me to work in an advisery capacity, in other words I'm not allowed to do any manual physical work. The idea is a Thai national can do the physical side of things so you doing that deprives a Thai of employment, which can be bad news for you if caught. My advice is by almeans start your own business & good luck to you with it but have your permit but direct from afar & keep in the back ground as much as possible.

Just to elaborate on my last post.

I have an example of the problems encountered if caught "working".

When I first arrived I was almost immediately sent up to the building site to help direct operations. When there I found that the main building contractor, which was a well respected English firm with outlets all over Asia, had employed a French guy well versed with the Thai way of things & had been in Thailand for 12 years already. He kept a close hold on things like the building staff & materials. The staff soon came to find that selling on the building materials was far more profitable than a days wage so many items were short. This French guy started to strictly control all materials , tools etc etc. The problem was he also got stuck in with the workers. This led to his down fall. One of the foreman on the job reported him. He was observed doing manual labor which his work permit doesn't allow. He was arrested imprisoned & only after lengthy palm crossing with silver released. However, he was deported & the building contractor incured a huge under the table fine.

When I first arrived I was almost immediately sent up to the building site to help direct operations. When there I found that the main building contractor, which was a well respected English firm with outlets all over Asia, had employed a French guy well versed with the Thai way of things & had been in Thailand for 12 years already. He kept a close hold on things like the building staff & materials. The staff soon came to find that selling on the building materials was far more profitable than a days wage so many items were short. This French guy started to strictly control all materials , tools etc etc. The problem was he also got stuck in with the workers. This led to his down fall. One of the foreman on the job reported him. He was observed doing manual labor which his work permit doesn't allow. He was arrested imprisoned & only after lengthy palm crossing with silver released. However, he was deported & the building contractor incured a huge under the table fine.

I wonder if that was a backlash to a perceived pay defiency or just pure greed. I have noticed that daily payrates between different constuction companies vary greatly.

Speaking of only hiring female staff, a business associate of mine (Thai) has a business producing arc welders. He only employs female staff in the assembly phase of the units. I will have to ask him next time I see him his reasoning behind that.

Cheers,

Soundman.

PS. Those with actual work permit questions or requiring legal advice pls post Here or Here.

Thanx.

I wonder if that was a backlash to a perceived pay defiency or just pure greed. I have noticed that daily payrates between different constuction companies vary greatly.

Speaking of only hiring female staff, a business associate of mine (Thai) has a business producing arc welders. He only employs female staff in the assembly phase of the units. I will have to ask him next time I see him his reasoning behind that.

Cheers,

Soundman.

PS. Those with actual work permit questions or requiring legal advice pls post Here or Here.

Thanx.

Probably as my reason above...more reliable work force & less hassle

Telecoms Engineer or Computer ENgineer, first year out, we pay 13 500 upwards, second year 18 - 20 000.

Receptionist, very good English, 11500, second years 13 000.

Maid, live in, 5000,

COO, High level Government contacts, 45 000

Site staff at LEarning Centres, 7000

All staff get 1month bonus except COO, depends on results for him.

Community Liason, from 18 000 - 28 000, high level job meeting Governors in provences etc.

I run an Audio Visual company here in Phuket.

We pay our staff as follow;

Installation Manager - 20,000 Baht

Admin Manager - 20,000 Baht

Technical Manager (Lighting) - 18,000 Baht

Team Leader - 12,000 Baht

Junior Engineer - 8,000 Baht

Trainee - 7,5000 Baht

All staff are under 30, only the admin manager has a degree, apart from her only the installation manager can talk English. However they are by far the best staff I have witnessed on the island, all will work overtime (including midnight on new years eve) without batting an eyelid. We have never had a member of staff leave in 4 years and don't expect any of our staff to leave in the future.

Generally we give them a pay rise of 10+% every year, sometime substantially more (our Installation Manager started on 7k baht 4 years ago for example). Additionally w give a 1 months bonus at christmas, Birthday presents and entry into our christmas draw where everyone gets a prize valued at 5,000 baht +.

Edited by solo siam

• 2 weeks later...

Good thread,

We're garment manufacturers based in Bangkok but looking to move to another province. To attract reliable hard working staff we were thinking of paying the same as we do now. Anybody have any idea on this?

Salaries

Seamstress 6,000 8hrs 6 days a week.

Other staff - depends on experience and skill level. Most staff start on 4,500 with it increasing up to 6K over 6 months. I don't like staff who are slow and don't think, to be honest I'd prefer it if they left but we won't sack them.

We take the staff for a one day trip once a year, to the beach or sitting by a river eating and drinking. We used to take them out to eat once a month, but it's difficult to afford these days due to the low $ and increased staff. So we now take them out every 2-3 months.

I have heard some people in the same industry say that things go more smoothly if they pay by the piece.

As otherwise they end up paying some people for doing nothing.

I don't have experience in the garment industry but this is what I have heard from quite a few employers both Thai and foreign.

Good thread,

We're garment manufacturers based in Bangkok but looking to move to another province. To attract reliable hard working staff we were thinking of paying the same as we do now. Anybody have any idea on this?

Salaries

Other staff - depends on experience and skill level. Most staff start on 4,500 with it increasing up to 6K over 6 months. I don't like staff who are slow and don't think, to be honest I'd prefer it if they left but we won't sack them.

We take the staff for a one day trip once a year, to the beach or sitting by a river eating and drinking. We used to take them out to eat once a month, but it's difficult to afford these days due to the low $ and increased staff. So we now take them out every 2-3 months.

If you talk to the BOI (Bord Of Investment) they will point out the different pay structures in the different "Zones"

Zone C being the cheapest. Also the tax breaks for companies setting up in these area are , I understand, very attractive.

• 2 weeks later...
Good thread,

Salaries

If you talk to the BOI (Bord Of Investment) they will point out the different pay structures in the different "Zones"

Zone C being the cheapest. Also the tax breaks for companies setting up in these area are , I understand, very attractive.

Actually my idea was to pay Bangkok rates upcountry, this way I would attract better, harder working staff.

Paying by the piece is better, but with our work it's difficult to work out. It's often prefered by staff also.

Good thread,

Salaries

Actually my idea was to pay Bangkok rates upcountry, this way I would attract better, harder working staff.

Paying by the piece is better, but with our work it's difficult to work out. It's often prefered by staff also.

Yes paying staff Bangkok wages would attract a lot of interest. If you can afford to do that then that's fine. All I would say is be selective & check previous work stations.

• 1 month later...

Bar / restaurant - service staff - 3k start plus meals, accommodation and tips. Works out about 8k. 3 monthly increases.

Bar / restaurant - cashier - 5k plus meals, accommodation and tips. Works out about 10k. 3 monthly increases.

Bar staff - 3k plus drinks commissions plus tips. Works out about 8k.

Day time child care - 5k plus bonus.

Delivery driver - 6k plus bonus, plus commission for increased sales. Total about 8k.

Sales agents - Bt150 a day plus initial and repeat commissions using their own bikes. Can be over 10k. Some 15k.

• 2 weeks later...

In Bangkok.

Live out maid, no English - 7,500 plus transportation

Live in maid, speaks pretty good english - 6,500 plus meals

Driver 11,000. Way overpaid as he is lazy, speaks no English, arrives late yadda yadda

Project Manager (construction) - 18,000 + Profit share

Skilled staff (Construction) - 9,000

Unskilled staff - 6 or 7,000

Office staff (English speaking, customer fronting) 15,000+commission. ETE 50-60,000

We give performance related bonuses at Songkran, rather than Jan 1st as it seems to be more appreciated, just before the songkran holiday. These range from 1 to 3 months of salary depending on performance evaluation by myself. I have found that peer evaluation cannot work here as everybody just rates everybody else as wonderful.

Additionally, in the office i will only have female staff.

• 2 months later...

Came accross something interesting today.

Many businesses ask for a "guarantor or kum bragun" to provide a cash guarantee for staff who handle customers and cash.

For 7/11 cashiers, they are usually required to provide a guarantee for 10,000B or no job.

Sales staff for Singer direct sales. 100k Baht.

Most banks ask for a guarantee of 500K Baht for a tellers position. No wonder most bank tellers come from reasonably well off families. Always wondered why they never looked like the std. run of the mill shop assistant types.

Cheers,

Soundman. :o

Interesting thread.

I´v been trying to find information about salaries for different kinds of proffesion in Thailand for quite some time now. Maybe you can help.

Dentist, at least 5 years experince, in Bangkok, good english. How much do they earn per month?

Lawyer, at least 10 years experince, In Bangkok, good english. How much do they earn per month?

Maybe you dont have lawyers and dentist in your staff but please make guess anyway! :o