Pay Rates - For Small Business

soundman

How about the average basic salary of a salesgirl at a Department store? After adding commissions, approximately how much should she be able to take home? (Supposing she's to work 6 days per week including Saturdays and Sundays)

And, should she be entitled to any additional "paid annual holidays" besides the usual public holidays?

I always wonder when I see numbers like these...Are you sure these wages are current?

I don't know any of the people who graduated from the University I went to here making this little. The lowest salary I have heard any of my Thai friends received at their first job was 15,000.

Most of them were able to find a job making 20,000-30,000; granted they needed to do a good search to find the jobs in this range. From my conversations with them, if they were willing to take a job in the 15,000 to 20,000 range it seemed like the jobs were a dime a dozen.

I would begin to wonder if TV posters are offering wages lower than the true market value; if so, that may be why many are not happy with their staff.

I would like to borrow a quote I have seen used by many of those teaching English in Thailand, "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys..."

Edited by CWMcMurray

I always wonder when I see numbers like these...Are you sure these wages are current?

I don't know any of the people who graduated from the University I went to here making this little. The lowest salary I have heard any of my Thai friends received at their first job was 15,000.

Most of them were able to find a job making 20,000-30,000; granted they needed to do a good search to find the jobs in this range. From my conversations with them, if they were willing to take a job in the 15,000 to 20,000 range it seemed like the jobs were a dime a dozen.

I would begin to wonder if TV posters are offering wages lower than the true market value; if so, that may be why many are not happy with their staff.

I would like to borrow a quote I have seen used by many of those teaching English in Thailand, "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys..."

Maybe your figures are good for Bangkok but......out in the provinces you will struggle to find people on those sort of wages.

I am sure you are right in most cases, but I can give one case where these wages are possible in the provinces.

Double A came to the university trying to recruit new graduates. The University let them give their presentation in classes for 4th year business students.

They were offering 18000 THB per month base salary with steps up depending on GPA. One for +3.0 and another for +3.5. For someone with a 3.5 or higher they were offering 27,000THB per month along with free housing. The catch was that they had to be 'willing' to live and work up-country.

So I am guessing that if they recruit graduates/employees from BKK they pay BKK wages (expats from BKK) but if they hire locally they pay less.

Edited by CWMcMurray

Double A came to the university trying to recruit new graduates. The University let them give their presentation in classes for 4th year business students.

They were offering 18000 THB per month base salary with steps up depending on GPA. One for +3.0 and another for +3.5. For someone with a 3.5 or higher they were offering 27,000THB per month along with free housing. The catch was that they had to be 'willing' to live and work up-country.

Just had a look at what positions Double A are offering and they are mostly senior management or expert operator positions asking for degree, minimum work experience within field & fluency in English language.

From Double A website.

All jobs appeared to be in the management and operations side of their power plant business and taking the critical nature of that type of industry, you would actually expect better payment packages than what are being offered.

I think you are mixing apples with oranges.

Of course any sort of management position or professional position will pay substancially more than ordinary labour or basic technical positions.

I will list some examples of companies that pay minimum (or close to) wages and definately don't produce peanuts.

Toyota Chacherngsao - 189B per day (guaranteed according to their local recruitment billboards :o )

7/11 - Usually not much more than the particular jungwat's minimum wage (and the staff member has to provide a cash guarantor)

Cheers,

Soundman. :D

Just had a look at what positions Double A are offering and they are mostly senior management or expert operator positions asking for degree, minimum work experience within field & fluency in English language.

From Double A website.

All jobs appeared to be in the management and operations side of their power plant business and taking the critical nature of that type of industry, you would actually expect better payment packages than what are being offered.

I think you are mixing apples with oranges.

Of course any sort of management position or professional position will pay substancially more than ordinary labour or basic technical positions.

I will list some examples of companies that pay minimum (or close to) wages and definately don't produce peanuts.

Toyota Chacherngsao - 189B per day (guaranteed according to their local recruitment billboards :o )

7/11 - Usually not much more than the particular jungwat's minimum wage (and the staff member has to provide a cash guarantor)

Cheers,

Soundman. :D

Soundman I agree with you, we are talking about two different things. I was replying not to your original post, but to a post by someone else. It was my error for not quoting it in my post.

Please see the wages given by another poster below. These wages for management positions seemed lower than for entry level positions that people I know have been offered.

Installation Manager - 20,000 Baht

Admin Manager - 20,000 Baht

Technical Manager (Lighting) - 18,000 Baht

Team Leader - 12,000 Baht

Junior Engineer - 8,000 Baht

Trainee - 7,5000 Baht

Edited after looking at Double A website:

Didn't see anything like the positions offered at the presentation on the website. What they were offering when they came to the university sounded more like a management training program

Edited by CWMcMurray

Most of the posters here are talking about staff who aren't uni graduates, so the figures you quote aren't relevant.

Which university did you go to? If it was one where graduates are fluent in English, then I would tend to agree, because fluency is so rare here. In a lot of jobs ppl can get paid double if they are fluent.

Another thing I've also noticed is a tendency for ppl to overstate their income, for example maybe the get 30k, but this includes a car or other allowance.

Soundman, the job guarantee money that you talk about, is this legal? I have a feeling that it's illegal under an ILO treaty to which Thailand is a signatory. But I agree, it's common.