Thai Village Dogs-- Pariah Dogs

i'm looking for photos or info on the dogs that hang out in the villages : they look like husky, spitz types i.e. dog prototype, not mixed breed retriever/shepherd etc mixes. they have prick ears , tails that curve over their backs but not always, pointy noses, thse are the dogs that just 'hang around' in the villages but belong to one family or an other as 'working' dogs: hunt, whatever. Not fancy import breed dogs. also not the thai ridgeback.

a friend of mine Myrna Shibbolet, (judge of working dog groups, breeder of collies, canaani, ) has been studying pariah dogs for at least 30 years as these village type dogs, all over the world, are fast disappearing.

these breeds include: new guinea singing dog (extinct); israeli canaan (alive and working), syrian pariah dogs, egyptian, dingo (now mostly mixed with regular dogs that ran away etc), carolina dog (in the USA), etc. i brought to her attention some photos that i took, and she would like more info.

pariah dogs are dogs that live on fringes of civilization, but are truly native wild dogs, not wolf/dogs etc. and not dogs that were minipulated by people for a particular trait (like boxers, etc.)

u can pm me if you have photos, location, etc.

Bina, i know the type of dogs you mean, but would be hard pushed to refer to them as "wild" dogs. There are just different degrees of domestication and selective breeding of dogs in village dogs. True wild dogs (closest to dingos) live in a few remote forest areas still and are called "dhole", but I have no ideas about numbers or likely locations - contact Wildlife Fund of Thailand for info.

The hunting dogs in villages are now fewer and fewer as hunting itself is either forbidden by forestry officials or worthless due to the lack of game and forest itself. Meanwhile traditional Thai village mutts are quickly being being diluted by massive influx of horrible foreign breeds, polluting the pure national blood of the local hounds. Shocking! :D There's something obcene about seeing a giant German shepherd walking down the soi paw in paw with a scrawny Thai 57 variety, don't you think? :o

Bina,

There are quite a few dog's like that in my wife's family's village. They were born out in the wild , live wild , do what they wat to do but do like to hang around the huts for food and water. One even help's my father in law round up the cattle. But at the end of the day he's off doing wild dog stuff , I guess. The village is about an hour's drive from Korat .

Jeff