Music Licence For Beer Bar Or Restaurant

trampjuice

Hi this is on topic but slightly different.

I have a shop in the UK and I want to play Thai music. PRS got in touch and said I need to pay for their license but is GMM and RS affiliated to PRS? Does anyone know for sure? I didn't think they were.

I will certainly not be playing music from any of the international labels.

Cheers

Hi this is on topic but slightly different.

I have a shop in the UK and I want to play Thai music. PRS got in touch and said I need to pay for their license but is GMM and RS affiliated to PRS? Does anyone know for sure? I didn't think they were.

I will certainly not be playing music from any of the international labels.

Cheers

Might be worth starting you own thread for this, it will get better noticed.

I wonder if you bouth the licence from the Thai record company, would it be any good outside fo Thailand???

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
It's definitely worth getting the licenses. They are not that expensive (for a 30 seat pub it would cost 6000 Baht/year, or 500 Baht/month).

The risk of getting caught is real, fines are high (80,000 Baht, often negotiable down to maybe 30,000 with some luck) plus confiscation of equipment etc. You can pay for several years worth of licenses with 1 fine!

But that doesn't mean you can play music from pirated CDs/MP3s from hard drive though..........does it?

Penkoprod

But that doesn't mean you can play music from pirated CDs/MP3s from hard drive though..........does it?

Penkoprod

Obviously not.

You actually are not even allowed to play the music from an MP3 player or a PC.

To be allowed to do that you need a so called "music box" license, which basically allows you to copy your original CD's onto a another device, be it a PC, or any other player.

With this license comes a sticker which has to physically attached to the player.

• 11 months later...
You actually are not even allowed to play the music from an MP3 player or a PC.

Let me ask a question here, because I had wondered about this. I go to some really long-time pubs and bars in Bangkok that have a laptop right out in the open that acts as the jukebox. I dunno if they're paid up or not on tariffs, but these guys are in really obvious locations, the owners are farangs and they'd basically be busted if they weren't doing something - but they are never, ever busted.

What's the on-the-ground story on that? I do have friends who have run bars for decades here, but I've never thought to ask them how that works. Most of the stuff, like featuring live music, staying open past hours and what not just involves greasing the right palm and knowing what's acceptable with your payees, but what about this MP3/PC thing? It can't be dramatically different, can it?

Also, they've got to be taking the piss on this one, heh:

P14 Telephone (Music on hold)

1 to 20 extension number(s) 10,000 Baht/Switchboard/annum

21 to 60 extension numbers 20,000 Baht/Switchboard/annum

over 60 extension numbers 40,000 Baht/Switchboard/annum

Edited by on-on

theoretical question, but of academic interest:

What if I open a 50's theme bar, playing Bill Hailey and the like. The copyrights are by now expired (I think after 50 years it is), so nothing to protect anymore. Would I need any of those stickers?