Advice Required, Teaching In Thailand With Pgce. Thanks X

Hiya

Hopefully someone can give us some advice and any is greatly appreciated.

My girlfriend is a Primary School KS2 Teacher in the UK having both a degree and PGCE. We would like to come to Thailand in September 2008 for 12 months. I also would like to do my CELTA and my girlfriend would also do this if it made it easier for her to get a job.

Here are some questions we have:

1. What sort of salary could my gf look at getting, she has been a Primary Teacher for 18 months.

2. Would she be able to get a job on an Island as opposed to in Bangkok and would the salary be lower?

3. Can anyone recomend a good centre in Thailand where I can study for my CELTA.

4. Would I have trouble getting work. I have GCSE's, A Level in IT, and Advanced GNVQ in Business. I do not have a degree or any teaching experience. What sort of salary could i look at recieving.

5. Would a school employ my girlfriend as a teacher and myself as an assitant after i have done my CELTA

6. Anyone done the placement with I-TO-I in Thailand?

Many thanks for any advice that can be given, appreciated.

Ed

OK, here's my best guess:

1. Somewhere between 40K & 100K, depending on how well she markets herself. With those qualifications she should be in great demand. She should be able to get a job at a bilingual school or in the EP program of a higher end private school without any problem. She might also qualify for a job at an international school, but they usually pay more if they hire from abroad.

It will help if she is blond, blue-eyed and cute.... seriously!

2. Yes and yes.

3. I'll pass on answering this one.

4. You probably won't have trouble getting work at a language center, but you will have trouble getting a work permit, teaching license, type b visa, etc... You will probably earn less than her (30k to 40K) and will probably have to work illegally, making visa runs every 3 months.

5. The best schools, the ones that would give your girlfriend the best jobs, won't hire you as a teacher without a BA/BS. They might hire you as a librarian or something, but you'll be competing with Filipinos who will be better qualified. I've never heard of a Farang Teaching Assistant, but anything is possible.

6. Don't bother, you can get a better job by just showing up and calling up schools for an interview.

Thanks for the reply appreciate the comments and advice. Think I will steer clear of the I-TO-I course and find somewhere to do my CELTA when we arrive, have seen a centre in Phuket that does this, anyone heard of it??

What would we expect to spend on a decent 1 bed appartment in BKK...

Ps- The girlfriend is very pretty, Blonde,blue eyed,size 10 and v.endowed so thats a good thing lol.

If I may put in a plug for our forum sponsor (since you're now saying you don't care to do a certain course in BKK), SEE has a good course in Chiang Mai, which is a lovely place. We have 5 or 6 international schools, but their school term starts in August and they do their hiring before then. SEE has good contacts with private schools here. Weather is hot and rainy in Sept.

If I may put in a plug for our forum sponsor (since you're now saying you don't care to do a certain course in BKK), SEE has a good course in Chiang Mai, which is a lovely place. We have 5 or 6 international schools, but their school term starts in August and they do their hiring before then. SEE has good contacts with private schools here. Weather is hot and rainy in Sept.

SEE is very good I did my course there. John is a top guy as are his staff and he's extremely helpful. Just send him an email.

Any questions for me about the course or Chiang Mai just PM me.

Cheers