Vietnam Visa Info

cdnvic

I am hoping to get a 3 month Viet Visa to enter in Feb.

In Chiang Mai currently.

Is there any way I can get that while in Chiang Mai, or am I limited to a 30 day eVisa?

Can the 30 day eVisa be extended while in Vietnam?

Any other suggestions?

Visa on Arrival or is that only 30 days?

Haven't checked all airlines flight routes yet but assuming I'll have to go CM to BKK, then BKK to Da Nang which is where I want to land.

I'm going to have to get a 30 day eVisa.

Does anyone know if that can be extended or if when in Da Nang I can obtain a new 90 day visa to use once the 30 day eVisa expires?

Also - if I take Air Asia Chiang Mai to Da Nang - if I have an eVisa, do I also have to show Air Asia an outward flight ticket?

• 1 month later...

UPDATE on Vietnam visa rules:
Rather than having to make a border run every 30 days, as previously announced, tourists will be given the option of reporting to their local immigration office (for a fee of US$10), or of hiring an agent to do so. That would mean, on a 90 day tourist visa, you would report to the local IO twice, and have to cross the border and return with a new visa (or in the case of Americans, with a one-year visa, cross the border and return, three times a year).
See new Eli the Bike Guy video. New Visa Rules discussion occur roughly 12:30- 21:00

• Like 1

Here is Eli's new, succinct 7 minute video on the tourist visa process, focusing on the 90-day tourist visa only. Whether they (agents/immigration) will sell longer-term visas is another question. 

Vietnam tourist visas -- in-country extensions coming

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
Don't know how to embed YT video. Gave up

• 1 year later...

Well.....it's all happening in Vietnam. 

For those not informed, since approx 1st April, Vietnam started rejecting the vast majority of rolling business visas and a very large number of tourist visas. People who are trying to do new work permits to change jobs or get new jobs are ALSO being rejected.

The vast majority of those whose visa has been 'flagged' are being asked to leave the country within 15 days on an exit visa (which costs additional fees). Its basically a mass deportation. The deportees largely consist of retirees, digital nomads, workers whose workplace 1. improperly processed work permits or 2. didnt do it at all, or 3. used a dodgy agent to process (all unbelieveably common).

It is quite likely that once all is said and done, Vietnam will lose 75% of foreigners living in situ by around August this year. Hundreds and hundreds have already left (no choice really) just in the past few weeks alone. 

There remains no official Government announcement aside from "Those who entered Vietnam - specifically those after March 2020 - on a tourist visa have been granted an extra month stay"  Aside from that, no official notice at all.  It was just a decision made and executed. 

What does this mean? The takeaway is, for the next few years, it is quite likely that Vietnam will be totally out of the question for anyone who doesn't fit the following 2 criteria.

1. A tourist staying 30 days or less

2.An expert worker, with a minimum of a Bachelor Degree, 3 years+ verified experience in the field for the job in question outside of Vietnam (that can be formally verified).

In short, it has become very very very expat unfriendly in a very short space of time. 

Edited by La Quenta

41 minutes ago, La Quenta said:

Well.....it's all happening in Vietnam. 

For those not informed, since approx 1st April, Vietnam started rejecting the vast majority of rolling business visas and a very large number of tourist visas. People who are trying to do new work permits to change jobs or get new jobs are ALSO being rejected.

The vast majority of those whose visa has been 'flagged' are being asked to leave the country within 15 days on an exit visa (which costs additional fees). Its basically a mass deportation. The deportees largely consist of retirees, digital nomads, workers whose workplace 1. improperly processed work permits or 2. didnt do it at all, or 3. used a dodgy agent to process (all unbelieveably common).

It is quite likely that once all is said and done, Vietnam will lose 75% of foreigners living in situ by around August this year. Hundreds and hundreds have already left (no choice really) just in the past few weeks alone. 

There remains no official Government announcement aside from "Those who entered Vietnam - specifically those after March 2020 - on a tourist visa have been granted an extra month stay"  Aside from that, no official notice at all.  It was just a decision made and executed. 

What does this mean? The takeaway is, for the next few years, it is quite likely that Vietnam will be totally out of the question for anyone who doesn't fit the following 2 criteria.

1. A tourist staying 30 days or less

2.An expert worker, with a minimum of a Bachelor Degree, 3 years+ verified experience in the field for the job in question outside of Vietnam (that can be formally verified).

In short, it has become very very very expat unfriendly in a very short space of time. 

When the economic refugees, digital nomads, visa runners ,those on sketchy visas, no work permits were kicked out of Thailand, they looked next door for the easy visa requirements., etc. People were living on tourist visas, fake companies were started to give shady work permits, Americans took advantage of the 1 year business visa with no intention of pursuing any business. So called teachers were entering and working with no degrees. THESE are the people that are being denied visas. I don’t know of any country that allows people to stay, work without proper visas , work permits etc. Or try to live on tourist visas. 
those that have entered legally, with proper visas from REAL companies, those with proper degrees, those that have legitimate businesses, are more than welcomed! 
no different than ANY other countries in the world!

thailand , didn’t want these types, and neither does Vietnam,nor does any other country! best wishes to those leaving and good luck in your next destinations 

• Like 1