Callan/walen Ed Visa

Am I wrong about this? I appreciate your feedback.

I can’t say, because you formatted the text of your post in such a way as to make it difficult to read. If you agree, I will change the format of your post back to normal so that it may elicit more replies.

--

Maestro

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I am here on Non-B and work permit. No visa runs, no payment after every 3 months.

Are you?

Another one confused about visas and extensions! Let me translate it into the correct terminology:

Ajarnmark: “I am here with Non-B”

Translation: I arrived in Thailand with a non-B visa and received permission to stay for 90 days.

Ajarnmark: “...all I have to do is to extend my visa every year”

Translation: All I have to do is apply for an extension of stay every year.

Ajarnmark: “...no visa runs, no extensions at all”

Translation: No border runs, just an application for extension of stay once a year.

--

Maestro

I am currently a student a Walen School of Thai. Allow me address this topic from my experience and perspective. My schedule consists of classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10a - 12:50p with two 10-minute breaks at the top of each hour. I chose this accelerated track although there are 2-days per week, 2-hours per day tracks available as well. Each hour is considered 1 class deducted from the pool of 180 classes that 29,500 Baht gets you. In my case, I will pay a prorated fee once my 180 classes are completed to finish out a year but will of course obtain more advanced instruction for the additional time. It's my understanding that 180 classes (2-days/week, 2-hours/day track) will cover the entire 1-year plan.

The School and Teaching Environment:

The classroom is the perfect size for the amount of students while maintaining close proximity with one another to both watch/listen the teacher's enunciation/pronunciation while cycling through the question and answer system. The workbook is entirely in Thai script except for the English translation of each vocabulary word. There is no transliteration. This is a good thing. It is exactly how we all learn our native language. As an adult, this can be intimidating at first (trying to apply critical thinking skills). I can assure you that the method is solid and you get quite accustomed to the pace and style. I find myself recognizing the Thai word and meaning while looking at the Thai script within minutes. The lessons build upon one another so previous learning is reinforced with consistency.

The teachers are all very professional and have a great command of both Thai and English. They are meticulous in making sure that you get the pronuncation correct. This is vital with a tonal language as Thai. Yes, it's true that there are also attractive teachers and staff but I'm really not sure how that deters from the learning experience unless you haven't emotionally matured past the 8th grade. Anyone making allusions that the teachers were hired based on appearance as opposed to their abilities to conduct a class in this format are being sophmoric and insulting.

Yes, it's true that the workbook isn't flashy containing pictures and there are no whiteboards in the classroom. We also don't fingerpaint, have recess, or drink milk and have "nap time". What we do have is a solid learning environment that is fast paced and fun. It makes for effective adult learning.

Moving on...

Visa:

It was made very clear to me the my 29,500 Baht fee covered 180 classes that satisfied the course requirements for 1 year. After applying and paying my fee, my paperwork was taken to the Ministry of Education by a Walen staff member who obtained my 1-year Non-Immigrant paperwork that I needed to take to a Thai consulate to obtain my visa. I then made a trip to Phnom Penh, Cambodia (which I found to be the least expensive option to get to a Thai consulate). It took them 3 working days to process the paperwork, but since I had everything in order and the necessary documents from the Ministry of Education, it was simply a rote task for them to process my visa. No questions asked. I picked up my passport with my Non-Immigrant ED visa and returned to Bangkok.

NOTE: Here is where some people are getting confused. The Ministry of Education works in concert with the Dept of Immigration. The Ministry of Education approved my eligibility for my Non-Immigrant ED visa for 1 year to study Thai at Walen. You will see this on the paperwork that the Ministry of Education has you give to Immigration. Mine was from September 07 to September 08. It doesn't show up on the actual Non-Immigrant ED visa label. That is only valid for 90 days. Within that 90 days, you need to get another letter from the Ministry of Education from within Thailand (Walen takes care of this paperwork). This is to assure that you actually are starting the course at the school. You go to the immigration office with this new paperwork and then the process of the 90-day, 1,900 Baht fee cycle begins. Internally within the Dept. of Immigration, I am allowed to maintain this 90-day cycle for 1 year (come in with a letter from the school stating I'm still a student, pay 1,900 Baht and get another 90-day extention).

In my case, I can do this through September 2008. It is my understanding that I can apply for another year (assuming that I have completed the current track and I'm advancing my studies).

If you wish to leave Thailand and return within your current 90-day stay, you would simply obtain a single re-entry permit (1,000 Baht). A multiple re-entry permit is 3,800 Baht but unless you are planning on exiting and re-entering more than 3 times with your current 90-day stamp, a multiple re-entry permit is pointless.

This whole process is by far the best value and most convenient I have found. First, the school is in a great location (just off the Asoke BTS in the Times Square Buiding). If I don't want to leave Thailand during my entire study program (1-year), I don't need to leave. Simply visit Immigration every 90-days and pay their measly 1,900 Baht fee. That's it. I'm pretty shocked at people complaining about the 1,900 Baht fee every 90 days. It's only 1,900 Baht mate. What is your time worth?

Let's face it, we have all chosen to stay here in Thailand knowing well of their dodgy and ever-changing infrastructure. It's up to us to inform ourselves on the current immigration rules; not be hand-held by Walen or any other private institution for that matter. In my case, I was given full disclosure of the current rules and regulations at the time of my enrolment. I expect they will do the same with anyone else. For my money and piece of mind, this has been a tremendous value.

Feel free to contact me with any questions regarding Walen or my personal visa experience. I'm happy to help.

Cheers

Jeff

...I am here on Non-B and work permit. No visa runs, no payment after every 3 months.

Are you?

Another one confused about visas and extensions! Let me translate it into the correct terminology:

Ajarnmark: “I am here with Non-B”

Translation: I arrived in Thailand with a non-B visa and received permission to stay for 90 days.

Ajarnmark: “...all I have to do is to extend my visa every year”

Translation: All I have to do is apply for an extension of stay every year.

Ajarnmark: “...no visa runs, no extensions at all”

Translation: No border runs, just an application for extension of stay once a year.

--

Maestro

Yes I am, Whats so strange about it? I do not teach English, I am faculty member in a university and thus I have visa and work permit. Solid and legal.

I did not arrive in Thailand with Non-B and when I got it, yes it was for 90 days initially and yes this is also true that I get extension of stay every year.

Do we have regular and irregular (non-regular/special) Non-B visas?

I am currently a student a Walen School of Thai...

You have gone to some trouble to post this detailed first-hand report and I thank you for it, also for the following reasons:

1. Earlier, I posted that the minimum class attendance for extensions of stay is 4 hours per week, 200 hours per year, based on something I had read some time ago, and I now stand corrected: the minimum, based on your experience, is 4 hours per week, 180 hours per year.

2. I posted earlier that one needs a confirmation letter from the school for the non-Ed visa and subsequently for the extensions of stay. I stand corrected: it is a document from the Ministry of Education, which the school will get for the student.

Thejeff, while I am at it I have a question for you, seeing that the Walen school is in the Times Square Building. In January this year I studied Thai at another school in the same building – forgot its name and on what floor, but it doesn’t matter in this context – for four hours every morning, intensive course for one month. No complaints except that the temperature in the room was freezing cold and for this reason alone I would not go back there. The teacher told us that the school could do nothing about this because it was the central air-conditioning of the building. How is the temperature in your classroom?

--

Maestro

Are you sure the letter HAS to come from the ministry of education? I just got a letter and im pretty sure its just been signed by the dean of the faculty. Other studens have extended with this in the past. Is it a new regulation or does it only apply for private schools?

I am currently a student a Walen School of Thai...

You have gone to some trouble to post this detailed first-hand report and I thank you for it, also for the following reasons:

1. Earlier, I posted that the minimum class attendance for extensions of stay is 4 hours per week, 200 hours per year, based on something I had read some time ago, and I now stand corrected: the minimum, based on your experience, is 4 hours per week, 180 hours per year.

2. I posted earlier that one needs a confirmation letter from the school for the non-Ed visa and subsequently for the extensions of stay. I stand corrected: it is a document from the Ministry of Education, which the school will get for the student.

Thejeff, while I am at it I have a question for you, seeing that the Walen school is in the Times Square Building. In January this year I studied Thai at another school in the same building – forgot its name and on what floor, but it doesn't matter in this context – for four hours every morning, intensive course for one month. No complaints except that the temperature in the room was freezing cold and for this reason alone I would not go back there. The teacher told us that the school could do nothing about this because it was the central air-conditioning of the building. How is the temperature in your classroom?

--

Maestro

As far as the minimum hour requirements per week, I think there is an assumed "home study" hours element that is part of the equation. Perhaps Mac Walen can post it here. He knows the details on it. It doesn't affect the amount of classroom hours per week but somehow within the fineprint on the Non-Immigrant ED regs, the total study hours per week with combined classroom and home study come to over 4 hours. Nothing anyone really needs to worry about. Just a FYI...

There are a few language schools in the Times Square Bldg. Berlitz (they do translation work and study in various languages I believe), Pro Language and Unity are others I think....different floors.

Anyway, the A/C is controlled within Walen so we get a quick fix up or down. The vents are easily opened and closed in our classroom too. Hasn't been an issue to my knowledge.

Cheers

Are you sure the letter HAS to come from the ministry of education

A good question, but I'm afraid I don't know the answer. Let's hear from Walen or other people with first-hand knowledge. Or Lopburi knows, perhaps?

--

Maestro

Are you sure the letter HAS to come from the ministry of education? I just got a letter and im pretty sure its just been signed by the dean of the faculty. Other studens have extended with this in the past. Is it a new regulation or does it only apply for private schools?

The first documents you get once you return from getting the Non-Immigrant ED visa comes from the Ministry of Education via an application from the school. Perhaps subsequent ones for the 90-day renewal cycle may come from the school alone. This would make sense since they want to make sure you actually begin the course. Once that occurs, it's up to the school to confirm your attendence every 90 days with a letter for immigration.

I'll update with any new info or experience that comes my way.

Cheers

Sorry I forgot to say I am not at a Thai language school, I am in a degree program. Also I dont have a Non- ED, I have a Non-O. As I understand it, this doesnt affect me applying for an extension bassed on education.

Thank you, Thejeff. Unity was my school. I might stop by Walen if and when I decide to stay long-term (winter months) in Thailand and study Thai again. I shan’t need the Ed visa, as I qualify for other options, non-O with annual extension. I liked the convenience of the pedestrian bridge from the Asoke BTS station to the Times Square building, and the same to Robinsons for lunch at the food hall. Double portion of mango with single portion of sticky rice. Delicious. Haven’t tried the Italian restaurant across the street yet; a buffet lunch for 300 Baht, I believe.

--

Maestro

Aaahhh, the thread that just won't die. It's vastly preferable to give us the

facts straight away, lest like a pack of rabid Rotweiler's we run amok. :o

Why is it so difficult to spit-out the actual costs involved with this course?

Single-entry non-immigrant "ED" visa 2,000 baht. Cost for travelling to a

nearby consulate to submit application, approx. 3k baht. (3) necessary

extensions to extend the period of stay out to 360 days. 5,700 baht.

Enrollment fee for Walen school of Thai for 1 year. 29,500 baht.

All the evasiveness, and the previously incomplete wording on the website,

only creates suspicion when there probably is no reason to have any. I would

have been more impressed with an actual attempt to address the OP's concerns

rather than writing him off and then peppering us with "student" endorsements.

Am I wrong about this? I appreciate your feedback.

The OP started this thread with a bit of a rant... now he has now transformed himself into a regular guy who has been taken advantage of by the fine print...

It is interesting to look at one of his past posts from last June...

"i have also been shut out of singapore after 4 2 month tourist visas were issued. The last time they wrote a lengthy note in my passport that I should get the proper paperwork if I plan to work in Thailand. They went on to say that the Singapore office will no longer issue me a tourist visa" http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1344879

... I do not think the OP is a very sympathetic character who wishes the rest of the world to follow the rules...

Edited by sfokevin

The requirement at Royal Thai Embassy Washington for ED visa issue is:

EDUCATION (requiring the letter with the letter-head from educational institution in Thailand and a school establishment permit.

For extensions of stay the following is required for private schools (only 1,2 and 4 for government):

1. Petition Forms

2. Copy of Passport of the Applicant

3. Copy of the Institute’s educational

license issued from related

government sector.

4. Certify letter requesting for continuous

of study from that education institute

illustrating the course details and its

duration and transcript

5. Must be certified by a related

government sector or by the Provincial

Mayor which is responsible for that

education institute (exempted in the

case of studying in an international

school and undergraduate level)

I cannot comment on universities or even other private schools, just to make it clear, if you wanted to extend your visa without leaving the country we will have to organize a second letter from the MOE, without it you will not be able to extend your stay studying at our school.

Mac Walen

I think the way it works is that if the school has MOE certification then they have a stamp to authorize the letter from the school. The consulate will look at the letter from the schooland if the stamp looks official and the letter is of the correct format and wording then no problems. I just received a one year multi entry ED visa in the states with just such a letter.

Hope that helps

C'mon now, is it a Thai language school or a visa service company? The primary

marketing focus from the ad emphasis looks like selling visa services. If you

make huge guarantees on banner advertisements, shouldn't they be true?

There's a difference between loosely translating days and months in everyday

conversation, but as far as the wording of business related documents?

False advertising - the use of deliberately false statements or deception in advertising,

in order to gain a commercial advantage.

Playing fast and loose with the actual facts seems to have become a habit here. Perhaps

more appropriate wording would be "We can assist you in obtaining an "ED" visa."

...The primary marketing focus from the ad emphasis looks like selling visa services...

I believe you are talking about this banner advertisement on the web page of this forum:

walen468x60.gif

Yes, it does give the impression that a one-year visa is offered for 29,500 Baht.

--

Maestro

Specifically, I'm referring to the "1 year ED visa guarantee". No such instrument

exists? You can get a single-entry non-immigrant "ED" visa 90 days. Then if you

make 3 subsequent 90 extensions = 360 days. I understand it is a more catchy

marketing phrase and maybe within that motive is where the problem begins. :o

As a recent poster pointed out, I did have problems in Singapore and passed along those comments to fellow readers so they might possibly avoid a similar occurence. After this Singapore problem, I investigated other options and came upon Callan. I am flattered you took the time to check out my past posts! Thank you for you interest in my otherwise uneventful life.

The purpose of my original post was simply to pass along comments from myself and others who are taking the class. I stated facts and ended with "the jury is still out".

I have since apologized for my harsh remarks and poor wording and further detailed my main concern of misleading advertising with regards to the costs involved.

Mr. Walen is not a bad person and I think his heart is in the right place. He tries hard to make everyone happy and often sits in on classes himself to get direct feedback from students.

I appreciate everyone's comments. I have learned a great deal from you.

Dear cali4995,

How did you get to the conclusion that the primary marketing focus is visa service? It is not true, we would actually prefer not to assist with visas as this is very time consuming, requires preparation of a lot of paperwork and being stuck in terrible trafic jams trying to get to MOE, 4 trips for every application!!!. We assist with ED visas FREE OF CHARGE, we charge only for the lessons, so our students can enjoy studying Thai at our school without worrying about 'how to stay in the country'. Our main marketing focus is our unique method of teaching.

I invite you to come and visit us, have a cup of coffee and a chat. Perhaps you will change your negative attitude once you get to know us. The price of 29,500 is for the lessons only and if you check our website we made it very clear as there was apparently some missunderstanding earlier.

Mac Walen

Living near and walking thru Times Square every day, I've had the occasion to stop into the Walen School many times, as well as speak with Mac at length.

He has a very good idea for teaching the thai language. That version of language teaching is not a new concept in teaching english as a foreign or second language, and I have used it in the Southwestern United States teaching english to hispanics. I would imagine Mac’s method of teaching thai may initially be disheartening to someone who doesn’t know at least a little about the thai alphabet, vowels, or toning system, but the exposure to thai words, sentence structure is invaluable. As I can read most things already, I wasn't all that put off by the book. I have a large vocabulary of thai words, although being self taught speak with atrocious tones. I can say almost anything I want but am forced speak very sa-low-ly or a thai will rarely take the time to understand me.

A friend who's lived here 25+ years and who speaks with the fluency I only dream of having told me the thai language is a three legged stool, vocabulary, sentence structure and tones. Missing any one of those ‘legs’ leaves you balanced precariously. I am most definitely balancing on two legs of the stool right now language wise.

I had the chance to take a free lesson at the Walen School. During the lesson the teacher mercilessly pounded me on proper tones. She had no qualms about making me repeat a word until I got it correct. My clarity of speech on the words we covered went up quite a lot. The teacher was professional, and spoke very clearly. The only problem I had was; in learning thai from a female speaker I found myself raising the pitch of my voice to match her voice. I had to mentally remind myself to speak in my normal timbre and pitch. I know male friends who can speak thai and use a higher pitch than when they speak english and now attribute this to perhaps them learning thai from a female teacher. The lesson plan was well designed, the book a no frills lesson book, with thai words spaced out instead of run together as they normally are. It made learning compound words easier, as they are already grouped together. I felt time and effort had been put into developing both the teaching style and learning materials.

I have tried classes at more thai language schools than I care to remember; each time being forced/coerced into learning a useless transliteration system to simply get thru the lesson book. I felt it a complete waste of effort as NOTHING is EVER spelled that way here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais". I also believe that spending time at AUA's thai language course where you sit and watch two thai people interact, don't participate, and can 'magically' speak after many hundreds of hours is a waste of time to a person unfamiliar with the language basics. You will sit thru many hours of class in a coma-like stupor. You would probably do better watching thai soap operas each nite as at least they 'mime' or 'telegraph' their actions better than the AUA 'teachers' do. That being said, once you have some language skill I think AUA's method price-wise is a valuable adjunct to learning better thai language skills.

Although I am not enrolled in the Walen School (yet), FWIW I recommend it. It is my belief that speaking and reading this language will open far more doors in this country than simply speaking. The ED visa issue has been beaten to death on this post. I checked with several other thai language schools about their pricing to qualify for an ED visa versus hours of lessons given, and materials used. It seems that the Walen School offers a very competitive price. In defense of Mac’s school; they are trying to make it easier to qualify for the ED Visa, as well as provide a good quality of thai language lessons. The questions I had for Mac concerning the ED Visa, lessons, etc have always been answered clearly, quickly, and I don't think I have met a person more "pro-thai" since coming here over 3 years ago.

In my circumstances; with my third Non-O Visa expiring in December, their school works out to about the same cost as my return flight to the US to get another Non-O, even factoring in leaving the glorious “Land ‘O Thais” to get the ED Visa stamped into my passport in a neighboring country. The extension of stay on the ED Visa works out as slightly less than a visa run with most ‘farang’ oriented companies. I also get 180 hours worth of thai language lessons as well; something I wouldn't get by flying to the US, getting another Non-O and doing 90 day visa runs for the next 15 months.

Each person learns differently, some like the transliteration method (Unity, Pro Language, etc) some like AUA's method of ALG (Automatic Language Growth), some prefer to learn from their (in)-significant others or in bars.

I say to the advocates of each camp; Up-2-U

Edited by tod-daniels

The banner (already posted on this thread) say: 1 year ed visa - no visaruns required. Only 29500 baht per year.

If this is the truth it is not missleading.

However reading this whole thread it does seem like there are alot of extra costs. 1900 baht every 90 days....

When i read the banner i get the impression that anyone can pay 29 500 baht to walen and the visaproblems are solved for a year. Anyone that is a visa-expert sure understands. But the guy who just move to thailand and never heard of extensions andvisaruns may get the impression to pay the money and then its done. Id say this is pretty missleading advertising and not realy fair.

I think it would be fair that walen share the costs that come after the 29 500 with the students. And i think instead of defending the banner it would be better to change it, macwalen?

Obviosly, ment or not, many people get it wrong and get surpriced when the extra costs come. Whats the point of this?

When macwalen brings up cardealers in his defence, thats when my suspision grows about this school........... :o

Upon further analysis and after learning the actual costs involved, I've determined that your studies at Callan will cost you about 41,400 baht for the entire year. (assuming flight, hotel, and general expenses equal 4,000 baht and the intiial visa fee is 2,200 baht) plus the three payments to the immigration office in bkk of 1900 apiece.

If you opted to get a two month extendable visa every three months, the total cost for the year would be 28,500 baht (4000 X 4 + 1100 X 4 + 1900 X 4)

Therefore, total addtional cost for the Thai education is 12,900 baht (give or take based on your method of travel and expenses incurred in whatever country you choose to make your visa run).

If you really want to learn Thai, this is quite a bargain. If you don't, it is not a good deal. It is cheaper for you to make the visa runs if the time involved fits your schedule.

Another thing to consider is that I have assumed a single entry permit which means you cannot leave the country for one year without paying more. For some, myself included, this is a negative. Leaving Thailand occasionally is therapeutic for some. You also must pay the bulk (85%!!) of your fees up front for the Callan option. So interest you could have earned on that money is lost and not figured in to this calculation.

Bottom line: Study Thai with the Callan method for one year at a cost of about 1000 baht per month.

On a personal note, I will NOT be going down this path again for my visa because I don't particularly care for the Callan method. With all due respect to Mr. Walen, his advertising was misleading as well.

Good day mates.

MacWalen, the last advertisement of yours I saw in the Bangkok Post didn't even have

the word "School" or "Thai lesson" in it. The wording on the website was only corrected

after you were pressured to make it so. "For the lessons only" does not appear as fine

print on any of your ads. I'm sorry to tell you it is false advertising. Intent to mislead. :o

MacWalen, the last advertisement of yours I saw in the Bangkok Post didn't even have

the word "School" or "Thai lesson" in it. The wording on the website was only corrected

after you were pressured to make it so. "For the lessons only" does not appear as fine

print on any of your ads. I'm sorry to tell you it is false advertising. Intent to mislead. :o

True scam-artists.

What if i have a visa already and joined the "school"? I still pay 29 500? Even though i dont want you to fix me a ed-visa?

Macwalen, wake up, time to answer.

I don't know who you are but you are obviously trying to do a lot of free advertising for the WALEN SCHOOL OF THAI. I guess I should thank you for this, most readers of thaivisa.com are not children, can read and calculate and make their own conclusions. Are regards those costs of study, well, for most people it is still cheaper to study Thai and stay in the country with additional payments for extensions than worry about visa runs or obtaining new visas, counting their passport pages to see if they have enough space for yet another visa, if not enough, paying for a new passport etc. By the way how much is a new British passport for example? I just got mine, new 64 page Aussie passport and it was 8,500 Baht I think. So this is also something to consider as a part of your expenses sooner or latter. No matter what you do it will always cost you money to stay in Thailand. I am not 100% sure but i think with a tourist visa you cannot open a bank account and this is also important for some, with the ED visa you can.

With this misleading advertising you are repeating yourself over and over again thus making other readers curious and encouraging them to figure it out themselves without your help so you are really going in the opposite direction to your intended one. You would not believe the amount of e-mails we have received in the last week.

It might be hard for you to believe but actually most of our students want to learn Thai and like our method so this is a very good deal for them. But if others are not interested in Thai and like making endless visa runs and being here for years and only be able to say 'sawadee krup lee Khophun krup' no problem, they can choose.

Greetings to all, Mac Walen

Stop now. What are your chanses to get away with misleading info on this forum, filled with expats? I understand you scam the hel_l out of people that dont know anything, but here i think it would be wise to stick to somekind of truth.

1. I opened a bangkok bank account with a visa on arrival. Bank account is no reason to join walen.

2. After a year with my Thai wife teaching me 10 words every evening i speak more thai than the walen students i met. A frend of mine been a student for a year in walen and when he speaks thai my wife ask him to speak englich. She dont understand a word he say and she is born and raised in Bangkok.

I dont say nobody learns thai at your school, im sure they do, im just saying that your statement "join us or be able to say only kop kun kap" is nothing but another step in your scam-program. Stop it.

To people moving here:

There are alot of people and companies that want to take advantage of your little or none knowlede of the Thai-system, ruleas and regulations. Be aware and careful. People that say "give me your money or you wont be able to stay in Thailand, have a bankaccount..and so on" are many times scam-artists, with the only intention to make money out of you on your little knowlede.

Beleive nobody, doubble-check everything, ask around, and keep reading for instans forums like this.

MacWalen, If you are such an honest businessman, then why don't you have honest advertisements?

Can you not sell your school on its own merits? Why is it necessary to target foreigners with this

fictitious low price for a 1 year visa, and then have them painfully discover the truth later on? Everytime

you get behind that keyboard you show us how you think. "Captain bullshi_ts school of Thai"