All Thai Eat Rice Do All Farang Eat Rice Too?

Aries74

Everyday Thais eat rice or noodle, that's their main course and served with other good stuff on top.

Do all Farang here in Thailand eat rice everyday, or sometimes.

One time I had pizza with hot dog as a topping, and that did not taste too good. :D

What is you guy favorite food to eat beside rice?

:o

rice is nobodies favourite food but it's just part a staple diet - like in the west potatoes, bread, maze, soya beens, pasta or bananas in africa or south america for some.

in the balance diet you need some carbohydrates - in asia, africa and south america it's mainly rice. Thailand is one of the main producers and exporters of rice - hence it's availability and price.

because thai food is generally spicy you need some filler to make it more edible. My theory is that thai spicy cousine is a way of economising on the more expensive foods (meat, dairy, vegetables) - often it's a 2-3 big spoons of rice and 1-2 small spoons of curry or whatever else on top.

when I eat alone I order pat pak ro meet (stirr fried mix vegetables) without the rice but when eating with thai I tend to eat some what they are eating (we order a few plates and share it between) and that would amost always include rice or noodles

Put me down for plain boiled rice,please.

Unenthused by sticky !

:D Wiley Coyote

I like plain boiled rice but I lurrrrrrrrve sticky rice with some Isaan stuff to go with it. :o

Think it makes me fat though :D

Anyone like to offer an opinion as to whether 'khao neeow' is more fattening than plain old 'khao suai'?

why are carbs essential, if it's to metabalise glucose, then the body can do that from fats, advice from a doctor who contributed to the CSIRO diet book stated thats we dont need carbs.

That's a highly controversial book your talking about; it's widely disputed in the scientific community.

Personally, I actually prefer sticky rice.

thai and asians like to eat rice because it's made locally and is cheap. In some other countries the potato (superior to rice or maize - because it's not only a starch but a vegetable with vitamins and the other essential nutrients) is the main staple food. Because potato is expensive in thailand (comparing to rice or the other vegetables) not many people can efford it.

rice, in the form it's eaten for the last 100 years, without the husk, hasn't got any vitamins and minerals. In poor countries based on rice there is a risk of an illness called beri beri - which killed tens of millions. On potato you can live because it has all the nutrients.

rice, in the form it's eaten for the last 100 years, without the husk, hasn't got any vitamins and minerals. In poor countries based on rice there is a risk of an illness called beri beri - which killed tens of millions. On potato you can live because it has all the nutrients.

Thanks for the information , that's good to know.

How about noodle do you got any info on that ?

American eat more potato than rice, they still have health problems. I guess potato + junk food = potato chip

Edited by Aries74

thai noodles, the clear or very white ones, are made from rice.

But there are noodles around the world (india, china) made from wheat flour - they are yellowish. The better quality of them or home made can be done with wheat and eggs - so they would me more nutritious. They are like a pasta/spaghetti.

all fried food, especially fried for a long time, in a vegetable oil that has a lower burning temperature than animal fat, with an access of air and not in a pressure fryer is less healthy than foods prepared in the other ways. In thailand and asia food is often only stirr fried - so just softened but not burned.

the problem with an american died - people eat too much meat, sugar and fat and not enough vegetables and fruits. And they it them in excess. Match it with a little physical movement and you end up obese.

the problem with an american died - people eat too much meat, sugar and fat and not enough vegetables and fruits. And they it them in excess. Match it with a little physical movement and you end up obese.

Thank you all the good info, I gues you know a lot about food. I only eat them.

I agree with you that American have little physical movement, everwhere they goes they hop in their vechicle, may be that's why asian are skinnier, they walk all time.

I love meat tho, one time I had frog, the meat is a little tough, but it come out o.k. with all the seasoning.

rice is making me fat...

rice don't make you fat unless you eat to much of it.

Edited by Aries74

Unenthused by sticky !

I like plain boiled rice but I lurrrrrrrrve sticky rice with some Isaan stuff to go with it. :o

Anyone like to offer an opinion as to whether 'khao neeow' is more fattening than plain old 'khao suai'?

Sticky rice shouldn't be any more fattening that plain rice - it's what you eat with it that makes the difference. I usually only eat it with grilled chicken and som tam, but I do enjoy "khao neeow mamuang" together with sweetened coconut milk - that is definitely fattening.

I prefer brown rice to white rice - and it's healthier too.

Unenthused by sticky !

Sticky rice shouldn't be any more fattening that plain rice - it's what you eat with it that makes the difference. I usually only eat it with grilled chicken and som tam, but I do enjoy "khao neeow mamuang" together with sweetened coconut milk - that is definitely fattening.

sticky rice tends to fill me up more and send me to sleep ,but i prefer it .favourite way is cooked on the bbQ coated with salted butter first.

Unenthused by sticky !

Bugger ... must be the 'nam tok moo' then ... or the bottle of Chang :D

There are carbs and there are carbs.

The best carbs have low GI like wholemeal grains and brown rice.

The rice Thais eat Jasmine is particularly bad as it is very high GI.

The Thais may not be fat like the Americans or other western countries but they have very severe health problems with extremely high rates of diabetes and hypertension.

There are carbs and there are carbs.

The best carbs have low GI like wholemeal grains and brown rice.

The rice Thais eat Jasmine is particularly bad as it is very high GI.

The Thais may not be fat like the Americans or other western countries but they have very severe health problems with extremely high rates of diabetes and hypertension.

Good point, low GI is better. Usually, the less processed the carb the better.

I once bought a bag of brown rice because I thought it would be better for us. My wife cooked it ONE time. I think the rest of the bag got fed to the animals. Certain foods need sticky rice but all major meals are Jasmine rice. My wife is a great cook and if she insists on using Jasmine rice , I eat it. As long as it tastes good I don't complain. If she cooks something I don't like, I don't complain, I just don't eat it. She gets the message.

i like white rice but nutritionally there is very little point in eating it beyond sheer calories, its empty calories, pretty much junk food. unless its brown rice then thats fine.

alot of people still think rice it white, it isnt, its brown naturally and has to be processed heavily to be made white, during this process it loses all its vitamins and oils. brown rice out of interest should be refrigerated to stop essential fatty acids contained in the from turning rancid.

Edited by mart29

people were eating only the brown rice for thousands of years - only within the last 100 years it started to be polished. The receipies to prepare it are unknown in the contemporary thai kitchen.

Similar to breads in europe - after the disappearance of the brown wholemeal and rye bread after the war, for the last years it's coming back on the tables. They are more tasty and more healthy.

i like white rice but nutritionally there is very little point in eating it beyond sheer calories, its empty calories, pretty much junk food. unless its brown rice then thats fine.

alot of people still think rice it white, it isnt, its brown naturally and has to be processed heavily to be made white, during this process it loses all its vitamins and oils. brown rice out of interest should be refrigerated to stop essential fatty acids contained in the from turning rancid.

I bought a big bag of white rice which had instructions on the bag to store in the fridge, so may be common to both types of rice. Brown rice,same as brown(wholewheat)past is better tasting but takes a lot longer to cook. As a farang couple we now find we need to eat rice on a regular basis to avoid stomach problems, maybe from eating the stuff so often