Doing Business On The Internet

chavy

I was a little reluctant to go ahead with this question because I see so many adverts & get rich schemes that seem totally beleivable but suspect are 'cons' but here it goes.

Is it possible to do business over the internet without falling prey to the con artists & other hawks out there ? How do you go about starting up your own small business on the net & what are the pit falls to watch out for and the benefits to be had?

I'm not after people's business ideas but would like to know how to navigate around working on the net without falling prey.

Cheers Chavy

Over the years things have changed on the internet + the laws, so how will you promote your internet business?

Do you have 1,000s of friend that also have 1000s of friend ?

Pop ups are now blocked on most Pc’s , you can buy mailing lists = you are sending out Spam [on my yahoo account I receive around 10 emails per day + in the Spam folder is always over 400 per day !! I delete without even opening]

These days you must have a product

So you pay for an advert = monthly/yearly fees, will anyone look at you advert? Buy space in some/all the online Biz op Companies… is your name/web site one of 100’s promotion the same business? Buy web space and add to all the search engines..

Some people do make money, some make a lot, the only ones I know that do VERY well are from the Corporate world, held high ranking jobs and personally know 1,000s of people that know 1000s of other etc…

Sadly there are many that are looking to make money the easy way, time wasters, people that have no idea, people that go from one biz op to the next..

I wish you well what ever you do

Thanks for the reply ingis.

I wasn't about to jump into anything, that's why I posted to see what sort of feedback other people had found and if anyone is doing business successfully using the net, or if anyone had been 'burnt'.

I wasn't about to jump into anything, that's why I posted to see what sort of feedback other people had found and if anyone is doing business successfully using the net, or if anyone had been 'burnt'.

Sure it's easy to get burnt if you don't do your own research properly - due diligence etc.

I make an excellent income online, based in this area. I got lots of ideas and advice from this site:

http://www.Retire-Asia.com (Retire in Asia with Extra Income)

Don't fall for any of the "Get Rich" e-book packages or courses. They will tell you yesterdays good ways to make money. Information on how you make money online is free and spread all over the Internet. Especially some webmaster forums are full of good advice. If you found an area you want to work in focus on one topic and one project. Be creative when you promote it and make sure you offer real quality content and it will work. Of course before you jump on one topic do your homework and do throughout research what people are looking for and what already exists. "Keyword research" can point you in the right direction.

You might also find some good marketing guys who offer one on one couchings. That's a great way to learn if the guy that teaches is willing to tell you everything.

• 2 weeks later...

You're not going to make lots of money online just because it's the internet. You still need to be really good at something. Probably "better at something than other people" moreso than offline, since you are competing with Indians, Chinese, Japanese, Americans, Brits, Europeans and anyone else who can write English. That's going it alone mind you, plenty of people get jobs working for other people who have internet companies, which like any form of employment would provide its own job training.

Sure it's easy to get burnt if you don't do your own research properly - due diligence etc.

I make an excellent income online, based in this area. I got lots of ideas and advice from this site:

http://www.Retire-Asia.com (Retire in Asia with Extra Income)

Your site is it?

Full of those get rich quick schemes the OP does not need

I do business on the internet and can safely say I do considerably well, in fact I do very well !

It makes me laugh when I see these sites that claim they can make you rich if you "come on board", what a load of crap !!! If you stumbled upon something that was making you loads of cash why the h_ll would you give that secret away ? It seems that for as long as people do not see this simple logic there will always be sites out there hoping to attract the mutton brains !

Im thinking of putting this ad in the business section of thaivisa, tell me what you think.

......."Dear all, ive got this great thing im doing on the internet that is making me 500,000 baht a month, as I do not wish to make lots of money and only want to earn 50,000 baht and reduce myself to eating rice soup on the streets, does anyone want to come and share my secret with me ?".......

Any website that claims to be able to have the secrets to making loads of money on the internet run a mile ! If you see any send them an email, ask them why if its so successful they are not doing it themselves ?"....

The best one I have seen so far since I have been in Thailand, which wins the award for me hands down is the "buy an idea site". What a joke ! (I will try not to mention the site as it would be a little unfair). I mean, are these people for real ? When I fist seen this site I really did think it was set up as a joke, how amazed I was when I emailed them to find out that it was in actual fact real ! :D

Keep up the good work all you fly-guys with the idea and the secrets you have to share, we will always love you and remember, all the good guys go to heaven ! !! :o

I do business on the internet and can safely say I do considerably well, in fact I do very well !

It makes me laugh when I see these sites that claim they can make you rich if you "come on board", what a load of crap !!! If you stumbled upon something that was making you loads of cash why the h_ll would you give that secret away ? It seems that for as long as people do not see this simple logic there will always be sites out there hoping to attract the mutton brains !

Im thinking of putting this ad in the business section of thaivisa, tell me what you think.

......."Dear all, ive got this great thing im doing on the internet that is making me 500,000 baht a month, as I do not wish to make lots of money and only want to earn 50,000 baht and reduce myself to eating rice soup on the streets, does anyone want to come and share my secret with me ?".......

Any website that claims to be able to have the secrets to making loads of money on the internet run a mile ! If you see any send them an email, ask them why if its so successful they are not doing it themselves ?"....

The best one I have seen so far since I have been in Thailand, which wins the award for me hands down is the "buy an idea site". What a joke ! (I will try not to mention the site as it would be a little unfair). I mean, are these people for real ? When I fist seen this site I really did think it was set up as a joke, how amazed I was when I emailed them to find out that it was in actual fact real ! :D

Keep up the good work all you fly-guys with the idea and the secrets you have to share, we will always love you and remember, all the good guys go to heaven ! !! :o

If you do there's one thing for sure.....somebody will reply :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've spoken before about my online business, which usually generates a good income each month, whilst requiring the minimum of errort. The business is based on promotion of premium-charge mobile phone services, such as SMS and mobile internet content.

I've been operating this business alone for over 10 years. Some months the income is low and some it's high. I just got my statement for revenues earned in October, which is about 7,200 pounds sterling. That was earned from maybe a few hours of work, (checking that the server is running etc).

My online business still makes more money than my Phuket hotel, and the latter is doing very well also :o

Simon

Totally agree.

The main thing about any internet business is subscribers/ potential customers. You will never make a bean from all these 'get rich tomorrow' scams.

I have an internet business in the UK, which of course I do not do any work for from here, which was built up over years of hard work. It now makes enough to keep me here (I am only 35 by the way).

IMHO the ONLY way you will make money online is through a lot of hard work, building up your subscriber list. Any bu*lsh*t you see promising to make you rich will only ever end up costing you money. As will the previous poster (and probably a few more after this ).

Forget about the virual world and think real world. If I had a business opportunity in the real world that would make you millions of $$, do you really think I would sell you that idea for $49.99?

The one online benefit of living here is that Spam is not illegal, anyone remember Spam fritters in the UK?

• 1 month later...

Making money on the internet is far too easy :D if you know how to market your product you will have great success. I have my own Web Hosting Business i can say that i make more $$$ than any other regular people working 9-5 daily ... lol But i wont say how much i earn :o from this

Get rich scheme is not the way to do . Too much scams. I tried those Scheme using E-gold before yeah in the beginning it turns out good but after awhile its all gone.

Another way to earn online is thru FOREX :D But you will need to learn alot about this.

Edited by tytus

The point about my SMS business is that I actually write the software for these services. So there is some technical skill (?) which makes the business a little defensible. But as I've said, income can go up and down, (down this month!). My biggest problems are thinking of new services to run and then promotion of them.

My latest idea is to operate an SMS service in Thailand for Thais who want to practice their English/learn new English words etc. I've written the application software for this service, (which uses both Thai and English scripts), so just need to launch and promote it (major task!!)

Simon

Edited by simon43

• 5 weeks later...
I was a little reluctant to go ahead with this question because I see so many adverts & get rich schemes that seem totally beleivable but suspect are 'cons' but here it goes.

Is it possible to do business over the internet without falling prey to the con artists & other hawks out there ? How do you go about starting up your own small business on the net & what are the pit falls to watch out for and the benefits to be had?

I'm not after people's business ideas but would like to know how to navigate around working on the net without falling prey.

Cheers Chavy

You will never really make money overnight on the Internet. Like any bricks and mortar business it does take time. How much you put into it also pays. Here I am talking about time. Think of what it is that you like first off, then work around that looking for an income stream. There are loads of income streams other than pop-ups. Making money on the Internet is a numbers game, and in order to make the numbers grow takes time.