BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
tayto

Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

Was the border closed though? That's what the guy wants to know.

I assume if he made it to the tourist market the border was open. I'm heading up on Tuesday, I hope the water will drop by then. I don't want to walk through ankle deep water in an area with questionable sanitation and plumbing.

There was film of flooding in the area on the TV last night but the border is apparently open.

So instead of taking the songthaew or motorbike to the border you now go from the pier in a longtail. Arr mateys!

Just wondered if any updates on the flooding? sceadugenga kindly directed me to this thread after replying that the roads should be ok if on the superhighway route. Plan to take a bus from CM up to the border this coming Sunday. Weather forecast doesnt look too good tho. How bad does it get?

the Mae Sai border will remain open, come hel_l or high water.

...unlless, of course, there's a tiff between Thai and Burmese honchos - then loss of face will force a closure - but that hasn't happened for several years.

...unlless, of course, there's a tiff between Thai and Burmese honchos - then loss of face will force a closure - but that hasn't happened for several years.

Apologise for going out of topic here, but I am in a spot bcos I can't find bookable accomodation for Mae Sai on the net. Will be there Nov 13th as part of a drive from Chiang Mai to Golden Triangle and Chiangrai with a half day visit to Tachilek. Are there any decent hotels or guest houses in Mae Sai. Do they accept telephone reservations? Or any reservations, for that matter. Thanks for any help to a lost soul. Cheers.

Apologise for going out of topic here, but I am in a spot bcos I can't find bookable accomodation for Mae Sai on the net. Will be there Nov 13th as part of a drive from Chiang Mai to Golden Triangle and Chiangrai with a half day visit to Tachilek. Are there any decent hotels or guest houses in Mae Sai. Do they accept telephone reservations? Or any reservations, for that matter. Thanks for any help to a lost soul. Cheers.

Mae Sai, for better or worse, is still ten to forty years behind the times. For getting hotel room, the best is to just show up.

There are always rooms available there. The top end place is just before the bridge on the right side. Some low end places can be found along the road which runs parallel to the river - upriver (west) from the bridge.

Mae Sai, for better or worse, is still ten to forty years behind the times. For getting hotel room, the best is to just show up.

There are always rooms available there. The top end place is just before the bridge on the right side. Some low end places can be found along the road which runs parallel to the river - upriver (west) from the bridge.

Thanks for the advice. Likely to show up at Wang Thong near the bridge to Tachilek. Got a booking site, Asiarooms.com with rates like 1000B per night for a double room air-conditioned/twin beds. Must say even the reviews posted on the site for WT were unenthusiastic. Cheers!

I couldn't imagine a better pub to sling your hook.

It's right in the middle of town with great shopping in every direction.

Please give us a review of the hotel when you leave.

Sawadee Kup , welcome to never - never land, I hope you enjoy your travels it is a fascinating part of the world. I live in Chiang Mai for 2 years now and get to Mae Sai 3 - 4 times a year for shopping across the border in Burma. I found a nice place to stay called " S- House"

it is in a terrific location 5 minute walk to border. They have an Email

s_house43234@yahoo.com. or telephone when you get here. 0-53731768, this is from the business card. I never made reservations

The address is : 384 Moo SailomjoyRoad, Mai Sai. The rooms are very clean and have a/c and nice balcony view to enjoy the sunset and a Heineken : -) The location is on the left of the border Xing in the covered market stalls about 200 meters. Price was 400 Baht my last time. Chok Dee, PJ

Sawadee Kup , welcome to never - never land, I hope you enjoy your travels it is a fascinating part of the world. I live in Chiang Mai for 2 years now and get to Mae Sai 3 - 4 times a year for shopping across the border in Burma. I found a nice place to stay called " S- House"

it is in a terrific location 5 minute walk to border. They have an Email

s_house43234@yahoo.com. or telephone when you get here. 0-53731768, this is from the business card. I never made reservations

The address is : 384 Moo SailomjoyRoad, Mai Sai. The rooms are very clean and have a/c and nice balcony view to enjoy the sunset and a Heineken : -) The location is on the left of the border Xing in the covered market stalls about 200 meters. Price was 400 Baht my last time. Chok Dee, PJ

Sorry to trump in on your travel plans but I feel you will miss a special event here in Chiang Mai if you leave on the 12th of November. Chiang Mai is famous for its Loy Krathong Festival Nov 13 - 15 this year. To me it is the event of the year that I wait for. 3 nites of parades of 30 flower floats down the main street to the river. Thousands of Sky lanterns fill the nite sky and the river is covered with Krathongs, "floating candles". Fireworks every nite, A once in a lifetime thing to enjoy. Hope this helps. PJ

Tachilek tourist market was inundated - all except the uppermost alley parallel to the main road. 1 foot of water also in front of MaeKong hotel there.

Lots of rain here in CR yesterday and today.

How is the water level at the Tachilek market at the moment ?

I'm planning to go there tomorrow; need a swimsuit ?

Thanks

YB

I'll be there myself so we can swim across together.

Not sure if I need to go to Burma though, my business is at the main Immigration office as far as I can tell.

Just got back, quickest trip ever.

Only went to the main office but Mai Sae had no water lying around in the streets at all.

Got visa extension very quickly on payment of 1900B, there was no one else in the waiting area or came in while I was there.

Excellent service and advice in English on other types of visas was offered.

Possibly twenty minutes turnaround including going outside to get photocopies made of passport.