Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

tayto

• 2 weeks later...

Did the 90 day thing at Mae Sai Today. LOTS of new faces in that office and only one of the older hands was there.

When I arrived, I stopped by my truck to have a smoke before going in. Another truck pulled in next to mine and a Thai dude got out. He looked familiar. I asked if we had met before. He was sure we hadn't. He works in that office now, having just transferred in from somewhere else after 15 years on the job. We visited for about twenty minutes, shook hands and went our way. When I filled out my 90 day report, he just came over, took it from me, along with my passport, and took care of it, in about three minutes. Nice guy. It just gets better and better over there.

So what does the "guide" include brahmburgers?

Does he come with transport or does his fare and accomodation have to be paid as well?

I wonder if he would be susceptible to a little "go away" money?

pay some tea money bro..that's how they make their $$. just imagine their earning is less than 100 usd officially :whistling:

I spoke about it with one of the Burmese guides. His name is 'Slim' (and speaks English better than any of the 30 or so Thai nationals I've met, who teach English). He's not an official guide, but he would qualify. his tel# 0873056754.

My understanding is, whomever is designated to the be guide, would have to formally sign in at the tiny tourist office in Tachilek (next to the entry office at the NE corner of the bridge). When I mentioned to Slim my intention to bicycle down a long a hill from Keng Tung, and also of possibly taking a float down a river, he smiled and said he wouldn't be allowed to enable me to do that if he was my designated guide. I wouldn't want to get him, or anyone else in trouble. So now, when I think of doing some fun outdoor things, I think of places outside of Shan State.

The long paranoid arm of the Burmese Junta cares about only one thing: to maintain their death grip on power. The junta actually outlaws the sale of KY jelly (a Burmese pharmacist told me). How micromanaging psycho is that? There must be thousands of petty little things they outlaw. The mind reels at the thought of their far-reaching paranoia and insistence on absolute control.

So what does the "guide" include brahmburgers?

Does he come with transport or does his fare and accomodation have to be paid as well?

I wonder if he would be susceptible to a little "go away" money?

pay some tea money bro..that's how they make their $$. just imagine their earning is less than 100 usd officially :whistling:

I spoke about it with one of the Burmese guides. His name is 'Slim' (and speaks English better than any of the 30 or so Thai nationals I've met, who teach English). He's not an official guide, but he would qualify. his tel# 0873056754.

My understanding is, whomever is designated to the be guide, would have to formally sign in at the tiny tourist office in Tachilek (next to the entry office at the NE corner of the bridge). When I mentioned to Slim my intention to bicycle down a long a hill from Keng Tung, and also of possibly taking a float down a river, he smiled and said he wouldn't be allowed to enable me to do that if he was my designated guide. I wouldn't want to get him, or anyone else in trouble. So now, when I think of doing some fun outdoor things, I think of places outside of Shan State.

The long paranoid arm of the Burmese Junta cares about only one thing: to maintain their death grip on power. The junta actually outlaws the sale of KY jelly (a Burmese pharmacist told me). How micromanaging psycho is that? There must be thousands of petty little things they outlaw. The mind reels at the thought of their far-reaching paranoia and insistence on absolute control.

Don`t worry Brahms, I`m sure you can get your supply of KY Jelly or an alternative brand in Thailand.

Good luck with that.

Cheers,

Your old mate,

C35B.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the 90 day thing at Mae Sai Today. LOTS of new faces in that office and only one of the older hands was there.

When I arrived, I stopped by my truck to have a smoke before going in. Another truck pulled in next to mine and a Thai dude got out. He looked familiar. I asked if we had met before. He was sure we hadn't. He works in that office now, having just transferred in from somewhere else after 15 years on the job. We visited for about twenty minutes, shook hands and went our way. When I filled out my 90 day report, he just came over, took it from me, along with my passport, and took care of it, in about three minutes. Nice guy. It just gets better and better over there.

I did a 90 day report yesterday.

9 days early, but no problem.

They have a Young guy in there doing the 90 day reporting thing. I guess he's in his 20's. I don't know if he was a student or the new generation of officials. He couldn't try hard enough to assist people. He hovered around while a couple of people were filling in the forms to give assistance. Very pleasant experience , no Hostility or anything. very efficient.

Roll on the next generation

Hi all

Making plans to go do the second entry of my tourist visa next month at Mae Sai.

Is below still the case and are they accepting US bucks?

Also interested in cheap accommodation in Mae Sai, have been told King Cobra Inn, would welcome any suggestions thanks.

Please note Thai partners now need to go to the Thai government office (2.5km from bridge) to get their daily pass for Baht 30 on production of ID card - this is NO LONGER issued at the Bridge - reason given was sheer volume ot Thais queuing up

Hi all

Making plans to go do the second entry of my tourist visa next month at Mae Sai.

Is below still the case and are they accepting US bucks?

Also interested in cheap accommodation in Mae Sai, have been told King Cobra Inn, would welcome any suggestions thanks.

Please note Thai partners now need to go to the Thai government office (2.5km from bridge) to get their daily pass for Baht 30 on production of ID card - this is NO LONGER issued at the Bridge - reason given was sheer volume of Thais queuing up

Yes the quote is correct and no they have not taken dollars the last two times I have crossed over.

I did the Mai Sai crossing yesterday.

Got U.S. $ at the Kruig ? Bank .Saved about 30% over paying in thbt in Burma imigration

The Thai Officials were excellent both ways offering info on my 3 entry tourist visa.The Burmese side were the usual gangsters which they are!

I've never seen things so dead on both sides.On the Burmese side in particular there were hardly anyone there. It had to be bad for me to feel bad for the touts! The stores staff by far outnumbered the total # of people there.

I'm not sure if it is the case but anyone with $ for a shop inTechieck ,likely got the $ by being deeply in there sick system so TOOO BAD things are bad, although as usual it is the little man who suffers the most!

Marcgee

I suppose that if you're on a type of visa, that requires you to leave the country every three months you may as well take advantage of the bargains.

I used to find spirits quite a bit cheaper and the DVDs were a third of the price in Chiang Rai.

No SD I have a retirement visa, never tried to cross the bordert... I am too chicken, really don't know what is the best way and how.

I suppose that if you're on a type of visa, that requires you to leave the country every three months you may as well take advantage of the bargains.

I used to find spirits quite a bit cheaper and the DVDs were a third of the price in Chiang Rai.

No SD I have a retirement visa, never tried to cross the bordert... I am too chicken, really don't know what is the best way and how.

Easy stuff, cmj. Next time you're going, give me a heads up and maybe I can meet you there and walk you through it. It truly is as easy as the guys who have posted here before says it is. Just don't ask ANY questions about it at immigration. They will make it happen for you but it costs 1,000 baht and up if you use them and that does not include the Burma fee.

And if you shop around for expensive alcohol, one purchase alone can make up for the 500 baht Burma fee. DVD's seem to run three for two hundred baht. Good savings there, too, as Scea said.

I've found that most dvd's are around 25 Baht,

and if you like box sets, they're usually 20 Baht

or less.

So on a box set of the Sopranos or Shield for

example , you will more than save the 500 Baht.

Especially with dvd's selling in CR for 150 Baht.

They also they have a few different brands of beer that

I haven't seen locally.

Regards

Will

• 2 months later...

Elections yes but where did you hear the border was closing ??

UPDATE : Channel 3 Thai News states the Election will be tomorrow and the Myanmar Junta has

ordered the borders to the country to be closed. I cannot confirm if any borders will be open but if what is stated on the Thai news is correct then I expect all will be closed , possibly for 24hrs.

I did a trip to Mae Sae today , the border was open but very very busy with people and cars LEAVING Myanmar. The process of leaving Thailand was easy , as was getting the Myanmar stamp , with the Myanmar Immigration staff as polite as usual .

I didnt venture into Tchilek for shopping this trip due to the amount of people about.

No problems seen.