Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

tayto

Quick trip over the border today, no problems at any stage.

The copy iPad2s looked interesting at 2400B.

Scea, next time you cross the border can you buy one for me? I am really too chicken to cross the border :huh:

Could be a while cmj, I don't really need to do it for visa purposes so I now just cross when I want to do something on the other side.

Even my quest for the illicit DVDs has tapered off since I mastered the art of torrent sites.

There's nothing to be afraid of, just take a couple of copies of your passport main page and give them to the nice lady at immigration with 100B and she will send you across the border and no one will ever know you have been there.

They could well turn out to be a piece of <deleted> anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

They used to be a lady with a jewellery stall out the front of the bank near border immigration who would sell them.

I haven't seen her for a while but then I haven't really looked either.

She was there last month. Her exchange rates aren't on par with banks/licensed money changers but it was Sunday and I had no other options other than Bt500 to Myanmar.

I'd say no risk at all. I've seen far heavier rain than what we've had and carparks on both sides of the bridge under water but still plenty of space between the bridge and the river.

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally the border is closed because of high water. I think the last time was four years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

As it happens, the myanmar side ( tachilek) has been flooded only once this year, to the extent of total flooding of the market . Foot boards were put out so to keep people walking around . The flood was quite extensive , covering both sides of the border, flooding a few places including some restaurants directly on the overflowing river on the Thai side of Mae Sai.

Within a day or so all was back to normal on both sides.

As for currency, 2 tourists tried to pay with used $10 bills and were refused by th Myanmar immigrartion office ,they demanded Thai baht but when a crisp $20 bill to cover them both was shown, it was accepted.

Do youself a favour, take a 500 bht note and just pay it, theres no hassle , no bank charges and no crap from Myanmar immigration tourist authority.

As it happens, the myanmar side ( tachilek) has been flooded only once this year, to the extent of total flooding of the market . Foot boards were put out so to keep people walking around . The flood was quite extensive , covering both sides of the border, flooding a few places including some restaurants directly on the overflowing river on the Thai side of Mae Sai.

As for currency, 2 tourists tried to pay with used $10 bills and were refused by th Myanmar immigrartion office ,they demanded Thai baht but when a crisp $20 bill to cover them both was shown, it was accepted.

Do youself a favour, take a 500 bht note and just pay it, theres no hassle , no bank charges and no crap from Myanmar immigration tourist authority.

Came out of retirement eh?. As usual extensive information based on??????? Personal experience or not SHS??????

As my wife has relatives north of the border, I do too - although I've not met most of them, I have met some.

We communicate mostly thru my wife's translation, but I believe it when I'm told of miserable things they've been forced to do.

I also believe it about the filthy rich young speed merchants living in towns of the barely clothed poor.

Want me to go on? I've nothing particularly new to present - things have been this way for decades.

and,well, when I've presented material here before, what did I get? a lot of hatred.

want to explain that to me?

Made a run to a rather damp MaeSai today.

Never crossed the border but the bridge was busy.

A lot of cleaning up going on with the river front carparks closed and it looked like business as usual was about to commence when heavy rain fell as we were about to leave.

Immigration will definitely be open and the only inconvenience would be finding a park in a secure area.

Nothing that a dry day or two won't fix.

Why give the government of Myanmar the extra Bt200? :blink: Pay in $

The probelm is the immigration office in Myanmar. Many times they refuse to take dollars. The sign stating we could

pay in dollars was removed from the wall in the office ages ago. Those tourists I have seen trying to pay in dollars

have been turned down as the immigration office demanded Thai baht. Anotehr occassion on a 20$ note was accepted. Old dollar notes or those with any marks on them or tears are turned down flat. I just prefer to not make a fuss.

Could be a while cmj, I don't really need to do it for visa purposes so I now just cross when I want to do something on the other side.

Even my quest for the illicit DVDs has tapered off since I mastered the art of torrent sites.

There's nothing to be afraid of, just take a couple of copies of your passport main page and give them to the nice lady at immigration with 100B and she will send you across the border and no one will ever know you have been there.

They could well turn out to be a piece of <deleted> anyway.

Well today someeone wrote they are fantastic so... if you Or somebody else cross the border in next future, please bring one for me.

• 2 weeks later...

In Tachilek writing this. Internet here used to block Bkk's 2 major eng.lang newspapers. Now they're accessible.

At border, authorities took my $10 with nary a 2nd glance, so maybe they're less anal retentive about having perfect paper bills from Uncle Sam.

As always, Tachilek is a welcome relief (for me) from Thailand, even if I'm only here a short while.

A couple years ago I did a trip to Cheng Tung in Shan State (2/3 the way north from the Thai border to the Chinese border). I made the mistake, at the time, of mentioning a very nice g.h. there, and the ease at which I could rent a motorbike and travel where I wanted. Right after that, the g.h. was closed and travel to and around CT became much restricted by the Burmese gov't. Possibly in response to my irresponsible post here on T.Visa (using Brahmburgers). I now hear through the grapevine that the owners of the g.h. I was praising 'hate farang.' I hope I didn't play a part in their gh being closed, and if so, am deeply chagrined. It's a reflection of the Burmese junta' way of thinking, that they could get so paranoid about positive publicity (for a g.h.) , as to take action to make things tougher for tourists and the shut down the gh itself.

In Tachilek writing this. Internet here used to block Bkk's 2 major eng.lang newspapers. Now they're accessible.

At border, authorities took my $10 with nary a 2nd glance, so maybe they're less anal retentive about having perfect paper bills from Uncle Sam.

As always, Tachilek is a welcome relief (for me) from Thailand, even if I'm only here a short while.

A couple years ago I did a trip to Cheng Tung in Shan State (2/3 the way north from the Thai border to the Chinese border). I made the mistake, at the time, of mentioning a very nice g.h. there, and the ease at which I could rent a motorbike and travel where I wanted. Right after that, the g.h. was closed and travel to and around CT became much restricted by the Burmese gov't. Possibly in response to my irresponsible post here on T.Visa (using Brahmburgers). I now hear through the grapevine that the owners of the g.h. I was praising 'hate farang.' I hope I didn't play a part in their gh being closed, and if so, am deeply chagrined. It's a reflection of the Burmese junta' way of thinking, that they could get so paranoid about positive publicity (for a g.h.) , as to take action to make things tougher for tourists and the shut down the gh itself.

I hope they dont close Tachilek , seeing as you mentioned there as well. :D

Two friends crossed last week, accompanied by me, and the Myanmar immigration officer refused their $20 note (they were a couple) with barely a glance at it.

I went yesterday and noticed that the sign that said $10 usd or 500 baht" was gone. But when i got to the Burma immigration room i handed him my passport with a nice crisp $10 USD....not a word of protest, just took it, smiled and I was in and out in couple of minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Mae Sai Immigration ladies and gentlemen were out in force at Central Plaza yesterday. They are trialing a 'remote' office set-up in Central on the ground floor on the first Saturday of each month. You can go along and do your 90 days renewals, your re-entry permits etc. I don't think -at this stage -you can do your actual annual Retirement visa -( someone tell me if I'm wrong, please!) but that may happen if the whole thing proves a success.

It was being well- supported yesterday - and they were giving out drinks and sandwiches and leaflets. If anyone has any more information, please post.

Mae Sai Immigration ladies and gentlemen were out in force at Central Plaza yesterday. They are trialing a 'remote' office set-up in Central on the ground floor on the first Saturday of each month. You can go along and do your 90 days renewals, your re-entry permits etc. I don't think -at this stage -you can do your actual annual Retirement visa -( someone tell me if I'm wrong, please!) but that may happen if the whole thing proves a success.

It was being well- supported yesterday - and they were giving out drinks and sandwiches and leaflets. If anyone has any more information, please post.

I did hear that this was hapening but didnt know where within the plaza or when. Good news for may , at least it saves the trip to the Mae Sai office. Do they do a 14 day stamp - I wish.

lol.

Edited by sunholidaysun1