Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

tayto

Was in Mae Sai yesterday to complete my retirement visa NON O as written on the stamp in passport. Also paid 200bt for an address certificate for my DL. I have been to this immigration office a number of times and it certainly has never heard the saying "land of smiles". Don't get me wrong, they are very quick and will speak english if you keep the wife away from them. One thing noted by them is they suggested I get a new passport because the one I have was accidently run through the wash machine. Most old stamps are still legible and it is of couse very clean :rolleyes: . The male that did my final stamp yesterday was very clear on the 90 day reporting which I appreciated. Only a few people there in the AM and service was as I said excellent and VERY professional with no smile. Cost 2000 bt. Used the annual income letter from Canadian Consulate CM. My next question would be if an address book, I think green is issued by request?

Crossed into Tachilek today on the VIP pass... no hassles, no stamps.

New liquor store seems to have appeared since my last visit somewhat surprisingly being watched over by a senior Thai police officer in full uniform. B)

Or maybe his mia noi worked there and he'd just dropped in to say hello. <_<

Edited by sceadugenga

Today was about the 8th time I went to Mae Sai for a visarun and it was the most terrible run I have had.

Maybe because it was on a weekend day, it was so crowded that the walking paths at the market were congested. It was also the first time they didn't want a 10 USD bill but 500 baht. I couldn't convince him by telling I was going to shop. The man was very grumpy and asked if I was going to stay the night in Tachilek, I said "No". He said:" Then you must pay 500 baht"

Maybe because (political) things have changed in Myan Mar, or maybe I was relatively late (2.30) and he didn't believe me I was going to shop, but I couldn't persuade him with my charmes which usually works at the Myan Mar border...555 biggrin.gif

I didn't even know that staying in Tachilek was allowed.

Today was about the 8th time I went to Mae Sai for a visarun and it was the most terrible run I have had.

Maybe because it was on a weekend day, it was so crowded that the walking paths at the market were congested. It was also the first time they didn't want a 10 USD bill but 500 baht. I couldn't convince him by telling I was going to shop. The man was very grumpy and asked if I was going to stay the night in Tachilek, I said "No". He said:" Then you must pay 500 baht"

Maybe because (political) things have changed in Myan Mar, or maybe I was relatively late (2.30) and he didn't believe me I was going to shop, but I couldn't persuade him with my charmes which usually works at the Myan Mar border...555 biggrin.gif

I didn't even know that staying in Tachilek was allowed.

You can stay up to 15 days. You need to tell them otherwise you will only get the same day visa.

the main road in Tachilek, going east west, is getting dumpier by the day. They're starting work on it at the 'Friendship Bridge' (btw, all bridges crossing btwn Thailand and another country are called 'Friendship Bridge' - It's as though they can't think of any other name for a bridge). Slow going on the road fix, though. One day they lay some gravel mixed with dirt, two weeks later they come back and look at it, and decide perhaps they'll schedule some tarmac - sometime in the future.

even so, they've got better 'sidewalk food' in Burma than in Thailand, in my estimation. Though if you can't find a restaurant off the main stretch of road (difficult to do), then you're inevitably assaulted by the awful noise of Chinese trucks barreling up and down. Imagine a badly tuned 1930's motor (missing on half its cylinders) put in a truck with every rivet loosened, plus no muffler, and you get the idea....

I must be a masochist, cause I still prefer hanging out in dusty noisy Tachilek than hanging in Thai towns. Their fruit selections are preferable also, plus they have avocados - big ones for cheap (30 or 40 baht/kilo), not the small imported avos you might find in a Thai superstore for 60 baht each..

Edited by maidu

my wife says there's a hilltribe arts and crafts festival going on there right now - she was there yesterday.

I visited Immigration this morning to verify that I didn't have to visit them (nevermind, things get confusing, better safe than sorry; I'd neglected an appointment as I'd gone to the US)...

anyway, she said it's near the golf course and airport, which must mean Tachilek (she makes no MaiSai/Tachilek distinction).

also said it's dusty, dirty and expensive, but with some good stuff.

If the fair is near the airport and the golf course (I only know of the main one g.c. north of town) then that's quite a stretch of property - about 25 Km, so there needs to be some qualification of those directions. I was in Tlk for 2 nights a few days ago, and there was a place about 5 Km east of the bridge where it looked like a lot going on, but it was too many bright lights and too loud music, so I didn't check it out. I just assumed it was a bunch of little gambling venues, as one finds with most fairs in Tachilek.

BTW, why can't Thais make kanom wan (pastries) worth a darn? In Tachilek, there are a few types that are quite simple and good, without trying to be like expensive European pastries (with gobs of whipped cream, chocolate, candied berries, etc). There's a type only seen in Burma which is the size of a small slice of pizza, though it's filling is tamarind mixed with peanut, and its crust is sweet oily dough. A good deal at 5 baht each. In Tachilek, one can also find what the Spanish call churros, which are simply fried dough, toothpaste tube sized. A nice simple treat for dipping in coffee or tea, and just a few baht also. Ok, now that I think about it, Thais have those also, though they're shaped like chromosomes.

If the fair is near the airport and the golf course (I only know of the main one g.c. north of town) then that's quite a stretch of property - about 25 Km, so there needs to be some qualification of those directions. I was in Tlk for 2 nights a few days ago, and there was a place about 5 Km east of the bridge where it looked like a lot going on, but it was too many bright lights and too loud music, so I didn't check it out. I just assumed it was a bunch of little gambling venues, as one finds with most fairs in Tachilek.

BTW, why can't Thais make kanom wan (pastries) worth a darn? In Tachilek, there are a few types that are quite simple and good, without trying to be like expensive European pastries (with gobs of whipped cream, chocolate, candied berries, etc). There's a type only seen in Burma which is the size of a small slice of pizza, though it's filling is tamarind mixed with peanut, and its crust is sweet oily dough. A good deal at 5 baht each. In Tachilek, one can also find what the Spanish call churros, which are simply fried dough, toothpaste tube sized. A nice simple treat for dipping in coffee or tea, and just a few baht also. Ok, now that I think about it, Thais have those also, though they're shaped like chromosomes.

It is still possible to find good desserts in Thai but you have to look around a lot or have some local knowledge. Mainly they are made by elderly women. Young people are not interested in doing it. A lot of work for little return. So soon there may be none left.One good place is to go about 300 yards straight out from the Lampang train station. Only open in the evening.Nan has 1 vendor around the corner from the Sukasem Hotel. She turns up about 8PM. In CR have only found it at special event markets.

Yes, there's oppression and worse still going on in Burma, but I don't see it as a reason not to visit.

The dollars a tourist spends in Burma usually go to the little people - or at least they do in my transactions. So if I buy a bag of avos or a shirt, the money given to that vendor will probably circulate thru the street level economy a few dozen times before it winds up in a bank.

Outside visitors also contributes to the exchange of ideas and salutations.

3 easy questions

Is there any info to suggest the border won't be open on Sunday 1 January? I expect it to be open and really busy.

Where does a Thai with an ID card and passport go to get a border pass?

What is a VIP card?

A VIP pass is a temporary entry to Burma that doesn't involve using you passport.

Present your passport to Thai immigration with 2 photocopies of the main page and 100B.

They keep your passport and you pick it up when you come back.

Not sure where Thais go for a pass now, it used to be to the left of the border post.

A VIP pass is a temporary entry to Burma that doesn't involve using you passport.

Present your passport to Thai immigration with 2 photocopies of the main page and 100B.

Not sure where Thais go for a pass now, it used to be to the left of the border post.

Thais go to a place just south of immigration on the same side of the road.:jap:

The VIP pass doesn't allow for an overnight stay.

It's allowable for Americans, but not sure about Brits and other nationalities. Better to check ahead.

You'll need two photocopies of your passport's main page only. You can get the copies at a shop just to the left of the Thai-side Imm office at the bridge. If using this method, be sure to tell them clearly at the Thai imm office that you don't want a stamp in your passport (as you hand the officer your passport and photocopies). Otherwise, they'll perfunctorily put a stamp in it, and it can't be undone. If using this mode, you have to pay the Bt.500 on the Burmese side. $10 won't work.

Well I can personally vouch that it is available to Australians although it would be understandable if the British weren't included. cool.png

Agreed I would not like to attempt to stay over night using it if only because I don't like being parted from my passport that long.

It's ideal for people making a day trip shopping or showing visitors the sights who don't really want four more stamps in their passport.

Edit: I've never told them not to stamp my passport and they never have in what must be over a dozen crossings on the VIP system.

I could imagine it happening though so I won't argue with you.

Edited by sceadugenga

Good times over?

I heard that the regulations concerning the amount of liquids and

other goods that can be brought from Burma are taken very serious

nowadays by the gentlemen who's task it is to implement them.

Unsuspectingly our highly respected friend Mr. A. returned to the

Thai side of the border last week and this in the company of a tray

containing twelve Bavaria's (Dutch Premium beer).

He was informed that he was allowed to import only six of them

and was invited to give the other six to the uniformed gentleman

himself.

The good man clearly didn't know who he was talking to and therefore

didn't realize that he was on a mission impossible: beers fall for Mr. A.

in the same category as blue suede shoes did for Elvis Presley.

He started to drink them on the spot and it was not until he was going

to open can number four, that the industrious law servant gave up and

waved him trough.

It might of course have been a temporary thing related to the

New Year celebrations ...

Did anybody else notice something unusual lately?

Limbo neus.gif

• Like 1

I brought a bottle of Scotch and two of red wine in last month and took it into Thailand without any problems.

There's a new shop in Tachilek with quite a good selection.

Surprisingly it seemed to be under the supervision of a uniformed senior Thai police officer. smile.png

Any one know Is the Mae Sai/Tachilek Border open for Business as normal ?? ( as it gets here )

Planning on a Visa Run for Thursday , January 12 / 2012

I heard a Rumor it was closed .coffee1.gif

Any Current help would be appreciated as always clap2.gif wai.gif

Cheers in the New Year , and keep them wheels on the ground..passifier.gif

I hope this is the right place for a visa question. To try to simplify it, I will start with the situation as it exists, with enough background to set it out sufficiently, I hope.

Starting from a Retirement Extension, gotten at Mae Sai and stamped to end late last year; I had to go to the States for an operation, and could not return until after it expired. I tried to apply to extend it again before I left, but the man at the window next to the front door said that my departure was too early and they would not extend it - but at this time he was very nice and said "no problem, we know you, so just come back in on a 30 day Visa on Arrival and we will stamp a Retirement Extension back in for you whenever you get back.

Quite frankly, this sounded incredible to me, but I tried to tell myself they were going to credit me with the unused time on the R/E. I asked again, to be sure of what I thought I heard, this time with the girl at the next window having come over and joining in, ...and with my Landlady standing there with me helping me with the language. Both assured us again that they would do this for me and that I did not need to bring another Non-Imm 0, but would need to go to Chiang Mai for an Income Affadavit. On this basis I went to the States, had the operation, did not go get a Non-Imm O, and returned to this same man when I got back (after my stamped Retirement Extension had expired of course), ...but with the 30 day Visa on Arrival stamped in my Passport, and with the Income Affadavit in hand.

Sure enough and as I feared they would, both of the officers denied telling me what they did, even after my landlady went to The Superintendent and assured her she herself had heard what they had promised. Since I had never expected them to do as they said they would in the first place, I just asked what I must do now. They said I must go right then, across the border and return back to that office. This I did, getting 15 days stamped in my Passport. In reality the net gain from the 30 day VOA was only 5 days.

I then returned to their office as they had directed, whereupon they charged me 2,000 baht, had me fill out the form with the picture (only one of each) and told me to return a few days later on the 9th of January (which is now tomorrow). When I asked what the 2,000 baht was for they said it was "for a new Non-Imm O visa". They told me that when I returned on the 9th they would then issue me a 90 day Permission to Stay, and that when I came back in the last 30 days of that, they would then issue me a one year Retirement Extension and stamp into in my Passport. Further, they said I would not need to go again to CM for another Income Affidavit. The man then stapled a piece of paper in my Passport which had a stamp reading "Application of Stay is under consideration of the Immigration Bureau. Applicant must contact this office again on 9 Jan 2012." My full name was written on this paper and it was signed by that same man.

To make matters worse, I got a call the next day telling me I walked out without paying the 2,000 baht. It made no difference that I told them I certainly did pay it and that I had their receipt in hand, which showed it. I began to finally after 7+ years, see handwriting on the wall that these people truly do not want foreigners and may be harassing me into leaving. Later my landlady called the Superintendent, who said to just forget about coming back and paying again. This was not the first time this office has tried (and indeed have done so!) to shake me down in this same way. And me always maintaining a smile and Wying all around, as expected.

This is where things stand now, and at this point I am at an utter loss and cannot understand any of this except to make it hard on me, and wonder just what else they will do to me, or require of me down the line. Does anyone understand these things, and what do any of you make of this?? The game seems to change every time I go to a Thai Immigration anywhere in Thailand, and from my experiences it is getting progressively harder to be an Expat in Thailand, - and I am wondering if I should be thinking of pulling up stakes and trying the Philippines maybe, or someplace else. But for me that would be a bitter pill - and for my Landlady as well, for compelling reasons too numerous to go into here.

Any and all helpful replies would be appreciated. (I'll post again when I get back from Mae Sai, and tell what happened).

Thanks

I noticed several times that the staff of the Immigration Office in Mae Sai is very helpfull in

finding solutions for problems that foreigners have because of special circumstances, even

in those cases when foreigners more or less have to blame themselves..

You left the Kingdom too early and you were back too late.

They have, as they promised, been so kind to find a solution for your problem within existing

regulations.

Don't worry too much and if you read this before you leave: Good luck and have a nice trip!

Looking forward to your feedback.

Limbo neus.gif