Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

tayto

Hi!

Very smooth. Tachilek was really packed at sunday (30-12-12) because of the majority of Thai inside (buying drinks for new year) the process for the visa went very fast. Also bought some duty free beer and wine wich is not the best quality but acceptable. Fee is still 500 baht, process is still the same. The paper for my girlfriend was very easy to obtain at the Amphoe office, it's further away then I expected. If you take a songtaew at Mae Sai bus station the driver will stop at the office. From there you can take a motorsai taxi to the border. Very friendly man working at the Myanmar immigration wich even took time to take photo's in his official costume with farang.

Thanks for the update and glad things went smoothly.smile.png

I have never tried to pay $10.

I am happy to pay the 500 baht and if the immigration guys profit from it, good luck to them.

I know it's a "matter of principle" about the $10 for some people, but 500 baht is cheap compared to other Thailand borders and I do not believe that there is an easier, friendlier or more polite border than this but to each his own.

It's a lot of money (500 Baht) and a scam, just like at the Cambodian border - the official price is $10 and you shouldn't pay any more for any reason. However, at the Cambodian border a 30 day visa-on-arrival is valid for the entire country at US$20 for a tourist visa or US$25 for a business one, they don't have these bizarre restrictions on travel like on the Burmese side where each border has a different policy, like Tachileik where you can at least travel for 14 days up to the Chinese border but not across, Myawaddy where you still have to pay a whopping US$10 for only a day pass and then you can't even leave town (I'm wondering if it's really that dangerous outside of town as they say), Payathonzu which hasn't officially reopened yet to foreigners but will within 2 years and Kawthoung where $10 gets you a 3 day pass valid only in that town. Strange and confusing.

Going to Laos (for me) or Malaysia are much better deals. I don't need a visa for either and so get in for free.

I am happy to pay the 500 baht and if the immigration guys profit from it, good luck to them.

I know it's a "matter of principle" about the $10 for some people, but 500 baht is cheap compared to other Thailand borders and I do not believe that there is an easier, friendlier or more polite border than this but to each his own.

It's a lot of money (500 Baht) and a scam, just like at the Cambodian border - the official price is $10 and you shouldn't pay any more for any reason. However, at the Cambodian border a 30 day visa-on-arrival is valid for the entire country at US$20 for a tourist visa or US$25 for a business one, they don't have these bizarre restrictions on travel like on the Burmese side where each border has a different policy, like Tachileik where you can at least travel for 14 days up to the Chinese border but not across, Myawaddy where you still have to pay a whopping US$10 for only a day pass and then you can't even leave town (I'm wondering if it's really that dangerous outside of town as they say), Payathonzu which hasn't officially reopened yet to foreigners but will within 2 years and Kawthoung where $10 gets you a 3 day pass valid only in that town. Strange and confusing.

Going to Laos (for me) or Malaysia are much better deals. I don't need a visa for either and so get in for free.

Just got back from a 5 day holiday in Penang. They gave me a 90 day Visa on arrival and didnt cost a cent.

Hi guys, i know this might be out of topic, i havent been back to my wife's hometown in years and i am thinking about doing so soon.

She lives in Kengtung , 3 hours from tachilek. We are thinking of crossing the borders and getting a "taxi"which back a few years would be about 2000thb per vehicle, does anyhow know what the rates are like now?

In case you don't know where the taxi/bus depot is for that, it's about 4 Km up the main road on the right, 1 block before the large 'Akha market' on the same side (south) of the street. As you cross in to Tachilek, you will have to tell the Burmese officials at the imm office that you plan to go to Kengtung. If you don't (prior to getting stamped in), then they will mark you 'visa' as standard; for Tachilek only.

It's a lot of money (500 Baht) and a scam, just like at the Cambodian border - the official price is $10 and you shouldn't pay any more for any reason.

They change personnel often at that tiny office. You could go once per 5 days for months, and see different workers there each time. They prefer the Bt.500 because it's more value. They will take $10 only if it's perfect bill, but not for 'day trips'/VIP pass. A farang may be able to convince them otherwise, but you'd have to make great efforts to do so, and even then, it's doubtful you'll succeed. I've asked them why the US dollars have to be perfect, and they say it's because of the bank they take the money to (dubious). When walking from that office in to Burma, you don't have to comply with anyone else. If anyone asks to see your papers, you can just wave, grin, and keep on walking.

At the large tourist there are some touts. Go ahead and engage them in conversation, ask questions, or whatever, they'll love it. But if you want to stop them from following you (when they're at your shoulder, asking you to buy stuff) here's a little trick. as you're strolling, take an immediate 180 degree turn and walk about 5 steps (they will probably attempt to follow your backtracking). Then take another immediate 180 degree turn to continue in your original direction. They will not follow. The looks on their faces, after that, are precious. Actually, some of the guys (30's, 40's) speak English quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone wants to trek near Tachilek; it's not impossible, though Burmese officials will frown upon it, if they find out. There are hiking trails going west and nw out of Tachilek, starting at the neighborhood called "ChowTow" You won't find a guide or a map, but nevertheless, you probably won't get lost unless you have no sense of direction. One path going left, goes steeply up about 2 miles to a small temple where there's a large sculpture of a toad (to counteract the large scorpion sculpture facing it from Mae Sai). The middle path is lovely but ends about 3 miles in. The right fork, halfway along that middle path, winds to a small Aka village called Ho Yu. The right-hand path out of Chow Tow winds for 4 miles to a road. Take a right and after a couple miles on a gravel road (another hill tribe village along the way), you'll wind up in a dusty part of northern Tachilek.

North of Tachilek are some rocky hills. The easternmost one is called Tandi Tu Ka. If you get to its south side, you'll find a Buddhist housed altar named Luee Satoo which is minded by two monks. Going up the hill are Chedi. Along the top of the south face is straight-up limestone crag, about 150 meters wide and 22 meters high. It's never been climbed but intriguing for those so-inclined. At the summit is a small gold-colored chedi. Unfortunately, the 3 mile road to get there is incredibly dusty and smoky, so not recommended by bicycle (as I did).

Edited by maidu
  • Like 1

Why anyone would do something of questionable legality in a country like Burma is beyond me. To encourage others to do the same is a bit much me thinks. I for one am not tempted to cross over the border to do things "Burmese officials will frown upon", when there is so much beautiful hiking and biking to be had in Thailand.smile.png

I realize that hiking off the beaten trail is not for everyone. As you know, the Burmese gov't frowns on a lot of things. It probably frowns on farang women wearing t-shirts in public. And fersure, there are hiking/biking trails in Chiang Rai region - though they're not designated by the Forestry or Parks departments - as neither Burma nor Thailand appreciates the value of walking/biking trails (which are off limits to motorcycles). They're all too busy scraping properties of all greenery, and amassing as many buildings as possible per sq.meter. Public recreational parks are some silly farang notion, as far as they're concerned.

If you want to see real deforestation, then Burma's Shan State is the epitome of deforestation. From Tachilek to the Chinese border, 1000's of square miles have been denuded for logging.

I have done the walking without asking permission thing in Burma, it was nice to do, but I wouldn't kid myself that there is any decent evergreen or montane forest left on the Burmese side anywhere near Tachilek.

If you want to see real deforestation, then Burma's Shan State is the epitome of deforestation. From Tachilek to the Chinese border, 1000's of square miles have been denuded for logging.

I have done the walking without asking permission thing in Burma, it was nice to do, but I wouldn't kid myself that there is any decent evergreen or montane forest left on the Burmese side anywhere near Tachilek.

speaking of deforestation - I just saw a photo of the inside of shop in Afghanistan. It was packed with dozens of large Chinese tools. Prominent were chain saws with long bars. I wondered, where in Afghanistan is there a tree - let alone one that needs a big powerful chain saw?

as for trees north of Tachilek. I've traveled nearly to the Chinese border in Shan State. Yes, there are treeless hills, but am not sure whether that's attributed to massive deforestation, or just the type of terrain that's naturally there. I remember thinking that in 100 years, it could be covered in housing tracts - mostly to please the insatiable Chinese, who are spreading everywhere.

to the 2nd part of your post: The hills west of Tachilek are a mix. Some are covered with plantations (special high-priced scented wood being bought by rich Arabs), some is mixed forest, some is scraped, whereas most is bamboo and weeds, which is indigenous to this region. I also saw two of the largest strangler figs, - each one roughly 5 meters diameter at chest height. There are also some fruit orchards and other cultivated crops on them thar hills. The hikes are nicer than one might imagine, which is why I'm recommending them here. Often the trails are shaded by trees, and there are potable springs every hundred meters or so, just coming out of the sides of hills in plastic pipe or bamboo conduit. You may not want to drink it (tho I did), but it's refreshing to splash it on your body on a hot day of hiking.

• 1 month later...

Went down to MaeSai on Monday to show a friend the sights and crossed the border in light rain. As we left Myanmar immigration, my friend, a largish western woman, slipped on the wet tiles and and had what could have been a nasty fall, banging her head on the ground in the process.

Fortunately she was unharmed but the fault was almost certainly in her sandals and she ended up walking barefooted.

I just thought I would point out to be careful of that whole immigration area that's tiled when it's wet, certain types of shoes will slip when it's wet, and not necessary the cheaper ones.

Full marks to the tuktuk boys and touts who were genuinely horrified and rushed to help her up.

• Like 1

Just got back from a 5 day holiday in Penang. They gave me a 90 day Visa on arrival and didnt cost a cent.

Arrived in Bali on Sunday for a first time holiday and the same type of money scam here. The cost of a Visa on Arrival is $25.00 USD. I had AUD and the girl at the counter said it is $27.00 AUD. I said that the exchange rate of the AUD against the USD is stronger so it should be less than $25 AUD. She give me a silly look and said"$27.00 AUD". I paid up.

I suppose at the end of shift or day they tally up the books and split the difference between themselves???????

And why not?

The wage of a base level public servant in Myanmar hardly bears thinking about. wink.png

I'll probably come under attack for this (again) but I think people lose a lot of the enjoyment of travelling sweating off over a few bucks. cool.png

• Like 2

The immigration officers in the Tachilek office are really helpful , very polite and on many occassion like to have a joke and a good laugh. Poor people yes but always polite and cheerful unlike the Thai counterparts. They also take care in putting their stamps in your passport and will try to fit their stamps into the spaces where the Thai's have made it difficult to put a stamp in line. Paying them what they ask for (500) bht , is the norm now as there is no sign in the office to say you can pay in US.Dollars. Pay up or dont go simple .

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Went again yesterday. All perfectly smooth and no hassle. I have read some recent stories about the rule of using this border/run for a limit of 4 times. I can confirm this is true. A foreign man in front of me was told that he came too Tachilek too many times. He asked the officer if they would give him another go and lucky for him the Immigration people agreed. I also saw in my passport that they actually do count the numbers of times you go there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Thanks to all of you who have posted detailed and useful information about this crossing. Has anyone made the crossing in the past few days?

I was in Mae Sot/Myawaddy a few weeks ago and had a good chat with the immigration officer from Myanmar Immigration. He mentioned that overland travel to the rest of Myanmar would be available 'in early April'. I would like to know if this has or will happen at Tachilek as well?

This is particularly timely since my wife and I have planned a trip up to Tachilek and I'm assuming that we would need to get a visa if overland travel is now permitted. We had hoped to go with the old scheme of drop off your passport, pay the guy 500 THB and come back within two weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi guys

Thanks to all of you who have posted detailed and useful information about this crossing. Has anyone made the crossing in the past few days?

I was in Mae Sot/Myawaddy a few weeks ago and had a good chat with the immigration officer from Myanmar Immigration. He mentioned that overland travel to the rest of Myanmar would be available 'in early April'. I would like to know if this has or will happen at Tachilek as well?

This is particularly timely since my wife and I have planned a trip up to Tachilek and I'm assuming that we would need to get a visa if overland travel is now permitted. We had hoped to go with the old scheme of drop off your passport, pay the guy 500 THB and come back within two weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Not sure about Tachileik to other points in Myanmar, but via Myawaddy yes. Apparently in 2 weeks from now, overland travel from Thailand via Myawaddy will be allowed. For now, you can travel to Myawaddy from other points in Myanmar via Hpa-an and Kawkareik but can't cross into Thailand without permission but in mid-April travel in both directions will be allowed. Coming from central Myanmar, the permission requirement to travel to Kawkareik and Myawaddy was dropped last month.

I never have any problems paying US$10 for the entry fee. Always accepted without a problem even if they say otherwise at first - only farangs used to paying more for everything pay 500 Baht. I don't.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

FrisoPee, on 25 Mar 2013 - 09:18, said:

Went again yesterday. All perfectly smooth and no hassle. I have read some recent stories about the rule of using this border/run for a limit of 4 times. I can confirm this is true. A foreign man in front of me was told that he came too Tachilek too many times. He asked the officer if they would give him another go and lucky for him the Immigration people agreed. I also saw in my passport that they actually do count the numbers of times you go there.

That is true - but too many foreigners cross over to Myanmar only for 10 mins only to come back again. He could have been more successful if he had actually spent a few days away from Thailand in Shan State, perhaps spending a day or two in Tachileik or a few days in Kengtung, a place he had probably never been to before. Next time going to Laos (Chiang Khong is only about 100km away) would be a better idea as they don't make as big a deal there. So when it comes to border runs, especially with no visa in your passport, you'd do well to actually turn them into a trip to a neighboring country not just show up to get the stamp.

Along with what Tomtomtom69 says, there is, as yet, no announced restriction on multiple VOA with Thai Immigration here in Chiang Khong. (Although, a higher Laos visa cost compared to Myanmar.)

And, it does seem more visa runs are being done via Chiang Khong/Huay Xai.

But, that said, as we all know, a Thai Immigration Officer can prohibit entry to anyone, at any time.

Politeness, appropriate dress, and as Tomtomtom69 says, some time in the visa run country cannot hurt the reentry process. Also, an elemental understanding of the visa process.

To see the other side; Recent Immigration cases here;

(1) Underwear-clad westerner in police station. Was standing wet on a road overlooking the Mekong, a few kilometers north. Picked up by a Thai provincial officer! No pack, money, PP. Swam across the Mekong. Lost his pack? Closed-mouthed. Several hours, clothes, and food. Still, closed-mouthed. Send back to Laos? Remembers, where his pack might be. Police drive with him to find it. No Laos departure stamp? Back to Laos.

(2) Westerner has 14 days overstay. Goes to Immigration to "discuss the matter". Girlfriend has "taken" a lot of his money. And, left him. Angry/stubborn. Now, refuses to "pay anything to leave Thailand". Immigration detains him for a couple of days to try and sort it out. Still, refuses to pay. Immigration sends him to Bangkok for deportation.

So, there can be behavioral slights by Immigration Officers, but there are more tourists than Immigration Officers in Thailand. And, these Officers sometimes see some pretty ridiculous behavior.

My wife is just back from a visit to her grandmother half-way between Tachilek and Keng Tung. The situation there is
horrible, with extreme poverty and malnutrition, rampant drug use, mixing poisons (including rat and insect poison) with the speed and heroin being manufactured (she has somewhat distant relatives who have been working doing the mixing) and animal disease (buffaloes, cows and pigs frothing at the mouth).

The international media neglect to report on this, perhaps to help preserve some (unwarranted) optimism for international investment in Myanmar, but Shan Herald Agency for News reports that drugs seized recently were burned by The Restoration Council of Shan State / Shan State Army (RCSS/SSA) seized drugs on Sunday, 7 April, on the Sino-Burmese border township of Namkham (according to the SSA South, as the RCSS/SSA is commonly known), including 55,171 methamphetamine tablets, 6 ½ viss (10.4 kg) of opium and one penicillin bottle of heroin. With drugs seized earlier, including more than 130,000 methamphetamine pills, they were turned over to Chinese authorities, said an SSA South officer. A burning ceremony took place at the Nawng Ma Tai base, witnessed by 486 invited people. Most of the yaba (methamphetamine) pills were red WY (10-15 pills per ¥ 100) and reddish brown 88/1 (6-8 pills per ¥ 100), explained Lt-Col Zawm Mong, commander of the Nawng Ma Tai-based 701st Task Force. Namkham township is one of the most notorious
drug producers and users in Shan State.

“Drugs are more dangerous to the people than all war weapons,” Sao Mao Hsai, deputy to Lt-Col Zawm Mong, told the audience.

SHAN also reported that due to recent clashes between Shan State Progress Party/Shan State Army (SSPP/SSA) and the Burma army in the Loi Zay region, Tangyan Township in northern Shan State, thousands of local people in the region are fleeing to the township seat.

At the end of March during the fight between SSPP/SSA and Burma army’s Infantry Battalions (IB) 33 and 291 and Light

Infantry Battalion (LIB) 322 intensified. The Burma army units were attacking SSA bases along Loi Zay range; they shelled the SSPP/SSA bases, also firing “knowingly”, according to sources, into farmlands and villages. It is reported that the shells landed in villages resulting in many losses. Following the shelling, Burma army soldiers also confiscated and looted villagers, a Lahu militiaman told SHAN.

My wife says lots of kids have weapons, with which to hunt for food in the forests. Young girls, however, often do not have underwear.

How about if they legalized drugs, and then the drugs could be made in a safer environment, and not cut with poisons, as Barlow mentioned. People who wanted cleaner drugs could go to a clinic (similar to how methadone is administered), and given a small dose for a small price, but the users would have to agree to counseling. There is no perfect solution, and there are always going to be types who want drugs, but the method mentioned would be better than the current method, which enables a few nefarious people to get rich, and ensures poisonous drugs at high prices - and ensures those are the only types of recreational drugs available (not counting alcohol).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, i know this might be out of topic, i havent been back to my wife's hometown in years and i am thinking about doing so soon.

She lives in Kengtung , 3 hours from tachilek. We are thinking of crossing the borders and getting a "taxi"which back a few years would be about 2000thb per vehicle, does anyhow know what the rates are like now?

As you may know, going to Kengtung requires an arrangement, by the farang, to pay minimum Bt.1,000/day to government-approved guide. That 1,000 doesn't cover any expenses, except guide fee. That law may change b4 2 long, if any decent sensible people decide to change it. I asked a tourist agent (next door to Burmese imm office) and she said the law is there to protect tourists (from dangers?). That surprised me, because the region north of Tachilek is not known for being dangerous to tourists, as far as I know. Colombia, yes, but Shan State?

Edited by boomerangutang

As you may know, going to Kengtung requires an arrangement, by the farang, to pay minimum Bt.1,000/day to government-approved guide. That 1,000 doesn't cover any expenses, except guide fee. That law may change b4 2 long, if any decent sensible people decide to change it. I asked a tourist agent (next door to Burmese imm office) and she said the law is there to protect tourists (from dangers?). That surprised me, because the region north of Tachilek is not known for being dangerous to tourists, as far as I know. Colombia, yes, but Shan State?

i heard of the 1000/day thing, but isnt it already abolished? anyone can affirm?

• 2 weeks later...

i heard of the 1000/day thing, but isnt it already abolished? anyone can affirm?

still extant. I've told there's talk of it becoming sane (demise of the stupid Bt,1,000/day requirement), but the Burmese tourist dept. lady who told me (in a whisper) said she didn't know when. She said the requirement was officially 'for safety of tourists.' I mentioned that I didn't think there were dangers for tourists going up the main road in Shan State. She just rolled her eyes and shrugged her shoulders.

In reality, there aren't any tangible dangers to farang venturing north of Tachilek - or at least none that I've heard of, 'if you keep your nose clean' (as my dad would say).

I would assume that you would get to keep your passport if this scenario happens. Sounds good to me smile.png

I would hold off a little for more info before going as it is so new but a very very interesting developement. If I was on my own I would be through like a shot but you know how thai wives look on burma.

Probably as soon as the border opens to visa holders who will then be allowed to proceed anywhere they want in Myanmar. This will supposedly happen sometime this month. Check the Myanmar forum for further details as I don't want to double post here.