Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

tayto

I would assume that you would get to keep your passport if this scenario happens. Sounds good to me smile.png

I would hold off a little for more info before going as it is so new but a very very interesting developement. If I was on my own I would be through like a shot but you know how thai wives look on burma.

Well you can go on day 1 provided confirmation has been provided that it's possible. It is August now, but the article fails to provide any info about the exact date the border will open. My 2 cents are due to flooding in Kayin/Karen State and Mae Sot, it might take a few more days (or weeks) there, but if anyone is in Mae Sai now, why don't they go up to immigration and ask? Perhaps they could print out a copy of this article and show it to Myanmar immigration (not Thai immigration as they wouldn't know as much) and come back to this forum and give us our answer.

http://www.dvb.no/news/immigration-officials-relax-restrictions-for-tourists-travelling-overland/31227?goback=.gde_4537987_member_261817101

It looks as if options for visa runs have opened up. Travel through Tachilik to other parts of Burma and exit at other border points is now allowed.

Yes, that's right but on what date exactly? Neither this nor the other three articles on this topic care to elaborate. Anyway, we have a whole month to wait. Hopefully someone going on a visa run to Mae Sai/Tachilek can ask around and fill us in.

From ElevenMyanmar.com:

Myanmar to allow visitors crossing from Thailand Published on Wednesday, 31 July 2013 17:37

Myanmar will allow visitors using the border crossings of Tarchileik, Myawady and Kawthaung via Thailand to go anywhere except restricted areas starting in August, according to an announcement by the Ministry of Information.

The allowance aims to increase the arrival of foreign travellers. In the announcement, the Ministry of Information stated that visitors can go anywhere except where there are security concerns and depart from any exits which the government allows.

According to the bilateral agreement between Myanmar and Thailand for border crossing, the official entrance and exits are Tarchileik-Mae Sai, Myawady-Mae Sot and Kawthaung-Ranong.

Aung Win Thein, Department Head of Immigration Administration and National Registration of Myawady district said that as the government reduces the restriction, the job opportunities and tourism industry will show a good signs of improvement.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

http://www.dvb.no/news/immigration-officials-relax-restrictions-for-tourists-travelling-overland/31227?goback=.gde_4537987_member_261817101

It looks as if options for visa runs have opened up. Travel through Tachilik to other parts of Burma and exit at other border points is now allowed.

Yes, that's right but on what date exactly? Neither this nor the other three articles on this topic care to elaborate. Anyway, we have a whole month to wait. Hopefully someone going on a visa run to Mae Sai/Tachilek can ask around and fill us in.

From ElevenMyanmar.com:

Myanmar to allow visitors crossing from Thailand Published on Wednesday, 31 July 2013 17:37

Myanmar will allow visitors using the border crossings of Tarchileik, Myawady and Kawthaung via Thailand to go anywhere except restricted areas starting in August, according to an announcement by the Ministry of Information.

The allowance aims to increase the arrival of foreign travellers. In the announcement, the Ministry of Information stated that visitors can go anywhere except where there are security concerns and depart from any exits which the government allows.

According to the bilateral agreement between Myanmar and Thailand for border crossing, the official entrance and exits are Tarchileik-Mae Sai, Myawady-Mae Sot and Kawthaung-Ranong.

Aung Win Thein, Department Head of Immigration Administration and National Registration of Myawady district said that as the government reduces the restriction, the job opportunities and tourism industry will show a good signs of improvement.

It appears that you may be able to take a bus up to Lashio and from there connect to a train to mandalay/Rangoon etc.....most likely a long slow but interesting trip....lof of info here.

http://www.seat61.com/Burma.htm#.UfquINLD_3g

i am quite concerned about the guide costs.

if THB 1000/day, it will be 14k for 2 weeks!

I am pretty sure that once overland access with a visa in your passport is open at Tachilek (reportedly this month, probably after the flooding eases) then the guide requirement will be dropped. Let's stop talking about guides but rather about when you can cross over from Mae Sai to Tachilek with a visa and whether you will be allowed to travel the Kengtung-Taunggyi road or if you still need to fly from either Tachilek or Kengtung to Taunggyi, Yangon, Heho or Mandalay. True overland access without any flying required will definitely be possible if you enter Myanmar through Myawaddy (opposite Mae Sot) or Kawthoung (opposite Ranong). The question is what about in Shan State?

Can someone please ask Myanmar immigration at Tachileik to give us a date about when the border will open? It's August now, but the article I posted did not specify the date in August when overland access will start. Right now I think the flooding situation is the main reason no confirmed trip reports have been given and in all probability, the reason why the border hasn't opened for overland travel just yet.

From ElevenMyanmar.com:

It appears that you may be able to take a bus up to Lashio and from there connect to a train to mandalay/Rangoon etc.....most likely a long slow but interesting trip....lof of info here.

http://www.seat61.com/Burma.htm#.UfquINLD_3g

No need to go all the way to Lashio - from Kengtung there is a road to Taunggyi, however, it is unclear whether this road will allow overland travel to foreigners after overland access from Thailand is allowed.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any updated info on what is allowed as far as travel into Burma on the new program? Can one now enter and take a bus up to Lashio to catch a train to rangoon without having a "guide"?

I think that this new gateway is going to be a big hit with a lot of travelers to Chiang Rai. Choice of going into or out of Laos via Chiang Khong or into/out of Burma via mae sai. I doubt most backpackers are aware of these possibilities yet but once it is all fully open I think the Burma trip will quickly expand. I'd like to do it before it becomes too popular.

Note that you better have a VISA before trying to enter via borders. The news said that it will start on 28th next week but waiting for Thai's green light. They do not mention about VOA so better get a VISA beforehand. Since it will become International's checkpoint, doubt the guide is still a must.

Note that you better have a VISA before trying to enter via borders. The news said that it will start on 28th next week but waiting for Thai's green light. They do not mention about VOA so better get a VISA beforehand. Since it will become International's checkpoint, doubt the guide is still a must.

ok thanks...I understand that you can get the visa in bkkk and it's good for 28 days...but have to use it within three months of issue date?

Have you ridden any of the local buses in Myanmar? How bad/good are they? Do they have "vip" type busese like sometimes avail in LOS or are they all old beat up public buses that stop every few kms?

I don't think there will be VIP buses. Those buses are cheap and most of the local who take this kind of buses are who can't afford plane ticket or to transport goods. Unless you want to have a feel, otherwise take plane. The road is rough.

Yes, 100 baht and two copies of the photo page.

That's on the Thai side. On the Burmese side of the bridge, it's nearly the same as a regular crossing with passport getting stamped. The difference, on the Burmese side, is they won't consider taking us$10, ...only Bt.500.

ok thanks...I understand that you can get the visa in bkkk and it's good for 28 days...but have to use it within three months of issue date?

Have you ridden any of the local buses in Myanmar? How bad/good are they? Do they have "vip" type busese like sometimes avail in LOS or are they all old beat up public buses that stop every few kms?

I've taken the bus to Keng Tung, years ago. It was ok quality. I haven't seen road hog VIP buses in Burma. Also: just before the bus station in Tachilek, about 5km east from the main road, from the bridge, there's a taxi yard. Both it and the 2 bus stations are on the right side (south) of the road. If you've gone to the 'Akha market' you've gone 150 meters too far. The taxi yard is full of white toyota hatchbacks, probably got them for free from Japan 20 years ago. You can bargain with them. It's a relatively comfy way to go, and you can do short stops along the way.

Yes, 100 baht and two copies of the photo page.

That's on the Thai side. On the Burmese side of the bridge, it's nearly the same as a regular crossing with passport getting stamped. The difference, on the Burmese side, is they won't consider taking us$10, ...only Bt.500.

I've taken the bus to Keng Tung, years ago. It was ok quality. I haven't seen road hog VIP buses in Burma. Also: just before the bus station in Tachilek, about 5km east from the main road, from the bridge, there's a taxi yard. Both it and the 2 bus stations are on the right side (south) of the road. If you've gone to the 'Akha market' you've gone 150 meters too far. The taxi yard is full of white toyota hatchbacks, probably got them for free from Japan 20 years ago. You can bargain with them. It's a relatively comfy way to go, and you can do short stops along the way.

Border crossing is now open since Aug 28 - guide requirement has almost certainly been dropped now. Visa in advance is a must, although this is easy to get but by next year, VOA may be an option. No idea about Kengtung to Taunggyi though - this has not been mentioned. Will overland travel between these 2 points be possible now or an internal flight still be necessary?

For information, this update was posted a couple of days ago on Travelfish.org.

And before the unfailingly helpful Thaivisa commentariat point out the obvious, no, this publication doesn't have a first-hand verification of the crossing or the ability to access internal flights from Tachilek, which will be the Holy Grail.....

Am not sure what other posts on this and other forums are saying, but here's what I found out from two gov't travel authorities at Tachilek, about 3 days ago:

>>> if you want to go up in to Shan State, you can now do so without a state-required guide

It probably just covers the route up to the Chinese border, without much deviation.

>>> you cannot go overland from Keng Tung to Taungii (by bus) and beyond, because they say the roads are not good.

>>> You can take a plane from Tachilek to other parts of Burma, but you need a bona fide visa issued from a Burmese embassy to do so. You can't do it with a border crossing visa.

>>> farang are not officially allowed to rent motorcycle in Burma - though when I went up-country a decade ago, I was able to do so. As with many 'official' no-no's, there could possibly be ways to skirt around that silly rule.

Boomerangutang's spin: Burma is opening up a bit, but it's still quite paranoid and controlling on official levels. Even so, it's not hard to bend the rules - particularly when you get away from police check-points and such.

• Like 1

Did a trip up to Mae Sai today.

The majority of the market downstairs is under water.

So if you want to do a bit of shopping, would be best

to put it off or take your scuba gear.

Anyone know if this is still the case now...!? Has anybody been up there in this past week?

Was planning on heading up to Mae Sai on Sunday, but it was miserable that last time I went during heavy rain - I'll give it a miss if there is still a lot of surface water around at this time too.

Cheers,

M

Anyone know if this is still the case now...!? Has anybody been up there in this past week?

Was planning on heading up to Mae Sai on Sunday, but it was miserable that last time I went during heavy rain - I'll give it a miss if there is still a lot of surface water around at this time too.

Cheers,

M

Since we've had a lot of rain preceding Sat., I reckon it will be either flooded or, at best, muddy and soggy, with half the vendors absent, and the remaining half in variations of glum moods.

Cheers,

M

Since we've had a lot of rain preceding Sat., I reckon it will be either flooded or, at best, muddy and soggy, with half the vendors absent, and the remaining half in variations of glum moods.

OK, thanks - I guessed that would probably be the case! It really hacked it down when I last went there and I stupidly thought it would be alright on the Burmese side...

Wading around in filthy, calf-deep water was not a great shopping experience! whistling.gif

If I'm feeling brave, I may attempt it without the wife - if not, I guess the DVDs will have to wait for a while!?

oops, my earlier reply was commentary about the tourist market in Tachilek, not Mae Sai. I realized my mistake when I saw the above mention of 'ate by the river.' In Tachilek, there is no place to 'eat by the river.' Indeed, Tachilek folks don't seem to care about having a river nearby. It could be a long patch of dirty sand, for all they care. They don't interact with the river, except drop bags of garbage in it. There are actually rapids before and after the river gets to Tachilek, but if you were to ask 1,000 Tachilek residents, not one would know or care.

I go to the riverside in Tachilek (not easy to do), and saw a stretch of about 250 meters on the Thai side which would be well suited for a turtle sanctuary. It has slopes and sandy stretches - perfect turtle habitat. Who would a person go to - to propose such an idea? .....and would it get any more response than a chuckle and a shrug? No.

Mae Sai / Tachilek is to naturalness, what Ronald McDonald is to rocket science. Not a speck of park space in either city.