Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

tayto

I would imagine that many of the people in the area who are struggling with a day to day existence would consider a turtle a tasty addition to the evening meal.

That's half the problem. The other half of the problem is how Asians in general seem to not care much maintaining what little bit is left of their natural environment. It's waaaaaaay down their priorties list.

Any updates on the Tachilek side of the border, especially regarding flooded markets? I'm going on Sunday regardless, I'd like to know how bad it is.

the main market was not flooded a couple of days ago when I was there, and there hasn't been any significant rain since - so it won't be flooded in the next couple of days, at least.

I would imagine that many of the people in the area who are struggling with a day to day existence would consider a turtle a tasty addition to the evening meal.

That's half the problem. The other half of the problem is how Asians in general seem to not care much maintaining what little bit is left of their natural environment. It's waaaaaaay down their priorties list.

Any updates on the Tachilek side of the border, especially regarding flooded markets? I'm going on Sunday regardless, I'd like to know how bad it is.

the main market was not flooded a couple of days ago when I was there, and there hasn't been any significant rain since - so it won't be flooded in the next couple of days, at least.

Thanks for the info, I'm glad to read that I won't have to wade to my favorite DVD shops.

I just returned. The Tachilek market is wet, with puddles and dripping awnings, but not flooded. I think the river would have to rise at least another meter before it would overflow its banks and flood the area.

• Like 1

Painless visa top up run to the border today, a little rain on the way and took an umbrella across but never needed it.

No water laying around, just a few puddles.

Going early is definitely the trick, no one at the passport control going in or out, shops just opening on the other side.

• 2 weeks later...

I had another run up on Friday with both sides very wet.

There was about a foot of water on the road that runs under the bridge on the Thai side and it was nearly up to the river car park on the other.

We crossed and shopped without any problem.

On the return I passed through immigration ahead of my companions as I had a VIP pass and to my surprise they were asked to put their full Thailand address (where they were staying) on their arrival cards,

The name of the hotel and Chiang Rai was not sufficient.

Customs ignored our purchases with their usual indifference.

Edited by sceadugenga
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went up yesterday. No problems with flooding. However, stoplights have been introduced at about 5 intersections. Ugh. Bad idea, particularly where there are hardly any vehicles in cross-streets. Example: at the new bridge T, there might be 50 vehicles waiting at a red light for minutes, while zero vehicles enter the intersection. Similar in Mae Sae, which never had stop lights before recently, and now hundreds of cars per hour are stopped, idling, smoking, while very few if any vehicles enter the intersection.

If Thai and Burmese authorities are fixated upon adding stoplights to try and appear modernized, at least put them on timers which reflect the traffic flow.

I wonder if anyone in Burma or Thailand ever studied issues related to traffic and/or traffic lights. They don't have a clue how to ease flows of traffic. Prime example of that is the soggy mess known as Bangkok.

At a hole in the wall restaurant in Tachilek, I ordered chicken/potatoes with rice. The place was at the lowest rung of the social ladder. I didn't like the grizzled chicken pieces and took it back to the cook to ask for more, without offering paying extra. He misunderstood me and didn't bring me any added food. However, when I went to pay, he indicated 'no payment' with a smile. Can you imagine a restaurant owner saying 'no payment' in Thailand (if the serving was inferior)? I paid him something anyway.

They are perfectly nice people but in general there is far far more farang double pricing on the Burmese side of the border, in my experience. In general, for food, it is quite a bit more expensive than on the Thai side... Unless you happen across one of the relatively few places that actually just charges you the local price. You can often see them doing it, they stop and think for a second when you ask the price.

• 2 weeks later...

going into talichek was a bitch for me. Firstly it's 500bht for non thai foreigners. Next i need to fill in a departure card that they give you onboard the aeroplanes when you fly into a foreign country. So i filled that in and had to queue up etc. Friend was buying some luggage and i bought a few blu ray discs very cheaply at 20 bht for 1 disc. Next leaving the place was a bitch. Had to fill the arrival card and what was worse the freaking immigration officer told me i had to fill in the departure side too so get this for a few hours visit into myanmar i need to fill in a departure card at the thai side. Then when you go to the burmese side you need to pay 500bht get your picture taken for a 1 day visa pass. Then afterwards when you're coming back you go to the burmese side to get back your passport. Go to the thai side and queue up while having to fill another arrival and departure card again.

You get used to it and learn the short cuts.

If I'm crossing with my passport I always have the cards filled in at home, saves time. (I always pinch a couple of spares on planes etc).

If I'm not using my passport I get what they call a VIP pass, costs 100B extra at the Thai side but saves heaps of time, you jump queues and miss the picture taking.

going into talichek was a bitch for me. Firstly it's 500bht for non thai foreigners. Next i need to fill in a departure card that they give you onboard the aeroplanes when you fly into a foreign country. So i filled that in and had to queue up etc. Friend was buying some luggage and i bought a few blu ray discs very cheaply at 20 bht for 1 disc. Next leaving the place was a bitch. Had to fill the arrival card and what was worse the freaking immigration officer told me i had to fill in the departure side too so get this for a few hours visit into myanmar i need to fill in a departure card at the thai side. Then when you go to the burmese side you need to pay 500bht get your picture taken for a 1 day visa pass. Then afterwards when you're coming back you go to the burmese side to get back your passport. Go to the thai side and queue up while having to fill another arrival and departure card again.

How many international borders do you find easier?

Edited by harrry
  • Like 2

If I'm crossing with my passport I always have the cards filled in at home, saves time. (I always pinch a couple of spares on planes etc).

If I'm not using my passport I get what they call a VIP pass, costs 100B extra at the Thai side but saves heaps of time, you jump queues and miss the picture taking.

do u need to pay 500bht to the burmese officers?

You complain about normal government procedures but brag about your illegal activities in other post. YFK

• Like 1

You complain about normal government procedures but brag about your illegal activities in other post. YFK

I don't get your point at all. It was a bitch to enter and i might not have a license but i can drive pretty well and fyi it's so common for many ppl to not have a license to drive or a fake license. So many thais in the countrysides and in bkk do it.

• 4 weeks later...

I am hoping for some help. I am going to try the Nae Sai border for my 30 day stamp on a non o spouse visa.Reading the thread it sounds fine, but I have a couple of questions. People are saying about a visa from Bangkok, is this an visa? If it is how long has this taken people to get processed in the past and is it worth it ( I'm fed up of visas taking a page in my passport). There is also talk of immigration. Am I right in believing I can have my visa extended there? As I said (wrote) I am on non O spousal but am teaching. I do not have the work permit yet but will have before extension is necessary Is it feasable to do this in Mae Sai? as in Amnat Charoen they would not allow the extension because of the non O visa.\

Any help appreciated

So 500b plus 100b right ? and you can croos no problems without using your passport right?

I dont want to have to get a re entry visa thats all.

Whats the deal with Thais crossing for the day? What do they need to do and pay these days?

I wasn't sure, mine hasn't crossed the border in years, she loathes the place.

Even Mae Sai is too close for her, on the rare occasions she condescends to accompany me she shops for mainly household goods while I cross and is waiting by the car ready to go home when I get back.

I seem to remember my wife paying 30 baht for her border pass last time.

Yes correct we crossed over 2 weeks ago and the border pass for Thais' was 30 baht and obtained from the Thai Immigration office 1 or 2 kms back from the border crossing point. The Myanmar immigration authorities still fleece farangs for 500 baht for a day pass but I guess that is cheap compared to Laos immigration that want $30 for a visa.

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 1

I believe Thais pick up a border pass at immigration down the road from the border and it cost very little.

The VIP pass is very simple, you take a couple of photocopies of the main page of your passport, or get them done for a few baht near the border crossing, there's a shop to the left just where the road goes down to turn under the bridge.

The Thais keep your passport and give you a temporary document which you present at Myanmar immigration.

When you come back don't stop at the Thailand arrivals side, go straight through... waving your paperwork at the them... then go back around to departures and knock on the side door ignoring any queue at the windows.

Someone will come out and give you your unstamped passport back.

It is not at immigration that Thais get their border pass it is at what I believe is the Ampher. It is a couple of hundred metres before he Immigration office going towards the border on the left side.

• Like 1