Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

tayto

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tested the new rules yet by doing a trip from Tachilek overland to Yangoon or Mandalay? Would love to hear a first hand report on what to expect...i'd like to go via bus to closest place possible and then catch a train.....curious as to how good/bad are the roads/buses/guest houses/etc as I doubt they have seen many tourists along that route.

If you have crossed anywhere else from Thailand you will realise what an easy trip this is less hassel than anywhere else and less money. for a stamp this is the place to go

Thanks but not interested in a "stamp"....what I am interested in is details as to buses guesthouses roads etc to travel inland to first train station...

I've made a couple of inquiries about this myself without receiving any concrete advice.

I do believe that for that type of trip you need a visa from the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok but am prepared to be corrected on this.

yes you do need the visa from Burma embassy....

hopefully someone who has actually done a trip overland will give us a trip report...info is pretty spotty online which is no surprise since probably few tourists have done the trip entering at tachilek...

Has anyone tested the new rules yet by doing a trip from Tachilek overland to Yangoon or Mandalay? Would love to hear a first hand report on what to expect...i'd like to go via bus to closest place possible and then catch a train.....curious as to how good/bad are the roads/buses/guest houses/etc as I doubt they have seen many tourists along that route.

I was told by an Burmese tour official that there is, currently, no overland available for tourists - outside of Shan State. Planes, yes. But it sounded like farang tourists are only allowed to stray up and down the main N/S road out of Tachilek. Note: if you cross at Mae Sai, and plan to go up that road, you must tell the officials who stamp passports (and take your 500 baht) at the tiny office on the N side of the bridge. If you don't, they will stamp you in for 'Tachilek only' which will preclude you being allowed to stray northward.

It's a feudal system which harkens to long-ago days of feudal city-states. Though Burmese officialdom is opening up a bit on what they allow, they're still stuck in their paranoid afraid-of-the-outside-world mentality. It's hard to change ingrained habits.

It's weird; you could go in to the Burmese Imm office every few days for years, and you would always see a different group of uniformed workers there. They must have some sort revolving system - so every uniformed person gets a shot at working in that bathroom-sized office. Also: I've never seen a cop in Tachilek, though have seen some soldiers.

P.S. In contrast, there's one rude guy (and his friend) who are minding the booth at the Thai entry point. He still makes it difficult, particularly for newbies, to figure out where to get an entry card to fill out. I think he enjoys annoying farang, because even when a farang approaches his tiny booth, he sometimes balks at handing out a card. He says nothing, only frowns. He never memorized the 5 or 6 words of English that would facilitate his job, such as; "would you like an entry card?" No signs in English either, ....except the ridiculous 5 years-outdated sign taped to tinted window further in, which reads: "Foreigners have to show 20,000 baht." What the intelligence-challenged Thai officials didn't grasp (or couldn't care about) is that Burmese thieves in Tachilek are thinking,'cool, every farang who is walking around here is required to carry at least 20,000 baht cash' The same officials who placed the small openings in the window high enough for the officials sitting inside - to see the entrants' bellies.

Thankfully, I've never heard of a farang being ripped off (or having stuff stolen) in Tachilek, though I can't say the same about Thailand.

If you have crossed anywhere else from Thailand you will realise what an easy trip this is less hassel than anywhere else and less money. for a stamp this is the place to go

Thanks but not interested in a "stamp"....what I am interested in is details as to buses guesthouses roads etc to travel inland to first train station...

No problem. The reply was not to you it was a general statement as to the ease of obtaining a "stamp". If you need information and do not have any replies perhaps you could search elsewhere on the net........

The rules have recently changed...but still not clear if you can actually go via road/bus inland or if that might be a "restricted area"...thus the question has anyone actually done an overland or do you have to fly from Tachilek.

I was told, very clearly, that tourists are allowed to go north up in to Shan State, (along the main hwy), but are not allowed to stray elsewhere, such as Taungii or further west - out of Shan State by road. Fly out, ok, if you have a proper visa issued by Myanmar authorities (their embassy). But the 2 week entry pass issued at Tachilek will not enable you to leave Shan State by any means.
  • Like 1

It seems more complex than that, possibly changing from day to day.

Tuanggyi is part of the Shan state so how far west could you go?

Kunhing?

North to Kunlong or Namkhan?

How far west do they speak Thai I wonder?

Could a Thai speaker get by in Shan?

Is English still spoken by the educated classes or has Chinese taken over?

It seems more complex than that, possibly changing from day to day.

Tuanggyi is part of the Shan state so how far west could you go?

Kunhing?

North to Kunlong or Namkhan?

How far west do they speak Thai I wonder?

Could a Thai speaker get by in Shan?

Is English still spoken by the educated classes or has Chinese taken over?

It seems strange that there is so little info on the net, perhaps travel forums would be the place to check

http://www.myanmartravelsandtours.com/tourist-information.htm

On this website they state clearly where and how you are allowed to go in Burma. "MTT" calls the shots, or rather conveys the message, about this.

Note "F.I.T" means "foreign independent traveller"

A good read reviels that the "opening up of Burma" so far is a lot of hot air, nothing much has changed. In the case of the eastern Shan state, they are even more restrictive than ca. 7 years ago.

http://www.myanmartravelsandtours.com/tourist-information.htm

On this website they state clearly where and how you are allowed to go in Burma. "MTT" calls the shots, or rather conveys the message, about this.

Note "F.I.T" means "foreign independent traveller"

A good read reviels that the "opening up of Burma" so far is a lot of hot air, nothing much has changed. In the case of the eastern Shan state, they are even more restrictive than ca. 7 years ago.

So if I understand from the link it would not be permitted for an FIT to go from Lashio to Yangoon or Mandalay on the train? Is that correct?

(B)Northern Shan State

Package Tours and F.I.T are allowed to Lashio through the inland route either by plane,train or car. Further to Muse, prior permission is required.

© Southern Shan State

Package Tours and F.I.T are allowed to Taunggyi, Inlay, Pindaya, Kalaw, Yatsauk and Kakku through the inland route either by plane, train or car.

I'll say it again: The woman who minds the tourist office next to Imm. office told me, in effect: "you can go up the main hwy north to the two cities: Keng Tung and up to the Chinese border. You are not allowed to go far on the off-shoot roads going east or west."

I asked: "can I go on the road to Taungii?"

She said: "No."

I asked: "can I rent a motorbike?"

How much clearer does it need to be stated?

To go north of Tachilek by car or bus, you need a stamped provision to that effect from the Imm office. To fly out of Tachilek to any other parts of Burma to the west, you need a bona fide visa issued by a Burmese embassy or equivelent. The entry visa at Tachilek won't suffice for that.

Edited by boomerangutang

I'll say it again: The woman who minds the tourist office next to Imm. office told me, in effect: "you can go up the main hwy north to the two cities: Keng Tung and up to the Chinese border. You are not allowed to go far on the off-shoot roads going east or west."

To go north of Tachilek by car or bus, you need a stamped provision to that effect from the Imm office. To fly out of Tachilek to any other parts of Burma to the west, you need a bona fide visa issued by a Burmese embassy or equivelent. The entry visa at Tachilek won't suffice for that.

Clear as mud.

To go north of Tachilek by car or bus, you need a stamped provision to that effect from the Imm office. To fly out of Tachilek to any other parts of Burma to the west, you need a bona fide visa issued by a Burmese embassy or equivalent. The entry visa at Tachilek won't suffice for that.

Clear as mud.

Funny, ha ha, but what's not clear?

To go north of Tachilek by car or bus, you need a stamped provision to that effect from the Imm office. To fly out of Tachilek to any other parts of Burma to the west, you need a bona fide visa issued by a Burmese embassy or equivalent. The entry visa at Tachilek won't suffice for that.

Clear as mud.

Funny, ha ha, but what's not clear?

sorry but I just find the information on the website and the whole question of where you can and can't go to be confusing...I was hoping that when they opened up the borders it would be just get a visa and go anywhere you like...but obviously that isn't the case....

I had a chat to the staff in the duty free shop in Tachilek today and asked about traveling west.

They didn't think much had changed over the last few years and said that I could go as far as Kentung and maybe north to the Chinese border.

I realise this is not a travel "source" but I thought that they may have some idea.

Nothing much has changed if you don't get the visa in advance, then you can just go to Tachileik (or maybe up to Kengtung if you get a guide) on the two week entry permit.

If however you arrive at the border WITH a Myanmar visa you can indeed travel onwards into the country, and I've met people in Tachileik in the last few months who were doing that.

The question is whether you can go by road between Kengtung and Taunggyi. That I can't confirm, it is possible you have to fly (either from Tachileik or Kengtung).

• Like 1

In my view the wegsite is pretty clear. You just have to ge to the conclusion that all what is not permitted, is forbidden.

So, travel from Tachileik to Geng Tung and back is permitted, (even to holders of an Entry Permit, as opposed to a Visa) all the rest in Eastern Shan State NOT. It sure would not hurt to try though.

Some years ago I was allowed to cycle all the way to Mong Lar and back. A year later then, no permission. I strapped the bike on a pick up. In Mong Lar the immigration happily gave me the permit to cycle back... No problem Sir!!

Figure that out!

I had a chat to the staff in the duty free shop in Tachilek today and asked about traveling west.

They didn't think much had changed over the last few years and said that I could go as far as Kentung and maybe north to the Chinese border.

I realise this is not a travel "source" but I thought that they may have some idea.

That's essentially what I've posted twice recently. But I got my info from a 'source.' - the man and woman who run the tiny official tourist office across the street.

Nothing much has changed if you don't get the visa in advance, then you can just go to Tachileik (or maybe up to Kengtung if you get a guide) on the two week entry permit. If however you arrive at the border WITH a Myanmar visa you can indeed travel onwards into the country, and I've met people in Tachileik in the last few months who were doing that. The question is whether you can go by road between Kengtung and Taunggyi. That I can't confirm, it is possible you have to fly (either from Tachileik or Kengtung).

Until recently, you could go to Kengtung only with an approved guide - cost: Bt.1,000/day. Now a tourist is allowed go to Kengtung without a guide. But you are still required to sign in at the tourist office in Kengtung, because Burma is still somewhat of a police state.

I'll say it a 3rd time here: Tourists are NOT allowed to travel overland from Keng Tung westwards (to taungii or elsewhere) - regardless of whether the tourist has a 2 week border visa or a bona fide visa from an embassy. You can possibly slip around officaldom, as I did when I rented a motorbike for 3 days in Keng Tung, several years ago. There are some types of travelers who like to stretch the envelope, so to speak.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the more boring subject that hasn't come up for months -- has anyone recently been able to use a crisp, clean, perfect condition US$10 to enter Myanmar rather than the 500B? My wife, a US citizen, is going tomorrow.

TIA.

The discussion of unrestricted onward travel (beyond Kengtung and Mong Lar) is much more interesting but so far the current govt has done nothing more than talk.

I never bother with the $10 now, you used to be able to buy them at a stall near the bank on the MaeSai side for 400B but she put the price up to 450 a few years back so it wasn't worth the hassle.

My advice would be to try but keep a 500B note handy as well.

• Like 1

I have crossed that border about seven times and paid $10 each time. The immigration guy tried to get 500B out of me the very first time I did it but I insisted and he took the $10 without mentioning anything every subsequent time.

I have some dollars handy for this sort of thing but if you buy them somewhere other than Mae Sai you should get the proper rate (330B or so). Last time I was in Mae Sai I got change of a $20 into two tens for free at the foreign exchange place on the left near the border (not a bank, none of them had any.)

Try the $10. See how it goes. Decide in advance what you will do if they want 500 Baht. Changing $10 in a Thai bank or money changer loses you around 3 Baht and another 3 Baht to change it back so it is not the end of the world if they won't take it.

Try to avoid the times a visa run minibus pulls in. They seem to hit these guys for 500 Baht.

• 2 weeks later...

I never bother with the $10 now, you used to be able to buy them at a stall near the bank on the MaeSai side for 400B but she put the price up to 450 a few years back so it wasn't worth the hassle. My advice would be to try but keep a 500B note handy as well.

That's a rip-off. There's a money changing shop - about 500 meters south of the crossing, on the west side of the main road. It's a corner shop, friendly folks. The rate is decent.

On the Burmese side, they've become more reasonable about accepting $10. They don't insist the bills be absolutely perfect, and they may even accept it for a day pass. Also, the officials at the Myanmar entry side are way friendlier than those on the Thai side.

Also: the Thai official, upon my entry, made a mistake on my visa date. It was an honest mistake and I showed him, and he fixed it right away. Lesson: if you're shooting for extending your visa for other than the current 30-day extension, be sure to glance at your visa stamp - to be sure it's correct.