Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

tayto

Just wondering?

I was on the last day of my 30 day on arrival permit and refused an exit stamp at Mai Sai twice with one day between visits, different officers.At this point my cheapest option was apply for an extention @1900 baht which i did. Now it was not clear as to why a exit stamp was denied and having dealt with several officers from the post and Mae Sai office i am no the wiser as to the reasons

Is it a cash grab, tourist tax?

My question is if I had 15 days left on my arrival permit and wish to cross to Burma for the day would I have been given an exit stamp or is it not possible without a Thai Visa and or a Burmese Visa?

Edited by Donnchadh
  • Like 1

Just wondering?

I was on the last day of my 30 day on arrival permit and refused an exit stamp at Mai Sai twice with one day between visits, different officers.At this point my cheapest option was apply for an extention @1900 baht which i did. Now it was not clear as to why a exit stamp was denied and having dealt with several officers from the post and Mae Sai office i am no the wiser as to the reasons

My question is if I had 15 days left on my arrival permit and wish to cross to Burma for the day would I have been given an exit stamp or is it not possible without a Thai Visa and or a Burmese Visa?

You were refused an exit stamp because they would not have been able to allow you back into the country once you left. Seeing as you can't legally travel too far from Tachilek on the Burmese side either (without special permits) the Thai side won't let you leave in those cases.

The reason for the refusal is speculation on my part, but they have been consistently refusing to issue visa exempt stamps for the past few weeks. It likely is something to do with the recent Bangkok bombings.

If you had time left on your arrival permit, and wanted to pay for an exit and re-entry stamp, you would probably have been allowed to go.

This is somthing I have previously undertaken on two occassions October 2009 at Mae Sot and June 2010 at Mae Sai on the first ocassion I had about 10 days left on the original arrival permit on the second about 20 days just curiousity day trips to Burma this time due to illness my plans where put on hold 3weeks in the northern provinces the a week via Bangkok to Malaysia, which is why I went to Mae Sai, i don'rt think Mae Sai or Tachileik deserved any more of my time, although branching out from Mae Sai is worth the effort especially with your own transport from my previous visit. I just don't get it, Burma has no issue taking your $10 or 500baht for a day pass what's with the Thai's as for the security angle, Thailand has the lastest tech for border security they would know on re-entry you had only left that morning assumming you travel on the same passport, there is no rational other than it a money generating scheme which makes a farse of their entry system if not applied to all holders of a 30 day entry permit no matter how days remain on the original.

The situation in Thailand has changed a lot since 2010 and I disagree with the idea of it being a ‘money generating scheme’. They have been trying to cut down on all the illegal workers and individuals who try to circumvent their visa laws, which is their right to do if they wish.

• Like 1

Seems the answers are here: https://www.google.com/search?q=visa+run+thailand&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

http://www.samuitimes.com/thailand-visa-missing-mh370-behind-visa-run-crackdown-fingerprints-next/

Although it's seems chaos runs immigration in Thailand, some stories suggested I should have been ok not being in out on multiple occasion others that Chiang Rai have over reacted and so on it goes with this or that speculation, obviously Thai immigration don't have a clue either, hence the shirty responses I received when politely asking Why!

VofR You seem to be a apologist, that's nice, but I am on a short trip to SE Asia I don't appriciate losing days to administrative bedlam.

• Like 1

Thanks, but isn't a visa on arrival is a proper visa, I am not being personal, but think you may have been here a very long time and may lost something. Did you read my second post?

What you get on arrival, either at airports or land crossings, is a visa exemption.

Unless you are a citizen of the countries included in this link.

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/visa-on-arrival.php

• Like 1

It's pointless defining a visa because unless you belong to a country

in the link provided by sceadugenga, you don't have one.

You should be looking up Tourist Visa Exemption

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/55

Where it states "not required to obtain a visa".

Whether you agree with it or not, the Thai government wants people

here on a visa or extension, not doing border hops.

• Like 2

Are you responding with out considering what I previously posted in this tread?

It's OK, I got the picture; and guys at immigration are as bewildered too. They should post this to avoid questions at immigration posts.

It went out 23 June 2015.

Note posted on a Lao expat site

http://jclao.com/confirmed-visa-run-crackdown-effective-august-12-2014-thai-foreign-ministry/

post-246353-0-55531600-1444811450_thumb.

Edited by Donnchadh

Just wondering?

You were refused an exit stamp because they would not have been able to allow you back into the country once you left. Seeing as you can't legally travel too far from Tachilek on the Burmese side either (without special permits) the Thai side won't let you leave in those cases.

The reason for the refusal is speculation on my part, but they have been consistently refusing to issue visa exempt stamps for the past few weeks. It likely is something to do with the recent Bangkok bombings.

If you had time left on your arrival permit, and wanted to pay for an exit and re-entry stamp, you would probably have been allowed to go.

DC, you're right. The response, am sorry to say, is off base. An American friend of mine, who's been going to the Mae Sai border since the streets were all mud, was refused 2 days ago, to pass over to Tachilek on the 28th day of his 29 day visa-on-arrival he rec'd when he came in Bkk airport. (they call it a 30 day visa, but if you count the days, it's actually 29). My friend was going by the rules, but the Imm officer was skewing the rules, and forced him to go and spend Bt.1,900 at the Imm Office, and didn't allow him to go in to Tachilek. Another person I spoke with was not allowed to go in to Tachilek by Thai Imm authorities, but for a different reason - even tho he too was following the rules. There are other anomalies, too many to list here. In sum, it's worse than what I've been bellyaching about in previous posts on this topic:

My theory is: The Erawan bombings have the junta even more spooked and paranoid than they usually are. They're anti-farang and using Imm policies to get back. They would say they don't care if tens of thousands of resident farang turn tail and leave Thailand, but they'll sing a different tune when they see how it affects Thailand's economics. Thailand will head down to an economy on par with Laos.

On the other side of the coin, Thailand's Chinese-loving junta is making it easier for Chinese. That's ok, but Thais will find Chinese spend less per person that farang. Thai Imm is also making it a lot harder for Russians to visit/stay, but that's yet another factor.

Of the few resident farang I know in Thailand, some have left recently and some are seriously planning to leave. Visa problems aren't the only reason, but they're a factor.

You don't seem inclined to believe us so why don't you go talk to the guys at immigration and see what they have to say. They always appreciate being asked why they do things the way they do and really love being told that they're doing it all wrong.

VF: plainly stated, you're out of touch which what's been going on recently at the border crossings. I've been there half of the past 10 days with several different people. The situation at the border is chaotic. Even when farang adhere to the rules, the rules change day by day and also depending on the mood of the person at the desks. Everything is tightening up. You can talk to 5 different Imm officers and get 5 different answers to simple questions.

One possible reason for the chaos: Thai authorities don't want anyone crossing in to Burma, spending money which the Thais think could just as readily be spent in Thailand. It sounds immature, but that's actually what one of the Imm officers said to one of the farang I spoke with. She said, "Why you wan go to Burma? You can spend money for same things here in Mae Sai." Does anyone have a better reason for the weird happenings at the border?

As I said earlier in the topic, the VIP pass is discretionary, it is not a right of anyone who comes along.

The other options for leaving the country and returning, such as multiple entry visas, are still there.

I'd suggest that by far the majority of casual travelers using the crossing would be Thais on shopping trips using day passes and tourists... possibly mainly Chinese, who would only need a visa exemption stamp to return.

What the occasional farang expat looking for a couple of dodgy DVDs and bottle of duty free Scotch would spend would be minimal compared with these.

Edited by sceadugenga

I readily admit to being out of touch with the shadowy world of those who try to do an end run around the visa rules and regulations of Thailand. I have always started off with a visit to the Royal Thai Consulate in Hawaii where I filled out the forms, paid fees and followed the rules. My visa situation has changed many times over the years but it always started in the same way and I never had any problems.

I do find it entertaining to imagine a foreigner lecturing and generally trying to convince government officials they are stupid and don’t know what they are doing. I am sure Dale Carnegie would be impressed. I really have no idea where all these conspiracy theories come from. Thais don’t seem to hate me so I am confused.

Some friends and I are going to Chiang Rai next month. We want to cross over to Tachilek and check it out. Do we need a full $50 Visa to do that? Or are there day passes we can pay for at the border. We all have no issues with Thai Visas as we are retired and have Multiple Entry Visas. Thanks!!

You should just be able to cross, get a day visa in Tachilek that costs you 500B, or sometimes they will accept a nice crispy new US $10 note.

If you don't really want the stamps in your passport you can always try for a VIP pass on the Thai side, take 2 copies of the front page of your passport and 100B.

Did someone get 30 day recently ?

you can likely get 30-day extention if you renew (coming off a prior visa-on-arrival) ....BUT NOT CLOSE TO THE END OF YOUR PRIOR v-o-a. And also if it's the 1st or maybe the 2nd renewal. Even tho the law has specified for at least 20 years that a person can renew a v-o-a (at least the initial remewal) without a problem. THE LAW IS WISHY WASHY NOW. In other words, it's up to the feelings of the border authority behind the window. He/she may say yes, or may say no, depending on his/her mood, your appearance, time of day, etc. The consolation is: if the Thai border person says NO, then you can go 1 Km up to their Imm office and pay Bt.1,900 to get a renewal - and hopefully you time it for when the office is open.

Some friends and I are going to Chiang Rai next month. We want to cross over to Tachilek and check it out. Do we need a full $50 Visa to do that? Or are there day passes we can pay for at the border. We all have no issues with Thai Visas as we are retired and have Multiple Entry Visas. Thanks!!

you don't need a visa from a Bumrese embassy/consulate to enter Tachilek. If you want to venture to other Burmese states (outside of Shan State) then yes, you do need a proper visa. Note: there are online visas available, but they're not good for entering Tachilek. They're only good for entering Burma at Yangon or Mandalay.

As for day passes or VIP. As I posted a few days ago. THEY'RE NOT READILY AVAILABLE. as they used to be. The border official said they may be available in Nov, but he grinned and said 'Bangkok' and didn't really know. Again, it's a sugjective call at the Thai side. On the Burmese side, no problem - they're all good-natured and accommodating. It's the Thai side which are uptight and subjective and vacillating and mete out the rules according to their moods - and whatever directive comes out of Bkk that day/hour.

You should just be able to cross, get a day visa in Tachilek that costs you 500B, or sometimes they will accept a nice crispy new US $10 note.

If you don't really want the stamps in your passport you can always try for a VIP pass on the Thai side, take 2 copies of the front page of your passport and 100B.

day passes are doubtful now for white-skinned farang. For Chinese, I think it's easy. Not sure about Chinese-looking foreigners from Taiwan, Korea, etc. It's a toss-up.

Did someone get 30 day recently ?

you can likely get 30-day extention if you renew (coming off a prior visa-on-arrival) ....BUT NOT CLOSE TO THE END OF YOUR PRIOR v-o-a. And also if it's the 1st or maybe the 2nd renewal. Even tho the law has specified for at least 20 years that a person can renew a v-o-a (at least the initial remewal) without a problem. THE LAW IS WISHY WASHY NOW. In other words, it's up to the feelings of the border authority behind the window. He/she may say yes, or may say no, depending on his/her mood, your appearance, time of day, etc. The consolation is: if the Thai border person says NO, then you can go 1 Km up to their Imm office and pay Bt.1,900 to get a renewal - and hopefully you time it for when the office is open.

you don't need a visa from a Bumrese embassy/consulate to enter Tachilek. If you want to venture to other Burmese states (outside of Shan State) then yes, you do need a proper visa. Note: there are online visas available, but they're not good for entering Tachilek. They're only good for entering Burma at Yangon or Mandalay.

As for day passes or VIP. As I posted a few days ago. THEY'RE NOT READILY AVAILABLE. as they used to be. The border official said they may be available in Nov, but he grinned and said 'Bangkok' and didn't really know. Again, it's a sugjective call at the Thai side. On the Burmese side, no problem - they're all good-natured and accommodating. It's the Thai side which are uptight and subjective and vacillating and mete out the rules according to their moods - and whatever directive comes out of Bkk that day/hour.

day passes are doubtful now for white-skinned farang. For Chinese, I think it's easy. Not sure about Chinese-looking foreigners from Taiwan, Korea, etc. It's a toss-up.

the last time i got VOA was in mae sai in 2014 november lol and only non imigrand non O this year so now on 8 november my non O extension finish and i need 30 day , maybe i will go thai child with his thai passport so they will see i stay here for family not tourist

the last time i got VOA was in mae sai in 2014 november lol and only non imigrand non O this year so now on 8 november my non O extension finish and i need 30 day , maybe i will go thai child with his thai passport so they will see i stay here for family not tourist

I don't completely understand your situation, but (if you're traveling thru C.Rai) I suggest u go to Chiang Rai Imm office and ask them what they recommend. It might save you a frustrating r-t to Mae Sai.

for general knowledge: the hwy connecting C.Rai and Mae Sai has about 6 construction areas, so the driving time is about 150% what it normally is.

I don't completely understand your situation, but (if you're traveling thru C.Rai) I suggest u go to Chiang Rai Imm office and ask them what they recommend. It might save you a frustrating r-t to Mae Sai.

for general knowledge: the hwy connecting C.Rai and Mae Sai has about 6 construction areas, so the driving time is about 150% what it normally is.

I cant make more extension i got non O 90 day in june and in september i extend for 60 day and i need to leave thailande for have new entry and extension

I just re-read your post and noticed you said you all have multi-entry visas. I would call that a multi-entry add-on, but no matter. With those, you'all can cross over to Tachilek and back no problem. You'll get rubber stamps (4) in your passports, and it will cost $10 or Bt.500 each on the Burmese side when entering. As for 'day-pass' or 'VIP-pass' it's quite doubtful (about a 1% possibility at this time). The advantage of a day pass is; you get no rubber stamps in your passport.