Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

tayto

The guys in Maesai Immigration have a very difficult time dealing with allsorts of nationality on a daily basis. I've been going there for 6 years or more and have received the best of attention always. This year has been tricky with my marriage type visa but having spent time there today I gained an insight to the difficulty they have. For one the new regulations give them more headaches than we suffer, so much so that form filling on their side is done via a typewriter rather than a computer. They ask a question such as what is your fathers' name and if your response is 'well he died 40 years ago what the heck do you wanna know for', you are not going to get very far. Best just to answer politely and let them do the work.

I remember slipping a couple of thousand in my passport on my first visit there, thinking it was the way to do things, and it was handed back immediately.

The paperwork I gave them today ( 2 copies signed) was kept to a minimum, which they appreciate. What they do appreciate even more is to have most every document translated into Thai...marriage cert, proof of income,etc. They can read English but reading Thai doesn't give them a headache.

The single most important part of our lives here in Thailand is having the ability and permission to stay here, and I think we should be thankful to Maesai Immigration for making it possible in a very pleasant way.

If you don't believe me, go to Suan Plu Bkk.

We are very fortunate indeed up here in the north.

This is the best post I've seen in the Chiang Rai forum for a long time.

Sad :o

Sad.

Almost as sad, I suppose, as the boredom and loneliness that keeps you reading posts four months old. :o

You assume too much to criticise accurately, I think.

Oh, wait, now I see. You are the guy who made that silly comment... :D

Edited by Ajarn

Almost as sad, I suppose, as the boredom and loneliness that keeps you reading posts four months old. :o

Sad, now silly. At least my faults are easily cataloged alphabetically.

The "silly" comment I made was on a subject of considerable importance to us who live near the border. Mae Sai Immigration goes to a lot of trouble to help foreigners and is to be highly recommended for their patience and good will towards people who often are completely ignorant of the immigration and visa laws of this country and usually speak very little Thai.

I read regular complaints on this forum regarding the other immigration offices and I was merely, and I'll admit a little over effusively, trying to congratulate Oneeyed John on what I thought was a very good post.

My initial reaction was that your comment was just a childish troll and I treated it accordingly. If you took offence at this, so be it, My friend Ulysses G says you're normally a good guy so I'll take his word for it and let the matter rest with out calling you an imbecile which would be my natural reaction under the circumstances.

Sad, now silly. At least my faults are easily cataloged alphabetically.

The "silly" comment I made was on a subject of considerable importance to us who live near the border. Mae Sai Immigration goes to a lot of trouble to help foreigners and is to be highly recommended for their patience and good will towards people who often are completely ignorant of the immigration and visa laws of this country and usually speak very little Thai.

I read regular complaints on this forum regarding the other immigration offices and I was merely, and I'll admit a little over effusively, trying to congratulate Oneeyed John on what I thought was a very good post.

My initial reaction was that your comment was just a childish troll and I treated it accordingly. If you took offence at this, so be it, My friend Ulysses G says you're normally a good guy so I'll take his word for it and let the matter rest with out calling you an imbecile which would be my natural reaction under the circumstances.

My, what a hissy fit you try to to give. :D

The reason I wrote 'sad' as a comment was that I saw it as sad that you haven't read any better letters regarding Mae Sai Immigration. There have been many good letters printed here over the years, but in my opinion, your friends letter wasn't one of them. His letter didn't tell us anything new or interesting.

The reason I wrote 'sad' as a comment was that I saw it as sad that you haven't read any better letters regarding Mae Sai Immigration. There have been many good letters printed here over the years, but in my opinion, your friends letter wasn't one of them. His letter didn't tell us anything new or interesting.

It was interesting enough.

Someone is getting awfully cantankerous in his old age. :o

Not to worry, at least you've got yourself together enough to construct a readable sentence.

My, what a hissy fit you try to to give. didn't quite get there. :o

Edited by sceadugenga

And getting back on topic and away from personal comments about each other.

thanks

CB

Been over for ages Crow Boy, you should check the forum more than once a week. :o:D

The post I was replying to was written on the 25th and I replied on the 27th sorry but having a birthday interupted the time I normally spend on line. Is that ok with you?

CB

And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen....a veritable literary tempest in a teapot!

Any who (yeah I know I really said that- this is an advanced form of language deconstruction....not destruction) you've all worked it out now.

So any more comments on Mai Sai Imm and it's wonderfulness or lack thereof, or should I close this puppy?

The OP should really have been moved to the pinned Mae Sai/Tachilek border information thread anyway. I'll admit stuff tends to disappear up there, (the thread, not Mae Sai), but at least it seems to be more immune to passing trolls with no interest in the subject and nothing to contribute. :o

Sceadugenga... in "being good" mode.

The guys in Maesai Immigration have a very difficult time dealing with allsorts of nationality on a daily basis. I've been going there for 6 years or more and have received the best of attention always. This year has been tricky with my marriage type visa but having spent time there today I gained an insight to the difficulty they have. For one the new regulations give them more headaches than we suffer, so much so that form filling on their side is done via a typewriter rather than a computer. They ask a question such as what is your fathers' name and if your response is 'well he died 40 years ago what the heck do you wanna know for', you are not going to get very far. Best just to answer politely and let them do the work.

I remember slipping a couple of thousand in my passport on my first visit there, thinking it was the way to do things, and it was handed back immediately.

The paperwork I gave them today ( 2 copies signed) was kept to a minimum, which they appreciate. What they do appreciate even more is to have most every document translated into Thai...marriage cert, proof of income,etc. They can read English but reading Thai doesn't give them a headache.

The single most important part of our lives here in Thailand is having the ability and permission to stay here, and I think we should be thankful to Maesai Immigration for making it possible in a very pleasant way.

If you don't believe me, go to Suan Plu Bkk.

We are very fortunate indeed up here in the north.

this thread should get back on topic

The OP should really have been moved to the pinned Mae Sai/Tachilek border information thread anyway. I'll admit stuff tends to disappear up there, (the thread, not Mae Sai), but at least it seems to be more immune to passing trolls with no interest in the subject and nothing to contribute. :o

Sceadugenga... in "being good" mode.

As suggested I have merged the two threads - I think this one adds to the main thread and it is good to keep the information "up front"

cheers

CB

• 2 weeks later...

IN THE LIGHT OF THE RECENT TROUBLES, CAN WE STILL ENTER BURMA/MYANMAR FROM THE CHANG RAI BOARDER?

I WAS GOING TO BOOK A FLIGHT AND VISIT THE DVD MARKET FOR AN HOUR. I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF IT IS STILL POSSIBLE TO ENTER. IF IT IS POSSIBLE, HOW MUCH IS IT NOW?

THANKS

PERSON FULL OF CONTEMPT FOR GOD.

IN THE LIGHT OF THE RECENT TROUBLES, CAN WE STILL ENTER BURMA/MYANMAR FROM THE CHANG RAI BOARDER?

I WAS GOING TO BOOK A FLIGHT AND VISIT THE DVD MARKET FOR AN HOUR. I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF IT IS STILL POSSIBLE TO ENTER. IF IT IS POSSIBLE, HOW MUCH IS IT NOW?

THANKS

PERSON FULL OF CONTEMPT FOR GOD.

Sorry, Jerking-gently, I seem to have missed this post.

Yes, the border is open.

A very painless run to Mai Sae today.

The media that shall not be mentioned are at an all time low of 40B.

The Thai Immigration Officer smiled upon me and gave me an extra three months on my Non Im B that expires tomorrow and on the way home my insurance agent knocked a thousand off my annual car insurance.

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'

He chortled in his joy.

• 1 month later...