Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

tayto

4 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

I've known him through the forum for many years, I'd say he goes for long walks or rides his bike.

All pretty harmless.

You can only stay in the town , cannot go more than a few K's , due to road blocks and security and not a proper visa

On 8/7/2017 at 6:21 PM, sanemax said:

Why do you keep going there , or can you not say why, on here ?

Some of us with certain visas ,mine a M-O ,have to cross a border every 3 months .For me living in Chiang mai ,Mae sai is the nearest .

Not much, it's the usual dodgy tack you find in most border town markets.

I'd imagine that the shonky DVDs would have lost popularity with the ease of downloading media these days.

The duty free store opposite immigration is always worth a look if you drink.

I usually go home with bags of cashews and pistachio nuts from the MaeSai side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

Not much, it's the usual dodgy tack you find in most border town markets.

I'd imagine that the shonky DVDs would have lost popularity with the ease of downloading media these days.

The duty free store opposite immigration is always worth a look if you drink.

I usually go home with bags of cashews and pistachio nuts from the MaeSai side.

Yes ,and their selection was far less last time i visited .Anyway i will scout around and maybe something will catch my eye .

• Like 1

On 8/7/2017 at 6:30 PM, sanemax said:

You can only stay in the town , cannot go more than a few K's , due to road blocks and security and not a proper visa

More than a few times, I've skirted around border patrol kiosks at the edges of town.  It's mostly for the little thrill of doing it.  One time recently, I strolled for 2 hours through hills NW of Tachilek and it was nothing by rubber trees.  Barely anything else growing for dozens of acres of hills.  They must spray chemi heavily to keep down weeds.  It was somewhat depressing, when there's but one viewable species in such a vast area.  Methinks it was a Burmese general who came along, maybe 20 yrs ago, and just commandeered the hills, and put in a million rubber trees. I only saw 3 people in 2 hours, and they were just gathering sticks for firewood.

On 8/8/2017 at 10:38 PM, anto said:

Anything worth buying in TACHILEK market these day ? Some thing significantly cheaper than in Chiang mai .

If a person is in to wild animal parts, there are still some vendors for those.  No more full tiger or leopard pelts (not on public display, anyway), but lots of dried bear bile sacks, tiger teeth (probably dog teeth), pieces of large cat hide, Buffalo horn, and what looks like baby elephant tusks.   20 years ago, when there were tiger skins hanging at the market, I took some photos and posted them online.  Not surprisingly, the vendors looked at me angrily while I was taking pics.   3 months after the photos went online (with commentary) no more pelts were displayed openly.  Perhaps Burmese authorities got shamed into shutting it down to some extent.   Next step: the aforementioned bear bile sacks, and tiger teeth.   

My Burmese friend, Slim, told me about an Englishman who he guided, who was searching to buy monkey skulls.  Yuk!    Another guy, from Indonesia, contacted Slim about rosewood lumber.  Of course, rosewood is a highly restricted item, but Chinese businessmen are desperate for all sorts of restricted items.  The Indonesian was hired by a Chinese company to get rosewood from Shan State - by any means, ...money was no problem.   Note: I saw a photo of a nice double bed online, made from rosewood.  Price:  $1 million !  It wasn't antique, but it had 4 posts, like what a rich man would buy for his princess daughter.    A cubic meter of rosewood planks can cost up to us$60,000 !    

A hill tribe friend of mine, in Thailand, near Hoy Mae Sai, says he knows of a giant rosewood tree near his village.  He knows I have access to a chainsaw with a long bar (and know how to use it).  At first, I was interested, but more recently, I've advised him not to cut it down.  It can serve as a mother tree for seedlings.   There's a very large rosewood tree at the Thai side near Laos.    It has a permanent 24-hr guard of Thai soldiers camped there.  The guards' sole duty:  make sure the tree doesn't get cut down.

• 2 weeks later...

in today's Nation newspaper, article on Mae Sai and Tachilek flooding...

nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324182

I'm going to Tachilek monday, but am not worried.  I've only seen the crossing bridge closed once in the past 20 yrs, and that was when water was actually lapping over the bridge road, and that was only for a half day.  One of the photos gave an idea of the extent of today's flooding, and the water level appears to be several meters below the bridge roadway.  It's small solace for the dozens of vendors who have been flooded, but it's no impediment for border crossers.

also; I recently got an online visa for Burma. It was us$50 and rather painless process.  If applying, you'll need a passport-like photo of your face, on computer file (.jpg).   When the online visas were initially introduced, about 1.5 yrs ago, they only allowed entry at Yangon or Mandalay.  Now they allow entry at Tachilek (and a few other border crossings).

Still no re-instatement of day-only 'VIP passes'.  The Burmese authorities would like them, but the restriction is from Thai Imm authorities.  My opinion, for the reason they're banned is:  Thais figure tourists can buy anything on the Thai side, so they want to forbid tourists from going over for the day.  Thai authorities, in their great wisdom, are afraid tourists will spend money in Tachilek, that would be spent in Mai Sai.  It's primitive (thinking that tourists are only about spending money, and nothing else), but it's what we've come to expect from brain-addled Thai authorities.

One exception:  Chinese tourists in groups are allowed to do day-trips.  Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 7:57 AM, boomerangutang said:

in today's Nation newspaper, article on Mae Sai and Tachilek flooding...

nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324182

I'm going to Tachilek monday, but am not worried.  I've only seen the crossing bridge closed once in the past 20 yrs, and that was when water was actually lapping over the bridge road, and that was only for a half day.  One of the photos gave an idea of the extent of today's flooding, and the water level appears to be several meters below the bridge roadway.  It's small solace for the dozens of vendors who have been flooded, but it's no impediment for border crossers.

also; I recently got an online visa for Burma. It was us$50 and rather painless process.  If applying, you'll need a passport-like photo of your face, on computer file (.jpg).   When the online visas were initially introduced, about 1.5 yrs ago, they only allowed entry at Yangon or Mandalay.  Now they allow entry at Tachilek (and a few other border crossings).

Still no re-instatement of day-only 'VIP passes'.  The Burmese authorities would like them, but the restriction is from Thai Imm authorities.  My opinion, for the reason they're banned is:  Thais figure tourists can buy anything on the Thai side, so they want to forbid tourists from going over for the day.  Thai authorities, in their great wisdom, are afraid tourists will spend money in Tachilek, that would be spent in Mai Sai.  It's primitive (thinking that tourists are only about spending money, and nothing else), but it's what we've come to expect from brain-addled Thai authorities.

One exception:  Chinese tourists in groups are allowed to do day-trips.  Go figure.

Have a bit of comment and question re above.   Went up about 10 days ago and had Immig on Burma side ask the usual...." going into Tachilek or just turn around?  I answered that I was going into the market .  The Immig. lady's next question gave me pause for thought..... She asked if I was coming back today.   I said, "don't I have to "?? She said no.  I then asked how long I could stay.... she stated 14 days.   Anybody encounter as as expat crossing without a formal visa, being able to stay for up to 14 days???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gonzo the Face said:

Have a bit of comment and question re above.   Went up about 10 days ago and had Immig on Burma side ask the usual...." going into Tachilek or just turn around?  I answered that I was going into the market .  The Immig. lady's next question gave me pause for thought..... She asked if I was coming back today.   I said, "don't I have to "?? She said no.  I then asked how long I could stay.... she stated 14 days.   Anybody encounter as as expat crossing without a formal visa, being able to stay for up to 14 days???

They have always given 14 day visa at the border .

(Yeah, yeah , yeah probably Visa exempts, permission to stay etc etc )

What every they give you allows to ti stay their for 14 days .

Most people dont stay for the night, so they just stamp you in and out at the same time

• 1 month later...

Hi 

I'm entering thailand with a 60 day tourist visa.

I used to do a VIP visit to Burma before it stopped and I'd like to visit Tachilek again.

It may be my last chance as I'm 74

Can you confirm that I can get a re entry permit in Chiang Rai Administrative centre. 

If I get the re entry permit I take it I get the remainder of my 60 days and not just the 15 on re entring Thailand?  I'm traveling on an Irish passport.

Thanks

Thomas

10 hours ago, thomasrussell said:

Hi 

I'm entering thailand with a 60 day tourist visa.

I used to do a VIP visit to Burma before it stopped and I'd like to visit Tachilek again.

It may be my last chance as I'm 74

Can you confirm that I can get a re entry permit in Chiang Rai Administrative centre. 

If I get the re entry permit I take it I get the remainder of my 60 days and not just the 15 on re entring Thailand?  I'm traveling on an Irish passport.

Thanks

Thomas

Please post this as a new topic in the Visa Forum which is HERE

• 1 month later...

Feature article in most recent National Geographic (online edition):

It's about a troubling trend happening in NE Burma (primarily Shan State).  An increasing # of elephants are being killed for their skin.   Those damned Chinese again - driving the market for animals parts.  Chinese are contributing more, en masse, to the extinction of great wild beasts, than the rest of the world combined - and I include bush meat eaters in Africa.

news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/wildlife-watch-asian-elephant-skin-poaching-myanmar/

There are some vendors in Tachilek who sell wild animal body parts.  Here's what I suggest:  when you see a display of such things, confront the vendor.   Also: take photos, and post them online.   That's what I did in 1999, when I saw tiger skins hanging at vendor booths Tachilek.  3 months later, the skins weren't displayed.  Were they all sold?  Were they hidden, and only shown to buyers clandestinely? We don't know.   But public pressure may have some, albeit small, effect.   ....though it's hard to counter the power of money coming from rich Chinese.   

Note: normally, large male elephants were killed for their tusks.  That still happens.  However, with the current craze for elephant skin, ....all elephants, including females and babies, are killed.  Disgusting.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

If anyone wants to go hiking in Tachilek, let me know.  I know some nice 2 hour hikes. 

West of Tachilek are trails which meander thru the hills, with no houses, wires, fences, noise, roads, ....just one hill tribe village.

North of town, there are some pleasant hike trails.

It differs a bit from Thailand - which is more modern, noisy, and built-up.

Also; there's a possible float-down-a-river, starting in the town of Tukay (5 miles north of Tachilek).  I haven't done it yet, but it looks plausible.  Am planning to do some research.  One idea is to fasten 4 or 6 truck innertubes together with a plywood deck.  If you don't hear from me in weeks, I may be fish-food in some Burmese river.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

some observations:   I'm writing this from a hotel in Tachilek.  river is v. muddy - more than the usual muddy.  My guess; there's a lot of earth-moving up-river.  earth moving all around Tachilek - similar to Chiang Rai.  much of that are rich Chinese who want an escape valve if China goes thru major calamity, as it does every few decades (famine, civil war, buried under pollution, int'l war, banking crisis, or....).

If the bosses at Tachilek had any care for the environment, they would consider building a promenade along the river, and one or two parks.   Again, it's similar to Chiang Rai in that way.

• 2 months later...

A man came into my bungalow on the thai side when I stayed over night on a visa run. It was in the day while I was in there. Tiny hut right facing the river

i said can I help you? And he just stared at me. Then walked out. Just a story that I never forgot.

lock your doors esp of sleeping or at night

• 1 month later...

Just a word of advice, apparently a number of incorrect entries have been made in the Chiang Rai Immigration computer.

So if the coppers turn up waving handcuffs stay calm, show your passport and ask them to ring CR Immigration.

They may have worked it out by now after dropping into my place today. ?

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Just got back from the border (90 day report)
Biometrics installed ( fingerprints as you leave and re-enter)
I wished i had known, i had shaky hands from not drinking!
Never mind,i was just honest with them and was slightly embarrassed.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And here is the update. Biometrics confirmed (at great risk).

2070456006_DSC_3208(Medium).JPG.a7a76887f5e76029f9dcf8a35492304f.JPG

Border today was packed with cars going and coming. About 8 in queue to go out.

398464166_DSC_3206(Medium).JPG.14f0cca16d594de66b81846ce202c4ba.JPG

853459536_DSC_3207(Medium).JPG.e0f0f039a122fb9d98b5f07926901e58.JPG

If you have not been scanned entering Thailand, then you do not scan going out.

THAT CHANGES coming back. You are scanned entering Thailand.

Myanmar Immigration. Now they give you a receipt, if you go shopping. Otherwise, they pocket the 500 baht.

SUGGESTION: If you are at the tail end of tons of Chinese, jump the line, go to the front and signal in and out and they stamp you quickly.

1442030173_DSC_3209(Medium).JPG.3db7f1273cf406a0779b70cb5db50c8a.JPG

Again, tons of cars going in to Myanmar and out.

292335829_DSC_3210(Medium).JPG.fd6ae7d916f9ca598e738b561df3f28f.JPG

Enjoy the view!!! No smoke except the occasional farm fires (yep, they never learn).

810014833_DSC_3203(Medium).JPG.5bee195a3822b2e2bbf735646c3195ea.JPG

Biometrics coming in. A Thai worker-bee is there cleaning the scanner after every victim. She tells you to put 4 fingers on from the right, then 4 from the left and then two thumbs.

I was questioned what my job was (Non O multiple entry London, did not show my work permit and told them visiting friends at a hotel). For occupation, I said P.E.E. to show off my passive-aggressive society rebel part of me). She asked what that was. I told her that a PEE services customers at hotels and I am a PEE. She looks at the male immigration and he shrugs his shoulders. I get stamped in. (PEE...... very bad very bad. I have to go to church if I have explain it). Last E is extraordinaire.5555555

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1