Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

tayto

On 6/20/2019 at 2:38 PM, Somtamnication said:

And here is the update. Biometrics confirmed (at great risk).

Yep,went from CM to Maesai today .

Had to show my passport twice when buying bus tickets .

Three photo recognition photos taken at the border .

14 fingers on the finger-printer scanner ........and my buses got stopped and searched four times .

On 6/21/2019 at 9:38 AM, Gonzo the Face said:

Did you happen to see anyone who was disabled? Photos do not look as if area is wheelchair friendly.

No and that is due to the fact that I was  not paying attention. Sorry for that. I do know that they cattle fence we have to go through IS NOT wheelchair friendly. As you have to cross the street after Thail immigration and go through another cattle fence on the right side of the walking bridge is also too narrow and wheeling on the street is a death trap.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2019 at 9:38 AM, Gonzo the Face said:

Did you happen to see anyone who was disabled? Photos do not look as if area is wheelchair friendly.

I specifically checked and definitely not wheelchair friendly.

Doing a visa run to get my next 90 days on Non O -ME was super fast though. Both coming and going female IO. The lady while checking out super friendly. The lady when coming in didnt say a word. Stamped in and out of Myanmar at the same desk and payed 500THB. 

With the queue and writing the departure card, in and out in 20minutes.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 1:01 AM, sanemax said:

Yep,went from CM to Maesai today .

Had to show my passport twice when buying bus tickets .

Three photo recognition photos taken at the border .

14 fingers on the finger-printer scanner ........and my buses got stopped and searched four times .

WHat bus ? Probably Greenbus.

I think it's better to take one of the mini vans from CHiang Rai to MaeSai that leave from the bus station, they go by the name Diamond, I believe. 50 baht

fewer passengers to check, mostly local Thai, usually no Burmese passengers who are under extrascrutiny, and the van goes faster.

man with a van usually takes an hour

To the other poster

you either have to pay 500 baht or 10 dollars, they have US dollar change,

so you can come up with a hundred 

lastly, the border closes at 9pm now.

Edited by Krupps
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

This is posted elsewhere on the forum and also on the Thaivisa FaceBook page.

The land border at Mae Sai - Tachiliek has stopped allowing people to bounce out and back by buying a day pass (500baht/$10USD) and now require a person to hold a valid VISA to Myanmar BEFORE you can stamp out and back at that border.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 10:22 AM, KHY0307 said:

Does any one know if Mae sai has scooter monthly rental ?

I used to rent a scooter for a few days from the Honda Dealer 'Greenwing' on the main road, you could try them

I also rented from a chap on Thetsaban 21 after the arcade on the left side but cannot see his place now on street view so I reckon Greenwing is your best bet

On 5/21/2022 at 9:41 AM, Mickeem said:

I used to rent a scooter for a few days from the Honda Dealer 'Greenwing' on the main road, you could try them

I also rented from a chap on Thetsaban 21 after the arcade on the left side but cannot see his place now on street view so I reckon Greenwing is your best bet

thanks mate!

May i ask do you rmb how much did it cost for the rental?

• 4 weeks later...

According to the official Burma government web page Mae Sai/Tachileik border is open but haven't seen any local reports about this. Can anyone living that way confirm either way please.

Currently, passengers with eVisa are only permitted to enter via following ports:

1. Yangon International Airport
  2. Mandalay International Airport
  3. Nay Pyi Taw International Airport
  4. Tachileik Land Border Checkpoint
  5. Myawaddy Land Border Checkpoint
  6. Kawthaung Land Border Checkpoint
  7. Tamu Land Border Checkpoint
  8. Rih Khaw Dar Land Border Checkpoint

https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/Home/NoticeToTourist

• 3 months later...

What is the status of the MaeSai/Tachileik border crossing?  A friend told me it is currently flooded, but there is also some issue between the two governments that will keep it closed after the water goes down.  Is that true?

I couldn't find anything on the internet.  Any info is appreciated.

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

What is the status of the MaeSai/Tachileik border crossing?  A friend told me it is currently flooded, but there is also some issue between the two governments that will keep it closed after the water goes down.  Is that true?

I couldn't find anything on the internet.  Any info is appreciated.

It's still closed to foreigners, border hops.

27 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Myanmar in civil war is nothing new.  The border has stayed open through much of it.

Border was closed due to Covid and remains closed due to the civil war which started when the junta took over early 2021. Is that correct?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Border was closed due to Covid and remains closed due to the civil war which started when the junta took over early 2021. Is that correct?

Myanmar has been in a civil war for most of its existence as Myanmar, and the Mae Sai border crossing has been open most of the past 20+ years.  Why should the latest coup keep it closed now?

I know the current status is that the border is closed.  Now that Covid is no longer being treated as an emergency, does anyone know if there are plans to open the border?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Mae Sai / Tachileik border crossing has reopened.  According to officials (as yet unconfirmed by myself) both Thai and foreigners can obtain "temporary passes" to cross into Tachileik for tourism/shopping.  It that is true, and the passes are similar to what Thai citizens have enjoyed before everything closed-up (but not available to foreigners then), it will be a huge step forward.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still closed to foreigners - Thai and Myanmar citizens permitted to cross (and will be for the foreseeable futrure, according to border-area Immigration Police).  Nothing to do with any diseases.  Some people have said it is a Thai response to the on-going civil war... I doubt it.  More like a Thai response to cross-border shopping....

• Like 1