BANGKOK 23 May 2019 18:43
Sign in to follow this  
Crimson

International School Salary......

Hi everyone!

I'm so happy I found this forum! I have a zillion questions, but I'll start with this one for now....

I moved here from the U.S. to help start an international school. I have four years of teaching experience plus a Master's in education. I currently get paid about 94,000 baht per month, and in March I will receive a raise that will put me over 100,000 baht per month. My housing is completely paid for, as is my medical insurance and visa stuff, and I get a free round-trip ticket. Plus my employers frequently feed me :)

I was just wondering--for all of you working in international schools--whether or not my salary is equivalent to what other teachers in the larger international schools (ISB, Ruamrudee, etc.) are making. My role is a hybrid teacher/administrator role. We are just getting started and currently do not have many students, but I work very hard, only get 1.5 days off per week, and get very few holidays. I just wanted to make sure that I'm getting paid accurately because it is IMPOSSIBLE to find information about salaries from the schools themselves!!! They will only reveal that information if you are serious about applying for a job. Plus I have not yet met any other teachers out here who can give me a basis for comparison.

Any insight that anyone can provide would be MUCH appreciated!! It's also helpful for me to know this information for when we start recruiting other teachers. Thanks!!

I was speaking to a friend at Harrow international school last week - they get a lot more than 100,000 a month. You're being ripped off.

Moved to the teaching in Thailand forum

///MOVED///

Hi everyone!

I'm so happy I found this forum! I have a zillion questions, but I'll start with this one for now....

I moved here from the U.S. to help start an international school. I have four years of teaching experience plus a Master's in education. I currently get paid about 94,000 baht per month, and in March I will receive a raise that will put me over 100,000 baht per month. My housing is completely paid for, as is my medical insurance and visa stuff, and I get a free round-trip ticket. Plus my employers frequently feed me :o

I was just wondering--for all of you working in international schools--whether or not my salary is equivalent to what other teachers in the larger international schools (ISB, Ruamrudee, etc.) are making. My role is a hybrid teacher/administrator role. We are just getting started and currently do not have many students, but I work very hard, only get 1.5 days off per week, and get very few holidays. I just wanted to make sure that I'm getting paid accurately because it is IMPOSSIBLE to find information about salaries from the schools themselves!!! They will only reveal that information if you are serious about applying for a job. Plus I have not yet met any other teachers out here who can give me a basis for comparison.

Any insight that anyone can provide would be MUCH appreciated!! It's also helpful for me to know this information for when we start recruiting other teachers. Thanks!!

Hi, it's Crimson again......

I have a few more questions: At these various international schools (that clearly pay more than what I'm getting...sheesh.....), is housing included?? Do teachers have to pay taxes?? Are teachers paid during the summer??

Thanks for including these specifics in your responses!! I want to be as certain about my figures as possible when I a) gently ask for my raise to be increased a little further, and :D suggest what we should pay teachers that we recruit from the States.

Thanks!!!!

Your job seems more of an administrator than a classroom teacher. My daughter's M.Ed. in administration/supervision qualifies her to be a (vice)principal, where she'd make far, far more than her current US$4,200 per month. How much can housing be worth: 12,000 baht?

I encourage our readers to contribute hard numbers, but that won't be easy. If you think men lie about sex, ask them what their salary is.

Of course, most international schools don't come close to ISB and Harrow's.

If you think men lie about sex, ask them what their salary is.

:D:o

What about women lying about how much they spend on clothes????

If you were ONLY teaching, and had very little experience or seniority, 120K plus a whole slew of benefits would be a good offer. Your past experience and the extra administrative duties call for more. You should be making at least 200K a month, by my estimation, if they are serious about being a real "international" school- after all, the other employees with less experience and no administrative duties should be making less than you, and if they have the right resume they should be asking for 120K. Sorry to say, it's clearly not a real international school you're working at- but from your brief description it has all the hallmarks of a Thai-run private school that will likely collapse into mediocrity (or collapse entirely) soon.

Hi everyone!

Hi, it's Crimson again......

I have a few more questions: At these various international schools (that clearly pay more than what I'm getting...sheesh.....), is housing included?? Do teachers have to pay taxes?? Are teachers paid during the summer??

Thanks for including these specifics in your responses!! I want to be as certain about my figures as possible when I a) gently ask for my raise to be increased a little further, and :o suggest what we should pay teachers that we recruit from the States.

Thanks!!!!

Of the I.S. school teachers I know,

Housing is an additional 25K allowance above their salary.

They pay taxes.

They are paid the same 12 months a year.

Edited by sriracha john

A friend from Iowa came through Chiang Mai recently and I think he said that in the USA, school superintendents often earn more than $200K per year (plus lots of benefits). That's 560,000 baht per month! However, the OP here has only taught 5 years, and we don't know if he has any training or experience in supervision/administration. Nor, whether such experience would actually be used in a new 'more or less, sort of, international school' in Thailand.

120+???

I've been here a while, and from the people I know salaries are around 80,000. There are only a few 'real' international schools here. If the salaries are really that much then there are a lot of schools that will be losing staff fast, when they read this thread and realise what others are getting paid.

Next year I will begin a two-year part-time teaching course in Australia.

I have a four-year bachelor, a master’s and a celta...with the teacher’s course and western educator’s license, I will be fully qualified to teach english literature, social science and legal studies.

There is talk in this thread of qualified teacher’s salaries...what of newly qualified teachers, so, teacher’s without experience?

Is there work available? Will I have a chance of finding employment in the recognized international schools in Thailand? In approaching these schools as a qualified teacher without experience, can I barter, negotiate a lower salary in order to gain employment?

If, once qualified, I take work in a second tier international school in Thailand and teach for one or two years, will the higher status schools recognise this experience?

Next year I hope to complete my four-week practicum in a recognised international school in Thailand, can anyone advise me, and offer support in this endeavor?

ed

Couldn't agree more!!!! Mine is 12" long :D

This has got to be a troll. If its not I have never read such bo**ocks in a long time :D

120+???

I've been here a while, and from the people I know salaries are around 80,000. There are only a few 'real' international schools here. If the salaries are really that much then there are a lot of schools that will be losing staff fast, when they read this thread and realise what others are getting paid.

the operative word here is "real"... and for them it's actually often higher than 120K.

for PB's very descriptive 'more or less, sort of, international school' in Thailand... 80K or even lower