Exportation

bluegirl72

Curious to know what it would take to start up an exporting company, SMALL scale, exporting Thai silks, Thai fabric in general. I have a degree in textile design thus know LOTS about the fabric side, have used thai-silk exclusively when working on my own fabric designing, and I know of a few places that would love to have these fabrics. My husband and I are throwing around this idea, starting a busines that exports the silk.

Links as well as resources that would help in our research would be great! We are presently living in Bangkok, I am a teacher here.

Cheers,

bluegirl72 & nisei23

Curious to know what it would take to start up an exporting company, SMALL scale, exporting Thai silks, Thai fabric in general. I have a degree in textile design thus know LOTS about the fabric side, have used thai-silk exclusively when working on my own fabric designing, and I know of a few places that would love to have these fabrics. My husband and I are throwing around this idea, starting a busines that exports the silk.

Links as well as resources that would help in our research would be great! We are presently living in Bangkok, I am a teacher here.

Cheers,

bluegirl72 & nisei23

I have been exporting silk for the last year. Only small scale though. Before i started exporting i know nothing about silk and have no knowledge of textile design. All i need to know is the right people to approach and then i can sell. I guess i make about 6000 baht per month on average. It's not much but it's really more of a past time than a business, (for now!).

With your knowledge you should be able to do a much better job than me.

Good luck to both of you.

To do this professionally, you have to set up a company first and register it with Thai customs. The latter is easy, for setting up a company check this forum, a vast amount of info around here. If you are not Thai you will also need a work permit, again, lots of info in this forum.

For the export as such: As long as the shipments are rather small try courier services, from 50 kg onwards check with a freight forwarder.

• 1 month later...

Cheers,

bluegirl72 & nisei23

Be very careful about small scale business because the Thai government wants its "cut" of anything you do and that includes witholding tax on a salary whether you actually make a salary or not, VAT, and your virtual office that is required to have a registered company unless you actually lease an office space and hire staff which is another whole headache. I am a one person company doing business thru my laptop and it costs me over $300.00USD per month for all these fees and you also have to hire legal/accounting firm to process all the paperwork monthly unless you read and speak Thai fluently. Read thru all the forums and heed the warnings because it is not as easy as it should be which is why I am returning to the west. Good luck...

• 4 weeks later...

I have been exporting silk for the last year. Only small scale though. Before i started exporting i know nothing about silk and have no knowledge of textile design. All i need to know is the right people to approach and then i can sell. I guess i make about 6000 baht per month on average. It's not much but it's really more of a past time than a business, (for now!).

With your knowledge you should be able to do a much better job than me.

Good luck to both of you.

Did you source your customers in your home country? Can it be done over the internet?