BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Limbo

Community Events in Chiang Rai

This topic is meant to be the medium we use to inform each other about all kind of exciting, uplifting and mind-expanding spectacles which take place in Chiang Rai.

It will be a mixture of things we absolutely shouldn't miss and things we missed.

Brotherly united these categories will give us an idea about social, cultural and normal life in Chiang Rai :o .

Limbo.

Rice harvest.....loads of fun for the entire family!!! It's free....and....you don't have to wait in line!!!

Soybean planting will be in the first half of January so talk to you local farmer now to confirm a date and pencil it in on the calendar today!!!

Yeah, rice harvest. Thanks chownah, you mentioned it once or twice before, I think. :o

Any specific location worth travelling to in your opinion? :D:D

Soybean planting? Do farmers have a specific date for this? :D

Let me know, so I can make an online reservation. :D

Not much happening in Chiang Rai today....except for the biggest event in all of Thailand at this time of the year....RICE HARVEST!!!

Once again, the rice harvest is the most exciting thing happening in Chiang Rai today....Enjoy!!!!

The last two days, Nov 25-26, saw the Handy Indy fest in the square with over 1000 people enjoying music, theater, crafts, art and workshops primarily provided by youth. It was very refreshing and serendipitous. I hope you folks got out to see it.

:o

Is there anything else like this planned?

My girl friend (who speaks thai) and I spent the morning looking for a listing of events in CR for today...SUnday..but no luck. So I guess that CR doesn't have a daily newspaper which would list events. The tourism office is out of that monthly tourist magazine....

So where do folks go to read about the events in town? We saw the sunday bicycle club rolling by...but they must be listed somewhere....

Puzzled...in paradise... :o

We've got 3 days in the area before we head back to CM...anymore festivals or interesting events this week?

Thanks.

So where do folks go to read about the events in town? We saw the sunday bicycle club rolling by...but they must be listed somewhere....

It might have been 'The Chiang Rai Bicycle Club For Health'.

I think they ride Sunday morning and Wednesday evening.

For information:

'For Lens Travel' (travel and much more) agencies.

Crossing Mae Kon (Paholyothin Rd/Superhighway), the colorfull building.

The Chief is Khun Choosak Traisrisin.

I became a member long time ago, but didn't ride with them for at least three years. They were too slow (whole families). And they started extremely early on the Sunday morning, too early for me.

But I didn't get faster either through the years, so I might join them again. I hope they start a little bit later now.

Limbo.

So where do folks go to read about the events in town?  We saw the sunday bicycle club rolling by...but they must be listed somewhere....

Banners over and along the streets are the best source of information.

And mouth to mouth.

Limbo.

I guess the rice harvest is still the most exciting thing happening in Chiang Rai province......but time is running out so better get out there and "get it while you can" as Janis Joplin used to sing. In our little part of the provinced all the rice is tied and stacked....all that is left is the threshing. Some will be done by hand and some will be done with a big threshing machine that slogs from field to field and turns a few days of manual fun into a few hours of motorized ecstacy with a loud moaning sound as it runs and rice straw spewing up to 10 metres in the air and forming an old style hay stack its sure to be a big hit with the kids...so be sure to bring them along.

Farmers east of Mae Jaan said this year they expected to bring in B40,000 (before my wife made a big purchase...) while last year they got B100,000. Then my wife's mother said the rice wasn't so good. Any idea why last year was better than this? :o

Farmers east of Mae Jaan said this year they expected to bring in B40,000 (before my wife made a big purchase...) while last year they got B100,000.  Then my wife's mother said the rice wasn't so good.  Any idea why last year was better than this? :o

In my neighborhood everyone had a problem with the kao chow (for steamed rice). I haven't threshed mine yet but it will yield half of what it did last year if we're lucky...it had some problem....maybe a bug. The kao neaw (for sticky rice) did fine. Maybe the farmers you heard about were all raising kao chow.

Quite right, though I didn't know that term khao chow. Only use the terms khao suai and khao-neao. My wife also said the sticky stuff did fine. I was wondering, though, as the farmers behind my house only put out their rice late in the season (and are still harvesting it!) and I thought the rains started early and lasted long without being voluminous... don't know anything about agriculture beyond simple gardening, but as I live here... anyway, thanks for the response!