Community Events in Chiang Rai

Limbo

Saturday 10 December about five kilometers after Ban Lao (on the road from Wiang Chai to Chiang Khong, about 33 kms from town) there is a Tantawan event.

Enormeous fields with blossoming sunflowers, not the Mexican ones but the BIG ones. Thai-boxing, music, dance, trips on rot-i-teng and all this sprinkled with alcoholic refreshments. They have snacks, ice-water and coke as well.

This year the festival is 28, 29 and 30 December.

It is a little bit later than last year, so I hope the sunflowers will still blossom.

The reason that it is late might be that there were some uncertainties about who would pocket the money. The money is coming out of the provincial budget. It seems that this problem finally got solved.

It's really worth a visit. Especially the trip on a rot-i-teng (Thai farmers truck, sounding like teng-teng-teng) through the sunflower fields is an unforgettable experience. There is a stage, where musicians perform on the rythm of the movements of some scarcely dressed young ladies (or the other way around). Later on the day you can witness young kids, young ladies and young gentlemen punch each others noses and kicking each other in a boxing ring. Some of the fights seem real as people are betting on the outcome. A lot of food stands and places to buy fruit juice and other drinks. Yes, also beer and wissekey.

For five Baht you can dance as well. Ladies are provided with.

A nice trip for the afternoon. After dark it is better to be out, because it happens sometimes that people, slightly under the influence of some alcoholic refreshments, start to punch each others noses even outside the boxing ring.

As I said before: It's really worth a visit :D

How to go there:

You go through the ceremonial gate with the portrait of His Majesty at Hi Yek (Por Khun or King Mengrai, direction Family House and Sportstadium)) to the next village at about six kilometers. It is called Ban Panjamorn. There you take to the left at the end of the village. You will see signs pointing in the direction of Waterford Valley, the golf course, just follow these.

(after two kilometers you have to take to the right, some hundred meters before arriving at the dam in the Kok River, the bridge isn't fixed yet, but they are already working on it for some years, so one day it will be ready, that's for sure) After the deviation you will be back on the beautiful road along the Kok River.

When this road ends after about 16 kilometers, you take to the left. Then you have another ten kilometers to go, passing through Ban Lao. It is some kilometers before the Waterford Valley. You will see the signs.

Limbo :o

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I am right (which certainly isn't the case allways, so be aware) tomorrow, Thursday 25 January at 18.00 hours, there will be a special ceremony in the Hom Doi area

(The Hom Doi area is considered to be the oldest part of Chiang Rai town and King Mengrai, when founding Chiang Rai, supposedly chose the hill for strategical reasons. It's the hill which offers a beautiful view on the miraculous meandering 8 lane road which abruptly ends at the 2 lane Mae Fah Luang bridge and the city navel pillar is right on top of it).

Also on top of it you will find the old Wat Muang (?) with the 'golden' chedi.

This chedi is said to contain some earthly remains of King Mengrai himself.

These will be moved to a new shelter lower down the same mountain.

I expect this to be done in a spectacular way, so if you are in the neighbourhood it might be well worth to have a look.

Limbo :o

Wow, Limbo! I'm impressed!!! something actually meaningful and informative on this site! a first?

Hom Doi, by the way, is an old euphemism pertaining to whorehouses along the street with the long, LONG name on the hill's south side (where the electric company is). It had lots of perfume-wearing ladies long, long ago (over 10 years ago anyway, maybe more than 15) and so became "good-smell hill". It's real name is Doi Jom-tong, sometimes called just Doi Tong. The Taoist shrine at the top of the stairs no-one uses is great, especially the doors.

Sometimes, above, I've notices a minah bird. I've also been rebuked for driving up the wrong way... streets around there can be confusing. Nearby is a shrine to a tiger-warrior I've never been able to get any explanation for...

actually, there are two hills - but they get the same name (like Doi Luang - we have two Great Mountains here in CR Prov)

In Nam Lad (north of the river, west side) there was just a honey harvest, if anyone's interested. I think the harvesters were Karen, but am not sure. The gov't reports less than 7000 Karen here in CR, but my wife sways there are many more who claim to be, coming from China and hoping to acquire citizenship... (which my wife still cannot obtain!)

anyone know anything about the place the Fight Club was turned into (across from German microbrewery, whose beer seems to have quite varient quality, sometimes less tasty than I've made myself)?

• 3 months later...

Nice to see this post which I originally started, re-activated.

I had requested that it would be pinned to the top of the forum where it could be added to, as various activities occured in and around Chiang Rai but it was denied.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you all at the exhibition.

Nice to see this post which I originally started, re-activated.

Ohhh, are you and Limbo same person? Sorry, I did not know!

post-29230-1180232133.gif post-29230-1180232133.gif post-29230-1180232133.gif

Why do you ask such a stupid question :o when you personally know both people?

A lot happening in Chiang Rai in the near future.

The Lychee and Fruit fair starts on the 1st May until 3rd May( not sure of location)

also there is an expo(trade stalls) open for two weeks near the flower market.

Little Duck hotel has a computer exhibition from 1st to 3rdMay.

The Lychee and Fruit fair starts on the 1st May until 3rd May( not sure of location)

Was just up there for a few days , IMO just about the most beautiful part of Thailand.

Lychees were 10 baht a kilo , damm they are just about giving them away!!!

Computer exhibition??? As in local and national retailers hawking their wares? I need a new desk top unit. The old ASUS laptop has seen better days.

• 2 months later...

On the 25th of this month, the Chiangrai Youth Orchestra will perform at the Wiang Inn.

Among the young musicians there will be around 10 hill tribes violinists.

The concert was prepared by Belgian violinist Geertje Podevyn and will be directed by Ajarn Paramet.

Be welcome.

post-12654-1186639593_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A seminar will be held at Don's in Doi Hang (on the road to the national park and past the prison turn off) on Sunday morning Oct. 7 for the purpose of learning the ins and outs of growing jalapeno and habernaro peppers. The presentation will be made by a representative of the Royal Projects from Chiang Saen. There will also be an open discussion on the subject. The Royal Projects Representative will speak in Thai and an effort will be made to translate to English. Free coffee, tea and donuts will be served. The seminar will start on Sunday Oct. 7 at 09:30 and finish at 11:30. Some free jalapeno pepper plants will be given to the novice who is interested in growing them with the understanding that they will report the results so others can share their experience.

RSVP 081 894 6401

Being somewhat of a pepper plant fanatic this seems pretty interesting. I hope I can go!

Goski:

Pepper growing is a good hobby as well as very interesting. Thailand presents some difficult issues for growing Central America type peppers. Look forward to meeting you.

Don

This is great stuff. I think we should pin this to the top of the forum page.

McG

Well done!

:D:o:D

McG:

Peppers provide the spice of life to food. When Cortez landed in Mexico in 1502 he brought pepper plants with him from Central America. 300 years later the entire Mexican diet had totally changed. This is a quote from Rick Baylis book on the history of Mexican Food. Most people don't believe that there were no peppers in Thailand until 300 years ago. Mexican and Thai foods are the craze of the world now.

Don

Canadian David, ex-forestry fire-watcher, told me yesterday the Bangkok Symphony Orchestra will play at Dusit Island the 8th, which we decided was Sunday but seems instead to be monday - anyway, I haven't checked on this but David says admission price is B300.

The idea of an "Eating Club" appears to be one whose time has come (actually well past) in the CR area. Cudos to the one who brought it forward.

SeeJo

SeeJo:

Chiang Rai is in need of responsible restaurant owner/managers who are willing to produce a good meal with consistant quality, quantity, good service and at a reasonable price. It seems that there are to many places like "New York Pizza" that turns out to be "Esan Pizza". I see the reports on fine eating places in Chiang Rai but so for have not been to one that meets my standards. However, I have not been to all of them and understand that the old airport Super Burger place is pretty reasonable. After having been in the food business for 10 years I know that people can do a good job if they wish to and not delegate it.

I believe that we can find at least 3 other places in Chiang Rai that would like to host the Eating Club once per month. Just think how great it would be if you could go out to eat each Saturday night and enjoy the meal, service and price.

Don

With the utmost respect there are many fine eating restaurants in Chiang Rai and I personally do not include your restaurant

amongst them.

Your posting seems to be an effort to get more business for your restaurant and though you are entitled to ''blow your own trumpet'', I would not rate your restaurant in the top 50 in Chiang Rai.

This is my personal opinion and good luck to your venture in Chiang Rai or elsewhere.

Surely an eating club should not be based in one specific restaurant but should sample the culinary delights of all restaurants in Chiang Rai.

Being somewhat of a pepper plant fanatic this seems pretty interesting. I hope I can go!

Goski:

Pepper growing is a good hobby as well as very interesting. Thailand presents some difficult issues for growing Central America type peppers. Look forward to meeting you.

Don

Some local farangs were asked last year to grow Jalapenos for a local, farang owned factory who sell them to a large sandwich company in Thailand.

They had to buy the plants and compost from the company but after all costs were added the growers were actually losing money.

Sounds like a bad idea.

With the utmost respect there are many fine eating restaurants in Chiang Rai and I personally do not include your restaurant

amongst them.

Your posting seems to be an effort to get more business for your restaurant and though you are entitled to ''blow your own trumpet'', I would not rate your restaurant in the top 50 in Chiang Rai.

This is my personal opinion and good luck to your venture in Chiang Rai or elsewhere.

Surely an eating club should not be based in one specific restaurant but should sample the culinary delights of all restaurants in Chiang Rai.

Go Tayto!!

You're entitled to your opinion and I agree there definitely seems to be a recent surge of business owners using TV.com to promote their business. (Without becoming a sponsor).

Apart from that I can't comment, I had a hamburger once in the main street that wasn't bad and my Mrs took me to eat some seriously good Thai food one night but have no recollection of the restaurant whereabouts. Somewhere near where they hold the Chinese New Year parade.

amongst them.

This is the first time and probably the last time I have same opinion as you Tayto!!

Been to Don´s place for dinner and that was my worst experience of eating in Thailand.

Me and my wife had to go to dinner after leaving the restaurant.

So I am not into this eating club.

:D:o:D

Some local farangs were asked last year to grow Jalapenos for a local, farang owned factory who sell them to a large sandwich company in Thailand.

They had to buy the plants and compost from the company but after all costs were added the growers were actually losing money.

Sounds like a bad idea.

So tayto, where did you hear this? I heard it too and you did NOT buy ANYTHING from that company. But you got a list with what you needed to start, how to build the greenhouse, how to arrange wateringsystem and where to find the seeds. Then you should follow the instructions, plant the seeds, build the greenhouse and water the plants.

There are many farmers that has started in the province and they make a lot of money. But these farmers are not sitting in the bars in Yet Yod talking shit about succesful farang business.

:o:D:D

A bit harsh there Sven, even though I agree 100% with you :o

These peppers are very difficult to grow, especially here so if you don´t devote yourself to it you´ll probably end up losing money and making excuses instead.

Archived