Community Events in Chiang Rai

Limbo

With the utmost respect there are many fine eating restaurants in Chiang Rai and I personally do not include your restaurant

amongst them.

Your posting seems to be an effort to get more business for your restaurant and though you are entitled to ''blow your own trumpet'', I would not rate your restaurant in the top 50 in Chiang Rai.

This is my personal opinion and good luck to your venture in Chiang Rai or elsewhere.

Surely an eating club should not be based in one specific restaurant but should sample the culinary delights of all restaurants in Chiang Rai.

This is the first time and probably the last time I have same opinion as you Tayto!!

When did you go and what did you have to eat? There has never been a report of dis-satisfaction. Did you report your complaints?

:D:o:D

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A bit harsh there Sven, even though I agree 100% with you :o

These peppers are very difficult to grow, especially here so if you don´t devote yourself to it you´ll probably end up losing money and making excuses instead.

Growing jalapenos in the fields is the same as growing Thai peppers. One grower has stated that they are easier to grow. However, if they are not cared for your results will be poor. If you have never tried it might prove to be easy and interesting.

There appears to me that there is something or some agenda that is underlying and hidden to such as me (Newbie that I am), regarding the harsh and unreasonable posts regarding Don's Restaurant, Don himself, his pepper growing enterprise, and (apparently) his suggestion of an "Eating Club". I do not mean to offend anyone, do not wish to, and will not jump into the flames of anything or any subject on an ongoing basis (I have better things to do with my time), but I feel the need to make some observations regarding certain strange post as regards the subjects above.

As to the restaurant and the man, my experience there with my "wife" (at the time), was most pleasant and enjoyable, the food excellent and professioally prepared, and the man himself was personable, friendly, down to earth and very helpful regarding certain discussions I had with him about life/business in the Land Of Smiles (smiles which mask their real feelings about us and our kind). Although one can find equally as good Thai food in a few other places, their American Breakfast was the best in all of Thailand IMHO.

As to his pepper growing offering, I see no twisting of arms to buy the plants or cultivate them (and no indication of proof of inability to make a profit by doing so if earnestly pursued).

As to his promoting his business, why not and by any lawful, proper and acceptable means! If he has broken or infringed on some rule of the forum by his statements/proposals (I cannot see any), then the Moderators should bring it to his attention. I have read the discussions about the Moderators and must say that they seem to be quality people - very fair, thick-skinned, and competent - and whether living elsewhere or not, are acceptable to me. Having said that, if someone living in the rai wants a Mod job, he should be considered.

As regarding the "Eating Club", it seems to me that an unfair accusation has been made. It is not believable for me that this man would ever make such a laughable proposal that such a club be limited to his establishment only. I do not believe he ever said or intimated such a thing, but I will Kao Toat and ask him next time I go there to eat. In fact with the kind indulgence of all, I will throw in two of my great experiences "in another life" and in favor of a CR "Eating Club". Both were in a large city. One was motivated and organized by many of those (and their friends) involved in Hi-Rise building construction at that place and time, and there were 30 restaurants where meetings among these of a loose fellowship of mutual interests were held in a different restaurant, once a week. The other was not an eating club per se, but rather an association of restauranteurs desiring to increase their exposure/business by selling for a modest sum, a book of 50 coupons, each of which could be used once at each of the 50 places, and which coupons offered "Buy one complete meal of your choice and get another complete meal of your choice free". No doubt such a concept would be lost on most Thai restauranteurs.

Respectful Regards,

SeeJo

as regard my previous posting in this issue I have no personal gripe with the establishment concerned nor do I even know the owner.

I posted a comment about my personal opinion and a friends experience re.proposal of growing of Jalapenos.

I didn't even know that the restaurant owner and Jalapeno business person were the same.

Everyone is entitled to promote their business here and I believe Thaivisa Chiang Rai is looking for a sponsor, a good way to promote.

I like this statement though.

''Chiang Rai is in need of responsible restaurant owner/managers who are willing to produce a good meal with consistant quality, quantity, good service and at a reasonable price''

This is great stuff. I think we should pin this to the top of the forum page.

McG

Well done!

McG:

Peppers provide the spice of life to food. When Cortez landed in Mexico in 1502 he brought pepper plants with him from Central America. 300 years later the entire Mexican diet had totally changed. This is a quote from Rick Baylis book on the history of Mexican Food. Most people don't believe that there were no peppers in Thailand until 300 years ago. Mexican and Thai foods are the craze of the world now.

Don

That is correct - until the Portuguese introduced them to Thailand the spice of choice was native pepper - Prik Thai. I also wonder what Thais ate before the introduction of corn/maize, pepper, chilli, potato, tomato, okra, aubergine/eggplant and many other things that have become integral to the Thai way of cooking.

On a side note to a comment you mentioned above re the difficulties of growing peppers is it a humidity issue, soil or something else? This should really be in a farming forum but I am curious for a brief overview.

I used to grow 30+ varieties of chilli/pepper semi-commercially in Australia. It started out as a hobby and got carried away :D

CB

I also wonder what Thais ate before the introduction of corn/maize, pepper, chilli, potato, tomato, okra, aubergine/eggplant and many other things that have become integral to the Thai way of cooking.

For that matter try to envisage English food with out potatoes. Fish and turnips?

This is great stuff. I think we should pin this to the top of the forum page.

McG

Well done!

McG:

Peppers provide the spice of life to food. When Cortez landed in Mexico in 1502 he brought pepper plants with him from Central America. 300 years later the entire Mexican diet had totally changed. This is a quote from Rick Baylis book on the history of Mexican Food. Most people don't believe that there were no peppers in Thailand until 300 years ago. Mexican and Thai foods are the craze of the world now.

Don

That is correct - until the Portuguese introduced them to Thailand the spice of choice was native pepper - Prik Thai. I also wonder what Thais ate before the introduction of corn/maize, pepper, chilli, potato, tomato, okra, aubergine/eggplant and many other things that have become integral to the Thai way of cooking.

On a side note to a comment you mentioned above re the difficulties of growing peppers is it a humidity issue, soil or something else? This should really be in a farming forum but I am curious for a brief overview.

I used to grow 30+ varieties of chilli/pepper semi-commercially in Australia. It started out as a hobby and got carried away :D

CB

CB.

I would say the largest problem second to rain is bugs and worms. This probably holds true for other vegetables in Thailand. Insecticides is one of the big business in Thailand. We grow jalapenos and habaneros in both green houses and in the fields. The green houses are OK during cool weather but difficult during hot weather. The worms that eat the plants only come out at night and then go back into the soil and you can't see them during the day. April, May and June are impractical months to grow in the fields or the green houses. In my green houses I have started elevating the plants off the ground by 80 cm hoping that ground insects can't reach them. Spraying every week is necessary. Typically, the climate in Australia is arid and more suited than Thailand. Having said all of this we are growing and producing products at a rapid rate. This year I provided new farmers with free plants about 4 inches tall to get them started. I have 6 products that I produce and sell and the demand is good. The seminar last Sunday provided by the Royal Projects staff worked out good. In Chiang Rai the high value cool weather crops are good for the locals as well as the hill tribe people. As mentioned before, there is not much difference in growing standard Thai Peppers in the fields. They require water, spraying and fertilizing. My R&D work is associated with increased yeild, longer growing season and reduced time to maturity. As soon as I get a break I will put lights on a timer in my green houses to try to reduce the time to maturity.

Can you give me some of your experiences in growing in Australia and some of the problems you had to solve? This has been a slow learning process for me and my staff. If you are interested in some free seeds to try in Thailand I will be happy to give you some.

Best wishes.

Don

018 894 6401

The Alliance Franco-Thai Chiangrai organizes a "Fashion Show", following by a cocktail, at the Wiang-Inn Hotel on November 2nd at 7 pm.

The aim of this fashion show is to present you the work of Miss Pimpa who spent her childhood in Chiangrai and then went to Paris to study fashion design.

All the proceeds will be donated to the Lions Club of Nakorn Chiangrai and Rotary Club of Chiangrai North.

The board of Alliance Franco-Thai and myself would be honored if you could attend this exceptional event.

Yours sincerely,

Guy Heidelberger

Director

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to allow this post to stand but have removed the oversized fonts and the contact details.

Anyone interested in this event please contact the poster by PM to discuss.

regards

CB

Moderating Team

post-48262-1192619622_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Where I hailed from, northern CA, we had a once a month get-together called the "Freedom Dance"

It was in a lovely chuch hall with no pews, high ceilings, all wood floor and walls. Instead of live band there was very tasteful Rock music (Sting, Los Lobos, etc) played thru a high quality sound system. The DJ didn't talk, just played great songs.

All ages were welcome and admission was cheap. No alc, no smoking, no hassles, everyone had a great time - some dancing alone, some dancing with everyone, in groups, couples, whatever. A hippie thing for sure.

There's a room upstairs at the large swimming pool SW of C.Rai It's a bit larger than the other rooms. and has a glass wall on the hallway, so people could stand outside and talk while looking at revelers inside, whatever. The rent should be quite cheap. I'd be open to hosting it, though I don't currently have a decent hi-fi. I do have a decent CD collection though.

Another spin would be jitterbug dance class. Anyone interested in tossing around any variations on these ideas, let me know.

Brahmburgers.

Upon further reflection, why not have a monthly pot-luck by the swimming pool. It's a cavernously large venue. I rather doubt cooking is allowed, but we could make do with ready made and fresh items. Again (as mentioned in the above post) any rents would be dirt cheap. T.Visa Farang and friends could essentially commandeer the place - and still leave plenty of room for any of their regular customers to do what they want.

Plus, a pot-luck wouldn't entail all this talk about restaurants, and who's self-promoting, etc.

For anyone who doesn't know the work 'pot-luck' it's simply a get together where each person (or family group) brings a food item big enough to feed about six to ten people - so there's usually ample food for all. Food that works well are things like macaroni salads, finger foods, chips with dip, cut-up sandwiches, fried things, fresh sliced things ....essentially whatever can easily fit on a paper plate. plus some drinks and paper cups.

Where I hailed from, northern CA, we had a once a month get-together called the "Freedom Dance"

It was in a lovely chuch hall with no pews, high ceilings, all wood floor and walls. Instead of live band there was very tasteful Rock music (Sting, Los Lobos, etc) played thru a high quality sound system. The DJ didn't talk, just played great songs.

All ages were welcome and admission was cheap. No alc, no smoking, no hassles, everyone had a great time - some dancing alone, some dancing with everyone, in groups, couples, whatever. A hippie thing for sure.

There's a room upstairs at the large swimming pool SW of C.Rai It's a bit larger than the other rooms. and has a glass wall on the hallway, so people could stand outside and talk while looking at revelers inside, whatever. The rent should be quite cheap. I'd be open to hosting it, though I don't currently have a decent hi-fi. I do have a decent CD collection though.

Another spin would be jitterbug dance class. Anyone interested in tossing around any variations on these ideas, let me know.

Brahmburgers.

Where I come from we had a ceile every month. It was also in a hall with lots of straw and a ceile band.

Plenty of booze, lots of fags( smokes) and plenty of fights. It was great craic.

Is a jitterbug dance something like line dancing?

Anyway,you can count me in if anything is organised.

• 2 weeks later...
Wat Doi Prabat temple fair started last night, goes on til Firday the 17th,

food, fun and games. some even look dangerous!

middle of the old runway, in front of the temple. squat toilets have been installed

I hope they figure something to do with the roving bands of barking dogs that have taken over that wat.

• 3 weeks later...

The Alliance Francaise of Chiang Rai presents:

Violinconcert of Vadim Tchijik

at Rai Mae Fah Luang

It seldom happens that world famous artists like Vadim Tchijik find their way to Chiang Rai,

but when it happens the charm of our little town seems to make them come back over

and over again.

Thanks to his pleasant co-operation and personal friendship with Guy Heidelberger, the Director of

the Alliance Francaise of Chiang Rai, who yearly coordinates Vadims Asia tour, we can welcome

Vadim also this year in our midst.

In between concerts in Penang, Phuket, Bangkok and Yangoon, Vadim found the time not only to give

a masterclass for the two most talented and promising young violinists of Northern Thailand,

'our own' Toy of Chiang Rai and Dong of Chiang Mai, but for a concert in Chiang Rai as well.

For your information: Vadim Tchijik gives about 50 recitals a year (in France, Germany, Italy, Belgium,

Switzerland, Holland, Sweden, Russia, USA, Japan, Turkey, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and other

countries all over the world).

The concert will be given in the big 'Sala Keaw' on the premises of the Rai Mae Fah Luang.

Most of us will have visited this beautiful park with its special ambiance (and its museum 'in the making').

Especially after dark it is a sensation to visit it as hundreds of lamps highlight its impressive natural shapes.

The park can easily be found as there might be a hundred signs in and around town pointing in its direction.

Anyhow, go to Den Ha at the old Chiang Mai Road and from there signs at every corner will guide you the

last two kilometers to the Rai Mae Fah Luang.

Thanks to Guy, Acharn Nakorn and the generous support of the French Embassy in Bangkok the entrance

to this concert is free. Everybody is welcome! Please bring your family and friends and enjoy this for

Chiang Rai unique cultural event together.

The concert takes place coming Tuesday Evening,

18 December at 18.30

About Vadim Tchijik:

Born in November 1975, Vadim started to study the violin at the age of six and he gave his first concert when

he was only eight years old. He finished the famous Tchaikovsky Central Music School in Moscow (for gifted children).

He got the First Prize unanimously at the National Superior Conservatory of Music in Lyon and he completed his

post-graduate studies at the High Conservatory of Music in Cologne. Artist Certificate at the Southern Methodist University

Meadows School of Arts in Dallas and the Chigiana Music Academy in Siena. He always obtained the highest honors.

He won prizes in many prestigious international violin competitions such as the N. Paganini Competition in Genoa,

P.I.Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow, R. Lipizer Competition in Gorizia; He won the International Competition in

Portogruaro (Italy), the Juventus Award (by the European Council), the N. and L. Boulanger Foundation Award and

Natexis Foundation Award in Paris, O. and V. Ritter Foundation Award in Hamburg and the G. Cziffra Foundation Award in France.

He has performed with the Moscow Symphony Orchestra, the North Nederland Symphony Orchestra, the Kharkov Philharmonic Orchestra,

Freiburg Symphony Orchestra, Orchestra di Teatro di Genova, Gunma Symphony Orchestra, Yaroslavl Philharmonic Orchestra, Ulianovsk

Philharmonic Orchestra, Orchestra di Padova e del Veneto, Musica Vitae Chamber Orchestra, Plano Symphony Orchestra and many others.

The program for this concert:

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 Eisenach - 1750 Leipzig, Germany)

Partita n 2 for solo violin; 1. Allemande 2. Corrente 3.Sarabande 4. Gigue 5. Chaconne

Johann Sebastian was the son of a town musician from which he learnt the violin.

When he was ten he went to live with his elder brother Johann Christoph, organist

at St. Michael's Church, Ohrdruf, who gave him lessons in keyboard playing.

During his time as chamber musician to the Duke of Saxe-Weimar in 1708 he became known

as a leading organist and composed many of his finest works.

Bach's next employer was Prince Leopold and from this period date his violin concertos and

the six Brandenburg Concertos, as well as numerous sonatas, suites and keyboard works.

Together with Handel, Bach was the last great representative of the Baroque era.

------------ intermission -------------

Nicolo Paganini ( 1782 - 1840, Genua, Italy)

Caprices n 1 and 6 for solo violin

Niccolò Paganini is widely considered to be the greatest violinist who ever lived.

Although nineteenth century Europe had seen several extraordinary violinists, Paganini was

such a genius on his violin that some people believed that he had sold his soul to the devil

for his unbelievable ability. Paganini first learned to play the mandolin from his father at the

age of five, moved to the violin by the age of seven, and began composing soon after.

He gave his first public concert at the age of 11.

Eugene Ysaye (1858 - 1931 Liège, Belgium)

Sonate n 4 (for Fritz Kreisler) for solo violin; 1. Allemande 2. Sarabande 3. Finale

Ysaÿe began violin lessons aged four with his father, and later studied with Joseph Massart,

Henryk Wieniawski, and Henri Vieuxtemps. This places him in the Franco-Belgian school of

violin playing, which dates back to the development of the modern violin bow by François Tourte.

After his graduation, Ysaÿe was the principal violin of the Benjamin Bilse beer-hall orchestra,

which later developed into the Berlin Philharmonic.

post-6305-1197659131_thumb.jpg Vadim Tchijik post-6305-1197659163_thumb.jpg J. S. Bach post-6305-1197659208_thumb.jpgEugene Ysayepost-6305-1197659189_thumb.jpg Nicolo Paganini

Limbo :o

At your service!

• 2 weeks later...

crflower.gif

Chiang Rai 4th Flowers festival 2007-2008

28 december - 6 January Chiang Rai will hold a festival at Pattaya Noi. There will be flowers (lilies, tulips ect...), plants, gardens expo and shows!

tea_festival.jpg

12th tea festival in Doi Mae Salong 2007-2008

28 december - 2 january at shopping space at Or Bor Tor Maesalong Nork, Bansuntikiree Moo 1, Tumbol Maesalong Nork, Amphur Mae Fah Luang.

The events in this festival are shows by 7 ethnic tribes, singing contest, beauty contest ect...

On 31 december celebrate a new year party, 1 january new year day you can witness a special merit (tuk baht). Visitors can taste tea and local products at the festival.

Don't the signs say it goes on to the 6th?

Yestereday me and mine had a diffult time getting in - people taking up both sides of the road so nobody could get out (though one BKK car decided to turn around)

couldn't get a free tea taste as a bunch of big-wigs had come with the PM's wife (I heard one say) and kept the supplier too busy

Hill-tribe houses not even as authentic or interesting as a couple years ago

nice to see healing herbs promoted a lot,

and some good baskets

Lots of nice flowers, way too many cameras

Most of the food worse than boring

easy enough to get out the back way... (thru Doi Hang, Hand Doi - sorry, I've been away a bit... past Rice-box hill and the prison then over the newly reconstructed small bridge and past the cliff a monk has long been carving a big image on...) to the Soi 5 MaeFaLuang Rd intersection.

• 3 weeks later...

foodfestival.gif

Chiang Rai 15th anual Food Festival start from tomorrow 17-21 january at old Airport (Sanambin kao) runway.

The event start at 17.00-24.00 pm. Many booths available to see, food, herbal medicines, otop products ect...

Event shows include, lanna show, celebrity show + concert, cabaret show, comedy showcase, singing contest, eating contest, game contest, ect...

Don't miss out!

• 3 weeks later...

There's a Valentine Show: Blind date and Mini concert at the PM/CVK Hall in Chiang Rai on (surprisingly enough) the 14th February. 5.30pm to 8.30pm.

It's being run by the "Filipinos and Friends in Chiang Rai".

It appears to be being run by Chiang Rai High School Students and Teachers and will have a band and solo violinists.

I'm reading this off the ticket.

I doubt I'll attend but bought a ticket in the village tonight in a weak moment. High School girls selling tickets have that effect on me. :o

Entry appears to be 100B a double.

No idea where the hall is. I suspect that the student was from Chiang Rai Vitthaya School which is listed as a sponsor, along with Thai Airways, Don's Cafe and Blue Room and many others.

She got my attention because she spoke better English than me.

I think there are a few Filipinos around the district working as teachers.

Two free events:

Sunday 10 Feb at 5pm:

The hill tribe students of Maechan open their workshop, Baan Rao. Simple opening, they offer tea and show their work.

Baan Roa is near the park of the old prison.

Info here: here

Friday 22 Feb at 18.30:

The Chiangrai Youth Orchestra plays at the Chiangrai First Church.

Info here: here

post-12654-1202551813_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

On the 23rd of March, a new troupe of hill tribe magicians made a unique performance during a gala dinner at Insii Thai House.

The dinner was the end of a project innitiated with the help of Belgian magician Sylvain Sluys.

The event was attended by numerous VIPs and distinguished guests from Chiangrai, Chiangmai, Bangkok, Malaysia and even Belgium.

Another performance, open to the public, will take place in Chiangmai on the 26th for over 4000 people.

The Hill Tribe Magic Show at the Convention Hall of the Chiangmai University.

7pm, free for everyone.

post-12654-1206298954_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1206298967_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1206298985_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1206298994_thumb.jpg

After the gala dinner at Insii Thai House for only 125 guests, the students performed for... over 4000 guests in Chiangmai.

Among them, Minister Jakrapok Penkair, who came from Bangkok, many diplomats and thousands of hill tribe people who came from the hill to see their magicians.

The new Chiangrai Hill Tribe Magic Troupe has already been offered to perform... in Malaysia in July!

post-12654-1206678016_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1206678052_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1206678103_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1206678137_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1206678185_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Some of the hill tribe magicians will make a small magic performance at Baan Rao , this Sunday 27th.

They will perform magic with cords, coins, cards, make objects appear and disappear, "create" money, etc...

But due to the small space available, there will be no levitation or grand illusion.

For those of you who could not attend the previous shows, this mini-performance is a good occasion to support the hill tribe students.

The show is free and everyone welcome.

Those who want to help them further can always buy a coffee or tea (no alcohol at Baan Rao) or maybe buy some of the students art pieces.

post-12654-1209037659_thumb.jpg

Some of the hill tribe magicians will make a small magic performance at Baan Rao , this Sunday 27th.

They will perform magic with cords, coins, cards, make objects appear and disappear, "create" money, etc...

But due to the small space available, there will be no levitation or grand illusion.

For those of you who could not attend the previous shows, this mini-performance is a good occasion to support the hill tribe students.

The show is free and everyone welcome.

Those who want to help them further can always buy a coffee or tea (no alcohol at Baan Rao) or maybe buy some of the students art pieces.

Thanks Gerry 1011

:o Wiley Coyote

Archived