BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Limbo

Community Events in Chiang Rai

Coming Saturday, September 4th there is another Expats meeting at the InnCome hotel.

It starts at 10.00 hrs.

Non-members pay 150 baht entrance fee

Membership costs 500 baht, a member pays 100 baht entrance fee.

Every meeting there is a guest speaker, a DVD/book trade table and a lottery with price such as: a voucher of 250 baht to spend at a certain restaurant, a bottle of wine, etc.

Trading and winning only for members ;)

Went along to the meeting this morning. Seemed like a good mix of people.

Very interesting and inspirational speaker by the name of Dr. Jan Smit. He and his wife have been working with 'disadvantaged people' for some 17 years. For the last 6 they have been in Thailand running a foundation ( at which point I usually tune out) which looks after children who have, either, been incarcerated in prison with their mothers or left in unfortunate circumstances in their villages because of having no-one to care for them whilst their mothers are serving their sentences. Run by the two founders (who take no salary) with local Thai staff. Talk wasn't anti-Thai system, didn't condemn, looking to change society/systems slowly by helping and producing functioning adults from what were traumatised children. Great stuff.

The club has an'open forum' for questions so you can share local knowledge. A morning well spent, I thought.

Limbo, if you believe we'll have a train in 5 years,

i'm wondering,

could I interest you in some land that doesn't have a chanot?

or a bridge maybe? seems ChiangRai has an extra one...

:jap:

Limbo, if you believe we'll have a train in 5 years,

i'm wondering,

could I interest you in some land that doesn't have a chanot?

or a bridge maybe? seems ChiangRai has an extra one...

:jap:

In the mean time the first train has arrived in Chiang Rai already!

By road transport! It's parked in front of the Sala Klang Kao, at

present the office of the Cultural Council. Some billboards ask

people to vote for the 'train party'.

The first of September the decisions were supposed to be taken concerning

the high-speed train project and the transnational Kunming - Singapore

connection.

So far it is a tug of war between the Democrats and the Bum Jai Thai.

The expectation is now that the Democrats might 'assume responsibility' for

the Nong Khai-Bangkok and Bangkok-Padang Pesar routes and Bum Jai Thai will

be in charge of the financial management of the Bangkok-Chiang Mai and

Bangkok-Rayong routes. This concerning the high speed train projects

(350 Billion Baht is a lot of money, so the 'gratification part' of the

budget has to be divided).

And the transnational high-speed train project linking Kunming, Laos, Bangkok

and Padang Pesar? Not yet put in the hands of the (Bum Jai Thai) Transport Ministry

so far, but still in the drawer of the (Democrat) Prime Minister.

I think that the present government understands very well that the real decision

is going to be taken in Beijing and that it is the Prime Ministers Office that has

to be in charge of negotiations.

It is said that China already has signed a memorandum of understanding with Laos

and would start building the railway next year.

Will they opt for Chiang Khong? The expectation is that they will do.

Land prices are sky rocketing for years already in that area and at the Laos side

farmers have already been removed from their 'strategical' lands.

But, my dear Joel, you're right: I respect my source greatly but I wouldn't bet on

this five years planning anymore.

Limbo :yohan:

Couldn't open this link to find out more...is anybody having more success with it?

There is something happening at the Rimkok on the 22nd of October - art exhibition(?), hill-tribe show/ display and an evening buffet but I haven't got the full details yet, and I don't think it'll be the same thing as your posting.. Any more information on either of these events would be appreciated.

Couldn't open this link to find out more...is anybody having more success with it?

There is something happening at the Rimkok on the 22nd of October - art exhibition(?), hill-tribe show/ display and an evening buffet but I haven't got the full details yet, and I don't think it'll be the same thing as your posting.. Any more information on either of these events would be appreciated.

Here is another link:

http://www.tatnews.org/events/events/2010/oct/5051.asp

I got that one from mr Brian in a message.

:blink::o:(

:blink::o:(

This is a good example of the posting a year ago.

So what is going on in Chiang Rai now and what is coming up next month?

:o:D:D

There will be a big event-I think it is 7 of the biggest ressoorts in Chiang Rai,who goes together and do this:

A very big music and food festival from(i think) 22-26 Okt. in Chiang Rai.

There will be alot of intertaiment-music,art(painting contest) and so+alot of food.

This will mostly be free for Chiang Rai residents-exept the drinking and food.

You can find all about it on-facebook.dk-use the box in top of the site and type-Chiang Rai-Thailand.!

Thats the page,I have made about Chiang Rai and the northern area.

I want to put the stuff in here-but I am a fool-have tryed alot,but not succeed, to put thinks in here.

Brian

Does anyone know when in December, and where, the Chiang Rai Flower festival is being held this year?

Does anyone know when in December, and where, the Chiang Rai Flower festival is being held this year?

Starting on 25th December until January 3rd, the flower festival will be at the same location as last year, beside the bridge on the back road to the airport.

It is near to the Tessban 6 high school.

1288516239.jpg

Starting on 25th December until January 3rd, the flower festival will be at the same location as last year, beside the bridge on the back road to the airport.

It is near to the Tessban 6 high school.

1288516239.jpg

Thank you, Dingdong.

Representatives from the Chiangrai tourist police were at the Ex- Pats meeting today. One of them (David?) told us about an information service now available for anyone interested in finding out what is going socially and culturally in the province. I believe it is still not fully developed, but is being put together with the support of the Governer of CR province. If you have information about a local event, or are a business that wants to let people know about an event then - I think - you can contact them with the information. They produce a calender which displays what's on on a given day, and you click on it for more information, maps, etc. Had a look at it just now and looks very promising. Their website is chiangraitourist.com. It is not a business.

Chiang Rai Food Festival is now on 13-19 Dec , situated at the Old Airport runway . Lots of stalls selling many food items and a kids funfair as well .

Late notice but I just noticed the parade when I took the dog out this morning.

It's the inter village football and sports day (at my village this year).

Great non-tourist, Thais and Hills Tribes having a good time stuff.

Karaoke and maybe boxing tonight.

Anyone interested, it's at HuaySan on the old Chiang Mai Road.

Drive to the 21km post and turn right at the next turn off. It's the Doi Chaang sign post.

After that you can't miss it.