BANGKOK 19 March 2019 13:31

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Limbo

Community Events in Chiang Rai

All you tourists who are thinking about coming north...come on up...its great fun here...the only thing to do is harvest rice but you'll be so tired at the end of the day that you won't want to do anything else....as if there was something else to do!! If rice harvest isn't your thing then might as well go to an island or hang out in Bangkok. In a couple of weeks rice harvest will be over....but don't fret because soon they'll start burning the fields in preparation for planting garlic...and shortly after that will be the soybean planting time....so come on up for some great planting fun!!! This year if we're lucky the soybean planting will coincide with New Years Day so we'll have something to celebrate besides falling down drunk and passing out in our own vomit!!!

The rice harvest continues as the top billed attraction for Chiang Rai...but it won't last long so get out there and tresh your little bootie off now or forever be known as lard a55!!!!

Got it now: Khao jao is rich people rice, Khao plow not sticky stuff...

but was the insect problem related to changes in the rains (longer duration this year, though not heavy as usual at first)?

were the rivers so full in part because last winter was so dry (hard ground)?

Inquiring minds want/need to know!

Got it now: Khao jao is rich people rice, Khao plow not sticky stuff...

but was the insect problem related to changes in the rains (longer duration this year, though not heavy as usual at first)?

were the rivers so full in part because last winter was so dry (hard ground)?

Inquiring minds want/need to know!

Don't know why but I'm hoping to find out whatever I can after the harvest is done...

Well the rice harvest started up again today after a few days rain break...although the pace is pretty relaxed. All of the rice has been stacked into piles and is waiting to be threshed....when its stacked like this a small piece of plastic at the top is all thats needed to keep the grain dry...so the dab of rain we got is a mai pen rai sort of thing.....if you've been procrastinating better wake up and smell the rice straw now because in a couple three days it will be all over and it will be your turn to cry for having missed the culturally rich and blissful activity of the Rice Harvest.....best thing happening in Chiang Rai....I mean, what else is happening?

From all over Thailand and from Malaysia they came: The heavy motorbikes!

Where? In Maesai this weekend (10 and 11 December '05).

Beautiful machines, HD's, BMW's (the 1200 cc, wow!) and their Japanese brothers.

A real circus :o

Didn`t you see the BIG bikes at the food festival last week opposite the Rimkok. Some serious bikes. Due to my ignorance I`m not sure if these guys were from Chiang Rai or not.

I hope they were.

Didn`t you see the BIG bikes at the food festival last week opposite the Rimkok. Some serious bikes. Due to my ignorance I`m not sure if these guys were from Chiang Rai or not.

I hope they were.

Thanks Chiang35Baht!

BIG bikes, that's what they are called. In Holland we call them 'heavy' bikes.

They are actually 'heavy' in both senses of the word. Chiang Rai has one VERY BIG bike, about four BIG bikes and about ten RATHER BIG bikes. When you have seen more bikes then it might have been the club from Chiang Mai, the Rotors, which were invited to visit by their local comrades.

I don't know where the lake of Doi Hang is. I mean you pass Hong Or, then you get the road to the 'new' prison after some kilometers and then, straight on, you arrive in Doi Hang, don't you? With the temple at the right side on the hill?

Saturday 10 December about five kilometers after Ban Lao (on the road from Wiang Chai to Chiang Khong, about 33 kms from town) there is a Tantawan (???) event.

Enormeous fields with blossoming sunflowers, not the Mexican ones but the BIG (heavy) ones. Thai-boxing, music, dance, trips on rot-i-teng and all this sprinkled with alcoholic refreshments. They have snacks, ice-water and coke as well.

I'll be there at about three o'clock!

See you!

Limbo.

I hope they were.

Thanks Chiang35Baht!

They are actually 'heavy' in both senses of the word. Chiang Rai has one VERY BIG bike, about four BIG bikes and about ten RATHER BIG bikes. When you have seen more bikes then it might have been the club from Chiang Mai, the Rotors, which were invited to visit by their local comrades.

I don't know where the lake of Doi Hang is. I mean you pass Hong Or, then you get the road to the 'new' prison after some kilometers and then, straight on, you arrive in Doi Hang, don't you? With the temple at the right side on the hill?

Saturday 10 December about five kilometers after Ban Lao (on the road from Wiang Chai to Chiang Khong, about 33 kms from town) there is a Tantawan (???) event.

Enormeous fields with blossoming sunflowers, not the Mexican ones but the BIG (heavy) ones. Thai-boxing, music, dance, trips on rot-i-teng and all this sprinkled with alcoholic refreshments. They have snacks, ice-water and coke as well.

See you!

Limbo.

After Hawng Awe, go past the police check point, turn rightto go to the jail. Go down the hill right past the jail. At the bottom go straight on to a dirt road and follow it round to the right for about 500-600 yards. I`m sure you will see all the cars parked there.

After Hawng Awe, go past the police check point, turn rightto go to the jail. Go down the hill right past the jail. At the bottom go straight on to a dirt road and follow it round to the right for about 500-600 yards. I`m sure you will see all the cars parked there.

See you there!

The bua tantawan festival in Ban Pong (4 kms after Ban Lao) is great!

Beautiful environment and a great atmosphere.

Take the tour on the rot-i-teng, it is an experience of the first order.

Ignore the rather obscene dancing of the girls on stage, but enjoy a dance with a village beauty for 2 Baht.

And look at the muai thai boxing. The girls did great!

Untill Tuesday!

Limbo.

I hope they were.

Thanks Chiang35Baht!

See you!

Limbo.

hi Limbo ,

i miss all the good stuff ??

keep some left thill i get there !

my last bike(9 °) big bike , suzi gsx 1100 f , 135 bhp , too much fun , and one car tooo close

post-21441-1134243132_thumb.jpg

(13/05/2005) , end of big bikes for me

'Khang' harvest ! It is only done every three years and lasts less than a week!

Khang is a fungus (?) growing on trees, used as a purple dye.

Strained my shoulder climbing trees....ouch!!!