BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Limbo

Community Events in Chiang Rai

From Friday 16 December Canadian Robert Porter, (please correct me if I am wrong:) the only expat artist of Chiang Rai, will show his latest works in the art gallery of bookshop Gare Garron. The festive opening is that day at 19.00 o'clock.

Art lovers welcome! Support your local artist :o !

Limbo.

Incidentally, for those of us who like immersion in some other fluid than whiskey, rum, beer or for that mater wine, it looks as if the swimming pool out by the stadium is opening for business; guys were cleaning it out the other day.

The water will be cold, very cold. It's not really the season for swimming.

Wednesday coming the members of the Thaivisa bicycle team will oil their legs again for a ride. Check with Jozef of Hamburger 1 in Ban Du if you want to join.

Today and tomorrow (25 December) the Lanna festival at the old airport might be worth a visit. It will be the usual stuff with old style (traditional) dancing. Music, performances, foodstalls aso aso. Especially if you have visitors it is a good alternative for the nightbazaar.

It is organised by the Provincial Authorities and the Lanna Group so don't expect something new. There definition of culture, Lanna or not, seems to be quite static.

But you never know when fresh winds will be blowing.

Can be fun tough.

Limbo.

Keep Monday 2 January 2006 free in your agenda.

This for a real 'Lanna Art Event', with music, dance, poetry and visual arts.

It is the opening of the exhibition '49 Thai Artists in Lanna'.

Chalermchai Kositpipat (the creator of the White Temple and our new future clocktower), Tawan Duchanee (the creator of the mysterious black village in Ban Nang Lae) and Acharn Nakorn Pongnoi (the founder and director of the Rai Mae Fah Luang) will share their thoughts with you.

The exhibit will give you a good idea about the work of the members of the 'artist-sala' of Chiang Rai. Just for your information: Our town has one of the most vivid artist communities of Thailand.

Soi 3 Rachayotha Road (the soi where the temple is, between the Rachayotha and the Sangkonnoi, in both cases the last soi before you reach Den Haa, from the Rachayotha to the left, from the Sankongnoi to the right)).

Official the event commences at 5 o'clock.

Limbo, at your service.

More information soon under the topic 'Art in Chiang Rai'.

This thread is so extremely succesful that it starts to dominate the whole forum :D .

And that was of course not the initial meaning of it.

Another aspect is that it might suggest that Chiang Rai is a town where nothing happens.

Or, even worse, that the expats living in Chiang Rai don't know what happens in their town (at least not on forehand) :o .

Therefore I decided (in a good democratic fashion) to unpin this topic and to allow it to sink into oblivion.

Next weekend the big year market "Por Khun Festival' at the sportstadium (sanaam kila).

It is the biggest festival we have in Chiang Rai and it lasts for about a week.

More information follows.

Limbo

Therefore I decided...
This isn't
in a good democratic fashion
:o

This thread is still the most-read in here, even though there haven't been all that many events...

Mr. Zapp could be right. Absolutely! I had the feeling this thread is bleeding death. That's why I organised a meeting in which unisonous the decision was taken to let this topic float.

To-day the Por Khun Festival started. You can compair it with a yearmarket.

It is at the 'Sanam Kila', also called the sportstadium. From Ha Yek, also called Por Khun, also called (King) Mengrai, you take the street which starts under the portrait of His Majesty the King.

After about four kilometers you take to the left. You can't miss it. Just open the window of your car (if you have a motorbike this will be difficult) and go for the sound.

If you come from the North you take the first street after the bridge to the left (at the traffic light).

The festival lasts untill 4 February. Every night there are shows, Miss Chiang Rai elections, performances of pop-groups and so on. Where ever you live in Chiang Rai you will hear it.

There are presentations of schools, governmental organisations, car dealers, motorbike dealers, yes, almost of any kind of dealers. There is an old style fair, typical market shops, a thousand small restaurants and a lot of beer gardens.

Please pay attention to the old fashion 'barrel' in which daredevils ride their motorbikes against the vertical wall. One of my favorites is the 'stall' with old English bicycles (Raleighs, Humbers, Rudges, BSA's) and old Honda's (50, 65 and 70 cc).

It is really worth a visit. I went to look this afternoon and everything was the same as last year.

And the years before. So don't expect surprises! But it is fun!

Limbo.

(coming) Saturday 25 February in Chiang Khong at six o'clock:

Rock concert with 'Caravan'!

As far as I know one of the most famous groups of Thailand.

Started in the seventies together with 'Carabau'.

Both groups came with songs which were critical about the social structure of Thai society, but 'Caravan' was more political oriented.

Their idea was to go out from Bangkok to the country side to 'enlighten' the rural population.

So their caravan hit the road. This was the origine of the name they chose.

Within the military and the police there were some officials who considered this caravan to be a threath to national security and they did everything they could to sabotage them.

They got blacklisted and their songs could not be heard on the radio anymore.

Anyhow, they wrote music-history.

I don't know much about music, but I think you would call it country and folk :o

Could be a very special event, there at the Mekong. And a good excuse to visit Chiang Khong, known as the place where absolutely nothing happens (as ar as I know the only thing which is done in Chiang Khong is waiting to cross the river to Laos).

Limbo :D

we call caravan's music is "Phur-chevit" (or for life in english)..for me i will speak my idea as i am lated Y gereration (after that X gereration) their song is good to listen when sipping darft beer (any band do for me). hehehe. ok seriously, their songs r wrote in base of the truth in thai society and the singers r the ppl in poliitics history.

.. im free on 25th but cant go anyway... donno much about chiang khong d*** me!!!... oops!

I will arrive in Chiang Rai on Sunday 12th March (evening), is anyone aware of anything of interest happening in the ensuing 2 weeks, for example, any exhibitions, parades, festivals etc. ?

If not I am sure I can amuse myself. :o

Thanks

Imagedude

Centre Franco-Haut Me'kong de Coope'ration Acade'mique With Mae fah Luang University present :

"French movies week in campus"

17th March at 16.30 -18.30 PM

-- Peut-être

18th March at 13.00 -18.30 PM

-- Mauvais sang

-- Karnaval

19th March at 13.00- 18.00 Pm

-- Le pari

-- Jeanne et le garçon formidable

Place : AV building 2nd floor, at mini therter room. Mae Fah luang university.........everything free!!..........

Centre Franco-Haut Me'kong de Coope'ration Acade'mique With Mae fah Luang University present :

"French movies week in campus"

17th March at 16.30 -18.30 PM

-- Peut-être

18th March at 13.00 -18.30 PM

-- Mauvais sang

-- Karnaval

19th March at 13.00- 18.00 Pm

-- Le pari

-- Jeanne et le garçon formidable

Place : AV building 2nd floor, at mini therter room. Mae Fah luang university.........everything free!!..........

Everything FREE now that's music to my ears :o

Thanks for the information.

Imagedude :D

Thanks U_U for informing us. You can say about the French what you want, but to make movies they can :D

Saturday March 4 at 7.00 o'clock there is the opening of the exhibition of the works of Amornthep Mahamart in the 9 Art Galley, called 'Raindrops'.

The opening will be presided over by Somluk Pantiboon, the ceramist of Din Daeng Gallery.

A very good atmosphere and a lot of nice people (for those who are prejusticed: Yes, artists wash themselves as well!). No joke, have a look!

Chiang Rai has a lot of artists and the 9 Gallery does great!

About hundred meters from Mengrai Monument, at the left side of the superhighway direction bridge.

Limbo :o

Hello all!! Is nothing going on here in Chiang Rai anymore?

3 months without one post!! :o