Community Events in Chiang Rai

Limbo

The only time I know of that orphans and violins have been brought together before in these

columns was when Insii Thaihouse, the base of the Chao Pya Abhai Raja Foundation, invited

Geertje Podevyn, a Belgian violinist of the Bangkok Symphony Orchestre, for two months

to Maechan to teach a group of twenty orphanaged hilltribe children to play violin.

... ... ...

I remember that many members of this forum at that time expressed fear that this project would

contribute to the alienation of the children from their cultural roots and therefore ventilated the

opinion that they should have been given drums and flutes instead of violins.

If these critical gentlemen actually bought drums and flutes to give to the students of the Suksa Song

Kroh school history doesn't tell, but what history does tell us is that a group of underprivileged

children proved that also they can learn to play violin and that they even love to do so.

Limbo :)

Some articles, from the Nation and Chiangmai Mail:

post-6305-1268460517_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1268460557_thumb.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1268460488_thumb.jpg

What is worth to mention about the Hill Tribe Violin Band is that they... make money. They play every week in several hotels or parties and are paid each time.

While violin was the tool, the real goal of this project (and all the other ones) of the Chao Phya Abhai Raja foundation was to open new opportunities for disadvantaged hill tribe students to make revenues with something they really like. While the band is certainly not the best band in the country, they, on the other hand, have a lot of charm and bring a "new product" to the hotels willing to show something different to their guests.

The (early) detractors of this project might be pleased to know that, sometimes, they mix drums and flutes with violin :D

The next performance of the Hill Tribe Violin Band will be at a gala dinner in Lampang, but not sure which date yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is worth to mention about the Hill Tribe Violin Band is that they... make money. They play every week in several hotels or parties and are paid each time.

While violin was the tool, the real goal of this project (and all the other ones) of the Chao Phya Abhai Raja foundation was to open new opportunities for disadvantaged hill tribe students to make revenues with something they really like. While the band is certainly not the best band in the country, they, on the other hand, have a lot of charm and bring a "new product" to the hotels willing to show something different to their guests.

The (early) detractors of this project might be pleased to know that, sometimes, they mix drums and flutes with violin :D

The next performance of the Hill Tribe Violin Band will be at a gala dinner in Lampang, but not sure which date yet.

My apologies to the honorable members of this eloquent society for not informing you before,

but on Thai Television Channel 9 Woody made a special about the activities of the Chao Phya

Abhai Raja Foundation in Maechan two nights ago.

Attention was given among others to the Violin Orchestre, the Weahradio station, the ceramic studio,

the Chiang Rai Hills FC and you could even be witnessing the president of the foundation making a somtan

together with Woody.

By the way: Woody is hosting a rather popular show on channel 9.

Anyhow, last month's 'Hello', the top glossy magazine of Thailand, gave its readers an impression as well

of the activities of the foundation by interviewing its president. Parts of the program broadcasted by

the Belgian/Luxemburg TV can be seen on Weahradios' website. So if you are interested in the activities

of this foundation, that has shown itself to be a stimulating force behind many other social and cultural

initiatives in the province Chiang Rai, just go to the media.

It was a great day at Insiithaishouse with a lot of fun.

Please allow me to share some pictures with you.

Khun Woody behind the mic of Weahradio, Woody and Khun Suradet, captain of the Hills FC, and the

president of the Chao Phya Abhai Raja Siammukulkij Foundation taking Khun Woody back to the airport.

post-6305-1270546948_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1270546924_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1270546968_thumb.jpg

Now I know whose Ferrari it was that nearly hit me while crossing the Super-Highway a few weeks ago, he should try harder next time!

While looking at some new pictures that Miti posted on facebook yesterday I noticed a strong resemblance between one of the people in them and :) are they one and the same I wonder?

Now I know whose Ferrari it was that nearly hit me while crossing the Super-Highway a few weeks ago, he should try harder next time!

While looking at some new pictures that Miti posted on facebook yesterday I noticed a strong resemblance between one of the people in them and :) are they one and the same I wonder?

It's not a Ferrari, it is a Lambo :D

It's not a Ferrari, it is a Lambo :D

Thanks Gerry, you really must have knowledge about special cars to be able to

recognize the brand of this sporty vehicle on this unsharp picture. You are right,

it is actually a Lamborghini Gallardo.

Yes, my dear Skybluestrue, how can you expect the president of one of the most

prestigious foundations of northern Thailand to drive in a 'nouveau riche' vehicle

like a Ferrari?

It must have been somebody else thus ...

I also know that the Lambo is never driven in a way that could endanger lives, excluding

the possibility that some expats seeing it would suffer of acute heart failures caused by

overwhelming jealousy 555! Thai people love it, so they are not endangered by it.

Concerning the pictures published on Facebook by the chairman of Chiangrai United FC

I must say that you are right, at least in case you mean the extremely handsome, boyish

looking gentleman posing together with the 'fine fleur' of the Chiang Rai football society.

See you at the stadium next time!

Lambo :D

Apologies, as my life flashed before me I couldn't quite see whether it was a prancing horse or a fighting bull that adorned the Italian (German) supercar that was racing towards me...either that or it was being driven normally and I was just gobsmacked at seeing such a car in these parts. But there was no heart failure, jealousy or envy from this expat, quite happy with my Yaris!

And it's good to know that the wealthy owner of said car is a generous chap who is doing a lot of good for the community too. Limbo, that was the exact description I would have used as well!

Apologies, as my life flashed before me I couldn't quite see whether it was a prancing horse or a fighting bull that adorned the Italian (German) supercar that was racing towards me...either that or it was being driven normally and I was just gobsmacked at seeing such a car in these parts. But there was no heart failure, jealousy or envy from this expat, quite happy with my Yaris!

And it's good to know that the wealthy owner of said car is a generous chap who is doing a lot of good for the community too. Limbo, that was the exact description I would have used as well!

555! Thanks skybluestu! It's Audi nowadays, isn't it?

Yes and No. Audi do own Lamborghini but VW own Audi and Porsche own 30% of VW. Complicated nowadays isn't it?!

The heart failure will come when I see an Aston Martin weaving down the super-highway between all the Fortuners, CRVs etc.

• 1 month later...

It is not directly a community event of the usual kind, but I got confirmed by a very reliable

source that we, in about 5 years, will be able to travel from Chiangrai to Bangkok by train.

More than thirty years it has been tried over and over again to get this project on the rails,

read: to get the budget to realise it.

Every year at the Mengrai Fair there was this stand with maps and all other information related

to the project untill five or six years ago. Then it became silent.

A couple of months ago suddenly banners appeared in town depicting a train and a typical

railroad 'Chiangrai' sign. Many serious faces on the banner as well: we recognized the former

president of Mae Fah Luang University, the unsurpassable Dr. Wanchai, we saw the omnipresent

grey hair of our former mayor with the same name and his evenso omnipresent wife, head of the

provincial administration Khun Ratana. Several other high ranking officers on municipal and provincial

level completed the group.

They finally did it! Chapeau!

Finally the railroad from Den Chai to Chiang Khong will be built. The land is bought (a part of the traject

will pass over crown property) and now the plans are developed for a gigantic terminal in Chiang Khong.

Japan is the main provider of the necessary financial support.

At the same time, at other desks, discussions are going on about high speed trains.

• 2 months later...

National science week at Rajaphat and Mae Fah luang university starts tomorrow.

17th to 19th August from 9 A.M to 3.00 P.M

Open to everyone, some exhibitions and science activities which may be of interest to some members here.

Hope the weather clears up a little for it.

See you there.

Mae Fah Luang University . Event National Science Week 17-19 August 2553 .

Mae Fah Luang University . Cooperation with the Ministry of Science and Technology . Scheduled activities . ' National Science Week 2553 Annual Authority ' on the topic sparked the idea . The development of life science Between 17 - August 19, 2553 from 09:00 to 15:30 am at the stadiums His Majesty the Queen in 72 years Borom work provides many interesting events such as lectures on energy Articles by Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand . The demonstration of folding paper airplane folded , the display cells in the blood of man , the presentation of an animation contest year 2553 , the contest over Tok healthy food competition answer scientific problems . Primary early Secondary school And secondary contact information so that Service Center 0-5391-6450 .

Informed source National Radio Station . Chiang Rai

Chiang Rai Rajabhat University . National Science Week event on 17 - August 19, 2553 .

Biology Associate Professor Kate Watson ฑ Dean , Faculty of Science and Technology , Faculty of Science and Technology said . Chiang Rai Rajabhat University . The activities of the National Science Week 2553 under the year sparked the idea . Development of life science at the Science and Technology Building . Chiang Rai Rajabhat University, Muang District, Chiang Rai Between 17 -19 August 2553 fair exhibit honor . King Rama Rama 4 Father of Thai Science . Exhibition with the agency . Various academic programs and exhibitions organic Thai way . In addition, organized activities of seven activities are activities that a science project competition in two events as mathematics projects . To compete with scholarship certificates are third prize is a scholarship award of U.S. $ 1,500 , second prize of U.S. $ 1,000 scholarships and awards three scholarships of U.S. $ 800 Event 3: Drawing competition . Win scholarships . In each of the levels, with prizes to a scholarship 500 and honorable mention scholarships 300 Baht six awards with certificates of events 4 competition answer the problem science activities at five tournaments A mathematical problem of activity 6 . A problem astronomy competition . Seven tournaments and events, computer skills . All events win scholarships . Certificate along with For more information, please contact . Faculty of Science and Technology , Chiang Rai Rajabhat University, Tel 053-776012 .

Informed source National Radio Station . Chiang Rai

Not much happening in Chiang Rai today....except for the biggest event in all of Thailand at this time of the year....RICE HARVEST!!!

I wish I were there...Rice Harvest event in Chiang Rai...too bad I have to work for my family....

Have a good night..and enjoy your Rice Harvest...

It is not directly a community event of the usual kind, but I got confirmed by a very reliable

source that we, in about 5 years, will be able to travel from Chiangrai to Bangkok by train.

More than thirty years it has been tried over and over again to get this project on the rails,

read: to get the budget to realise it.

Every year at the Mengrai Fair there was this stand with maps and all other information related

to the project untill five or six years ago. Then it became silent.

A couple of months ago suddenly banners appeared in town depicting a train and a typical

railroad 'Chiangrai' sign. Many serious faces on the banner as well: we recognized the former

president of Mae Fah Luang University, the unsurpassable Dr. Wanchai, we saw the omnipresent

grey hair of our former mayor with the same name and his evenso omnipresent wife, head of the

provincial administration Khun Ratana. Several other high ranking officers on municipal and provincial

level completed the group.

They finally did it! Chapeau!

Finally the railroad from Den Chai to Chiang Khong will be built. The land is bought (a part of the traject

will pass over crown property) and now the plans are developed for a gigantic terminal in Chiang Khong.

At the same time, at other desks, discussions are going on about high speed trains.

Wow?? you are lucky to have a high speed train so soon. I have to attend several Public hearings before it can be build in the Bay area San Francisco and Silicon Valley. Because the Riches do not want any train to pass by their lands and homes...

Amazing in America..my take and opinion.

Not much happening in Chiang Rai today....except for the biggest event in all of Thailand at this time of the year....RICE HARVEST!!!

I wish I were there...Rice Harvest event in Chiang Rai...too bad I have to work for my family....

Have a good night..and enjoy your Rice Harvest...

Bit slow are we today. :) Check the date of the original post you referred to.

Wow?? you are lucky to have a high speed train so soon.

High Speed train ?

Well compared to horses etc when you were building railroads in US during the 19th century.

But I do not think you can call 70 - 80 km/hour high speed today!

They are not building a new railroad from Bangkok to Chiang Khong what I understand, they are just extending the line from Den Chai up to Chiang Kong. And the line from BKK to Chiang Mai is the narrow railroad track so up to Chiang Khong should be the same.

But I hope the plans still are to have the nearest station from Chiang Rai here in Huay Sak !

:huh::blink::unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Coming Saturday, September 4th there is another Expats meeting at the InnCome hotel.

It starts at 10.00 hrs.

Non-members pay 150 baht entrance fee

Membership costs 500 baht, a member pays 100 baht entrance fee.

Every meeting there is a guest speaker, a DVD/book trade table and a lottery with price such as: a voucher of 250 baht to spend at a certain restaurant, a bottle of wine, etc.

Trading and winning only for members ;)

Went along to the meeting this morning. Seemed like a good mix of people.

Very interesting and inspirational speaker by the name of Dr. Jan Smit. He and his wife have been working with 'disadvantaged people' for some 17 years. For the last 6 they have been in Thailand running a foundation ( at which point I usually tune out) which looks after children who have, either, been incarcerated in prison with their mothers or left in unfortunate circumstances in their villages because of having no-one to care for them whilst their mothers are serving their sentences. Run by the two founders (who take no salary) with local Thai staff. Talk wasn't anti-Thai system, didn't condemn, looking to change society/systems slowly by helping and producing functioning adults from what were traumatised children. Great stuff.

The club has an'open forum' for questions so you can share local knowledge. A morning well spent, I thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Limbo, if you believe we'll have a train in 5 years,

i'm wondering,

could I interest you in some land that doesn't have a chanot?

or a bridge maybe? seems ChiangRai has an extra one...

:jap:

In the mean time the first train has arrived in Chiang Rai already!

By road transport! It's parked in front of the Sala Klang Kao, at

present the office of the Cultural Council. Some billboards ask

people to vote for the 'train party'.

The first of September the decisions were supposed to be taken concerning

the high-speed train project and the transnational Kunming - Singapore

connection.

So far it is a tug of war between the Democrats and the Bum Jai Thai.

The expectation is now that the Democrats might 'assume responsibility' for

the Nong Khai-Bangkok and Bangkok-Padang Pesar routes and Bum Jai Thai will

be in charge of the financial management of the Bangkok-Chiang Mai and

Bangkok-Rayong routes. This concerning the high speed train projects

(350 Billion Baht is a lot of money, so the 'gratification part' of the

budget has to be divided).

And the transnational high-speed train project linking Kunming, Laos, Bangkok

and Padang Pesar? Not yet put in the hands of the (Bum Jai Thai) Transport Ministry

so far, but still in the drawer of the (Democrat) Prime Minister.

I think that the present government understands very well that the real decision

is going to be taken in Beijing and that it is the Prime Ministers Office that has

to be in charge of negotiations.

It is said that China already has signed a memorandum of understanding with Laos

and would start building the railway next year.

Will they opt for Chiang Khong? The expectation is that they will do.

Land prices are sky rocketing for years already in that area and at the Laos side

farmers have already been removed from their 'strategical' lands.

But, my dear Joel, you're right: I respect my source greatly but I wouldn't bet on

this five years planning anymore.

Limbo :yohan:

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't open this link to find out more...is anybody having more success with it?

There is something happening at the Rimkok on the 22nd of October - art exhibition(?), hill-tribe show/ display and an evening buffet but I haven't got the full details yet, and I don't think it'll be the same thing as your posting.. Any more information on either of these events would be appreciated.

Couldn't open this link to find out more...is anybody having more success with it?

There is something happening at the Rimkok on the 22nd of October - art exhibition(?), hill-tribe show/ display and an evening buffet but I haven't got the full details yet, and I don't think it'll be the same thing as your posting.. Any more information on either of these events would be appreciated.

Here is another link:

http://www.tatnews.org/events/events/2010/oct/5051.asp

I got that one from mr Brian in a message.

:blink::o:(

:blink::o:(

This is a good example of the posting a year ago.

So what is going on in Chiang Rai now and what is coming up next month?

:o:D:D

There will be a big event-I think it is 7 of the biggest ressoorts in Chiang Rai,who goes together and do this:

A very big music and food festival from(i think) 22-26 Okt. in Chiang Rai.

There will be alot of intertaiment-music,art(painting contest) and so+alot of food.

This will mostly be free for Chiang Rai residents-exept the drinking and food.

You can find all about it on-facebook.dk-use the box in top of the site and type-Chiang Rai-Thailand.!

Thats the page,I have made about Chiang Rai and the northern area.

I want to put the stuff in here-but I am a fool-have tryed alot,but not succeed, to put thinks in here.

Brian

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know when in December, and where, the Chiang Rai Flower festival is being held this year?

Starting on 25th December until January 3rd, the flower festival will be at the same location as last year, beside the bridge on the back road to the airport.

It is near to the Tessban 6 high school.

1288516239.jpg

Does anyone know when in December, and where, the Chiang Rai Flower festival is being held this year?

Starting on 25th December until January 3rd, the flower festival will be at the same location as last year, beside the bridge on the back road to the airport.

It is near to the Tessban 6 high school.

1288516239.jpg

Thank you, Dingdong.

• 3 weeks later...

Representatives from the Chiangrai tourist police were at the Ex- Pats meeting today. One of them (David?) told us about an information service now available for anyone interested in finding out what is going socially and culturally in the province. I believe it is still not fully developed, but is being put together with the support of the Governer of CR province. If you have information about a local event, or are a business that wants to let people know about an event then - I think - you can contact them with the information. They produce a calender which displays what's on on a given day, and you click on it for more information, maps, etc. Had a look at it just now and looks very promising. Their website is chiangraitourist.com. It is not a business.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Late notice but I just noticed the parade when I took the dog out this morning.

It's the inter village football and sports day (at my village this year).

Great non-tourist, Thais and Hills Tribes having a good time stuff.

Karaoke and maybe boxing tonight.

Anyone interested, it's at HuaySan on the old Chiang Mai Road.

Drive to the 21km post and turn right at the next turn off. It's the Doi Chaang sign post.

After that you can't miss it.

Archived