Community Events in Chiang Rai

Limbo

I took the flower show in today.

A bit slow getting in and out, plenty of parking. Took some kids and a baby without problems.

Spent money, came home heavily laden and found a stall selling the smoked dried pork I'm partial to. Pea soup tomorrow.

post-38081-1199093210_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1199093284_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1199093317_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1199093362_thumb.jpg

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't the signs say it goes on to the 6th?

Yestereday me and mine had a diffult time getting in - people taking up both sides of the road so nobody could get out (though one BKK car decided to turn around)

couldn't get a free tea taste as a bunch of big-wigs had come with the PM's wife (I heard one say) and kept the supplier too busy

Hill-tribe houses not even as authentic or interesting as a couple years ago

nice to see healing herbs promoted a lot,

and some good baskets

Lots of nice flowers, way too many cameras

Most of the food worse than boring

easy enough to get out the back way... (thru Doi Hang, Hand Doi - sorry, I've been away a bit... past Rice-box hill and the prison then over the newly reconstructed small bridge and past the cliff a monk has long been carving a big image on...) to the Soi 5 MaeFaLuang Rd intersection.

• 3 weeks later...

foodfestival.gif

Chiang Rai 15th anual Food Festival start from tomorrow 17-21 january at old Airport (Sanambin kao) runway.

The event start at 17.00-24.00 pm. Many booths available to see, food, herbal medicines, otop products ect...

Event shows include, lanna show, celebrity show + concert, cabaret show, comedy showcase, singing contest, eating contest, game contest, ect...

Don't miss out!

• 3 weeks later...

There's a Valentine Show: Blind date and Mini concert at the PM/CVK Hall in Chiang Rai on (surprisingly enough) the 14th February. 5.30pm to 8.30pm.

It's being run by the "Filipinos and Friends in Chiang Rai".

It appears to be being run by Chiang Rai High School Students and Teachers and will have a band and solo violinists.

I'm reading this off the ticket.

I doubt I'll attend but bought a ticket in the village tonight in a weak moment. High School girls selling tickets have that effect on me. :o

Entry appears to be 100B a double.

I doubt I'll go either (I don't even go to my own b'day parties - though I had to attend my first one - or was that my 'coming out party'?),

Even so, where is PM/CVK Hall?

Are there many Filipinos in C.Rai? Missouri Joe would know.

No idea where the hall is. I suspect that the student was from Chiang Rai Vitthaya School which is listed as a sponsor, along with Thai Airways, Don's Cafe and Blue Room and many others.

She got my attention because she spoke better English than me.

I think there are a few Filipinos around the district working as teachers.

Two free events:

Sunday 10 Feb at 5pm:

The hill tribe students of Maechan open their workshop, Baan Rao. Simple opening, they offer tea and show their work.

Baan Roa is near the park of the old prison.

Info here: here

Friday 22 Feb at 18.30:

The Chiangrai Youth Orchestra plays at the Chiangrai First Church.

Info here: here

post-12654-1202551813_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

On the 23rd of March, a new troupe of hill tribe magicians made a unique performance during a gala dinner at Insii Thai House.

The dinner was the end of a project innitiated with the help of Belgian magician Sylvain Sluys.

The event was attended by numerous VIPs and distinguished guests from Chiangrai, Chiangmai, Bangkok, Malaysia and even Belgium.

Another performance, open to the public, will take place in Chiangmai on the 26th for over 4000 people.

The Hill Tribe Magic Show at the Convention Hall of the Chiangmai University.

7pm, free for everyone.

post-12654-1206298954_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1206298967_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1206298985_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1206298994_thumb.jpg

After the gala dinner at Insii Thai House for only 125 guests, the students performed for... over 4000 guests in Chiangmai.

Among them, Minister Jakrapok Penkair, who came from Bangkok, many diplomats and thousands of hill tribe people who came from the hill to see their magicians.

The new Chiangrai Hill Tribe Magic Troupe has already been offered to perform... in Malaysia in July!

post-12654-1206678016_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1206678052_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1206678103_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1206678137_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1206678185_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Some of the hill tribe magicians will make a small magic performance at Baan Rao , this Sunday 27th.

They will perform magic with cords, coins, cards, make objects appear and disappear, "create" money, etc...

But due to the small space available, there will be no levitation or grand illusion.

For those of you who could not attend the previous shows, this mini-performance is a good occasion to support the hill tribe students.

The show is free and everyone welcome.

Those who want to help them further can always buy a coffee or tea (no alcohol at Baan Rao) or maybe buy some of the students art pieces.

post-12654-1209037659_thumb.jpg

Some of the hill tribe magicians will make a small magic performance at Baan Rao , this Sunday 27th.

They will perform magic with cords, coins, cards, make objects appear and disappear, "create" money, etc...

But due to the small space available, there will be no levitation or grand illusion.

For those of you who could not attend the previous shows, this mini-performance is a good occasion to support the hill tribe students.

The show is free and everyone welcome.

Those who want to help them further can always buy a coffee or tea (no alcohol at Baan Rao) or maybe buy some of the students art pieces.

Thanks Gerry 1011

:o Wiley Coyote

Archived