Community Events in Chiang Rai

Limbo

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'll get bit for this. Maybe not. I need a good bite once in a while, anyway. Here is the link to Chiang Rai Focus, which is, as near as I can tell, the go-to place for the Thais in CR province for local news, products, discussions, maps and current events. I use Google Translate to translate the pages and it works pretty well for me. Pretty good site, really. If any of you follow it, you will likely find more things to post in this ThaiVisa thread and some others. My wife stays current with the CR Focus website, so I don't depend too much on this thread to keep me abreast of the current happenings.

http://www.chiangraifocus.com/

The site also has a free advertising section for those of you wanting to post ads targeting the Thai speakers in the area. That section won't translate as near as I can tell but your Thai partners/families should have no trouble entering ads. That section is near the bottom of the website.

Not being sure if this is allowed, I will hit the report button immediately after posting this and see if it remains here or not.

See the attached anouncement. My landlord has offered to reserve seats up front if I/we give him names in time to do so. If you are sure you will attend, then PM me your names and I will forward to him. You know as much as I do now but if you have questions I will ask him.:jap:

post-72121-0-10529200-1295340904_thumb.j

post-72121-0-76136800-1295340924_thumb.j

See the attached anouncement. My landlord has offered to reserve seats up front if I/we give him names in time to do so. If you are sure you will attend, then PM me your names and I will forward to him. You know as much as I do now but if you have questions I will ask him.:jap:

Anyone else attending?B)

I forwarded this information yesterday to another website and have just e-mailed the Hash group. Thanks for posting it up on here. P.S I've just realised I've been 'signed in' for days, is there a record to beat for stupidity?

Anyone else attending?B)

Two events related to Boomerang Adventure Park:

The first you may have already heard about: opening the first weekend of February, the 5th and 6th. 10 am until dark.

features: rock climbing, traverse climbing, tightrope walking, zip lines, frisbee golf, nearby short treks, outdoor restaurant with pizza and sandwiches.

- - - - - -

Solar Fair planned for 'Earth Day' weekend in April. April 22,23,24 (fri,sat,sun) - the weekend after Songkran. Featuring exhibits showcasing alternative energy, alternative building, alternative foods. Hands-on educational demonstrations and outdoor games as well.

Stall space for vendors available. Sample costs: 800 baht/day (with discount) for 12 square meter space. Details

Since you brought this to our attention, perhaps a little followup report to let us know how it went. ;)

Since you brought this to our attention, perhaps a little followup report to let us know how it went. ;)

You know better than me since you can understand Thai but if the target audience was (I hope) Thai ladies (married to falang) not the falang, then it was worthwhile. Nice room, nice lunch, well intentioned, well supported by staff. Q&A at the end was a communications exercise in futility for the English only speakers IMHO :ermm: .

Overall not sorry I went but I wished they had better explained the program beforehand. Would not have had to go back home to get a book to read.B) Saw a few new faces so that always helps.

The wife and I feel like we got something out of the program but we did show up late, just as they started in on a subject that we were interest in.

It was nice that they had tables at the back where you could ask specific questions and get more personal answers.

I agree that the English portion of the program was lacking and probably quite boring for you but it was on a par with what one should expect around here.

We learned something, had a mediocre free lunch with friends, and met some new people. I have had worse days and appreciate the governments effort, even if it fell a bit short for some of the farang members of the audience.

Lets hope they get better with practice.

A pictorial impression of some of the most beautiful cars of

the world visiting our province; more specificly Lamborghini's.

Those among us who drove for instance SAAB's many years ago will

remember that is was custom to flash your lights when you saw an

other one approaching. It was a kind of family feeling that united

the SAAB owners. A SAAB was not just a car. It was more like a

philosophy that you shared with others.

Nowadays it happens more often that owners of exclusive cars meet

each other in person to exchange views and to enjoy like-mindedness

in a relaxed atmosphere.

A little bit more than a year ago we saw a caravan of beautiful oldtimer

cars touring the province and happy landing in Maechan: Morgans, RR's, BMW's,

Alfa Romeo, VW Kharmann Ghia etc etc. Not so long time ago the Citroens passed

by on their Asia tour, the historical Traction Avants, the sensational DS and CX

and even Mehari's and, to no surprise, the unsurpassable Deux Cheveaux.

This time it were the Thai and foreign owned Lamborghinis that parked bumper

to bumper in Maechan. The Gallardos and Murcielagos were brotherly united.

A great delight for the eye of those who can appreciate beauty that originates

in and subsequently goes beyond functional design.

And in the ears of those who adore Wagner the sound must have been the equivalent

of the sirens in the 'Ride of the Valkyries', probably known to others from the

American movie 'Apocalypse now'.

Limbo :yohan:

. . . . . . . post-6305-0-22197900-1296524099_thumb.jp . . post-6305-0-15912600-1296524262_thumb.jp

. . . . . . post-6305-0-18368600-1296524232_thumb.jp . . post-6305-0-15713500-1296524194_thumb.jp

. . . . post-6305-0-35637500-1296524146_thumb.jp

Beautiful cars! It would have been nice if it were mentioned here BEFORE the event instead of after so that the riff-raff could have attended as well as the elite or, of it was invitation only which I imagine it was, we could have at least admired from a distance!

Beautiful cars! It would have been nice if it were mentioned here BEFORE the event instead of after so that the riff-raff could have attended as well as the elite or, of it was invitation only which I imagine it was, we could have at least admired from a distance!

Indeed, you are right, but it was a moving theatre and therefore difficult to predict in its details.

Just see it as the kind of news you are used to read in newspapers: Mostly it covers things that

already happened. You can't show pictures of new born princesses before they actually are born or of

lava streams before the vulcano actually erupted.

The event was organised in coöperation with EVO, so those concerned were informed. As you have presented

yourself several times in these columns as a passionate lover of sportscars it might be a good idea that

you make yourself known in this little world. Just contact them and introduce yourself and your 'wheels'.

Next time you might be invited to join a similar caravan yourself!

I hope to comfort you with some pictures of the Citroen Kuala Lumpur-Chiangrai-Bangkok tour, that enjoyed

a collective pit-stop in Maechan.

Limbo :yohan:

. . . . . . . . post-6305-0-65563500-1296788777_thumb.jppost-6305-0-43278800-1296788753_thumb.jp

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-0-61888300-1296788804_thumb.jp

citroen5.bmp

In fact it was announced in advance on Weah Radio by the DJs who told where the cars would be passing.

Quite a number of people went to Doi Tung, Maechan and the Chiangrai Clock Tower to see the cars.

But you are right, it would have been nice to have it included in the agenda of chiangraitourist .com too...

• 2 weeks later...

There's much excitement today in the village of Ban Sob Kham (just outside Chiang Saen) around a thousand people (g/f's estimate so could be a margin of error +/- 500!) turned up to help prepare for the visit tomorrow of HM the King's daughter (sorry, I don't know which one!) to Wat Phrathat Pah Ngao.

This is a very beautiful Wat anyway, and this event will make it even more worthy of a visit if you're in the area. There will be crowds! :wai:

• 2 months later...

In Chiang Rai, they will have the OTOP at the old airport 11 through 17 this month.

This info from the CR Tourist info monthly newsletter.

There are typically many events listed monthly in the Chiang Rai Tourist info newsletter. If anyone isn't on the e-mailing list for that newsletter and wants to be, send me a PM. I'll hook you up with the folks who do the newsletter.

Sorry. You don't actually get the newsletter, you get the notification that it is published for that month, highlights of what is going on for the current month and the link to the newsletter website.

• 2 months later...

Sorry. You don't actually get the newsletter, you get the notification that it is published for that month, highlights of what is going on for the current month and the link to the newsletter website.

On the 19th July at Le Meridien, there is going to be an all-day seminar/presentation under the auspices of the ChiangRai Health authority. The aim appears to be to involve and inform 'long-stay foreign residents' about what the local health facilities provide.

The initiative is part of their broader remit to take care of all foreigners in the province - including refugees and immigrants, of which the majority come from neighbouring countries but may come from as far afield as North Korea.

The seminar is designed to inform foreign residents of the health services available in Chiang Rai and includes presentations from all the major hospitals and also some alternative health care hospitals. It is the first step in a process of being more inclusive in decision making and also providing a way of feeding back into the overseas community what services are available.

Additionally the province will also be introducing a new initiative to promote Health Tourism, which includes the renovation of Hot Springs, a Sunday Walking St, Homestay and more.

There is more information on the website that Kandahar mentions and who to contact if you wish to attend.

P.S It's free and there's lunch and refreshments included.

The 7th International Art festival was opened to the Public today at Mae Fah Luang Art and Cultural Park.

Running from today until the 15th August, it exhibits art works by a large number of international and Thai artists completed in the workshop period they attended here just before the exhibition opens.

It showcases works from artists from USA, Japan, Korea, South Africa,Sri lanka and many other countries, all of whom are invited to come and join in the experience here in CR. The art works are currently on display in the main display hall of the gardens. Entry today was free because it coincided with the celebration of the Princess Mother 's life that is held in the gardens each year - but it usually costs non- Thai 200 B to go into the park. It has some of the best manicured and laid out gardens here, mixed with traditional or reassembled Thai buildings, lovely lakes and a huge sala and is a must to see if you get the chance - never mind the added bonus of some wonderful art.

The gardens open until 16.30 each day.

P.S. It's not just pretty pictures of flowers - there's some great abstracts and a wide range of styles and subject matter on display.

"On the 19th July at Le Meridien, there is going to be an all-day seminar/presentation under the auspices of the ChiangRai Health authority. The aim appears to be to involve and inform 'long-stay foreign residents' about what the local health facilities provide.

The initiative is part of their broader remit to take care of all foreigners in the province - including refugees and immigrants, of which the majority come from neighbouring countries but may come from as far afield as North Korea.

The seminar is designed to inform foreign residents of the health services available in Chiang Rai and includes presentations from all the major hospitals and also some alternative health care hospitals. It is the first step in a process of being more inclusive in decision making and also providing a way of feeding back into the overseas community what services are available."

I think that's 19 Sept - that's when I was informed it will be anyway. If the info above is correct, I missed it, and wonder how it was...

"On the 19th July at Le Meridien, there is going to be an all-day seminar/presentation under the auspices of the ChiangRai Health authority. The aim appears to be to involve and inform 'long-stay foreign residents' about what the local health facilities provide.

The seminar is designed to inform foreign residents of the health services available in Chiang Rai and includes presentations from all the major hospitals and also some alternative health care hospitals. It is the first step in a process of being more inclusive in decision making and also providing a way of feeding back into the overseas community what services are available."

I think that's 19 Sept - that's when I was informed it will be anyway. If the info above is correct, I missed it, and wonder how it was...

There was definately one on the 19th July, as I went along. maybe they have another one planned for Sept.?

No, my info (from Sabun-nga) was wrong... I hear 50 Farang atended!

how was it? interesting? boring? food any good?

For me it was more an event to see and meet the people involved than receiving valuable information. It that regard it succeeded. The menu was rather limited but it was OK and served the purpose.B) I probably learned something but can not recall specifically.

For me it was more an event to see and meet the people involved than receiving valuable information. It that regard it succeeded. The menu was rather limited but it was OK and served the purpose.B) I probably learned something but can not recall specifically.

To a large extent. I would agree with you. It was an opportunity to see who's who, meet people who don't attend the 'usual' events and to get some information about the health services. Most of the imp. info was obtained during the networking we all did between the sessions.

What was really important, and the reason I would go along to something like this again, was that we (Non-Thai long stayers) were specifically catered for, invited, and great efforts had been made to make it as accessible to us as possible - the majority of the day was in English. Japanese, Koreans, Laotians, Chinese, Cambodians as well as people from European backgrounds attended. So it deserves a 'thank you' as far as I'm concerned.

To a large extent. I would agree with you. It was an opportunity to see who's who, meet people who don't attend the 'usual' events and to get some information about the health services. Most of the imp. info was obtained during the networking we all did between the sessions.

What was really important, and the reason I would go along to something like this again, was that we (Non-Thai long stayers) were specifically catered for, invited, and great efforts had been made to make it as accessible to us as possible - the majority of the day was in English. Japanese, Koreans, Laotians, Chinese, Cambodians as well as people from European backgrounds attended. So it deserves a 'thank you' as far as I'm concerned.

AGREED B)

This Saturday and Sunday (30 and 31 of July) Chivit Thamma Da will have a small Jazzband playing between 16.00 and 19.00.

They have some very nice dishes, they have many different coffee, really nice homebaked cakes, quite a few imported beers and also some nice wine.

If you come from city going north on highway 1 (superhighway), turn left at the traffic-light after going over the bridge, then take soi 3 or soi 5 down to the river, turn left and at the end of the road you find Chivit Thamma Da.

Chivit Thamma Da

:D;):D

This Saturday and Sunday (30 and 31 of July) Chivit Thamma Da will have a small Jazzband playing between 16.00 and 19.00.

They have some very nice dishes, they have many different coffee, really nice homebaked cakes, quite a few imported beers and also some nice wine.

If you come from city going north on highway 1 (superhighway), turn left at the traffic-light after going over the bridge, then take soi 3 or soi 5 down to the river, turn left and at the end of the road you find Chivit Thamma Da.

Chivit Thamma Da

:D;):D

Been there a couple of times now, very nice! Currently 50% off their Spa treatments as an opening promotion but not sure how long for. The fish&chips are worth a mention too.

Alright, relatively new to this world of Thai Visa forum-ing... so excuse me if I stumble upon any taboos/am posting information that is elsewhere/etc.

As many of you have likely noticed --- Chiangrai streets are strapped down with advertisements for the "Sankhong Happy Street" - there will be a walking street starting up this Sunday, August 7th, in Sankhong. This street is geared to be a cultural event for the four Sundays in August and will be continued if it is a success. Cultural tents, including Japan and China, will be doing cultural shows.

I am in the process of organizing a ten-foot tent titled "Western Impressions" and in search of musicians for the night of August, 7th (highlighting American music for that night in particular). Any harmonica or bluegrass music players out there? American folk and pop could also be acceptable, but might not fit the dress. Also any other "American" performance - swing dancing, square dancing, etc. are more than welcome! ;) If so, please contact me directly (WARNING: There WILL be a "try out" of sorts before anyone is chosen to perform) or stop by the Prataap Jai Tea House (located in Sankhong about 100 meters down from Sa Bun Nga) and ask for "Amber"/"Nampeung"

http://www.sankhongstreet.com

Thank you, thank you and I hope to hear from you all. If not, stop by the tent any of the upcoming Sundays in August and say hello!

Future weeks are "Brazil", "Hawaii" and a spackling of Europe as well. Most of the plans are locked down, but if there are any motivated folks out there I am more than happy to accept volunteers, and/or "cultural ambassadors" ;)

post-135552-0-12812100-1312364134_thumb.

Archived