The Wp3 Form

I just got back from a trip to Penang. I was denied a non-B visa because I didn't have a wp3 receipt. So now I'm not exactly sure what to do. A few questions:

1) How do I get a wp3? Apparantly the HR department at the university doesn't know because they insisted that I had all the documentation I needed (even though I told them 3 times that it wasn't enough).

2) How long does it take to get one?

3) Is it still possible to change a tourist visa to a non-B without leaving Thailand? If so, how and where?

Any info you have would be much appreciated as I have to discuss this with the HR director in the morning.

BBTJ

It would be really great to hear from Lopburi3 and/or Sunbelt about this.

I am not current on employment visas but thought the work permit/application receipt was only required for a multi entry visa - that you could obtain a single entry with the normal handful of paperwork.

Immigration still lists conversion with below rules:

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-B ): WORKING AS A TEACHER IN THAILAND

In case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Application for visa. (TM.87)

Copy of passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

To be a teacher in a GOVERNMENT school or university.

As a teacher at the University

• A letter from the director of university , requesting visa or visa status alteration.

As a teacher at the school

• A letter from the department concerned under the Ministry of Education or a letter from the governor of province, requesting for visa or visa status alteration.

And

• Employment certification form (Download the form from Labor Dept. website)

• A copy of employment contract. (The start working date shown in employment contract must be the same date with application or after getting approval of visa alteration.)

• Diploma and transcript of the applicant. (Must show the original and copy to the officer as proof)

To be a teacher in a PRIVATE school or university.

As a teacher at the University

• A letter from the rector of university, requesting visa or visa status alteration.

As a teacher at the school

• A letter from the department concerned under the Ministry of Education or in the case of lower academic levels in education, a letter from the governor of province, requesting for visa or visa status alteration.

And

• Employment certification form (Download the form from Labor Dept. website)

• A copy of employment contract. (The start working date shown in employment contract must be the same date with application or after getting approval of visa alteration.)

• Diploma and transcript of the applicant. (Must show the original and copy to the officer as proof)

• A Certified copy of the registration papers of the educational institution. (Certified by authority signature and institute’s seal or stamp.)

• A Certified copy of the license of the school or university administrator(Certified by authority signature and institute’s seal or stamp.)

I am not current on employment visas but thought the work permit/application receipt was only required for a multi entry visa - that you could obtain a single entry with the normal handful of paperwork.

I guess it's required for all non-B visas now. I only applied for a single entry. Do you know what I/the HR department have to do to get the wp3?

I thought they needed a non immigrant visa in your passport and make work permit application, but as I said am not up on business/employment type things as never used them. Others should be able to answer you much better.

Sorry to hear that you got bumped by Penang.

The list of requirements for a non Immigrant B visa are at the following link to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2492

You will see in the link that both Work Permit and Invitation Letter from the Ministry of Labour are listed. Obviously you do not have a work permit, but the Invitation Letter mentioned is a slip of paper (kind of receipt) that you get from Labour when you apply for a workpermit. Form WP3 is the application form for a work permit.

Hope this helps.

Also you mention that your employer is a university. It is my understanding, from other posts on this site, that you may require a police check if you plan to use your non B visa to teach.

The list of requirements for a non Immigrant B visa are at the following link to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2492

You will see in the link that both Work Permit and Invitation Letter from the Ministry of Labour are listed. Obviously you do not have a work permit, but the Invitation Letter mentioned is a slip of paper (kind of receipt) that you get from Labour when you apply for a workpermit. Form WP3 is the application form for a work permit.

Hope this helps.

Also you mention that your employer is a university. It is my understanding, from other posts on this site, that you may require a police check if you plan to use your non B visa to teach.

I'm just going through this nonsense.

1) Apparently you need a degree, and a verification letter from your university, saying that someone of that name was issued such a degree on that date.

2) Your employer then applies to the Ministry for an invitation letter.

3) You get the invitation letter.

4) You start applying for a Work Permit.

5) You start applying for a non-imm. B, or you start applying to turn your tourist visa into a non-imm. B.

6) A miracle happens.

Regards

- Roger -

PS I would appreciate early warning of anything to the contrary. RH

Hope this helps.

I'm just going through this nonsense.

1) Apparently you need a degree, and a verification letter from your university, saying that someone of that name was issued such a degree on that date.

2) Your employer then applies to the Ministry for an invitation letter.

3) You get the invitation letter.

4) You start applying for a Work Permit.

5) You start applying for a non-imm. B, or you start applying to turn your tourist visa into a non-imm. B.

6) A miracle happens.

Regards

- Roger -

PS I would appreciate early warning of anything to the contrary. RH

1) Labour require proof of your qualification (knowledge/skills) to do the job in question, what they require depends on the job you will be doing. So for your work permit, I will hazard a guess that a verified copy of your degree certifcate may well be required. For other jobs Labour may require other certificates, etc.

You will also require a recent basic health check from a recognised Hospital (tell them it's for a work permit).

2) 3) 4) The Invitation letter is a small slip of paper, which is issued when your work permit application is made by submitting the WP3 application form to Labour. If you get your paperwork right, you will eventually receive your work permit.

5) 6) As regards your non B visa; if you are applying at a Thai Embassy or Consulate in a neighbouring Asian country, your visa will initially be a 3 month single entry non immigrant B - no miracle required.

Form WP3 is in fact a two page, double sided, A4 form issued by the Thai Department of Employment. It is used by a prospective employer to apply for a work permit for an alien.

From what I understand, WP3 is a pre-approval for the work permit. Applicant is supposed to be out of the country, while his employer applies with all the documents for a work permit at the labour department, and once a WP3 document is received, it pretty much means both the applicant and employer are eligible for issuing work permit, so the applicant can request a non-B visa (single entry) then pick up the work permit once entering Thailand.

When the application is lodged at the Labour Department, the prospective employer receives a receipt, which is the Invitation Letter referred to in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs notes on Non Immigrant "B" Visa application procedures.

This Invitation letter (which is a small slip of paper) is shown, along with the other required documents, when the alien is applying for a Non Immigrant "B" Visa. Normally, in the Asian region, Thai Consulates will first issue a 3 month Single Entry Non-Immigrant "B" if all the paperwork is correct.

You do not have to be out of the country when the work permit application is made.

It often takes some time before Labour issue the work permit and it is illegal for the alien to work before they actually hold the work permit.

Edited by digitalchromakey

• 1 year later...
hello,

i'm in Kotabaru for Non-B Visa, have all the documents, but no WP3 form, and they are asking for it.

But my lower says that i do not need it, cause i'm director of the company.

So maybe somebody can confirm that.. thank you

Sight of work permit or Form WP3 is a commonly requested document by embassies/consulates in the region when applying for Non-B visa. The MFA’s website is clear on that. To my knowledge being a director makes no difference at all.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2492

If you can't get Non-B visa see if they will give you single entry Non-O. You can then use Non-O (like NonB) to obtain your work permit when back in Thailand. Otherwise, you will have to start WP process and go back outside country and apply for Non-B visa again.

Edited by thaiphoon

• 1 year later...

I do have a question about WP3 too. Most of this procedure works if the company is Thai apparently.

But I just got hired by a HongKong company for developping business in Thailand, Indonesia and Amlaysia. For convenience reason, they want me to be based in Thailand.

I will leave next week to HK, my question is : do I have to go monday to the immigration to pick up the WP3 form ? I am currently living in Bangkok.

Any others suggestions ? I just thought no need to create a new topic out of it, but I can do if necessary

Thanks in advance for your help

I do have a question about WP3 too. Most of this procedure works if the company is Thai apparently.

But I just got hired by a HongKong company for developping business in Thailand, Indonesia and Amlaysia. For convenience reason, they want me to be based in Thailand.

I will leave next week to HK, my question is : do I have to go monday to the immigration to pick up the WP3 form ? I am currently living in Bangkok.

Any others suggestions ? I just thought no need to create a new topic out of it, but I can do if necessary

Thanks in advance for your help

If you do not have a Thai entity "sponsor" you, you will find it very difficult to get a WP.

The easiest solutions in your case would be

1. Set up a representative office for the HK company in Thailand

2. For the short term get a non-imm B for the purposes to looking at setting up business' in Thailand ( A legal company can normally give you a letter of invitation)

for the long term to be fully legal need to have a Thai entity set you and your WP through this.