Khmer Mom Beats And Abuses Four Year Old Daughter; Forces Her To Beg For Money

Pattaya_Fox

KHMER MOM BEATS AND ABUSES FOUR YEAR OLD DAUGHTER; FORCES HER TO BEG FOR MONEY

post-15964-1192711498_thumb.jpg

A Khmer mother was arrested and charged with child abuse for forcing her four year old daughter to beg in the streets at night time.

On 18 October 2007, at 1 AM, Pattaya Police Lieutenant Colonel Santi Chai-niranam received a phone call, from a tourist, that a foreign woman had abused and beaten up her own daughter and forced her to sell chewing gum and beg for money around the beer bars on Soi Bua Khao and Diana Inn Beer Bar Group, Moo 9, Nongprue. Police Lieutenant Colonel Grit Larb-ithisan rushed to the area to investigate.

Officials encountered a young Khmer girl named “Bo” (alias), about four years old, who was crying and being consoled by a tourist. The young girl had many bruises on her arms and legs. Bo said that her mother had taken her from their country and snuck into Thailand. They came to Pattaya to beg in order to pay off debts. Her mother, apparently, has done this for many years.

Everyday, her mother left her near beer bars and she was expected to beg for money from tourists and sell chewing gum. Each day, she made from five hundred to one thousand baht. Her mother left a mobile phone, which she hung around her neck, and called her to check how much money she had made. She came and picked her up every night. Bo’s mom kept all the money that Bo made. If Bo refused to go out begging, she was beaten up, unmercifully.

Bar girls often scolded Bo because she disturbed the tourists. On this particular night, she was left near a beer bar again, but hadn’t made enough money as she was afraid of the police. However, her mother called and bullied her to make more money. She also showed up and started beating her up. At this point, bystanders, who were appalled by what they witnessed, called the police; but her mother had disappeared by the time they arrived.

While the police were interviewing the young girl, Bo, they noticed a woman standing nearby looking at her. Bo pointed to the woman and indicated that she was her mother. The police immediately detained the woman who was, apparently, Bo’s mother. She gave her name as Miss Yung (31), from Cambodia, but was unable to produce a passport. She said that she has been sneaking into Thailand for more than three years. She said that she did not abuse her daughter, but just wanted her daughter to assist her in making money so she could get out of debt. As for the bruises on her body, they were just a result of normal punishments as she had been a naughty girl. However, police weren’t buying this and took Miss Yung to the police station.

At the police station, Miss Yung admitted that she forced her daughter to sell chewing gum and beg for money from tourists. She would normally make one thousand to two thousand baht per day; but, as it was low season, she was only bringing home about five hundred baht, daily. Therefore, she had forced her daughter to sell chewing gum and beg in the vicinity of the beer bars. Only when the bars closed, could “Bo,” finally, go back home. If she didn’t earn enough money, she was beaten up as punishment.

The officials gave Miss Young a stern talking to and charged her under the Alien Act. She was charged with entering Thailand illegally. Young “Bo” was, temporarily, sent to the Youth and Child Rights Protection of Pra-Mahatai Foster Home and will be sent back to Miss Yung before they are deported from Thailand.

Pattaya Daily News

October 18 2007

... and will be sent back to Miss Yung before they are deported from Thailand.

[\quote]

Well, that really is going to help the welfare of this child, isn't it??

Sometimes I despair of the attitude of Thai people to the problems of others who are not Thai.

I thought Buddhism ideals/beliefs (and that of other religions) doesn't stop at national boundaries??

Simon

Yes, that'll do a lot of good. She's sneak back into Thailand again and start the same caper off somewhere else. She was making good money...apparently from 4,000 to 14,000 a week depending on the season.

This makes me very sad.

It is very easy of most of us Farangs who have comparitvely so much to forget about the plight of the poor, especially the children. We all need to have more compassion for poor children.

In Pattaya they have an orphanage called Fr Ray's Orphanage. I implore every one to give what they can to help the children!

This makes me very sad.

It is very easy of most of us Farangs who have comparitvely so much to forget about the plight of the poor, especially the children. We all need to have more compassion for poor children.

In Pattaya they have an orphanage called Fr Ray's Orphanage. I implore every one to give what they can to help the children!

This problem is diffferent. Many of these children have parents and they're doing quite well financially.

This makes me very sad.

This problem is diffferent. Many of these children have parents and they're doing quite well financially.

theres nothing anyone can do to help this poor girl ,just be thankfull its a very rare case and its not your child :o

Sometimes I despair of the attitude of Thai people to the problems of others who are not Thai.

I thought Buddhism ideals/beliefs (and that of other religions) doesn't stop at national boundaries??

Simon

This is a really sad situation for any child to find herself in but I don't believe this has anything to do with the Thai people or their attitude towards others or their religious beliefs either.

They have laws here which must be followed and unfortunately when the 'Rights and Duties of Parent and Child Act' was written, they obviously didn't consider that a parent would possibly go to these lengths to get money.

Section 1567. A person exercising parental power has the right:

1. to determine the child's place of residence;

2. to punish the child in a reasonable manner for disciplinary purposes;

3. to require the child to do such work as may be reasonable to his ability and condition in life;

4. to demand the return of the child from any person who unlawfully detains him/her;

If what this mother has done to her child is seen as reasonable I hate to think what she will demand her to do for money when she grows up a little.

Simon

This is a really sad situation for any child to find herself in but I don't believe this has anything to do with the Thai people or their attitude towards others or their religious beliefs either.

They have laws here which must be followed and unfortunately when the 'Rights and Duties of Parent and Child Act' was written, they obviously didn't consider that a parent would possibly go to these lengths to get money.

Section 1567. A person exercising parental power has the right:

1. to determine the child's place of residence;

2. to punish the child in a reasonable manner for disciplinary purposes;

3. to require the child to do such work as may be reasonable to his ability and condition in life;

4. to demand the return of the child from any person who unlawfully detains him/her;

If what this mother has done to her child is seen as reasonable I hate to think what she will demand her to do for money when she grows up a little.

if they can arrest pedophiles, they can arrest child beaters.Thailand needs to learn that it is not really acceptable to continue it's ploy of claiming poverty in any instances it wants just to get a financial advantage. time the big shots start paying the cost of living, they seem to certainly to be getting the benefit of this life.

This makes me very sad.

Indeed i do sir - i sponsor 2 kids there. They do fantastic work.