You Are What You Eat!

YangYaiEric

I've recently decided to convert to a vegitarian diet in order to cut my body-weight down from 110 Kg to approx. 90 Kg. I've been on this vegitarian diet (not Vegan, as I still eat dairy product like milk, eggs, cheese etc) for 1 week now and have lost 2 Kg! :o WOW!

I plan on sticking to a veggie diet for as long as I can, and was wondering if anyone else has gone the Vegitarian food route in the past, and how they found the change in diet and life-style. Any comments ?

if you were eating enough foods within the last week you did not loose 2 kg fat - maybe it was just water (you did not drink enough) or even some gut flora which died away.

if your previous diet was rich on salt, artificial preservatives and processed foods than with a healthy diet, low on those, you lost body fluids, lymph which were there before diluting all the harmful substances in the body. Do not forget to drink water what you drank in the past or even more, as you body needs to detoxify.

as your weight gain took you some few years do not expect it loose it within weeks - unless you choose fasting (only water). Thus you can think of gradually moving aside diary products, especially cheese which is some 50% fat.

if you were eating enough foods within the last week you did not loose 2 kg fat - maybe it was just water (you did not drink enough) or even some gut flora which died away.

if your previous diet was rich on salt, artificial preservatives and processed foods than with a healthy diet, low on those, you lost body fluids, lymph which were there before diluting all the harmful substances in the body. Do not forget to drink water what you drank in the past or even more, as you body needs to detoxify.

as your weight gain took you some few years do not expect it loose it within weeks - unless you choose fasting (only water). Thus you can think of gradually moving aside diary products, especially cheese which is some 50% fat.

Thanks for the input 'londonThai'. I must say that I'm quite surprised, and pleased, at my not having any 'meat withdrawal' symptoms as yet. With 1 week under my belt, I think it will be plain-sailing for me :o .

If you are eating dairy products and eggs you will not have withdrawal symptoms! Howerer, if you really want to cut your weight keep these to a minimal amount. A veggie diet is healthy and if you are sensible you will lose weight, don't forget to up your exercise too.

Good luck!

I've recently decided to convert to a vegitarian diet in order to cut my body-weight down from 110 Kg to approx. 90 Kg. I've been on this vegitarian diet (not Vegan, as I still eat dairy product like milk, eggs, cheese etc) for 1 week now and have lost 2 Kg! :o WOW!

I plan on sticking to a veggie diet for as long as I can, and was wondering if anyone else has gone the Vegitarian food route in the past, and how they found the change in diet and life-style. Any comments ?

I haven't gone on a vegetarian diet, but since three weeks ago when I had my annual checkup at the doctor, I've had to drastically change my eating habits. When you're told the electrocardiogram shows a small blocked artery, and the stethoscope shows a slight heart murmer, that wasn't there last year, plus fatty liver, you sit up and take notice. Perhaps in the distant future, I'll require a pacemaker, or so I was told. At some point I'll be booked in for an echocardiogram at the hospital. It could be genetics, or more possibly my crappy diet which was 50/50 health foods plus junk food. Obviously, that doesn't work. I'm lucky I don't like cheese, so that's not a problem. A couple of years ago, I switched from milk to unsweetened, low fat soy drink. It took me a couple of days to get used to it, but now I find it a good substitute. I've dropped red meat altogether, and I don't miss it. I don't eat eggs all that much, but when I do prefer the ones where the chickens are fed flax seed, for the omega-3 content. I'm in Canada, so I don't know if you can find them in Thailand. I only use two oils, Canola and extra-virgin olive. I hate veggies, but I'm slowly learning to tolerate them. At least I don't have a problem with fruit. I love high fibre, whole grain cereals and brown rice. As for losing weight, it's easy at the beginning, when as suggested you lose water, and also possibly muscle. I've lost eight pounds in the last three weeks, with only twenty to go. That last twenty I expect to be the toughest, but I'm in no rush. Oh and don't forget about portion control. A few diets you may want to research on the web, in no particular order - Mediterranean diet, Japanese (especially Okinawa), and GI diet. They've all got good ideas which have helped me, although I have no favourites.

Best of luck, because it's for a lifetime.

I haven't gone on a vegetarian diet, but since three weeks ago when I had my annual checkup at the doctor, I've had to drastically change my eating habits. When you're told the electrocardiogram shows a small blocked artery, and the stethoscope shows a slight heart murmer, that wasn't there last year, plus fatty liver, you sit up and take notice. Perhaps in the distant future, I'll require a pacemaker, or so I was told. At some point I'll be booked in for an echocardiogram at the hospital. It could be genetics, or more possibly my crappy diet which was 50/50 health foods plus junk food. Obviously, that doesn't work. I'm lucky I don't like cheese, so that's not a problem. A couple of years ago, I switched from milk to unsweetened, low fat soy drink. It took me a couple of days to get used to it, but now I find it a good substitute. I've dropped red meat altogether, and I don't miss it. I don't eat eggs all that much, but when I do prefer the ones where the chickens are fed flax seed, for the omega-3 content. I'm in Canada, so I don't know if you can find them in Thailand. I only use two oils, Canola and extra-virgin olive. I hate veggies, but I'm slowly learning to tolerate them. At least I don't have a problem with fruit. I love high fibre, whole grain cereals and brown rice. As for losing weight, it's easy at the beginning, when as suggested you lose water, and also possibly muscle. I've lost eight pounds in the last three weeks, with only twenty to go. That last twenty I expect to be the toughest, but I'm in no rush. Oh and don't forget about portion control. A few diets you may want to research on the web, in no particular order - Mediterranean diet, Japanese (especially Okinawa), and GI diet. They've all got good ideas which have helped me, although I have no favourites.

Best of luck, because it's for a lifetime.

Thanks for your input Taggart , appreciate your views and thoughts! Apart from following a veggie diet, I've also taken to jogging every other day, clocking-up approx 1.5 Km each jog.

Gook luck to you, and to us all who desire a life change :D

YangYai

• 2 years later...

There are plenty of fat unhealthy vegetarians out there, a well balanced diet and exercise will help you reduce your weight.

You Are What You Eat! So pork eaters are pigs? Are vegetarians carrots?

Good luck annoyed.gif

A lot of hype about vegetarianism (last wave was in the 90s) doesn't mean it's good for you, and 'some' studies suggest they get sicker and die earlier (yes, conspiracy theorists will say these studies were conducted by the meat producers... as will other conspiracy theorists say that 'pro-vegetarian' studies were conducted by the vegetable producers).

Sure, our very ancient ancestors 'might' have been vegetarians but they also died MUCH earlier than we do today.

If "weight loss" is your bench mark of good health, you actually probably would have lost around 3 to 4 KILOGRAMS on a vegetable (no sugar/starch) + meat-and-fat diet (Atkins/Southbeach) for one 1 week. Again, doesn't mean it's good for you.

Your vegetarian weight loss could've been an indicator of malnutrition more than anything else, rather than good-nutrition.

Edited by junkofdavid2

• 1 month later...

My personal experience on this. I converted to a vegetarian diet a few years back. The first thing I noticed is that I never missed meat in my foods, I enjoyed the vegetarian food I was eating. Also I felt I had much higher energy levels and after eating a meal I never got that terrible bloating feeling after a meal. Also it's nice being able to eat what you want without worrying about putting weight on.

After 2 years of being a vegetarian I was on holiday in Lanzarote, Spain and we went on a bbq trip on top of a volcano. All the food cooked on it. I failed because there was no vegetarian food on the menu and I was so hungry. I ate chicken and became very ill over a few days and ended up in hospital. Turns out I received Salmonella from the chicken. But none of my friends were affected.