Advice Please

Hi all! New to Phuket and am thinking of studying for a TEFL certification. I have a DipAD from the UK - but a long time ago, and used to tutor part time there. No teaching formal teaching certification (all done on a wink and a nod in those days).

I live in a place called Chalong, and I've noticed a teaching school near the harbour (the small road leads to the docks). Does anyone have any experience with this particular school? I see from the local paper they have a branch in Patong too. Can it be recommended, would be convenient for me. If not, any alternatives?

Hello Jacky

If i were you i would do the CELTA at International House in BKK. It is THEE tefl certificate to obtain and will stand you in good sted for the future as well as internationally if you needed to teach elsewhere.

Regards

That schools is TTT. Tefl Teacher Training. Run by a guy name Dave. I took the course a while back. He is a good teacher, but often shows up inebriated and the courses go downhill for the final 2 weeks. A shame, as he is a brilliant teacher.

I would recommend Text and Talk. You will regret this other one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou to everyone who took the trouble to reply. I've been put off a bit by the school in Chalong, from what has been said. I drove past there a few days ago and saw some guy standing outside on a cigarette break with a bunch of ladies looking like they were from the entertainment industry. Looked a little seedy on the whole, and really don't want to waste money on a half baked course where the tutor turns up half cut half the time!

Have also been in touch with Text and Talk who tell me they are no longer offering TEFL courses on Phuket as they lost the lease to their building. Bit odd as I would have thought there would be enough work here for them to invest in leasing another building, but there we have it.

I'm rather committed to Phuket for the foreseeable future, and so am wondering if it would be worthwhile after all training elsewhere, as I would definitely need to work on Phuket. But my feeling is that there are probably an awful of of qualified teachers chasing available work on the island. Am I correct in this assumption? If so, would rather not invest time and money in something which I would be hard pressed to find employment with afterwards. Any thoughts, advice gratefully received.

Hi all! New to Phuket and am thinking of studying for a TEFL certification. I have a DipAD from the UK - but a long time ago, and used to tutor part time there. No teaching formal teaching certification (all done on a wink and a nod in those days).

I live in a place called Chalong, and I've noticed a teaching school near the harbour (the small road leads to the docks). Does anyone have any experience with this particular school? I see from the local paper they have a branch in Patong too. Can it be recommended, would be convenient for me. If not, any alternatives?

TEFL Plus in Patong. I can truly recommend this plus to get certified, thay can advise you on schools for work. Goodluck.

TEFL Plus in Patong. I can truly recommend this plus to get certified, thay can advise you on schools for work. Goodluck.

I did my TEFL with Patong Language School. It's the TEFLplus certificate mentioned above. I thought it was a good course, professionally run and I got lot out of it. The school gave me some work after the course, so I got some good early experience. I'm now teaching at a school in Bangkok and loving it. My decision to leave Phuket was due to lack of decent paid work on the island, but I'm sure a lot of teachers get by.

As far as language schools having students from the entertainment industry. I wouldn't worry too much about that personally. They are paying customers too and it shouldn't reflect the standard of courses offered. Just my opinion.

Good luck - hope you enjoy whichever course you do.

Thankyou for the advice re the Patong language school. It seems likely they may be of a more professional outfit than the one in Chalong. Sorry if my comment re the ladies from the entertainment industry sounded disparaging, I agree it may have come across that way. But if I'm considering spending time and money on a course, any course, I would prefer it presented itself a bit more professionally than the sight of a course leader with a drink problem hanging around outside the establishment sharing fags with a bunch of hos.