How To Hire The Right People

freitag1

I was running the multimedia design department of an international design company here in Bangkok and we went through a lot of problems trying to hire the right qualified people. This is/was probably the case because this area of education in Thailand is years behind the western world and some multimedia design academies just teach their students very very basic stuff. Besides that we had some pretty lazy employees who were not able to work without very strict supervision.

Anyway, I have my own company now and we work in a different area but as I saw in other threads, several people in this forum are running successful businesses so i think it would be great if we can exchange our views on this topic.

Where are you looking for candidates you might hire and what are the qualities those people should have?

I have found hiring staff (for whatever position) is extremely hit & miss in Thailand. Advertising a job of some description, the aplicants file in, fill out appications & we will sift through them & arrange short interviews.

In my experience some of the best qualified can turn out to be lazy duds, & some kid with no experience, qualifications or references who, insists on getting an interview, can turn out to an absolute gem.

For me, the 2 minute interview carries 80 - 90% of the chance for the applicant to gain employment in our businesses.

Sure enough, once in a while mistakes are made. This is just part of doing business & the important thing is to pick up on a bad hiring decision quickly.

Cheers,

Soundman.

i am trying to hire hotel staff at the moment in phuket. what a nightmare. a kid still in university applied for a restaurant managers position and was asking for 20k per month! others have no experience at all in hotels and want to come in as sales and marketing at 35k per month.

the process is long and difficult but i find that the easiest department to hire has been my housekeeping department. unskilled workers who dont care how high or low their salary is as they almost always get cash tips left in the guest rooms.

i have seen some great people, who i would love to employ, and many who were complete social misfits.

i dont think that thailand is any different from any other country though. i have interviewed many people in australia too who were just not suitable for the role they were applying for.