Ok, Own Up, Who Was It?

sceadugenga

Yesterday a group of younger family members, including couple of nieces and their husbands and some school kids, headed to Big C to spend their money.

One of the unmarried nieces, a nubile 14 year old, came home full of the story about how she'd been followed a round the shop by a Farang, about sixty years old, and who... wait for it.... smelled very bad!

Not being sixty won't get you out of it either, you know we all look the same to them, regardless of age. (My wife assures me we don't all smell the same).

Edited by sceadugenga

This is a real worry mate - sorry to read about it. I hope it is an isolated incident and not a sign of the times in CR. Could she provide a description of the man? Would be worthwhile just letting the local BIB know - at this stage they probably won't be able to do anything but it helps if they have reports to build up a profile and be aware of his presence.

I certainly hope it was just a case of 14 yo over imagination and nothing more sinister. Anyone else on the forum hears of similar occurences in town?

CB

It's no big worry mate, she was laughing about it when she got back.

You rarely see young Thai girls shopping alone and I can't see one getting the sort of hassle she would get in a "civilised" country.

I think it was just some wanke_r with a "all Thai women are hookers" complex.

High on Mr Donut coffee and free tastings outside KFC!!!!

Wiley, I can see I have to PM you my cell phone number incase this ever happens again! Tell them to save me a couple of wings, takes me 20 minutes to get to town.

Edited by sceadugenga

This is a real worry mate - sorry to read about it. I hope it is an isolated incident and not a sign of the times in CR. Could she provide a description of the man? Would be worthwhile just letting the local BIB know - at this stage they probably won't be able to do anything but it helps if they have reports to build up a profile and be aware of his presence.

I certainly hope it was just a case of 14 yo over imagination and nothing more sinister. Anyone else on the forum hears of similar occurences in town?

CB

I do certainly hope that this is an incident....please stay home dirty farang!

Hey Guys

I find having just read this thread, it to be innapropriate on various counts

1, The title can be taken as humourous on what is a very sensitive subject. (protection of children)

2, This is an unsubstaniated allegation (generic farang male middle age)

3, Decription "smells bad" Very subjective if not insulting to any racial group,

4, Sugestion to notify B.I.B. (dont know what this is) but suspect if its a child protection agency they would be using their resources

more usefully at the go-go bars in town.

5, Supports the Idea middle age single men unacompanied in Thailand are sex tourists.

As the Managing Director of a U.K. Security Company we oftenly arrest people for theft, a high percentage of these are young males

wearing hooded sweatshirts "hoodies" I continualy have to remind my staff that this does not mean all youths in "hoodies" are criminals

its very easy to make that jump without noticing.

The other day I came out of the D.V.D. rental shop, it was dark, and realised the middle aged Thai women,just infront of me,had the sudden fear that I was following her.not so but she crossed the road at the place I would normaly cross to,I remained on my side to alleviate her fearful projection

If this was one of my daughters, I have six, I would have expected her,if at all worried ,in what is a very public place to have reconected with

the group the O.P. says she was with,

Im not against humour and chewing the fat, but lets choose a less charged subject to do that and not one that has such important undertones

Hey Guys

1, The title can be taken as humourous on what is a very sensitive subject. (protection of children)

3, Decription "smells bad" Very subjective if not insulting to any racial group,

4, Sugestion to notify B.I.B. (dont know what this is) but suspect if its a child protection agency they would be using their resources

5, Supports the Idea middle age single men unacompanied in Thailand are sex tourists.

As the Managing Director of a U.K. Security Company we oftenly arrest people for theft, a high percentage of these are young males

wearing hooded sweatshirts "hoodies" I continualy have to remind my staff that this does not mean all youths in "hoodies" are criminals

The other day I came out of the D.V.D. rental shop, it was dark, and realised the middle aged Thai women,just infront of me,had the sudden fear that I was following her.not so but she crossed the road at the place I would normaly cross to,I remained on my side to alleviate her fearful projection

If this was one of my daughters, I have six, I would have expected her,if at all worried ,in what is a very public place to have reconected with

Im not against humour and chewing the fat, but lets choose a less charged subject to do that and not one that has such important undertones

I agree with your comments ..

More important - seems to be that some here would start some questionable legal/(illegal?) investigative actions against a person who has apparently not done anything illegal .. unless "smelling bad" is illegal ..

* BIB is slang (Boys in Brown) for police.

Edited by klikster

Hey Guys

You've obviously put a lot more thought into your reply than I put into the OP.

There's not really much I can add other than the whole family was laughing about it. The girl was never in any danger and there was never any suggestion that the police be involved.

I think (and I speak for myself) that we tend to revert to a more innocent age when we live in rural Thailand. It's almost like a time warp back to the 50's in our home countries. Sure bad things happened then but we weren't as paranoid about them as we are now.

This girl lives in a village where two of her cousins married at fourteen; she, and the family, considers herself to be an adult. She's 1.5 metres of stocky muscle and would have kicked the ass big time of any sixty year old farang that tried to grab her. The two husbands of her cousins were close enough to run across and help trample the remains.

I've seen a number of places where children were preyed upon and little was done about it and I guess that knowing that kids can live more safely here than they can in a lot of Western countries led me to joke about appeared to be a harmless incident.

I apologise to any smelly farangs who took offence, I had no intention of type casting you as people who get their jollies stalking teenagers in supermarkets.

No offence taken S I just wanted to focus this entire thread on its perhaps innapropriatness given the subject matter,

Regardless of social customs here amongst hilltribe folk,a 14 year old is a child, any farang involvment sexualy carries sever penalties both here and in at least Europe.

We should be "careful" of sending the wrong signals to damaged people here,as well as being careful of not starting a whitch hunt that encourages not thoughtful debate but rather a lynch mob mentality where some perhaps innocent person could become vilified with perhaps dire personal consequences to their reputation.

This forum I am sure wishes to be socialy responcable.(cue moderators)

No offence taken S I just wanted to focus this entire thread on its perhaps innapropriatness given the subject matter,

The OP was to raise awareness of the situation and yes there was a certain low key to it but unlike the rest of this forum he was there at the time and better able to assess the situation

Regardless of social customs here amongst hilltribe folk,a 14 year old is a child, any farang involvment sexualy carries sever penalties both here and in at least Europe.

One of the many dangers in transferring European/Western standards on Asian ie Thai is that what is law or custom there is not necessarily so here. If the parents of the girl agree to the marriage and it is with a boy of the same enthnic group or Thai it is legal in this country for her to marry at age 15 or younger. Also be aware of the different terms used to say Marriage in Thailand. There is social marriage ie within the community everyone knows they are a partner (de facto) and Legal Marriage where the two go to the Amphur and get a marriage certificate. Both will say they are married and within Thai society they are however the latter has more stringent rules.

We should be "careful" of sending the wrong signals to damaged people here,as well as being careful of not starting a whitch hunt that encourages not thoughtful debate but rather a lynch mob mentality where some perhaps innocent person could become vilified with perhaps dire personal consequences to

their reputation.

I don't think the wrong message was sent - no one advocated getting out the tar, feathers and a length of rope. What was done was to raise awareness within the forum of the POTENTIAL situation.

If in the future you see a post that you believe to be offensive or inappropriate to the Thai Visa forum - press the report button and a message will be sent to all on line super moderators to make their assessment and take whatever action they deem appropriate.

regards

Crow Boy

Moderating Team

Thai Visa

The OP was to raise awareness of the situation and yes there was a certain low key to it but unlike the rest of this forum he was there at the time and better able to assess the situation

One of the many dangers in transferring European/Western standards on Asian ie Thai is that what is law or custom there is not necessarily so here. If the parents of the girl agree to the marriage and it is with a boy of the same enthnic group or Thai it is legal in this country for her to marry at age 15 or younger. Also be aware of the different terms used to say Marriage in Thailand. There is social marriage ie within the community everyone knows they are a partner (de facto) and Legal Marriage where the two go to the Amphur and get a marriage certificate. Both will say they are married and within Thai society they are however the latter has more stringent rules.

We should be "careful" of sending the wrong signals to damaged people here,as well as being careful of not starting a whitch hunt that encourages not thoughtful debate but rather a lynch mob mentality where some perhaps innocent person could become vilified with perhaps dire personal consequences to

their reputation.

I don't think the wrong message was sent - no one advocated getting out the tar, feathers and a length of rope. What was done was to raise awareness within the forum of the POTENTIAL situation.

If in the future you see a post that you believe to be offensive or inappropriate to the Thai Visa forum - press the report button and a message will be sent to all on line super moderators to make their assessment and take whatever action they deem appropriate.

regards

Crow Boy

Moderating Team

Thai Visa

I wish to correct some misinterprations and factual innacuracies of what I/You said here could you advise me of the medium to address this to, is it here,by p.m. or report

Edited by Keithangel

Though the family had a laugh about this, it's rather disturbing.

If the guy followed her in a very public place, it suggests he is not in much control of his actions or has "misunderstandings" about his environment.

I'd alert the staff, at least. He probably frequents the store.

Also, have a chat with her to clear up any concerns that might be lurking.

Haha, first time I read this thread. Yes, do you remember when you go to Big C, you see another farang and then you see him/her everywhere for the rest of the shopping session? Who is that guy/girl? Why do we keep ending up in the same places in Big C? My god!! Stalker (I´m very easy to stalk, 6f3). dam_n, call the police because Big C is a stalking venue, make way for Carrefour.

Come on you guys... stalking around high schools would be alot easier wouldn´t it? Regular hours.

Yes, do you remember when you go to Big C, you see another farang and then you see him/her everywhere for the rest of the shopping session? Who is that guy/girl? Why do we keep ending up in the same places in Big C? My god!!

Now, that is a strange fact about shopping in the big supermarkets here. One starts to feel embarrassed :D on turning the corner and finding THAT SAME FARANG sniffing around the cheese section. And then in the pickle section. Sausages. And so on. Both studiously avoiding eye contact. And then - oh, :o - how did you end up behind them in the checkout queue ? Is some bizarre sub-conscious impulse compelling me to stalk elderly Scandanavians in shorts ?

Some weirdo following a 14 y.o. around is a bit creepy, though.

I think the answer is 'Up to you'...

Acknowledging other people's presence is never wrong I guess. That being said, there are so many resident foreigners where I live (Chiang Mai) that it would feel awkward saying hi to everyone just because they happen to be foreigners too.

I will usually at least nod if I pass close to somebody and get eye contact.