Landslide In Patong

lordofdelusion

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the entire picture yet but it seems the bulldozer work near my home on Nanai/Soi 9 in Patong, combined with heavy or persistent rains has caused a mudslide on the side of the hill. This in turn has caused one house to fall into the ravine and appears to have undermined the foundations of a block of condo's which have now been evacuated. My house is ok, or so I'm told but the water supply to the area has been ruptured. From what I hear (I'm in Bangkok) the now on-site insurance folks are saying the units are not covered for this type of eventuality and all fingers are pointing to the "planning" folks at City Hall. If anyone is looking for new tenants there's a host of them wandering around the parking lot at the top of Soi 9. And since my house now has no water I shall also be looking.

Chang Mai, your house is Ok, and the public services (electric/water/phone) are working ...

No actually houses fallen down, but one villa almost there.

The 3 end 5 floor apartments (=12 homes) seem to be evacuated as the that building is in danger of sliding if any more rain. The fountation footings are fully exposed, and not anchoring the building.

Wonder who is going to pay for repairs ... owner, project, builder, or ??

Edited by LivinginKata

Actually, the water was just restored here at 1540 after they were able to re-route a pipe. The rain began to fall at the same time!! The fate of the the buildings pictured above is in question but I hear from one owner that the insurance company has indicated they are not covered. Still early, things may change, but for now the task of stabilizing these 5 story buildings while the rain continues remains a difficult task.

amazingly , there are 3 or 4 people still on the balconies of that 5 storey building.

probably in shock.

Yes, we were all commenting about those people while looking from afar. Guess they might be some of the owners in shock about how much money they have invested in the building. I believe 2 of the 5 floors belong to one local (Irish) hotelier and the 3rd (on the left) to a Brit business man.

amazingly , there are 3 or 4 people still on the balconies of that 5 storey building.

probably in shock.

A lot of lookey loos out today. They evacuate because it isn't safe and then people go stand in the evacuated area. Duh?? Let me play psychic. Tomorrow's first thread, " Idiots killed in building collapse"

probably in shock.

I was thinking the same...

MORE amazingly is that in the photo of the villa there are 3 people standing on a balcony on the back of the house (next to the Banana/Palm leaves....) :o

LaoPo

You may be interested to see:

Interview - Dr Suttisak Soralump, Head of the Geotechnical Engineering Research & Development Center of Kasetsart University, Chairat Suk-kaban, Deputy Mayor of Patong Municipality,

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=184373

right click on camera to save target as....

Our interview is with Dr Suttisak Soralump, Head of the Geotechnical Engineering Research & Development Center of Kasetsart University, who identifies risky areas for landslides in Andaman coastal areas, especially Patong, together with reactions from Chairat Suk-kaban, Deputy Mayor of Patong Municipality, during a meeting on Landslides arranged by the Asian Disaster Preparedness Center and funded by the Norwegian Government, and held at Phuket Graceland Resort & Spa. Dr Suttisak first explains about his survey on his laptop computer:

……...

[email protected]

www.adpc.net

Interview for Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket City, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 8.30am & later on Phuket Cable channel 1 at 12 midday, 10.30pm, & 01.30am , Tuesday 22 August 2006 & www.Thaisnews.com { Our news text and mini-videos can be freely copied and posted on other websites, but please give credit to Andaman News TV11 Phuket}

They were having a similar meeting today when news of this landslide came in; we will have a report on Monday's Andaman News.

If you have video of any landslide in action please email [email protected]

There's a greater disaster waiting in Nanai, where the road goes up the hill to chalong.

There are rows and rows of multi-storey guest houses, one behind the other. If one at the back goes, it'll take out all the others in front of it.

The steepness of the land is extreme.

Why is this happening? Everything in Patong is built with western standards!

That was a joke right?!

I've spent 5 years in the property business in Phuket and could probably count on one hand number of projects that would pass european building regulations...

Just wait and see, there are more stories like this to come(down)... Unfortunately.

And I just love how they start a hillside housing project by cutting down ALL the trees and roots that normaly offers at least a little support to the soil.

I do hope that we get lucky though, and never get any casulties as a result from these greedy developers

:o

Yes, I was being sarcastic. And the people who live in those hills better not complain. I have zero sympathy for them. They should have known better. But you know what? They will continue to build in them thar hills and cut down more hills and mountains.

Just look at that half mountain gone before you get to Gems Gallery off bypass road. That is a disaster waiting to happen. And it will.

I would be very very surprised if insurance companies have policies for those homes. If they do, they are more stupid than I thought.

That was a joke right?!

I've spent 5 years in the property business in Phuket and could probably count on one hand number of projects that would pass european building regulations...

Just wait and see, there are more stories like this to come(down)... Unfortunately.

And I just love how they start a hillside housing project by cutting down ALL the trees and roots that normaly offers at least a little support to the soil.

I do hope that we get lucky though, and never get any casulties as a result from these greedy developers

What a pleasant person you are!
no sympathy from me ..................

obviously a matter of when not if .

quite simply ,

there are too many genuine deserving cases GLOBALLY ,

to be concerned about the result of greed and stupidity for some well to do folks who built / purchased in a stupid location , OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL ,

nope , NO Sympathy .

That was a joke right?!

I do hope that we get lucky though, and never get any casulties as a result from these greedy developers

Eh? You obviously weren't here 2 years ago>>>>

27 November 2005, 11: 33 GMT

Landslides caused by torrential rains claimed two lives in Patong Friday night and injured four others, according to Patong Hospital. The downpour also caused extensive flooding in Phuket City and many other parts of the island. Padungkiat Utoksenee, Deputy Director of Patong Hospital, said that while flooding in Patong often resulted in accidents, last night was the first time people had been killed by a landslide. He said the victims were a Thai mother and her child who lived on the densely-settled Nanai Road. The landslide crashed through the wall of their dwelling, he said. Much of the construction of Nanai Road is in direct violation of a provincial ban on building permanent structures higher than 80 meters above sea level, and other building codes. The parking lot of Patong Hospital was knee-deep in floodwater, like other parts of the town.

Nearly every road in Phuket City experienced flooding, as did roads in Cherng Talay. More heavy rain is expected. (Source: The Phuket Gazette)

My mate lives in the Beverley Hills apartments and has evacuated.

What a pleasant person you are!
no sympathy from me ..................

obviously a matter of when not if .

quite simply ,

there are too many genuine deserving cases GLOBALLY ,

to be concerned about the result of greed and stupidity for some well to do folks who built / purchased in a stupid location , OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL ,

nope , NO Sympathy .

I suspect that no one is asking for or wants sympathy, other than perhaps the grieving the families of the people who died in the incident. Having said that, I doubt that anyone needed to hear that you have none to give - it's just one of those things in life that you keep to yourself and doesn't need to be said.

I suspect that no one is asking for or wants sympathy, other than perhaps the grieving the families of the people who died in the incident. Having said that, I doubt that anyone needed to hear that you have none to give - it's just one of those things in life that you keep to yourself and doesn't need to be said.

Deaths ??

and as for silence and things not needing to be said ,

better men than you and I died for the right .......................

There's a greater disaster waiting in Nanai, where the road goes up the hill to chalong.

There are rows and rows of multi-storey guest houses, one behind the other. If one at the back goes, it'll take out all the others in front of it.

The steepness of the land is extreme.

i think its the same place you are talking about Sir Burr. Well, the apartments you refer to are on the left, just after you turn into 50 Pii Road, and this place is just on the right, so they are very close to each other.

i was just up there and took some pics, which i will attach to this message.

whilst i was there i was talking to a thai man who lives just on the other side of the road. he tells me that there is a couple of families with young kids living in the houses below the area that is sliding. they are still staying in the houses, and he is worried that the land will slip in the middle of the night and all will be gone.

this man is a rubber farmer and owns 8 rai opposite where the problem is. he has been offered good money for his land, but he said that he isnt interested in selling as he would rather keep the land for his kids. he added that if he did sell it, the trees will all be torn down and the whole area will 'fall down'.

there is one reason for this only and its sheer greed (in my humble opinion).

oh, and nobody has died as a result of this yet.

post-10685-1193480087_thumb.jpg

post-10685-1193480115_thumb.jpg

post-10685-1193480180_thumb.jpg

post-10685-1193480228_thumb.jpg

post-10685-1193480247_thumb.jpg

Deaths ??

and as for silence and things not needing to be said ,

better men than you and I died for the right .......................

Post number 22 in this thread states that two people died but I've just realized the article is from two year ago. So as Donna stated, there are no known deaths. My apologies for the misread.

Edited by chiang mai

and here's the people who ARE deserving of sympathy in this incident ,

though there was no immediate mention made of them ...................

The slump occurred around 1 am, when exposed earth suddenly slumped down onto a construction workers camp below. An 18-month-old Burmese child trapped in the camp was rescued a few hours later. There were no reports of serious injury.

Phuket Gazette

and here's the people who ARE deserving of sympathy in this incident ,

though there was no immediate mention made of them ...................

The slump occurred around 1 am, when exposed earth suddenly slumped down onto a construction workers camp below. An 18-month-old Burmese child trapped in the camp was rescued a few hours later. There were no reports of serious injury.

Phuket Gazette

You know Mid, you seem to be making a meal out of all of this and that's probably ok - but you should try our pies, they are much more satisfying!

You are right of course the Burmese child does deserve sympathy but from where I sit the owners of some of the property affected by all of this (I am not one of them) really do deserve some sympathy also. Case in point is one (not young) lady who viewed buying one of the condo's as a retirement home and her future must surely be uncertain now. I don't know the cause of the mudslide but suspect strongly it has been caused by deforestation and groundworks somewhere. My sympathies go to that lady because someone else's lack of thought, care and possibly greed has compromised her present and her future. Do my sympathies go out to others who may have speculated or made investment decisions based on sheer greed? Whilst I may have a personal view I consider it would be crass to share it with the community at this time.